Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I should be able to play on the weekend at various times but can't really commit to a specific time. I'm in the UK.

How often does the game desync these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I don't mind the crap AI in Endless Legend so much, as it's very much a narratively driven game if you follow the major faction quests. That said, when I played like 2 years ago, the AI couldn't figure out how to expand off of islands and continents. Is this still the case?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Well, just yesterday I saw AI Morgan settle their capital in the middle of a coastal province's hinterland, so...

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Overminty posted:

I don't tend to know my weekend plans until midway through the week but if I'm free I'd like to join in on any Sat/Sun games. UK goon but I'll probably be free all day or not at all.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I should be able to play on the weekend at various times but can't really commit to a specific time. I'm in the UK.

How often does the game desync these days?

I haven't played MP since Tempest's release (fall '16), but at least then it was very manageable: maybe once or twice per session, and it just took 2 minutes or so for everyone to log back in.

Let's tentatively aim for:
Saturday: mitochondritom 7 PM BST, Avasculous 2 PM EST, KirbyChan 11 AM PST, gently caress TreeBucket and Chadzok (for now)

Anyone else is free to show up as well.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I don't mind the crap AI in Endless Legend so much, as it's very much a narratively driven game if you follow the major faction quests. That said, when I played like 2 years ago, the AI couldn't figure out how to expand off of islands and continents. Is this still the case?

I can't speak to that, but unless they fixed it, the AI's negotiation skills made Manhattan for some beads look like a pretty shrewd deal.

It would ridiculously tunnel vision on a resource/strategic it wanted, to the point where it would gleefully give you its entire coffers and hundreds of luxuries/other strategics for 5 Mithril at the right time.

That's why I think MP EL is much better. There's all of these complex, interesting systems that you have to either ignore or resist the temptation to game because the AI is an embarrassing moron.

The idea of having to expend a resource to even negotiate is pretty cool, but kind of goes out the window if there's a little bar at the bottom of the screen telling you how much the AI is salivating over your ridiculous offer.

Edit - I'll PM you guys in the next day or so with a link to the Discord MapGoons channel (if you're not there already).

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 8, 2018

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Great, looking forward to it. My Steam Id is circovirus.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Jesus, those rocket trails on the strategic map were, to my chagrin, actually not leftover graphical bugs from the battle scenes.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

toasterwarrior posted:

Jesus, those rocket trails on the strategic map were, to my chagrin, actually not leftover graphical bugs from the battle scenes.
"Chagrin" is an extraordinarily polite term...
ES2 now offers the uniquely horrible situation of sticking a ruler next to your screen to work what the Obliterator is going to hit, and how many turns it is likely to take, and comparing that against how many turns it will take you to research System Shields and sell all your stuff to buy enough titanium to build the blasted thing.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tree Bucket posted:

"Chagrin" is an extraordinarily polite term...
ES2 now offers the uniquely horrible situation of sticking a ruler next to your screen to work what the Obliterator is going to hit, and how many turns it is likely to take, and comparing that against how many turns it will take you to research System Shields and sell all your stuff to buy enough titanium to build the blasted thing.

This sounds loving stupid. When I read someone talking about the obliterator, and its lack of UI help, it was a beta player. I'm sure they'll patch it, but it sounds incredibally unfun to scan the map for projectiles every turn.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yeah, it's really not great. You literally have to eyeball what it's going to hit, and how long it will take. I had a system saved because the Obliterator shot ended a couple of millimetres away (as it were) from my system the turn I finished the Shield and Citadel conversion; it was certainly a tense few turns.
Amplitude are pretty good with gradual improvements though, so I shall hold on to the hope that the upcoming espionage xpack will add some shenanigans with LOS etc to take the guesswork away.

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 10, 2018

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

This is going to sound really weird, but has anyone heard the game slightly yell "Hey!" since the Endless Legend update?

At first I thought it was just something in the music, but I turned the music off, and there seems to be some guy in the ambient noise track yelling "Hey!" every 15 minutes or so. It's not very loud; just about as loud as the birds and waves and other ambient sounds.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
But just enough to make you start going crazy. Cultist Simulator does this as well. It is... Effective and gently caress them for doing it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Could use that Discord link.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I hope you are all crushed on land by an AI necroswarm and your seas boil with the billions of Morgawr out for your blood and your skys darken with the approach of Auriga's largest mustering of Skyfin ever seen

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Getting a system Obliterated loving sucks, but at least the animation of Obliterator missiles getting cockblocked by a Citadel and System Shield combination is this hilarious little spark. That'll show these Craver assholes!!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My body is ready

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Getting a system Obliterated loving sucks, but at least the animation of Obliterator missiles getting cockblocked by a Citadel and System Shield combination is this hilarious little spark. That'll show these Craver assholes!!
So far I've been readying Obliterators in pairs, with one of each pair firing the turn after so the shield goes down and then boom. It's great.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Chadzok posted:

I hope you are all crushed on land by an AI necroswarm and your seas boil with the billions of Morgawr out for your blood and your skys darken with the approach of Auriga's largest mustering of Skyfin ever seen

But the Skyfin part sounds pretty nice? I mean Skyfins just cheer everybody up.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

My body is ready

Indeed, I am also around.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

mitochondritom posted:

Indeed, I am also around.

I got the PM. Gonna hang around the Blackjack and Hookers channel. Dibs on Vaulters or Metz, otherwise I babyrage quit and waste everybody's time.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

I got the PM. Gonna hang around the Blackjack and Hookers channel. Dibs on Vaulters or Metz, otherwise I babyrage quit and waste everybody's time.

Sorry, I do not have PM functionality. What is the Blackjack and Hookers channel?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
For those whose bodies are ready, my steam ID is slander169 in case you have any trouble with the discord.

mitochondritom, I couldn't find you. Can you try adding me?

I'll send you the Discord link through there.

Anyone else who still wants to join in is welcome (today, 2 PM EST).

Chadzok posted:

Somehow the Skyfin is the most frightening here. The gently caress is he doing with all of those pearls? And where are the ENORMOUS clams that made them?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I managed to get on the discord and have messaged you in it. Cannot find anyone on Steam for some reason!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The call has been made, the lobby has been created.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finished an Impossible Hissho game, they totally own. Desert planets are insanely good for them.

Lessons learned:

1) Behemoths are good! Economic Behemoth deathlifestacks are fantastic for bootstrapping the gently caress out of a newly-colonized/conquered system, turning a system into a ship production zone, and restoring Craver-depleted worlds! But don't go overboard because the building that lets you build another by doubling upkeep on all active Behemoths eventually reaches a point where it's not worth it to do so. I stopped around 10, and at times I was losing Dust because holy poo poo these things are expensive.

2) You can't disband Behemoths. This is a big deal if you're stacking Economic Behemoths because going over the limit if you lose a system or a Hissho political leader with the +1 Behemoth skills gets knocked out of the senate causes their upkeep to spike like a motherfucker, and it's going to hurt bad.

3) On a related note, because of this I think Republics are the real better choice for government as Hissho, to further strengthen your Keii laws and everything else.

4) Get System Shields when you can, probably ASAP on your homeworld. The AI seems to prefer targeting them over everything else.

5) You can truce-break by paying influence. Yes, I should've learned this much earlier instead of waiting out the truce timer like an idiot and killing off the goddamn Cravers when I had the opportunity.

That said, I'm glad the game has really improved a lot. Still needs some work though, usually in usability stuff like maybe auto-selling resources when they reach 999 instead of them just being lost, a display showing like how many pop slots are left to fill on a system, the ability to mass-idle Economic Behemoth stacks and/or a stance that also lets them ignore foreign fleets in the same system, etc.

Also I'm pretty sure the game still has a memory leak issue with the FMV cutscenes. Now time to finally figure out how to play Riftborn and win Impossible with them.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

The call has been made, the lobby has been created.

Its over, after a few rough starts we managed to get a whole game in. After an isolated beginning as the Vaulters, I was eventually swarmed by Necrophages who had previously devoured Kirby and Avasculous.

After the MP game I have mixed feelings about the new volcanic terrain. In our first attempt, I spawned as the wild walkers and was immediately knackered as I was surrounded on all sides by foodless volcanic terrain. In the second game I put off settling the volcanic terrain as the Vaulters because it had no food, but crucially it had the only source of titanium which resulted in a lot of delays to getting my Science buildings up and running. Just as the Kapaku can volcanoform normal lands, I think there is room for a tech to fight back and terraform the volcanic terrain.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

mitochondritom posted:

Its over, after a few rough starts we managed to get a whole game in. After an isolated beginning as the Vaulters, I was eventually swarmed by Necrophages who had previously devoured Kirby and Avasculous.

After the MP game I have mixed feelings about the new volcanic terrain. In our first attempt, I spawned as the wild walkers and was immediately knackered as I was surrounded on all sides by foodless volcanic terrain. In the second game I put off settling the volcanic terrain as the Vaulters because it had no food, but crucially it had the only source of titanium which resulted in a lot of delays to getting my Science buildings up and running. Just as the Kapaku can volcanoform normal lands, I think there is room for a tech to fight back and terraform the volcanic terrain.

The game was fun, and provided Demiurge didn't drive everyone away by DOING EXACTLY WHAT I ASSURED THEM WOULDN'T HAPPEN IN OUR "CASUAL, 'FRIENDLY GAME", we're going to go again next week.

That sounds like a really unlucky start, but I don't think a de-Volcano tech would actually be that useful:

-Volcano terrain is far from useless to other factions. No natural food makes it a bad FIRST region for most of them, but it does have the highest industry of any biome and all other resources except food. That makes it actually pretty attractive once you have a couple of food techs. Someone Volcanoforming right outside your city is almost doing you a favor provided you survive their attack.

-Volcanoform only transforms the hex it's on and surrounding hexes. If de-volcanoform works the same way, it's not going to be worth it at all to try to clear an area for an expanding city when you could just settle a different biome. The reason it's worth it for the Kapaku is that their military units are very strong on it and weak off of it.

Also, a couple of not-immediately-obvious things that can help with getting hosed by starting location:

-"Salt the Earth" (razes the city) takes 1 turn to build and returns your settler with full movement. So you can Settle, get what FIDSI is there, and immediately move and resettle next turn. It's not ideal, but it will buy you a couple more turns to find a better spot. I did this in our last game.

-The Roving Clans and weirdly the Morgawr are basically immune to getting hosed by their starting location. The Roving Clans can just pick up and move their cities at almost no cost, and the Morgawr always get tons of food (and other resources) from sea hexes, regardless of what biome they're actually in.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Does EL do any kind of starting location weighting toward terrain helpful to the faction you're playing, like recent Civilization games do, or is it completely random?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

Does EL do any kind of starting location weighting toward terrain helpful to the faction you're playing, like recent Civilization games do, or is it completely random?

Kinda, Vaulters have a better than average chance of being in frosty science-rich biomes I think? Not sure.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

The ones with the most critical requirements, Kapaku and Morgawr, are guaranteed to start in Volcanic and a coastal region respectively.

It's been a while since I played much, but I don't think the rest (which are a lot more flexible in what's 'helpful') have any guarantees.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yes; various factions have starting biases. Vaulters as mentioned, Broken lords like the deserts, etc. Biases doesn't mean guarantees, and anyways the various anomalies are what really make OP starting spots. Once had a place that had five anomalies (minor ones, to be fair) within a single 7-hex slot.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
You always have a couple discretionary techs at each level. Way I see it, if I'm next to a nice volcanic province, a couple of those will be food.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Serephina posted:

Yes; various factions have starting biases. Vaulters as mentioned, Broken lords like the deserts, etc. Biases doesn't mean guarantees, and anyways the various anomalies are what really make OP starting spots. Once had a place that had five anomalies (minor ones, to be fair) within a single 7-hex slot.

There is an option in the advanced game setup to have factions start on their most optimal FIDS position, regardless of distance to other faction starting points. I like it; everyone starts off on a good foot.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Avasculous posted:

-"Salt the Earth" (razes the city) takes 1 turn to build and returns your settler with full movement. So you can Settle, get what FIDSI is there, and immediately move and resettle next turn. It's not ideal, but it will buy you a couple more turns to find a better spot. I did this in our last game.

I wouldn't recommend razing your palace. The loss of the dust income could easily create problems early on, and the extra expansion disapproval would be annoying later (and maybe even early on, especially for the Allayi).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Avasculous posted:

The game was fun, and provided Demiurge didn't drive everyone away by DOING EXACTLY WHAT I ASSURED THEM WOULDN'T HAPPEN IN OUR "CASUAL, 'FRIENDLY GAME", we're going to go again next week.

Well nobody told me that :smug:

It was a fun game but I probably shouldn't have picked Necrophages. Playing them there wasn't really an option not to eat everyone close to me, on the bright side it was my first victory in MP ever!

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Congrats on winning with the coolest and best faction. :v:

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Well nobody told me that :smug:

It was a fun game but I probably shouldn't have picked Necrophages. Playing them there wasn't really an option not to eat everyone close to me, on the bright side it was my first victory in MP ever!

It's alright, and congrats on your win. I actually think Necrophages are one of the harder factions to win MP games with, so good job.

Speaking of which, we're going to play again tomorrow, Saturday at 2 PM EST.

Anyone is free to join, and an unnamed, chitinous individual has gotten genociding new players on turn 30 out of his system.

PM me here or post to the thread and I'll give you the Discord link / my steam ID.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'll be there. I might have to cut short when the wife comes home, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Edit: Ooops, timezones. Mixed up 3 hours ahead with 3 hours behind.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 18, 2018

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So I've played some Ardent Mages up until the late game, and I gotta say, nobody actually talks about how painful the early game is with these guys. When your frontline troops die if a Haunt looks at them funny and all of your Dust is going into science pillars timescale the era 1-2 hellscape, it feels really bad. But then you get the dust pillars online get some health on your warlocks, and suddenly everything's solved! I'm having a blast with them now.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Are you using their combat spells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Avasculous posted:

Are you using their combat spells?

This. Whenever I forget about their spells I get rocked every time.