Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

TulliusCicero posted:

Were people always this loving gullible and stupid, and the internet just amplified this, or is this a new trend?

To repeat a popular meme
Your parents in 1996: Don't trust ANYONE on the Internet.
Your parents in 2016: Freedom Eagle dot Facebook says Hillary invented AIDS.

I mentioned earlier about my own first exposure to conspiracy theories, reading the Principa Discordia in 1997 etc. And I remember at the time, when I brought up these conspiracy theories with "adults", they would basically scoff and tell me to be realistic.

So yeah, I also wonder this. This is my working theory:

Baby Boomers grew up in a time of limited information flow. They would have had three-five television channels, one or two daily papers, Time and Newsweek. There were tabloids and gossip magazines, and there was also more "intellectual" journals, but in general, there was a "mainstream" of information. And, while those sources may sometimes be contextually inaccurate, a boomer could be pretty sure if they read something, it was true. (Even most tabloids and gossip magazines couldn't create a story out of nowhere)

Boomers were able to tell the difference between "truth" and "fiction", but it was a matter of distinguishing form, but not really understanding. Something in the local newspaper was true because The Smithville Journal was a respected paper with a big office building. Then, suddenly, they don't have these gatekeepers anymore. They get an e-Mail forward that says that Mr. Rogers was an army sniper and they read it with the same type of credulity that they would have read an article in the Smithville Journal that Smithville City Council had approved a 2 million dollar sewer bond. Like, prior to 2010 or so, 95% of what they read could be considered to be true (if incomplete). The presupposition that all reading is critical reading wasn't necessary, and now it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Satanic panic in the 80s was pretty much the exact same thing as Q and was way way way way more mainstream than Q ever will ever get close to. And the "Jews sneak around and eat blood" stuff that is updated with modern cyber nonsense was a thing all of europe actually was sure was true for a while. All this Q stuff is way less mainstream than it was in the past.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I think you're overthinking it glowing-fish. These people voted for Trump because they thought he would drain the swamp, restore American industry, etc. Now that he's in charge and none of those things have happened, they either need to accept they got taken in by a incompetent conman or go through increasingly elaborate contortions to save their egos. See, he's not under federal investigation, he's actually a secret double agent helping catch the REAL pedophiles.

Edit: To some degree everyone does this, but not everyone has a vast propaganda network dedicated to preserving their delusions.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 11, 2018

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Xand_Man posted:

I think you're overthinking it glowing-fish. These people voted for Trump because they thought he would drain the swamp, restore American industry, etc. Now that he's in charge and none of those things have happened, they either need to accept they got taken in by a incompetent conman or go through increasingly elaborate contortions to save their egos. See, he's not under federal investigation, he's actually a secret double agent helping catch the REAL pedophiles.

Edit: To some degree everyone does this, but not everyone has a vast propaganda network dedicated to preserving their delusions.

Oh, I wasn't referring to just QAnon, or even to Trump supporters, etc. Although they are currently some of the loudest and most obvious representatives of Boomer credulity, it is also apparent that there is the entire parallel left-wing/liberal etc. Facebook world for Angry Conspirational Boomers, as well as things that both "left" and "right" conspirationalists believe: that Big Pharma has a cancer cure but wants to keep making money, etc. And then just neutral misinformation, stuff like celebrity rumors, "secret ingredients" in food, stuff like that. All of that stuff is just kind of the substratum of credulity that more ornate conspiracy theories rest on.

But it could be that I am mismeasuring "adult" maturity against my own memories and perceptions. Like, there was always this misinformation being passed around "You only use 10% of your brain" "You swallow eight spiders a year", but those things were more cute when they were conversational tidbits that just kind of wafted around limply, instead of directed, virulent, and evolving claims that mutated every day.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So a dude stole a plane from the Seattle airport and well it may rile the Qs a bit.

https://twitter.com/EndDeepState/status/1028128365268664321

Edit: looks like was suicide by plane hijack. Not sure if he crashed or was shot down.

https://twitter.com/jwsthomson/status/1028134044502908929

Zil fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 11, 2018

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Zil posted:

So a dude stole a plane from the Seattle airport and well it may rile the Qs a bit.

https://twitter.com/EndDeepState/status/1028128365268664321

Edit: looks like was suicide by plane hijack. Not sure if he crashed or was shot down.

https://twitter.com/jwsthomson/status/1028134044502908929

I was just joking that the Q400 would rile up the galaxy brains. Sure enough, the decoding has begun.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 11, 2018

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

TulliusCicero posted:

I was just joking that the Q400 would rile up the galaxy brains. Sure enough, the decoding has begun.

Over a dozen threads on it on /r/GA alone. The model number and tail number of the plane contain "Q" and one of them started a rumor that the island that it crashed on has 17 people on it. Some of them are losing their poo poo, some of them are "like come on guys listen to the tower tapes, this isn't anything important."

Found this freeper-level poo poo when I was looking around.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Someone explain trip codes to me. In that pastebin he lists off a few trip codes that “Q” has used. Why would Q have used multiple codes? The way I understand it is that you input a secret and the algorithm outputs a string that corresponds to that particular secret. So if Q posted with a code “imdumb” and he later posts with “imstupid” how do people know imdumb and imstupid are the same people? Does the imstupid person need to give out the secret that generates the imdumb code?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

Someone explain trip codes to me. In that pastebin he lists off a few trip codes that “Q” has used. Why would Q have used multiple codes? The way I understand it is that you input a secret and the algorithm outputs a string that corresponds to that particular secret. So if Q posted with a code “imdumb” and he later posts with “imstupid” how do people know imdumb and imstupid are the same people? Does the imstupid person need to give out the secret that generates the imdumb code?

You understand correctly. The thing is, tripcodes are not meant to be particularly secure or hard to crack. After all, posting with a name is kind of the opposite of the point of 4chan. Q has been switching every so often and posting the (non-secret) output string of the next one he's going to use, iirc.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So it’s essentially like the whole “take a picture of yourself with the following words on a piece of paper” thing that people doing AMAs do?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lmao, this together with the rumors that Sacha Baron Cohen is Q is just :discourse:

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

glowing-fish posted:

But it could be that I am mismeasuring "adult" maturity against my own memories and perceptions. Like, there was always this misinformation being passed around "You only use 10% of your brain" "You swallow eight spiders a year", but those things were more cute when they were conversational tidbits that just kind of wafted around limply, instead of directed, virulent, and evolving claims that mutated every day.

Like Owlofcreamcheese said, both the Satanic Panic and Daycare Abuse Panic of the 80's/early 90's were far more savage and depressing than the Q conspiracy, and achieved it without a single tweet or Facebook rant. On the one hand, you had Geraldo Rivera earnestly telling everyone about the evils of heavy metal; less funnily, the only thing stopping these investigations from being literal witch hunts was the fact that no-one was hanged or sent to the stake. Many of those imprisoned and/or ruined by these allegations never got an apology, let alone financial restitution.

A substantial amount of the panic-spreading was done by memoirs written by the parents of the supposed victims, who suddenly found themselves weird celebrities; the rest was down to talking tours carried out by some dodgy psychologists, who reckoned they had a quasi-magical ability to get children to recall abuse. As a result, Anglophone countries were affected far worse than anywhere else. 'Not My Child: A Mother Confronts Her Child's Sexual Abuse' is typical of the type, and here are two reviews from what I guess would now be called the MSM, endorsing it as essentially factual:

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/patricia-crowley/not-my-child-a-mother-confronts-her-childs-sexu/
https://www.nytimes.com/1991/08/18/nyregion/mother-s-story-of-child-abuse-at-nursery.html

The accused teacher in this case, who was 23 when she was supposedly raping toddlers with cutlery, apparently without doing them injury, was released in 1993 after she'd served five years. Bernard Baran was locked up for 21 years, and was still trying to have his criminal record expunged when he died in 2014.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Lmao, this together with the rumors that Sacha Baron Cohen is Q is just :discourse:

:nsavince:

Sacha Baron Cohen would do a better job of it, though.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Carnival of Shrews posted:

A substantial amount of the panic-spreading was done by memoirs written by the parents of the supposed victims, who suddenly found themselves weird celebrities; the rest was down to talking tours carried out by some dodgy psychologists, who reckoned they had a quasi-magical ability to get children to recall abuse.

Turns out you can get kids to say whatever you want them to say by applying high-powered interrogation techniques. I remember some of the supposed signs of satanic ritual abuse being entirely normal things for kids like bed wetting and nightmares. So then you'd call in the expert to interrogate your kid until he or she un-repressed the memories of the evil satanic clown rapist at the daycare.

And the legal system took this entirely seriously, which is why the satanic panic was much more dangerous than Q.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

McGlockenshire posted:

Over a dozen threads on it on /r/GA alone. The model number and tail number of the plane contain "Q" and one of them started a rumor that the island that it crashed on has 17 people on it. Some of them are losing their poo poo, some of them are "like come on guys listen to the tower tapes, this isn't anything important."

Found this freeper-level poo poo when I was looking around.

I wish just one of these chucklefucks would do the slightest bit of research and look up what "Allah" means.

Also :lol: yes, high IQ white Christians with guns are the only thing stopping the globalist cabal.

2 things that require a high IQ: being a white Christian with a gun and watching Rick and Morty! :downs:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

glowing-fish posted:

Oh, I wasn't referring to just QAnon, or even to Trump supporters, etc. Although they are currently some of the loudest and most obvious representatives of Boomer credulity, it is also apparent that there is the entire parallel left-wing/liberal etc. Facebook world for Angry Conspirational Boomers, as well as things that both "left" and "right" conspirationalists believe: that Big Pharma has a cancer cure but wants to keep making money, etc. And then just neutral misinformation, stuff like celebrity rumors, "secret ingredients" in food, stuff like that. All of that stuff is just kind of the substratum of credulity that more ornate conspiracy theories rest on.

There's not a multibillion dollar industry feeding disinfo to the left-wing cranks, is the major difference.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Carnival of Shrews posted:

:nsavince:

Sacha Baron Cohen would do a better job of it, though.

I dunno. Sacha Baron Cohen has the spectacular ability to always perfectly disguise himself as "Sacha Baron Cohen in a disguise". The reason his bits are so funny is that the only people who actually get fooled by them are the dumbest people alive and he cuts out any footage of someone saying "This is obviously fake, gently caress off".

Also he'd probably have stopped after the first arrests and attempted murders.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Sacha Baren Cohen would have gotten them to start wearing shirts saying "I am a fuQhead" or something at least 3-4 months ago.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

AnoHito posted:

Sacha Baren Cohen would have gotten them to start wearing shirts saying "I am a fuQhead" or something at least 3-4 months ago.

"Trump for Q!"

oh ok
Oct 11, 2004

Alternate... universe... Shauna... fails... BECHAMEL TEST.

(Passim)

chitoryu12 posted:

I dunno. Sacha Baron Cohen has the spectacular ability to always perfectly disguise himself as "Sacha Baron Cohen in a disguise".

It's hard for me to believe that some of these people are really falling for it for that reason, the makeup and disguises are so obvious and exaggerated. "Colonel Erran Moran" looked like Robbie Rotten from Lazytown.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pope Guilty posted:

There's not a multibillion dollar industry feeding disinfo to the left-wing cranks, is the major difference.

Allow me to introduce you to the awful world of supplements, essential oils, and "cleanses".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

chitoryu12 posted:

I dunno. Sacha Baron Cohen has the spectacular ability to always perfectly disguise himself as "Sacha Baron Cohen in a disguise". The reason his bits are so funny is that the only people who actually get fooled by them are the dumbest people alive and he cuts out any footage of someone saying "This is obviously fake, gently caress off".

I don't know about this. Somehow the ones who are allegedly smart enough to see through SBC never spread the word so their fellow travelers are forewarned. This poo poo has, as far as I can see, super tight opsec until it's time to market it for airing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I don't know about this. Somehow the ones who are allegedly smart enough to see through SBC never spread the word so their fellow travelers are forewarned. This poo poo has, as far as I can see, super tight opsec until it's time to market it for airing.

Pretty much everything has been insanely obvious though. It's not like Cohen is some master of disguise and manipulation. He looks exactly like Sacha Baron Cohen wearing silly clothes, bad makeup, and putting on a funny accent and makes people do bizarre and offensive things on camera. The only person who would actually fall for one of his tricks is either in on the joke or a complete dunderhead (which, admittedly, every single one of his targets for this one have been).

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

chitoryu12 posted:

Pretty much everything has been insanely obvious though. It's not like Cohen is some master of disguise and manipulation. He looks exactly like Sacha Baron Cohen wearing silly clothes, bad makeup, and putting on a funny accent and makes people do bizarre and offensive things on camera. The only person who would actually fall for one of his tricks is either in on the joke or a complete dunderhead (which, admittedly, every single one of his targets for this one have been).

i'm guessing some 60+ republican probably hasn't watched Borat

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

botany posted:

i'm guessing some 60+ republican probably hasn't watched Borat

The prosthetics are extremely obvious, even watching on a small screen. In some scenes you can even clearly see the transition lines.

If the interviewed people are not in on the joke or doing it for publicity, they must be pants on head retarded or half blind. (Or both)

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The prosthetics are extremely obvious, even watching on a small screen. In some scenes you can even clearly see the transition lines.

If the interviewed people are not in on the joke or doing it for publicity, they must be pants on head retarded or half blind. (Or both)

A Georgia state rep had to step down after he chased Cohen around with his bare rear end so I'm guessing they're not in on the joke.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arpaio's defense is that he didn't hear Cohen clearly and thought he was asking if he'd say yes if Trump offered him a job, without hearing the "blow" part.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

Arpaio's defense is that he didn't hear Cohen clearly and thought he was asking if he'd say yes if Trump offered him a job, without hearing the "blow" part.

He's old as poo poo, so it's possible he didn't hear the whole thing (especially with SBC's accents) but no less funny.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

People are much more willing to believe something if it flatters their worldview, especially if their worldview is full of cartoonish oversimplification. That was also the premise to Borat.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Keep in mind these people are loving addicted to being on camera and assume that they can't be made a fool of because they're smart.

They don't care about the weirdo interviewing them, they're just pleased as punch to have a platform to talk about themselves.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
He very much picks people who are desperate to get to say what they want to say on tv and that need makes them ignore the little voice that says "something about this seems odd" until they're maybe too deep into it if at all. They've signed releases with a production company and there's a camera crew and they've had makeup applied and they're going to be featured on a tv show and if the host seems a bit off, so what? They're not going to walk away at that point.

E: what you guys said yeah. Shoulda refreshed.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

1stGear posted:

A Georgia state rep had to step down after he chased Cohen around with his bare rear end so I'm guessing they're not in on the joke.

Trying to chase away a terrorist with his naked rear end while screaming sand friend of the family was probably a big hit with his base and gave him a lot of exposure. Made him seem really committed to the cause. I mean, he is batshit insane human garbage, it's not like he was ever going to be a big hit with the non-braindamaged demographic anyway. His entire goal has always been to cater to the trash people demographic and those types really love what he did.

I guess I'm still not 100% convinced that he wasn't in on the whole thing. How the gently caress do you not see the prosthetics?

Luigi's Discount Porn Bin
Jul 19, 2000

Oven Wrangler

Trying to chase away a terrorist with his naked rear end while screaming sand friend of the family was probably a big hit with his base and gave him a lot of exposure. Made him seem really committed to the cause. I mean, he is batshit insane human garbage, it's not like he was ever going to be a big hit with the non-braindamaged demographic anyway. His entire goal has always been to cater to the trash people demographic and those types really love what he did.

I guess I'm still not 100% convinced that he wasn't in on the whole thing. How the gently caress do you not see the prosthetics?
He resigned in disgrace though https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/25/jason-spencer-to-resign-after-appearance-on-sacha-baron-cohen-show

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Satanic Panic was taken super seriously in the 80s and 90s to a level Q could only dream of.

Police took it seriously enough, or at least some did, to use it as basis of investigations. There were people who billed themselves as Satanic Experts, mostly Pastors and supposit former cultists who turned to Jesus, and other Evangelical Busy Bodies. A body would turn up at some remote area or abandoned building, and the Expert would see someone spray painted Iron Maiden on the wall and say "Iron Maidens were used by Satanists to drain the blood of Christians for their rituals" and then the cops would stop looking at the actual evidence and go looking for some edgelord teen that listens to metal and has a pentigram on his cut off jean jacket.

This a pretty good summery of the whole thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBf35HS6atU

Imagine if there was videos out there sent to LEO about how to identify child drug rings and face removal ceremonies?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

So wait, you think that they'd recognize him without his latest outfit as being someone who mocks those he interviews? Because I suspect that those who recognized him at all either declined interviews or avoided any bait.

But you don't make the show out of the boring interviews and the people who didn't agree to show up.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Trying to chase away a terrorist with his naked rear end while screaming sand friend of the family was probably a big hit with his base and gave him a lot of exposure.

by the time this episode aired he had already lost the primary to regain his seat and was just serving out the rest of his term. and then basically everyone yelled at him from the governor to his fellow lawmakers to his constituents so he had to resign, even though if he just served out his term he would have gotten free healthcare for life for his family

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Satanic Panic was taken super seriously in the 80s and 90s to a level Q could only dream of.

Police took it seriously enough, or at least some did, to use it as basis of investigations. There were people who billed themselves as Satanic Experts, mostly Pastors and supposit former cultists who turned to Jesus, and other Evangelical Busy Bodies. A body would turn up at some remote area or abandoned building, and the Expert would see someone spray painted Iron Maiden on the wall and say "Iron Maidens were used by Satanists to drain the blood of Christians for their rituals" and then the cops would stop looking at the actual evidence and go looking for some edgelord teen that listens to metal and has a pentigram on his cut off jean jacket.

Imagine if there was videos out there sent to LEO about how to identify child drug rings and face removal ceremonies?

Seeing videos of “converted witches/Satanic leaders” grifters is never not funny because it’s obvious to anyone who isn’t an idiot how much they’re clearly bullshitting through everything they’re saying

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah, law enforcement somehow taking all of this stuff seriously is the most baffling aspect of the Satanic Panic to me. There are a bunch of videos floating around YouTube that are police training videos, and a lot of them are just straight-up produced by Evangelical churches. Hell, one of them even has the overtone of "Well, you can't arrest a Satanist just for being a Satanist, because they have freedom of religion under the first amendment, which is stupid, maybe we should do something about that [wink wink wink]".

It's just weird to think that entire police forces were totally buying into the idea that secret Satanist cabals could be sacrificing babies in their tiny towns, and the only way you can find them out is by looking for heavy metal records and maybe candles.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Seeing videos of “converted witches/Satanic leaders” grifters is never not funny because it’s obvious to anyone who isn’t an idiot how much they’re clearly bullshitting through everything they’re saying

It was effective, though. Launched a lot of lucrative, if fleeting, careers. That whole "converted ex-leader" concept is still kicking around in Evangelical-land, only nowadays it's usually "ex-Muslims" talking about the two hidden pillars of Islam and poo poo.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Gaming Pro Tip!: check behind the leftmost Hidden Pillar of Islam to find a secret Chaos Emerald

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

SatansOnion posted:

Gaming Pro Tip!: check behind the leftmost Hidden Pillar of Islam to find a secret Chaos Emerald

Is that before or after I input the commands for Super Jesus?