Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

DrNutt posted:

I'm just sitting here wondering what sort of crazy rear end butterfly effect poo poo went on due to the destruction of the Kelvin that made Sulu gay.

I just watched OG Trek and Sulu just seemed like he was down for anything, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DrNutt posted:

I'm just sitting here wondering what sort of crazy rear end butterfly effect poo poo went on due to the destruction of the Kelvin that made Sulu gay.

And turned Khan into a pasty white guy who wasn't adrift in space aboard the Botany Bay.

This was an alternate timeline long before the Narada showed up.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Well I’m definitely glad the doctor can move about the ship with his new mobile emitter.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I mean, I kind of figured that if anything, maybe Sulu was bi all along, but only went for the lady side of things in the OG timeline, while he found a guy in the kelvin verse that had him go for the other side of things there.

Still Sulu, just different experiences leading to different pursuits.

But bisexuals don't exist, so...

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Q is gonna gently caress Janeway and they’ll make a qaby

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Windows 98 posted:

Voyager has like 40% less ghosts than all other Treks.

That's because Voyager ran into the alien who pretended to take people to the afterlife but actually sucked their souls life energy into his pocket universe to eat them when they died.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Brawnfire posted:

I guess I must have, I'm just there thinking how can anyone take Jim "Smirkin' Jerk" Halpert seriously with a gun?

Krasinski was the backup choice to be Captain America if Marvel Studios couldn't get a deal done with Chris Evans.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DrNutt posted:

I'm pretty sure Sulu was never actively straight in TOS except in the mirror universe.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Timby posted:

Krasinski was the backup choice to be Captain America if Marvel Studios couldn't get a deal done with Chris Evans.

Those movies would have been way less tolerable.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

skasion posted:

Tbh I would be sadder to lose Urban than I would be to lose Pine. Dudes a champ and always gives 110% to nerd poo poo. Hope Villeneuve can fit him into Dune or something.

Karl Urban better be doing the Dredd tv show!

And about Pine, how is he in Wonder Woman 2? Didn’t his character die in the first one? And isn’t the sequel set decades later?

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

marktheando posted:

Karl Urban better be doing the Dredd tv show!

And about Pine, how is he in Wonder Woman 2? Didn’t his character die in the first one? And isn’t the sequel set decades later?

Maybe it’s Steve Trevor’s grandson sort of like what they did on the 70s tv show.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

marktheando posted:

Having directly observed some production, all I know is that it is fantastically early 80s in the film.

So many late 70s land yachts

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Haha that sounds like a fun setting. So Wonder Woman can do what Captain America did and have their love interest be the half century younger relative of their love interest from a previous movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

marktheando posted:

Haha that sounds like a fun setting. So Wonder Woman can do what Captain America did and have their love interest be the half century younger relative of their love interest from a previous movie.

Not quite, Patty Jenkins is apparently fighting hard with DC executives to make Barbara (Cheetah before she gets cursed and turns into a supervillain) Diana's love interest in this movie, which Jenkins and Gadot want but DC execs are horrified at.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Jesus Christ. DC still won’t give Jenkins the ability to do whatever the gently caress she wants after the last film?!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CaveGrinch posted:

Jesus Christ. DC still won’t give Jenkins the ability to do whatever the gently caress she wants after the last film?!

Gay people means Russia and China will probably ban the movie.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
no homo

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cythereal posted:

Not quite, Patty Jenkins is apparently fighting hard with DC executives to make Barbara (Cheetah before she gets cursed and turns into a supervillain) Diana's love interest in this movie, which Jenkins and Gadot want but DC execs are horrified at.

"gently caress, do we really want more letters and emails with the acronym "SJW" every five words?"

"Dude, that happened when a woman stood in front of a man on a poster for a movie about the woman's character. Just push the throttle, pussy."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MikeJF posted:

I'm pretty sure Sulu was never actively straight in TOS except in the mirror universe.

Who says he was straight in the mirror universe? He was just fixated on Uhura.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pick posted:

My mom got hit by a car on her bike so she’s pretty bruised up so I’m hanging with my folks and watching TOS :toot:. We’re at City and the Edge of Forever.

How does a car ride a bike???

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"Dear Doctor" is a bad episode. Phlox genocided a species.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

"Dear Doctor" is a bad episode. Phlox genocided a species.

It could have been interesting if humanity had gone out to the stars truly thinking that aliens were enlightened and advanced compared to us. The Enterprise crew keeps putting a huge amount of trust and respect in alien perspectives... and then it turns out they're just as bigoted, big-headed, and bellicose as humans ever were, just they have warp engines.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The sad thing about Dear Doctor is that it’s still one of the best episodes of the season just because it’s about something and there’s enough in the episode that you can actually spend more than a minute or two thinking about it.

Of course if you do you’ll probably conclude it’s morally abhorrent, but with Ent you have to take what you can get.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

CPColin posted:

How does a car ride a bike???

Not very carefully.

Seriously, don't be a dick, show some compassion.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

It could have been interesting if humanity had gone out to the stars truly thinking that aliens were enlightened and advanced compared to us. The Enterprise crew keeps putting a huge amount of trust and respect in alien perspectives... and then it turns out they're just as bigoted, big-headed, and bellicose as humans ever were, just they have warp engines.

This would have been interesting. There's no shortage of people out there that seem to seriously entertain that aliens must be more ~advanced~ and hippie dippie instead "the universe is a brutal place, where death stalks you at every turn, and we loving won and have our glorious theocratic star empire. Now get conquered or get exterminated. Although we'll probably exterminate your species after we figure out that you make lovely slaves." is just as possible.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

After The War posted:

Buy your mom an SA account so we can geek out over old sci-fi.

Haha, My parents are odd in a number of ways, but one is that they are a bit reluctant to admit they like Star Trek... not because it’s geeky, but because they consider it like kiddie sci-fi. Their home is full of old yellowed Asimovs, Nivens, Pournelles (which is also what I was raised on!) I even made a thread once where I found my old 6th grade illustrated book report on Ringworld :buddy:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Trickjaw posted:

Not very carefully.

Seriously, don't be a dick, show some compassion.

Jokes are compassionate. :colbert:

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Janeway is currently doing her best Ripley from Alien impression right now, and I’m loving it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Windows 98 posted:

Janeway is currently doing her best Ripley from Alien impression right now, and I’m loving it.

Macrocosm?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pick posted:

Haha, My parents are odd in a number of ways, but one is that they are a bit reluctant to admit they like Star Trek... not because it’s geeky, but because they consider it like kiddie sci-fi. Their home is full of old yellowed Asimovs, Nivens, Pournelles (which is also what I was raised on!) I even made a thread once where I found my old 6th grade illustrated book report on Ringworld :buddy:

Can I coin the phrase "sci-falootin'" for this?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cythereal posted:

Gay people means Russia and China will probably ban the movie.

gently caress 'em

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Can't say that with regard to China, considering that Alibaba is financing most of Paramount's films now and reportedly has an option to buy the entire studio outright if it wants to.

Edit: Oh, you were talking about Wonder Woman 2. Yeah, gently caress 'em.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 11, 2018

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

MillennialVulcan posted:

Hope your mom feels better soon. I picked up the comic book version of City with the original Ellison script and really enjoyed it.

Oooh, can you tell me more about this? I've always wondered what the original was like because there's no way he wrote anything even remotely close to what it turned out to be.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
There was something about one of the Enterprise crewmembers being a drug dealer, wasn’t there?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Phylodox posted:

There was something about one of the Enterprise crewmembers being a drug dealer, wasn’t there?

No, that's a thing that Roddenberry invented and liked to say at conventions (that Ellison had Scotty dealing drugs in the past). In fact, Scotty was literally never in a single one of Ellison's drafts. One of the many reasons Ellison loving hated Roddenberry.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Timby posted:

No, that's a thing that Roddenberry invented and liked to say at conventions (that Ellison had Scotty dealing drugs in the past). In fact, Scotty was literally never in a single one of Ellison's drafts. One of the many reasons Ellison loving hated Roddenberry.

Roddenberry invented that it was Scotty dealing the drugs, yeah, but there was a drug dealing crewman in early drafts. Unless the Wikipedia entry is wrong.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

Can I coin the phrase "sci-falootin'" for this?

100% justified. However, they also have like 0 merchandise, or any decorative art in their home that wasn’t made by me or given to them by someone. So their house looks like what I complain about wrt: crew quarters, only if riker never vacuumed

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Timby posted:

It's not Scotty, but there was a character, an officer named Beckwith, who had "Jewels of Sound", illegal "dream narcotics", that he would hook aliens on in exchange for their treasures. In Ellison's script, It's Beckwith's going back in time that changes history.

Here's Ellison's draft.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hehe they’ve never seen TAS so I brought up The Slaver Weapon and my dad flipped that there are kzin in Star Trek and that they adapted that story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Macrocosm?

Yeah! The villain monsters are kind of awful looking but the rest of the episode was great.