Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

It's almost like urban planning is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Seattle and "planning" are two words that don't go together. Sons of the Profits is a good book about the founding of the city by the guy who started the underground tour.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

sarah smith up by 2,600 votes now after this afternoon’s ballot drop

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

5th district dems out at the Festival at Mt Si. Happy, energized, with a dozen people outside chatting about politics. Apparently Bill Ramos got to 8000 houses personally.

Dino for Congress also at the festival. One middle aged white guy looking very unhappy.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Cicero posted:

Is there no "make new building with space for Showbox on the ground floor" compromise option?

Personally I'm pro-Showbox, there are plenty of other places for a 44 story condo building to go. developers are already swallowing the lots next door. I think at the very least its important for those that care about Seattle show culture to give it a shot. Test the mechanisms of preservation, not just let capital decide it wants more places to stash money.

I'm getting pushed out of my block by development this month. My rent is doubled and I have a 84 unit building going in next door. That is fine.

The Showbox should stay.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/hi_its_kyle/status/1028122300049121280

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yeah what the gently caress. I heard the jets earlier but I just chalked it up to the usual JBLM stuff.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The pro-Showbox crowd is pitching a massive extension of the Pike Market historical district, almost doubling it in size, that would render a large swathe of downtown undevelopable, including existing surface parking lots. Just in case you thought Kshama Sawant was actually capable of good policy.

https://thecisforcrank.com/2018/08/06/what-save-the-showbox-really-means/

That's been subsequently Seattle'd into a doofus half measure that punts the problem 10 months, but I guess that's better than nothing.

https://thecisforcrank.com/2018/08/09/saving-the-showbox-just-took-a-big-step-forward-but-whats-next/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

DrNutt posted:

Yeah what the gently caress. I heard the jets earlier but I just chalked it up to the usual JBLM stuff.
https://twitter.com/drbmbdgty/status/1028130383911501824

possibly shot down, but we'll never know https://twitter.com/StratSentinel/status/1028132381448982530

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 11, 2018

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Oldest Man posted:

The pro-Showbox crowd is pitching a massive extension of the Pike Market historical district, almost doubling it in size, that would render a large swathe of downtown undevelopable, including existing surface parking lots. Just in case you thought Kshama Sawant was actually capable of good policy.

https://thecisforcrank.com/2018/08/06/what-save-the-showbox-really-means/

That's been subsequently Seattle'd into a doofus half measure that punts the problem 10 months, but I guess that's better than nothing.

https://thecisforcrank.com/2018/08/09/saving-the-showbox-just-took-a-big-step-forward-but-whats-next/

How... small do you think Seattle's downtown is if you think the other side of 1st Ave and a bump towards union is a "large swath"? Do you live here? Do you know there are more than one Avenue in downtown?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gerund posted:

How... small do you think Seattle's downtown is if you think the other side of 1st Ave and a bump towards union is a "large swath"? Do you live here? Do you know there are more than one Avenue in downtown?

I live two blocks North of the shaded area there. Closing multiple blocks in the city center to development, in a city in the midst of a housing crisis, that has already zoned over half of its land for low density uses only, is criminal. That area is also right next to a light rail station and a block away from the 3rd Ave bus corridor, so it's got extremely good transit access on top of the high nearby job density. Marking a bunch of parking structures, a strip club, etc. as a historical area so that none of it can be redeveloped is municipal suicide by zoning.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 11, 2018

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There is also the question of why the other spaces in the district (like the parking lots) could be used for housing while the Showbox itself is preserved.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 11, 2018

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
By all means stop developers from making GBS threads on us but not like this.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/AaronMesh/status/1029824803023151104

Two important points to consider is that the mayor of Portland is the police commissioner, and also that Lars Larson is a piece of poo poo Rush Limbaugh wannabe

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Two important points to consider is that the mayor of Portland is the police commissioner, and also that Lars Larson is a piece of poo poo Rush Limbaugh wannabe

LOL that the police chief is literally named Outlaw.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

anthonypants posted:

I like a police officer who respects the chain of command.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Oscar Wild posted:

I like a police officer who respects the chain of command.

My favorite is the liberal who doesn’t want being homeless to be a crime, but still wants the homeless in jail.

https://twitter.com/53rdgoat/status/1029829394326376448?s=21

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Thaddius the Large posted:

My favorite is the liberal who doesn’t want being homeless to be a crime, but still wants the homeless in jail.

https://twitter.com/53rdgoat/status/1029829394326376448?s=21

This seems to be a growing sentiment around Portland. I hear more and more people who pooh pooh about "service resistant homeless" and then those people roll their eyes at me when I suggest maybe we should make services available before we focus on what to do with the hypothetical subset of people who will be resistant to those services.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Running into some service resistant homeless was really eye opening to me when I first got into outreach work but it's loving infuriating to see them being used as a reason to withhold vital community services for the homeless and impoverished at large. There is no low that these nimby fucks won't stoop to.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

DrNutt posted:

Running into some service resistant homeless was really eye opening to me when I first got into outreach work but it's loving infuriating to see them being used as a reason to withhold vital community services for the homeless and impoverished at large. There is no low that these nimby fucks won't stoop to.

I have to imagine service resistance is the exception and not the rule, and that those individuals might change their minds. It is important to provide that service in case they do.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Oscar Wild posted:

I have to imagine service resistance is the exception and not the rule, and that those individuals might change their minds. It is important to provide that service in case they do.

Yeah, call me crazy but if folks are service resistant, maybe we should blame the services and not the people.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If we get it down to where 100% of the remaining homeless are "service resistant" then we have a different problem to solve but for now why not do what we can?

Oh right, people are poo poo, that's why not.

E: here (rural OR) the big "service" is a church run shelter that has some pretty draconian rules for people. Like to have to give up any pets, can't even leave to look for work, must attend religious services, no smoking or drinking, not to mention any other substances. I think they can have coffee but that's it for useful drugs. Can't imagine why people would decline such a generous offer.

Javid fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 15, 2018

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I caught a radio segment the other day about how Josephine County residents refuse to pay taxes on fire service, so there's a couple of fire protection companies that operate in the area, and what's hilarious is sometimes even someone who's paid up their subscription to one service will get dinged when the other service shows up first.

The guy they were interviewing said something like "yeah this doesn't really work very well... but people around here don't want big government..." and come on, tell it straight, at that point it's not about "no big government" it's about "no government."

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Which is funny because that story is just "so why am I even paying for this poo poo" in a nutshell.

I'm in joco and have never heard anything like that, fwiw, but it is the county that basically doesn't have LE outside of the one city for similar reasons.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Javid posted:

E: here (rural OR) the big "service" is a church run shelter that has some pretty draconian rules for people. Like to have to give up any pets, can't even leave to look for work, must attend religious services, no smoking or drinking, not to mention any other substances. I think they can have coffee but that's it for useful drugs. Can't imagine why people would decline such a generous offer.

Yeah, what I ran into when I was doing outreach for Planned Parenthood back in the day was there were a lot of LGBT youth who felt like PP was extremely hetero-centric and unable to provide the right services for their sexual health needs (which was sort of the case honestly, though PP has really ramped up their LGBT services in the past ten years or so), OR people who were in extremely difficult and marginalized situations who couldn't really take a big bag of condoms because that was likely to get them beat up or worse, and without at least being signed up for state medicaid you're not getting anything more expensive than condoms at PP.

So the common thread is that "service resistant homeless" is a catchall phrase used by nimby fucks to say poo poo like "well they're not even accepting the help available to them" when in fact a ton of those services are still difficult to access or not what's needed by most of them.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, what I ran into when I was doing outreach for Planned Parenthood back in the day was there were a lot of LGBT youth who felt like PP was extremely hetero-centric and unable to provide the right services for their sexual health needs (which was sort of the case honestly, though PP has really ramped up their LGBT services in the past ten years or so), OR people who were in extremely difficult and marginalized situations who couldn't really take a big bag of condoms because that was likely to get them beat up or worse, and without at least being signed up for state medicaid you're not getting anything more expensive than condoms at PP.

So the common thread is that "service resistant homeless" is a catchall phrase used by nimby fucks to say poo poo like "well they're not even accepting the help available to them" when in fact a ton of those services are still difficult to access or not what's needed by most of them.

What are your thoughts on the "housing first" model? I have heard it isn't as effective as claimed, but to me it still seems like the most logical place to start.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I'm services resistant because nobody will pay for my meds that calm the voices that distort my reality and which have caused me to flunk out of the last 5 programs I tried. So I realized I'm better off living in a tent with people who know not to gently caress with me and whom nobody will miss if I hurt them.

Or if i'm not crazy, the services are nice but insufficient to afford rent so I'd rather camp while I figure out how to earn a living. Stop stealing my tent and clothes every 40 days you loving pigs that's not helping.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

therobit posted:

What are your thoughts on the "housing first" model? I have heard it isn't as effective as claimed, but to me it still seems like the most logical place to start.

I'm not super familiar with the ins and outs because my work with impoverished communities is focused on providing goods and services and a lot of the people I see do have a roof over their head, but if it is the idea that the biggest obstacle for most people is having a place to live then I'm pretty down with starting there.

People who are privileged with housing do tend to take it for granted how many things are typically reliant on a person having a fixed address and access to a clean living space (insert joke about goons living in filth here).

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Meanwhile on the other side of the state the wind has finally shifted so now instead of being covered with smoke from California's wildfires we're being covered with smoke from British Columbia's wildfires. :toot:

I want to die.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's been really fantastic not being able to open my windows at night to cool the house down because the air outside is worse than Shanghai.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That doesn’t seem fantastic at all.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It's funny watching Portland react to what every summer is like in Medford.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The bad air quality hasn't bothered me but it's left my dad house bound. He was just diagnosed with aortic stenosis a couple weeks ago, too.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Dang my whole like, sneezing/sinus shits make a lot of sense now

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://twitter.com/NWSSeattle/status/1031369209572290560

National Weather Service aint playin round.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I checked the forecast on wunderground and it was "Smoke"

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

NWS' twitter game is on point. Last year when we were surrounded by wildfire the Spokane NWS simply listed air quality as "Mordor."

https://twitter.com/NWSSpokane/status/1031351814216736768
Yay? :confuoot:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jagged Jim posted:

NWS' twitter game is on point. Last year when we were surrounded by wildfire the Spokane NWS simply listed air quality as "Mordor."

https://twitter.com/NWSSpokane/status/1031351814216736768
Yay? :confuoot:

Burn the world stop global warming.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Jack2142 posted:

Burn the world stop global warming.

"Years without summer" happen because of massive volcanic eruptions, so you're not entirely wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I've sometimes idly wondered if a controlled nuclear winter effect could be a duct tape solution to global warming, for at least a couple years. Could even be a two birds with one stone thing depending on where we drop the nuke, too.