Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I need to rewatch SG-1 and Atlantis again, those were Good Shows. Well except SG-1 kinda nose-dived after RDA left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/thr/status/1028054219255963648?s=21

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Bogus Adventure posted:

The Voyager had a toxic work environment. Imagine being that ship's counselor and dealing with poo poo like Janeway peeking into the personnel files to see which crewmembers are wavering in their slavish loyalty to her, Tuvok forcing subordinates to write murder simulators OR ELSE, and the bitchiest Chief Engineer in the quadrant making sure to take a poo poo in someone's cereal every loving morning.

Okay when you put it that way I get it but Tuvok is ironically the only one besides B'Ellana who can't keep their poo poo under control.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I like how they put so much effort into the whole "Vulcans get so horny they'll LITERALLY DIE if they don't gently caress" plotline, then B'elanna just has to beat the piss out of Vorrick and he stops being horny.

Also when Tuvok catches the horny like three years later, the doctor says that the holographic wife thing worked on Vorrick even though it literally didn't

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tuvok ends up having to defeat Pon Farr through pure mediation which is actually kind of bad rear end considering how it's affected other Vulcans.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Tuvok ends up having to defeat Pon Farr through pure mediation which is actually kind of bad rear end considering how it's affected other Vulcans.

Worth bearing in mind, Tuvok's a lot older than Spock and T'Pol. He's married with kids, served in Starfleet then dropped out for a few decades then reenlisted, and taught at the Academy for a while. It's never really dwelled on, but Tuvok's pretty great with children throughout Voyager - I always figured it's because hey, Tuvok's a dad.

naem
May 29, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Worth bearing in mind, Tuvok's a lot older than Spock and T'Pol. He's married with kids, served in Starfleet then dropped out for a few decades then reenlisted, and taught at the Academy for a while. It's never really dwelled on, but Tuvok's pretty great with children throughout Voyager - I always figured it's because hey, Tuvok's a dad.

When you live 200+ years you can accomplish a full human lifespan of things and still have 100+ years left and get bored and go join the space navy

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

AppleDan posted:

Okay when you put it that way I get it but Tuvok is ironically the only one besides B'Ellana who can't keep their poo poo under control.

Oh really?

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

the murderman

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Brad(ford) Dourif is a national treasure.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

dudeness posted:

Brad(ford) Dourif is a national treasure.

Except in Exorcist III, which no one could have saved

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Nobody has ever watched Exorcist III to know for sure

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

ferroque posted:

Nobody has ever watched Exorcist III to know for sure

My buddies and I go to a weekly horror double feature and the guy who runs it decided to show the reconstructed workprint version of III that keeps cutting back and forth between HD and VHS rips of the dailies. Every single one of Dourif’s scenes was a VHS rip in a completely dark prison cell and he just monologues on and on and on while George C Scott sleeps through the scene.

It was agonizing.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I'd imagine George C Scott is merely a stand-in for the audience in this case

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

:negative:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

unmatch

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Noctone posted:

I need to rewatch SG-1 and Atlantis again, those were Good Shows. Well except SG-1 kinda nose-dived after RDA left.

There were enough changes to SG-1 after season 8 that the show badly needed a new name. And I absolutely refused to watch it without RDA involved and with half the cast of Farscape shoved in his place.

My mistake. Yeah, Browder and Black took a bit to grow on me, but Seasons 9-10 were tightly plotted and well-made, the Ori were a legit threat, far moreso than the Goa'uld ever were, the good guys were actually getting their asses handed to them for once, and the Ori actually were gods, down to even having their own messiah. Plus we got heaping scoops of Ba'al at his smarmy best. I approve of those two seasons.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Hold on, she make like Janeway for good, ironic reasons, like the rest of us.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The Lon Suder episodes of Voyager were interesting as they gave us a Betazoid who was totally different from the Trois and the dude who decided to live in Tin Man.

Bogus Adventure fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 11, 2018

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

drilldo squirt posted:

She could also like her because Kate Mulgrew unironically owns, and is a drat good actress despite all of the poo poo Voyager's writers gave her.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

drilldo squirt posted:

Yeah like, I really like the way the writers managed to capture the subtle idea that humans are fine until you remove them from the federation and put them in danger whereupon they become vicious dictators. Just like quark said.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Danaru posted:

I like how they put so much effort into the whole "Vulcans get so horny they'll LITERALLY DIE if they don't gently caress" plotline, then B'elanna just has to beat the piss out of Vorrick and he stops being horny.

Also when Tuvok catches the horny like three years later, the doctor says that the holographic wife thing worked on Vorrick even though it literally didn't

It's so weird because Star Trek elsewhere seems to like saying we've moved past cultural hang-ups and petty disputes to all Get Along by the 24th century

Yet in a ship full of lonely people, they can't find one willing to gently caress a Vulcan just once to save his life

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

It's so weird because Star Trek elsewhere seems to like saying we've moved past cultural hang-ups and petty disputes to all Get Along by the 24th century

Yet in a ship full of lonely people, they can't find one willing to gently caress a Vulcan just once to save his life

I bet a Vulcan in pon-farr would give a masochistic sex-addict Klingon pause. You think you hosed your bed apart last night, well, get a load of this!

What I'm saying is Spock's mom was one kinky lady.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i liked when worf was describing klingon mating and the creepy smile when he says "and then they start throwing things"

like all you have to do to get a klingon sweaty is growl at him (although if famke janssen growled at me im pretty sure i would lose any higher reasoning i have left)

revolther
May 27, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i liked when worf was describing klingon mating and the creepy smile when he says "and then they start throwing things"

like all you have to do to get a klingon sweaty is growl at him (although if famke janssen growled at me im pretty sure i would lose any higher reasoning i have left)
Klingon dirty talk would be the worst. Well Worf trying to do Klingon dirty talk would be the worst, but run of the mill "dishonor that pussy, pump you full of bastards that bring your house to ruin" type stuff would still be pretty bad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I’d have hosed Tuvok, I’m nice like that. Not under normal circumstances but if he’d die otherwise.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Tuvok just needed to choke the ol' Talaxian, if you know what I mean.

Sadly, Tuvok mistook the euphemism for an actual act of killing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

lwaxana troi is a loving abysmal telepath given that she is completely oblivious to how angry even her own loving daughter is with her all the time

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

lwaxana troi is a loving abysmal telepath given that she is completely oblivious to how angry even her own loving daughter is with her all the time

Lol if you think she doesnt know

She just doesnt care

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

She Knows

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

simplefish posted:

Lol if you think she doesnt know

She just doesnt care

Pretty much this.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Did she ever show up on the station again after the Dominion took Betazed? Could it be that she was quietly written away as a character. With all their diplomatic swagger, I doubt any Vorta could sit through 20 words from Lwaxana before giving the kill order. Or simply executing all of a planets diplomats as a gesture of 'we will take your unconditional surrender'?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

rndmnmbr posted:

I bet a Vulcan in pon-farr would give a masochistic sex-addict Klingon pause. You think you hosed your bed apart last night, well, get a load of this!

Spock's mom was actually not supposed to be a school teacher, it was just some role play she and Sarek were into to spice things up.

But Vulcans are so expectant of excellence and truth she literally had go through all the education and certification to complete the illusion.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Pick posted:

I’d have hosed Tuvok, I’m nice like that. Not under normal circumstances but if he’d die otherwise.

Faking Pon Farr is the first technique taught to Vulcan PUAs.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Universe Master posted:

Faking Pon Farr is the first technique taught to Vulcan PUAs.

A Vulcan would claim they were more of a Pick Up Scientist. In fact, that's part of the PUA game.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
Vulcan's are kind of the best because they are hypocritical as gently caress.

They get all snarky about how their society is governed by intellect and logical principles but then the sex-madness comes on and you gotta fight to the death in the ancient family murder-sex arena because of Tradition. It's bonkers as hell.

Klingons are pretty much all stupid assholes to a man (except for Martok and that one chef) but at least they are up front about it - hell, they're proud of it even. Vulcan's try and hide it all from outsiders so no one finds out that they're just as bad as everyone else.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This is why the DS9 baseball episode is the best example of Vulcans being giant rear end in a top hat hypocrites

naem
May 29, 2011

rndmnmbr posted:

https://youtu.be/3FOhMJZ1en4

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is why the DS9 baseball episode is the best example of Vulcans being giant rear end in a top hat hypocrites

I just saw that episode again a few nights ago, and it really is fantastic. Solok just getting progressively more irritated that Sisko and his team weren't sad because they lost while the Niner's dunk on him was hilarious.

They really do overuse the whole "Vulcan's are all giant racists" thing way too much though. I mean, Spock was always saying poo poo about illogical humans but that was when he was snipping back and forth with McCoy, a man who he considered to be one of his best friends and invited to be his second best-man at his sex-murder wedding. The writers in other shows taking those scenes and running it into the ground every time another Vulcan shows up is really just sad and shows a lot of missed opportunities to do more to develop the setting and species beyond "all other Vulcan's are pretty much just Spock but without the charm".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Quixote posted:

Vulcan's are kind of the best because they are hypocritical as gently caress.

They get all snarky about how their society is governed by intellect and logical principles but then the sex-madness comes on and you gotta fight to the death in the ancient family murder-sex arena because of Tradition. It's bonkers as hell.

Klingons are pretty much all stupid assholes to a man (except for Martok and that one chef) but at least they are up front about it - hell, they're proud of it even. Vulcan's try and hide it all from outsiders so no one finds out that they're just as bad as everyone else.

Martok's great. I love his speech to Sisko about how "Marriage is a War".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFpwGW697-A