Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Admiral Ray posted:

It was Tech N9ne

That's not how you spell Violent J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Blondie is on tour

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I always knew Lady Gaga had a penis.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
In a major suprise, it was Frank Ocean.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1028008331502206976

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Fat idiots don't typically marry hot smart humorless chicks who'll inexplicably put up with a limitless amount of their bullshit, either

I'm pretty sure this thread has a disturbing amount of counter examples.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Admiral Ray posted:

It was Tech N9ne

Dude this whole time I was immediately like "this is obviously Tech N9ne" and I am so glad that someone else had that exact thought.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Taima posted:

Dude this whole time I was immediately like "this is obviously Tech N9ne" and I am so glad that someone else had that exact thought.

idgi

Edit: Content

My [20f] boyfriend [22m] is moping about how much sex we have. I am disgusted.

quote:

I've been together with my boyfriend for 6 weeks. It's our first official relationship, but we've dated around. Since we live with our parents so sex is a little bit of a treat for us, and we can maybe get a sesh in every week. Recently my boyfriend has started complaining (and even moping) about how much sex we have, saying "he had expected more [sex] from a relationship". He has been trying to get me to have sex with him in places I don't feel comfortable having sex (like the beach, on my friends couch, when we were taking a walk through the woods) and when I tell him no he mopes so normally I give in. I do not enjoy having sex with him, because after were done he just rolls off of me and I end up feeling used. Thing is, I love the platonic side of our relationship. What can I do? I am tempted to break it off, since his childish attitude towards sex is such a turn off for me. Thanks in advance!

tl;dr; I want to break up with my boyfriend because of his childish attitude towards sex

You've been dating him for six weeks! This is barely a relationship! Just dump him and move on! Jesus!

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 11, 2018

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Sagebrush posted:

just tell her. she'll be pissed off for a while but she isn't going to disown her daughter over a tattoo.

like 95% of these "my parents threatened to disown me over x" things end up with the parents forgiving the kid after a short period of time, and in the 5% where they don't it turns out the parents are like literally lost-their-mind batshit insane and the kid should have disowned them years ago

They might write a column in a newspaper though

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/aug/11/devastated-by-my-sons-tattoo#comments

quote:

But by deciding to have a tattoo, my son took a meat cleaver to my apron strings. He may not have wanted to hurt me. I hope he didn’t. But my feelings, as he made his decision, were completely unimportant.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one; pack up the moon and dismantle the sun.

I am redundant. And that’s a legitimate cause for grief, I think.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Lucky he was smart enough to not say anything huh

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Why did this girl (F/18) get so offended?

quote:

so a close female friend (F/18) of mine (M/20) was very offended by one of the local social media trends. people were basically “rating” (for lack of a better word) how drunk they would have to be to make-out/have sex with the person privately dm’d to them. personally, i don’t see it as a big deal, it’s just people have some pretty harmless, dumb human fun. it’s whatever to me. but she was definitely, highly offended for some reason. enough to go on a pretty-out-of-the-blue giant rant to me about it

she kept stressing to me how ridiculous the trend was (it definitely is) and how her making out with any (emphasis) of her friends would be a mistake because they deserve more than “a drunken hook-up” that could ruin the friendship. but she also kept saying that that’s the case with ALL of her friends because she’s attracted to all of them in some way, not just with whoever she got dm’d.

turns out the friend in question she got dm’d about the most was me, she told me after she’d made her points. but i had already figured it out by the time she mentioned it.

why did she get so offended and react this way to something so relatively small? ...and how exactly should i feel about her telling all of this? I legitimately can’t understand why she got as upset as she did

tl;dr - close female friend got offended by silly local social media trend about hook-up culture via direct messages. proceeded to rant to me about why she hates it, turns out i was the main name that popped up in her dm’s. don’t understand why she got so upset

Come on, kid. I'm sure you can work it out. Put your thinking cap on! :allears:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You get the hotel that’s closest to your venue and still has the appropriate amenities, showing off is gauche

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Pick posted:

You get the hotel that’s closest to your venue and still has the appropriate amenities, showing off is gauche

Just lol if you don't get the cheapest, closest hotel and buy the cheapest sheets you can in a nearby walmart so you don't have to sleep on jizzsheets.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
How the gently caress are we still discussing jizzsheets? :psyduck:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

"oh my god my child is a separate person from me that is living a fulfilling life on their own without my guidance, i've successfully done my job as a parent and i'm devastated"

do they let any crank write editorials these days?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

HIJK posted:

"oh my god my child is a separate person from me that is living a fulfilling life on their own without my guidance, i've successfully done my job as a parent and i'm devastated"

The crankier the better.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

HIJK posted:

That story was from 2012 and still regularly resurfaces, the Guardian played a blinder.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Total Meatlove posted:

That story was from 2012 and still regularly resurfaces, the Guardian played a blinder.

The Guardian has played a good game indeed in getting those clicks :pipe:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
-Oh poo poo, I went to look at Reddit and it looks different now, what is this nonsense. But I did find a spineless person.

How do I get my [26F] apartment mate [25F] to stop inviting herself to "join me" in eating my meals?Non-Romantic

quote:

I’ve known my friend Lynn for 4 years after meeting at work. We decided to live together and rent an apartment together near work. Lynn is a kind, chill, and sweet person and has for the most part been awesome to live with.

The issues began when Lynn’s financial troubles started to catch up with her. She graduated with student loans and got herself into thousands of dollars of needless debt with her spending habits. Lynn spends impulsively on random items that she will quickly lose interest in, constantly eats out at places she can’t really afford, and never turns down expensive group outings. It’s really common for me to here Lynn complain that she only has $100 to live off for the entire month, or that she’s so happy she got her paycheck because she only had $9 left in her account, etc.

This is roughly when the mooching began. We both love cooking and making nice meals, so it was common for us to ask each other about what we’re preparing and sample each other’s dishes once in a while. However, once she was in deep poo poo financially I noticed she would often “join me for dinner” and simply eat my food without offering any of hers (which is what we used to do). I stopped offering her any of my meals, but she was persistent in asking me or strongly and obnoxiously hinting for food anyways.

Examples:

On Valentine’s Day I mentioned that I was cooking a fancy seafood dinner for my boyfriend. She tells me my plan sounds great and a few minutes later she says, “I was thinking I could join you guys for dinner”. I got really thrown off by the question and answered something along the lines of “ummmm…”. She still didn’t get it and said “Hmm, I’m sensing some hesitation, is there a problem?”.

My boyfriend and I were making eggs and baking some biscuits for breakfast. She strolls into the kitchen and says, “Hey mind if I join you for breakfast?”. We obviously had a lot of biscuits, so I felt weird saying no but it made us both uncomfortable.

I was making tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for my boyfriend and I for dinner. Again, we obviously had plenty of soup, so she invited herself to sit down and eat our food with us.

My good friend was feeling down, so I invited her to come over and have some cookies and ice cream. My boyfriend very kindly baked the cookies for us while I consoled my friend. In the meantime, Lynn was trying coach him on how to make the cookies to her own liking (even though she was never offered any). When he asked me and my friend if he could get us a bowl of ice cream Lynn immediately said “oooh yes I’ll have some” (again it was not offered to her”. She took the biggest scoop(s) and left hardly any for us. Then when the cookies were baked she took HANDFULS of them. I was so pissed, but I didn’t want to make any drama while I had a guest over. Lynn also made a cheesecake that same night and didn’t offer any to us.

I could go on and on with these examples. Basically, she lingers around me while I’m cooking or eating and strongly hints that she likes what she sees. If I don’t say anything she’ll invite herself to my food and make it awkward for me to say no (because I usually cook a lot at once). It’s now at the point where I will cook and then leave the house and eat because I know she’ll try and mooch off my meals.

My questions are how do I nicely and tactfully say NO when she tries to “join me” in eating my food? And how do I address her past “mooching” without hurting her feelings (she suffers from depression and tends to internalize any critique)?

**TL;DR** My roommate spends money recklessly then mooches off my meals because she thinks she's too poor to buys her own food. How do I kindly get her to stop?

LITERALLY ASK HER.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
How to phrase a question?

quote:

I [19/F] have a thing for my friend [21/M] in college. We've known each other for almost a year now and are pretty comfortable with one another. I've been flirting pretty heavily over the past few months and things seem to be going well. Now, however, I'd like to bring up the possibility of us being romantically involved, but I have no idea how to phrase the question.

We both live on campus and don't have cars, so traditional dates are out. I don't want to say "seeing each other" because he is a sarcastic little poo poo like me and we already see each other every day during college sessions. I know he'd make a joke out of it, even if he's interested in a romantic relationship. I've tried thinking of every which way to bring up the topic, but I just can't think of anything that seems natural.

The reason I'm so nervous about this is because, despite my age, I have next to no dating experience and a lot of rejection in the past. I want this to go as smoothly as possible. Does anyone with some experience in pursuing someone romantically have any advice? Is there a way to bring up this topic naturally and mostly painlessly?

TL;DR: I'm very into a college friend of mine and want to ask him out. No idea how to do it.

"Nice shoes. Wanna gently caress?"

Edit: Oh, boy:

My (20f)girlfriend came to my(23m) house on her periods

quote:

so i have this chic we have been dating a considerably long time but we are no where close to each other and barely see her especially when schools are open.
I invited her for the weekend expecting to have some good moments of cuddling and all that, she turned up on her periods which to me was unexpected and not good at all. i had timed her and was thinking she was safe by now and should have completed her periods as i track her dates too.

tl;dr; should i tell her am pissed off or just let her be

Oh, no, menstruation! :rolleyes:

I agree with one of the comments, by all means share your anger at her bodily functions, she deserved to know how much of an rear end in a top hat you are sooner rather than later.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 11, 2018

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

The buried lede on the menstruation complaint is how a desert nomad from three thousand years ago traveled to our time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How the gently caress are we still discussing jizzsheets? :psyduck:

jizzsheets for a different reason. :colbert:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I mean you aint wrong and all but they still do have 200k + in debt and he already paid off her 120k.

I feel like someone who needs to be frugal while having a job that could pay off their debt in a year of living on 100k a year is not as good with money as they think.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
TX - I rammed a car off the road to avoid being hit by a train.

quote:

Ill keep this short. This happened about a week ago. In our town we have a four way intersection on some train tracks with a tall concrete median separating the lanes. There is a red light right at the train tracks with enough room for 3 cars to stop after the track.

Well the car in front of me stopped with 2 full car lengths ahead of him forcing me to have my rear end end on the track. The car behind me gave me just enough room to back up and have my front end on the tracks. The car behind him gave him no room.

Train starts coming and this, for some reason, RESETS the timers on the lights. Now the train must have only been going at 25mph max, but I am not really willing to find out what a 1-2k ton train will do to my car going at 25ish mph. So I honk, honk, honk, and honk some more for the car in front to pull up. He leans out his window, flips me off, POINTS AT THE TRAIN, and laughs.

I have all of this on dash cam.

I keep honking only seeing more flip offs, the cars behind me try to move but its really not happening, and finally I see no choice but to force him off the road. I am driving 16 sonata and he is driving a manual 90s era taurus. I was already backed up till I almost hit the truck behind me, but the front of my car was still on the tracks. So I slammed the gas plowing into the taurus throwing him into the intersection and I come to a stop pretty close to him. Thankfully he was in neutral and not applying the breaks.

The train comes through about 30 seconds later. The light is still red and I have the obvious sound of a close train coming over the camera and the red light still there.

The guy gets out and starts yelling at me as people are rushing over. The train pulls through the intersection and stops right after it. The guy who was behind me asked if I were OK and then was basically on my side. When the police come he tells them everything, even the part where the guy in front of me flipped me off. I pull the SD card out of my dash came and put it in my phone to show the officer.

He tells me he is declining to cite me and that the insurance companies can deal with this mess. He briefly chatted with the conductor of the train and it started up again leaving.

Today the police report was released listing me as the at fault party to the accident.

So, I have just a whole host of questions here but Ill keep it to just the three main ones.

First and foremost, is what the guy did illegal? By illegal I mean can this be class A misdemeanor or Felony level?

Secondly is it possible that the "accident" could be ruled in my favor as the video CLEARLY shows more than enough room for both cars? Like by this I mean he stopped with nearly 2 car lengths to go before the big white line where you are supposed to stop.

Third, what could I be looking at here if the police try to charge me?

EDIT: Spelling

What a loving dumbass. He's fixing to get the poo poo sued out of him.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

quote:

Today the police report was released listing me as the at fault party to the accident.

The police are right.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Why didn't he go around him

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My (20f)girlfriend came to my(23m) house on her periods

Oh, no, menstruation! :rolleyes:

I agree with one of the comments, by all means share your anger at her bodily functions, she deserved to know how much of an rear end in a top hat you are sooner rather than later.

UNCLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAN

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Why didn't he go around him

Presumably:

quote:

In our town we have a four way intersection on some train tracks with a tall concrete median separating the lanes

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
My [27f] boyfriend [24m] has a problem with my "ethics"

quote:

My boyfriend of around three months, Tom, told me he has a problem with some of my ethical choices. I don't understand his point of view at all.

Examples:

1. I told him I refused to give a job reference for someone I had major personal problems with. I don't want him working with me. I would have done it if I felt that not doing it could hurt me in some way in the future, but I doubt I will ever see the guy who asked for the reference again, so I felt comfortable saying no. I think that guy had a lot of nerve asking me for a favor, but Tom said I should have agreed anyway.

2. Tom thinks I lie too much. I disagree. I'll tell white lies if telling the truth would be more awkward and the person is not owed the truth because it's none of their business. He talked about when we recently ran into a friend of mine, and she asked why I hadn't been at a major event that had happened. I said I had been having a bad headache so decided to stay home. In reality, I was at home having an anxiety crisis, but I'm not good enough friends with this woman to tell her that, so I lied. Tom thinks I shouldn't have lied.

I asked Tom why I needed to tell this person my private issues. He said I didn't, but instead of lying, I should have told her that I didn't go to the event for private reasons, and that I didn't want to discuss it. I think that would have been extremely awkward. I don't think my friend even cared that much to know why I wasn't at the event, she was just making conversation. I think it's so much easier to just make up a small lie that nobody will care about than to do what Tom suggested.

3. I applied for a training program at work that's a big deal and hard to get into. I'm pretty new to the job, so I didn't find out about the program until I heard a coworker talking about how he applied for the program. I thought the program sounded great so I applied too. I happened to mention to Tom how I found out about the program because I was using it as an example of how my workplace never actually tells anyone anything and everything is based on employee gossip. Tom didn't say anything negative at the time.

But when I found out I got accepted into the program, Tom asked if that coworker had gotten in too. I said no. Tom told me I shouldn't have done that, because I took an opportunity away from someone who had done the research to find out about the program on his own.

4. I've been trying to work with Someone involving an important issue (nothing to do with my job) and the person who is supposed to help me is obviously not very competent. He keeps messing things up, doing the wrong thing and generally slowing things down. Tom asked me why the process was going so slowly and I said "the guy probably forgot how to read." I wondered if it would be worth it to complain about the guy to his supervisor. Tom said that was really rude and that while my complaints were valid, joking about how the guy couldn't read showed I just wanted to complain to the guy's boss for malicious reasons not to actually solve anything.

I don't do any of these things to be a jerk. He is upset because in all those situations I put myself first ahead of others, but I think he's overreacting just because he would've made different choices.

I'm feeling very judged and tired of having my behavior ripped apart. I want to make Tom understand but I'm concerned that we're just not very compatible and he'll never understand. How can I explain my point of view without sounding like someone who only cares about herself?

Tldr: my boyfriend has a problem with my behavior and thinks I'm treating others badly

this guy loving sucks. please cut your losses and move on

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

The police are right.

yeah as far as the accident goes the OP clearly tried to cross without waiting to see if he had enough room. If you blocked a regular old intersection this way during traffic it'd be a ticket regardless of whether you'd be able to squeeze in if every car waiting at the next light got a little bit closer to each other.

I feel like the other guy should be charged for trying to kill the OP tho.

If nothing else the dude was just obstructing traffic. You can't just not move forwards for no reason when you have road to do so.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ArbitraryC posted:

If nothing else the dude was just obstructing traffic. You can't just not move forwards for no reason when you have road to do so.

The biggest driving school in Canada teaches you to stop well back from the line or next car (multiple car lengths) to give you some room if someone is coming in too quickly to stop, in fact. Nobody does it after they pass the course, but I’m surprised to find out that it’s illegal to do so.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Always give yourself enough room to maneuver when the idiot in front of you runs out of gas/breaks down/etc.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
In real human land, if you're following somebody across some train tracks you don't wait on one side and wait to see just in case the person ahead stops several car lengths short of how far they can go, because the reasonable expectation is that they will drive to the end and stop.

If people drove under that kind of limitation at all times, it would be basically chaos. You'd wait at a green light at an intersection until the driver in front had crossed and gone a full car length past the other side before you followed in case they stopped for no reason. The vast majority of driving is doing the predictable thing and assuming other drivers will also do the predictable thing.

Ramming man did nothing wrong.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Did this guy get in trouble with the mob? That sounds like an attempted hit job.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Jeza posted:

It's not hard to wait until you can clear a track before crossing it. Seems like common sense to me.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Seems pretty weird that a guy documented as intentionally attempting to turn a traffic infraction into a death sentence is not at all deemed at fault. I'd take this to the real, not traffic, police.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Seems pretty weird that a guy documented as intentionally attempting to turn a traffic infraction into a death sentence is not at all deemed at fault. I'd take this to the real, not traffic, police.

At the very least, civil court.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jeza posted:

In real human land, if you're following somebody across some train tracks you don't wait on one side and wait to see just in case the person ahead stops several car lengths short of how far they can go, because the reasonable expectation is that they will drive to the end and stop.

If people drove under that kind of limitation at all times, it would be basically chaos. You'd wait at a green light at an intersection until the driver in front had crossed and gone a full car length past the other side before you followed in case they stopped for no reason. The vast majority of driving is doing the predictable thing and assuming other drivers will also do the predictable thing.

cars can stop in less than a goddamn mile so your "regular intersection" analogy is really loving stupid hth

they are both very much at fault

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sedisp posted:

I feel like someone who needs to be frugal while having a job that could pay off their debt in a year of living on 100k a year is not as good with money as they think.

Yeah but he does say he is doing that so he can pay off the 200k / save for a house / put money away for retirement.

All of those seem like reasonable things to be frugal for :shrug:

Anyway upon reflection they both suck.

Also lol at train guy.

Listen anyone who is a driver for any length of time has been in a situation like this where you either miss judge the amount of room you have or the rear end in a top hat in front of you doesn't move up as much as you think he should leaving your rear end hanging out. It happens and it is always our fault if you aren't 100% sure then you shouldn't even have pulled forward.

I mean it sucks but his story is pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

they are both very much at fault

Actually they aren't. Just because he thought the guy in front of him had room to pull forward doesn't mean the guy actually did. There is no rule in any state which dictates how much room is to be left between cars when they are stopped. Maybe he couldn't pull any further forward because the car in front had an extended hitch on the back or something that he couldn't see.

He is the only one at fault because he should have waited to make sure it was clear before pulling forward.