Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hell, at this point I'm hoping OFS would mod the game so Raven goes PULSE on the final segment and demolishes everything out of rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Anyway we're right into another boss fight.

I don't know about you, but I like it when I get to fight bosses a lot. Reborn should've had less melodrama and kidnapping, and more of this. Just give me a giant list of Pokemon to use and dare me to fight all these bosses, that's a game.

That Pokeball is floating.

She seems to be crackling with psychic energy in fact.

Telluric Seeds on Ashen Beaches add Focus Energy's increased critical hit rate and Laser Focus's ensured critical hit.

I need this motherfucker dead fast. He knows Rock Slide and Payback and will hit like a drat dump truck.

The rest of her team doesn't quite have the ability to erase Swiggity from history. Ashen Beach boosts Psychic's damage by 20%. Not Psychic attacks, just Psychic The Move.

Well and a few other things, but it means Big Bong with Extrasensory is out of luck.

Calm Mind's stat changes are doubled on the Ashen Beach. This would normally be a problem.

But items come first in this rotten hellhole, it seems.

This gives Swiggity a chance to double a doubled calm mind.

Swiggity swooadge, I'm comin' for that gym badge!

(There's a Hitmonlee somewhere in there. It died.)

Simple affects X Items, did I mention that? I can triple one of Swiggity's stats basically whenever.

I had the opening to do so because this Toxicroak's Sucker Punch was incredibly obvious.

Sucker Punch is unSTABBed so with the +4 defense, it doesn't really stop me.

Approximately 14 times the damage of a normal hit, that Toxicroak was not surviving Psychic.

Kiki's last Pokemon is her Medicham. It has Meditate, which is a good move on Ashen Beaches, and has a Telluric Seed to punch through Swiggity's defense.

So I opt for Air Slash here, to make sure I get that OHKO. This Medicham is Jolly with max speed IV, so it's pretty swift.

The reason I didn't before now, special flying moves cause the user to lose accuracy, a hit that's doubled by Simple just as the stat increases are.

But it was her last Pokemon, so I don't have to live with it.

See, that doesn't seem so ba-

Well then.

"Like in Beginning Meditation, right? Keep it steady. You're okay."
"Am I? There's no longer any point to keeping up a facade of serenity. After a display like that-- collapsing in the courtyard... My glass reputation is already shattered."
"Nobody could be as strong as you have through all of this. Look at everything you've done, all the people you've made happy, and--"

"Please calm down."
"How can I? "Defeat the inner chaos?" Did you think I was only talking about zen of the mind? I could be centered to dead-zero and I will still end up just that. No amount of meditation is going to change the simple fact that my body is killing itself!"
"Right..."
"Victoria!"

Victoria leaves.

On one hand, you have a woman who teaches inner strength and self-control who is dying from some sort of cancer or auto-immune disease and no amount of medicine or meditation can save her. She can't stop her body from tearing itself apart.

On the other hand, I still have not obtanied the TMX for Strength or a badge.

So for once I leave a room and run into Victoria, instead of the other way around. But like usual it's a lot of words.

Keep in mind the reason I'm here is to obtain Strength so I can move one rock to rescue kidnapped orphans, so it kind of chafes that I keep having to do stunts and then Kiki decides nah, gonna mope.

Apparently this is a thing, now?? Was it the case for Corey? Is there someone stuck behind a Strength puzzle because their badge turned off in the middle of it? Would my Pokemon stop respecting me if Team Meteor murdered enough leaders?

Noticably absent from these events has been Cain, who left long before we did. No one on Apophyll has seen him, and they'd remember the pansexual gothic pervert who is also very concerned about orphans.

Oh thanks for reminding me of the hydra of chores I have that I have made no progress on.

The only other thing in Azurine Lake is Azurine Island, so named

Because it's an island on the lake.

The swampy terrain only appears here unless specifically caused by moves. It's a hodgepodge of effects that are only sort of related.

Great, this will go well with the Rest TM when I get it after I beat the 12th gym leader.

Azurine Island is a loving labyrinth of one-tile gaps in scenery and winding paths. It's pretty boring. There's no real hazards and 4/5 of the items are actually Foongus.

At least the swamp can ostensibly be made whenever the player can. I don't think many of them are good at using it, but maybe it's about screwing the other guy over.

Aw, shiny Foongus are Great Balls. That's just darling.

At the end of the incredible maze is a building.

"Hmph, you again!"
"Come trying to find your friend again, have you?"
"But I'm afraid you're too late! We captured him already."
"You've always had a friend to help you before. And now? Game over."

Sheesh, must suck being passed over promotion to knighthood. Or maybe Aster just didn't want to deal with the coil.

In addition to their matching Lycanrocs, they have matching Solrock/Lunatone and Passimian/Oranguru.

Not particularly difficult.

Can you spot the hidden doorway?

It was right here all along.

Oh that's nice, healing machine and a PC.

"Let's get going shortly, all right? Oh, hey, Raven. Didn't expect to see you down here."
"Heyyy, Raven!"
"Oh, yeah. Guess you came for your friend, huh? Sorry about that. We were kinda ordered to capture him, and well, he happened to be sailing right by, sooo... yeah."
"I am but a damsel, imprisoned and distressed! Raven, save me, my darling prince! Now they're trying to attack Apophyll!"
"Well... Yeah, that's the plan. Take a PULSE up there, take Camerupt up there."

Can I go two seconds without being as you know'd. I fished in that drat volcano.

"So we just have Camerupt use a little Eruption attack, and that's bye-bye Apophyll. That's one pocket of civilization wiped off the map and off our to-do list. Anyway, we were also ordered to capture you. And since you sorta just waltzed in here... Yeah, that's a thing."

I have no idea how or why they ended up in the secret basement of a building on an island that isn't their target with a camel that isn't native to the island but is native to their target or how if Meteor has bases and cells in every loving corner of the city how they're doing so poorly at the whole "get everyone out" thing. But since ZEL was sort of admiring the Muk that had been going for a while I'm just going to guess they like to sit around for ages.

Oh yeah, battle. Taka has a Klefki now.

Factory Field is as nice to Maxwell as ever.

Except his Chatot has Heat Wave, and enough power behind it to oneshot Maxwell.

Then RNG goes poorly and Chatter's 100% confusion saves Taka way too many times.

Great.

Luckily, Reborn handles this whole cascade of dialogue before a boss thing by having dedicated text skip. It's really fast.

Attempt number two, use X-ite-

I probably should've seen that one coming. Foul Play uses the target's attack, and Hairyetta, like all Dugtrio, has good attack but rancid defense. And I just doubled that attack for him.

But Swiggity has awful attack so she can withstand Foul Play fairly well and stat up.

Taka's Alolan Exeggutor demonstrates that Amethyst gets Exeggutor-A and makes its sprite literally twice as tall as any others.

By the time it comes back around to the Chatot, Swiggity has gained one level and now outspeeds it.

And blasts it apart with a +2 Psychic.

His 4th Pokemon is a Gligar, by the way. Sometimes these enemies just have things that instantly get blasted.

"Looks like I don't have a choice but to let you go this time, huh? Team Meteor, prepare to retreat."

Then, despite me standing in the only way into the room, they escape with the plan exactly in motion.

I wonder how many battles that change absolutely nothing I have to go through before I can move one rock?

"Hey, what's that look for? I was just kidding about the damsel and prince thing... Geez~ You can still be my prince if you want. But we have to hurry! If we don't get over there fast, those freaks are gonna make Pyrous erupt and destroy Apophyll!"

Then he casually struts out of the room. I suppose the reason I don't get a free exit is to grab the PULSE notes:

That's Primal Groudon's typing and abililty, which means that there's gonna be perma-sunlight that's so strong water moves actively fail, so it's only weak to Ground and will one-shot everything without actual Flash Fire.

The only things that can remove Desolate Land's sunlight are Primordial Sea and Delta Stream, the abilities of Primal Kyogre and Mega Rayquaza, respectively.

Great.

Anyway I have to navigate the labyrinth in reverse!

By the way, we still don't have the wasteland key.

Next event is back in this room, where I was before fighting Kiki and Taka, with exactly as much progress towards moving one rock as before.

They just jogged by without even bothering the academy, which is... a little odd.

"They're going to use a machine to make a Camerupt react with the volcano and erupt!"
"If that happens, then the academy and everyone here will be-- ..."
"From what I've been told of their motives, I can only assume that it is more than that. The two may be separated by the toxic lake, but if Apophyll is destroyed, the city will be hurt as well. Though we reject the technology which festers in Reborn, we are two sides of the same coin. Reborn, outside the city and within, is one whole. If one part is lost, the balance will be broken. The power will shift to their favor. We must stop them, and time is short. If they've already begun, our only hope is that Cal can hold them off for long enough."

Saying so much garbage about how Apophyll is part of Reborn in a way dumber way than the way I just put it has drained Kiki of her energy.

"Take it easy, Sensei! You have to conserve your strength!"
"There isn't time for that."
No, there has to be. You leave this to us. Raven. Cain. Please. I'm going to stay with Kiki to make sure she's okay. I'm trusting you two to help Cal and stop Team Meteor. All right?"
"Don't have to tell me twice! ~ You turn to us, whenever you need us We've got the power to protect us all ~"

So we're going back up Mt. Pyrorus, again, after having not accomplished much towards our longterm goals despite the 4 boss battles since we got here.

At least something happens when we get to the peak of the mountain. Oh god, it's something.

TALLY OF ATROCITY:
Confirmed deaths: 9
Acts of terrorism: 6
Acts of torture: 2
A Pokemon is ordered to attack a trainer directly: 2
Bad guys escape somehow: 4
Absols: 3

TODAY'S RANDOM SHINY:

Shiny Amoongus is taking this whole different types of pokeballs thing kind of far, but I guess that's a way to handle it.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Did...did you still not get her badge? After all of this you have to fight a PULSE battle?

What are the chances that she dies right after you get back from the volcano for a second time?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
If no one is getting tossed into that volcano, I'm going to be so angry

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

These hamfisted attempts to give Cain a character trait just keep getting worse and worse...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Apparently this is a thing, now??
This is it, this is Reborn summed up in one image.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Oh no, person we've barely met, you can't die! That would be awful! If you die, then our badges will immediately stop being valid (for some reason) and that would be the worst thing ever!

what is this

Also, of course, after all the stalling over the orphans thing, we still don't have the means to resolve that plot point and are instead going to be sidetracked to a volcano to stop a camel. (In fairness, that is obviously a bigger threat, but... it's still a writing choice, and somehow I don't think they're going to acknowledge the characters having to make a triage decison. That could've worked as a characterisation beat if they leaned into the scenario.)

And we all know camels don't make volcanoes erupt. You need rocket fuel, just ask Maxie.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Just when we think we've got a grip on how UTTERLY MORONIC this game is.

Just when we think we've managed to predict the particular flavour of UNBELIEVABLY STUPID BULLSHIT they're going to spew at us next.

Somehow, good old Reborn steps up to the plate and manages to be worse than even our lowest and most painful guesses could ever be.

Who would have thought that they'd add yet another set of open brackets to represent yet another uncompleteable task that has to be done before any sort of progress? Who'd have thought they would continue to draw out the obvious conclusion to this character's story arc and staple yet more obstacles to her in a vain attempt to make someone, anyone, give even the tiniest of fucks about this one-dimensional piece of lovely orphan-endangering crap?

It's just a vast spiralling black hole of idiocy and hate.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
You really should be increasing the torture count every time Cain opens his mouth.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Looks like we accomplished absolutely nothing all update. Good job team.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Time until Rock becomes movable: d-1

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Crosspeice posted:

Looks like we accomplished absolutely nothing all update game. Good job team.

fify

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Of course we aren't able to deal with a rock yet, it is clear that said rock is actually Raven's true enemy and will in fact be the final obstacle in the way of her becoming league champion.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So wait, you could be ready to challenge the league, after days upon days to get the stupid amount of badges in this godforsaken region, and then, right as you are about to enter, get told "no, you can't, your [BADGE] has stopped being valid since the Gym Leader that gave it to you died just now, lol"? Is that the rule here? Can your effort seriously just get destroyed by untimely death of someone, even though you beat that someone already and thus has no reason to invalidate your accomplishment?

That's incredibly stupid.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hunt11 posted:

Of course we aren't able to deal with a rock yet, it is clear that said rock is actually Raven's true enemy and will in fact be the final obstacle in the way of her becoming league champion.

Hang on a minute. Have we checked to see if that rock we threw off the bridge is still where it landed? Will the whole game be the rock seeking vengeance for our betrayal?

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013
All the bards in Reborn will be singing songs about the legendary Rock That Would Not Be Moved for generations.

Because that's how long it will take us to move it.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

...So, wait, didn't Corey die too? Does that mean his badge is invalid too? I legit forget if it was a badge that did anything, but I feel like that should probably have consequences if this particular occasion does!

unless somehow becoming a loving gengar means you're not dead but that's a really dumb loophole???

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

And we get to retread a dungeon we already did. Those orphans are gonna be skeletal remains by the time we get there.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
At this rate I am fully expecting the orphan plotline to not even be finished.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

BlackPersona posted:

...So, wait, didn't Corey die too? Does that mean his badge is invalid too? I legit forget if it was a badge that did anything, but I feel like that should probably have consequences if this particular occasion does!

unless somehow becoming a loving gengar means you're not dead but that's a really dumb loophole???

We never got his badge, so we don't know.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Luckily, Reborn handles this whole cascade of dialogue before a boss thing by having dedicated text skip. It's really fast.

What's this? Reborn having a feature that makes things less tedious?

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

BlackPersona posted:

We never got Corey's badge. That's why we need the wasteland key from Cain, only on the way to get it from him we got distracted by Heather angsting, so we had to follow her to make sure she was okay, and then she got kidnapped by the electroshock doctor, so we took part in orphanage mutinty, but then while we were running away from the orphanage with the orphans Team Meteor caught up with us, and we got separated from the orphans by a rock, so we had to find a way to cross the toxic river and couldn't use a boat, so we went through a factory to stop the pollution of the river, which didn't stop the pollution but we used a boat anyway, to get to the island we're currently on so we could get strength so we could move a rock, and in order to get strength we had to climb a volcano instead of fighting the gym leader, but then we had to fight her anyway, but our 'friend' didn't want us to so we fought her first, and then after beating the gym leader (and maybe killing her but she's not dead so we may have even failed at achieving that much) we got sidetracked saving Cain - the person who has the wasteland key - but he didn't give us the key, because Team Meteor are going to make a volcano erupt. Also we still don't actually have Strength.

I know the thread keeps talking about how we're doing all this to move a rock but I would like to make it clear that even moving the rock was sidetracking us from our actual objective of getting the wasteland key, to track down the new poison gym leader, to finally get Corey's badge. Yeah.

(Did I miss anything?)

Edit: Remember when everyone thought the worst thing the game could make us do to get Corey's badge was take it off his dead body? It's amazing how this is actually sort of worse than that, because at least that would be over by now.

GirlCalledBob fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 11, 2018

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
They're going to dick us around six more times, arent they?

So they can have their all type gym-cake AND their 'only eight badges' cake and eat it both like the miserable writing hacks they are.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
drat it I thought that would be closer! my memory of this game's getting foggy. Or my brain has started to excise parts of it to preserve the sanctity of my sanity

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

:cripes: I forgot how ridiculously dumb this game is. Of course beating a gym leader doesn't necessarily mean you get his badge, because Whitney and Clair from Gen 2 are the best examples of a gym leader...

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

What's this? Reborn having a feature that makes things less tedious?

Yeah, the game has a shitton of quality of life mechanics, actually. You can turn on dashing by default, skip text super-fast, x3 speed toggle, save with a single button press, adjust sound effect and music volumes, rebind controls, stuff like that.

They're all technical features. The game design is absolute trash around it. For one example, the daycare.

It's in one of the largest maps with a shitton of NPCs, so it has trouble maintaining the full triple speed. There's no good line to just press back and forth mindlessly to rack up steps, and in fact the map is a hodgepodge of random obstacles preventing you from getting a lot of steps in one button press makes it worse. The roaming NPCs have no particular bounds so they can get in your way. There's no conveyor belts or slippery tiles to just brace against either. The daycare man doesn't indicate if there's an egg waiting in any way just at a glance, and the pokemon center is for some reason between him and the daycare.

Amethyst can add in a script that makes things less annoying, but they're just bandaids on the massive wound.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

There are still 12 more gyms after this. or 11. I don't know. I don't care.
This is going to wind up being a 400 part LP isn't it?

Also:

Kiki: I'm going to die.
Raven: That's so sad. Alexa play "Give me Strength' by Snow Patrol.

Or:

Kiki: I'm going to die.
Raven: I know that facing one's mortality is a terrible thing, but I just moved literal mountains to get your badge and the strength TMX so I can save a bunch of orphans.
Kiki: gently caress YOU! gently caress THE BADGE! gently caress THE STRENGTH TMX! AND gently caress THE ORPHANS! I WILL EAT EVERY SINGLE ORPHAN, BONES, ORGANS AND ALL, FOR FIVE MORE SECONDS OF LIFE!
Raven: I'd be mad, but watching your veneer of aestheticism and self-control melt away is just too gratifying. Shall I spread your message to your students after I bury you far away from the garden so your flesh mulch doesn't taint the feng shui?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 11, 2018

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ChrisBTY posted:

There are still 12 more gyms after this. or 11. I don't know. I don't care.

We have four of the eighteen badges.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Epicmissingno posted:

Look, if the guy's dead, his badge isn't legal any more. Anyone could have taken one off his corpse. And they probably did, given this game.

I can't believe I called this dumb thing.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

We have four of the eighteen badges.

Are you sure your remaining time on this earth is long enough to finish.
Are we sure any of us have enough time remaining on this earth to finish?
Is this an elaborate lament configuration that Amethyst is using to seal away her RP group so that society as a whole won't have to deal with them?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ChrisBTY posted:

Are you sure your remaining time on this earth is long enough to finish.
Are we sure any of us have enough time remaining on this earth to finish?
Is this an elaborate lament configuration that Amethyst is using to seal away her RP group so that society as a whole won't have to deal with them?

Pokemon Reborn: We have such shitheads to show you.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I know it's been like ten years since we met them, but in case you didn't think Kiki was being enough of a poo poo about this, let's not forget that half of the orphans we're trying to save are fellow gym leaders.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

GirlCalledBob posted:

We never got Corey's badge. That's why we need the wasteland key from Cain, only on the way to get it from him we got distracted by Heather angsting, so we had to follow her to make sure she was okay, and then she got kidnapped by the electroshock doctor, so we took part in orphanage mutinty, but then while we were running away from the orphanage with the orphans Team Meteor caught up with us, and we got separated from the orphans by a rock, so we had to find a way to cross the toxic river and couldn't use a boat, so we went through a factory to stop the pollution of the river, which didn't stop the pollution but we used a boat anyway, to get to the island we're currently on so we could get strength so we could move a rock, and in order to get strength we had to climb a volcano instead of fighting the gym leader, but then we had to fight her anyway, but our 'friend' didn't want us to so we fought her first, and then after beating the gym leader (and maybe killing her but she's not dead so we may have even failed at achieving that much) we got sidetracked saving Cain - the person who has the wasteland key - but he didn't give us the key, because Team Meteor are going to make a volcano erupt. Also we still don't actually have Strength.

I know the thread keeps talking about how we're doing all this to move a rock but I would like to make it clear that even moving the rock was sidetracking us from our actual objective of getting the wasteland key, to track down the new poison gym leader, to finally get Corey's badge. Yeah.

(Did I miss anything?)

Edit: Remember when everyone thought the worst thing the game could make us do to get Corey's badge was take it off his dead body? It's amazing how this is actually sort of worse than that, because at least that would be over by now.

I already hated the plot, then i read your summary and realized I hated it even more than I thought.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

So on the subject of 18 gym leaders, I've been mulling over an idea. How do you think it would go if a single gym leader had two types to their gym? Like, Mimikyu is Ghost/Fairy and also very popular. Make your 8th gym leader have two Fairies like Sylveon and Florges, two ghosts like Dusknoir and Drifblim, and then end off on Mimikyu. Then do that for the whole game. Obviously not every gym should have five pokemon, but if your heart is so set on spreading the types around, why not double up? Granted this would only get you 16 of the 18 types, but its better than 18 gyms. Its a fan game, you're allowed to break some of the rules.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So, Camerupts live in the incredibly dormant volcano? And a single regular Camerupt using one thing it learns by default makes the dormant volcano erupt with 100% certainty? Nah, that's fine. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Damanation posted:

Did...did you still not get her badge? After all of this you have to fight a PULSE battle?

What are the chances that she dies right after you get back from the volcano for a second time?

If anything, I'm taking OFS not getting the badge as Yet More Evidence that she is definitely going to die especially with the dumb "reset" rule. It's completely irrelevant and bad writing to introduce at all, but not giving the player the badge is a way to eat their lovely lore cake and have it too.

I wouldn't be surprised though if a later gym leader DOES give you the badge and then dies just to force you to definitely have to level down at some point though. As is, there's no reason to introduce the rule other than to just raise so many dumb questions that will never get answered. Up to and including: how the gently caress does that even work?

e;

GirlCalledBob posted:

I could be misremembering already but I'm pretty sure we need the Poison badge to use Strength. You allegedly get it from beating Kiki but Corey/New Poison Leader's badge is needed to use the move out of combat. Pokemon Reborn.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 11, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Having to redo gyms to get old badges again. Just what Pokemon was missing.

I'm now imagining someone doing a Pokemon fangame that's "open world" the way that Vampires Dawn II does it, so you keep having to redo random gyms as you play the game.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

So, Camerupts live in the incredibly dormant volcano? And a single regular Camerupt using one thing it learns by default makes the dormant volcano erupt with 100% certainty? Nah, that's fine. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Nah it's the PULSE one with Desolate Land that makes it do that. On its own it can't, they're gonna shove it into a mad science machine.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Alolan Exeggutor is hereby declared to be Reborn's one and only positive contribution to the world.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

So on the subject of 18 gym leaders, I've been mulling over an idea. How do you think it would go if a single gym leader had two types to their gym? Like, Mimikyu is Ghost/Fairy and also very popular. Make your 8th gym leader have two Fairies like Sylveon and Florges, two ghosts like Dusknoir and Drifblim, and then end off on Mimikyu. Then do that for the whole game. Obviously not every gym should have five pokemon, but if your heart is so set on spreading the types around, why not double up? Granted this would only get you 16 of the 18 types, but its better than 18 gyms. Its a fan game, you're allowed to break some of the rules.
Question then becomes, which two types gets voted off the island?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Can't we call on our gang member friends and their connections to find someone with a backhoe we can use to move the rock? Society can't be 100% hamstrung by arbitrary pokemon bullshit. If it is, Team Meteor should really just be assassinating the gym leaders since apparently they control all ability to do anything of worth. Maybe one of the leaders' badges controls the ability for police to use their weapons and taking over that gym will render them useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Asehujiko posted:

Alolan Exeggutor is hereby declared to be Reborn's one and only positive contribution to the world.

Question then becomes, which two types gets voted off the island?

Normal and Dark. Normal because it doesn't really add much, Dark because it's Pokemon tradition to never, ever have a Dark-type gym ever.