Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fagmaster posted:

everyone of you can help, stop buying junk and spent only for necessaries.

especially stop buying from amazon and super specially dont buy anything from ali baba, never

*but i NEEEEED that thomas the tank engine transformer / but its cheap :downs:* :jerkbag:

Hey, guess what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Rarity posted:

Hey, guess what?

I feel like this idea, like everything else in capitalism, has been taken to the extreme.

Yes, it's true that you aren't ethical based on your brand or shopping choices. But there are certainly ways to be shittier than necessary.. A lot of them have been covered in this thread I think

anyway here's a good book to buy and great place to shop @

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe the sonic pic about consumption under capitalism isn't 100% serious

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ate all the Oreos posted:

Luckily for humanity, it's very hard to make a nuclear explosive explode... nuclearly. That's one of the biggest challenges beyond just getting enough material to make the bomb, actually - you have to detonate something like 32 or more points on the exact right position around a sphere of explosives at precisely the same time, like within plus or minus less than a microsecond, or the whole thing just explodes normally (and spreads a bunch of uranium around, but uranium by itself isn't dangerously radioactive).

it depends on the design of the nuke. the hard part of nuclear bombs is getting enough fissile material, not the actual bomb making. you can make a nuke with two chunks of uranium 235 and a spring to slam them togeather. it doesn't need to be a complicated implosion

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blast of Confetti posted:

The gently caress you say

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Rutibex posted:

it depends on the design of the nuke. the hard part of nuclear bombs is getting enough fissile material, not the actual bomb making. you can make a nuke with two chunks of uranium 235 and a spring to slam them togeather. it doesn't need to be a complicated implosion

I remember a university lecturer claiming he could make a nuke using gravity and a two story gutter pipe. Sounded cool at the time but who can afford a two story building in this day and age? :shrug:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

You are wrong, hth.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

beauty is in the eyes of the shareholder

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Senor Dog posted:

I feel like this idea, like everything else in capitalism, has been taken to the extreme.

Yes, it's true that you aren't ethical based on your brand or shopping choices. But there are certainly ways to be shittier than necessary.. A lot of them have been covered in this thread I think

anyway here's a good book to buy and great place to shop @

Lol, that guy never held a shovel in his life that wasn't part of a photo op.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Senor Dog posted:

You can minimize your impact but ultimately the entire system is based on exploitation and thus any participation is contributory. Any consumer change you make still leaves the underlying system intact.

Buying only from "ethical" companies wouldn't do much anyway . Few people can afford to buy all of their goods from companies which are "ethical." Usually the only people who can afford to do that are probably people who greatly benefit from the unequal wealth distribution produced by capitalism.

COMRADES has issued a correction as of 18:32 on Aug 11, 2018

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

poopnanners posted:

i sleep on my hoarded wealth like a dragon
:same: hehe

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

People have been taught that consumption is politics, so when you see Black Panther you're doing your part to help black people, when you buy green products you're doin your part to stop climate change, etc. It's really one of the most effective and insidious things the capitalists have pulled off.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

COMRADES posted:

You can minimize your impact but ultimately the entire system is based on exploitation and thus any participation is contributory. Any consumer change you make still leaves the underlying system intact.

Buying only from "ethical" companies wouldn't do much anyway . Few people can afford to buy all of their goods from companies which are "ethical." Usually the only people who can afford to do that are probably people who greatly benefit from the unequal wealth distribution produced by capitalism.

Ethical companies also often share the same parent corporation as their competitors meaning your money is ending up in the same place. Ultimately the attempt to individualise people's impact on the enrlvironment and society is designed to distract from the incredible damage that corporations do on a daily basis. Any improvements we make in our own lives mean nothing compared to that.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

Ethical companies also often share the same parent corporation as their competitors meaning your money is ending up in the same place. Ultimately the attempt to individualise people's impact on the enrlvironment and society is designed to distract from the incredible damage that corporations do on a daily basis. Any improvements we make in our own lives mean nothing compared to that.

that's why instead of a wallet i speak with my apathy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

poopnanners posted:

i sleep on my hoarded wealth like a dragon

Are Funko Pops soft?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

Are Funko Pops soft?

The beanie baby tags keep poking me

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Capitalism. Is it good? Is it bed? We just don't know. There is no way to tell really.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/BrianaSymoneee/status/1028043333426466816?s=19

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

Outrail posted:

I remember a university lecturer claiming he could make a nuke using gravity and a two story gutter pipe. Sounded cool at the time but who can afford a two story building in this day and age? :shrug:

I'm guessing he's referring to a gun-type device, so this is possibly true with some caveats. For starters, it'd be heavily dependent upon the fissile material.For example weapons grade plutonium probably wouldn't actually work as it's so radioactive it'd go prompt-critical as the tamper approaches the plug and heat up considerably, dropping the rate of emission below that required for supercriticality (so it'd just sit there cycling through criticality-induced heating -> cooling -> heating, letting off bursts of Cerenkov radiation all the while). You'd want some weak poo poo like U-235 and even then it'd be "uhhh maybe" territory, at least at a first guess.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Surely you still owe someone...right?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Deified Data posted:

I'd just be happy a landlord had died

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrPossum posted:

I'd just be happy a landlord had died

My landlord died and I had to move out because he had three children so the estate sold the place off.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Deified Data posted:

A landlord died. A good start.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
As other guy said, landlords always raise more landlords in an endless cycle of doughy failsons until the heat-death of the universe. A capitalist dying is never bad news but it could always lead to something marginally shittier for the people he held power over.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I am extremely into how in a few weeks or months this old lady is gonna get billed for that rent plus interest

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Deified Data posted:

As other guy said, landlords always raise more landlords in an endless cycle of doughy failsons until the heat-death of the universe. A capitalist dying is never bad news but it could always lead to something marginally shittier for the people he held power over.

As with any unwanted weed infestation you need to get the outlying peripheral offspring before you move in to the heart of the problem.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

I Love Feudalism
*picture of smiling serf with shovel done in the style of Norman Rockwell*
By Duke Ken Langome
Co-ruler of Home Depot.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Deified Data posted:

Not always, one of my landlords she had no husband or children. Went on multiple exotic holidays each year.
Told me she's spending her money and enjoying herself now because she's old and anything left when she dies will just go to her nieces and nephews. Sounded like she really did not want to share her wealth with any of her family after she passes.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Marenghi posted:

Not always, one of my landlords she had no husband or children. Went on multiple exotic holidays each year.
Told me she's spending her money and enjoying herself now because she's old and anything left when she dies will just go to her nieces and nephews. Sounded like she really did not want to share her wealth with any of her family after she passes.

A landlord not wanting to share their wealth? I'm shocked!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/1028011131049332736?s=19

Lol

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiYmCVikjo

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hail Satan

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rutibex posted:

If you don't care that the nuke explodes with less power than a comparable sized chunk of TNT I guess you could, but even gun-type weapons have to accelerate the chunks of uranium to thousands of feet per second to get them close enough that you get a proper kiloton-range nuclear explosion before the whole thing blows itself apart.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rarity posted:

Hey, guess what?

I saw people posting this as an excuse as to why they couldn't stop buying poo poo from amazon for one loving day to support that worker strike, great job assholes

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the waterspout
Down came a small brick of processed uranium, and mildly inconvenienced it

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ate all the Oreos posted:

I saw people posting this as an excuse as to why they couldn't stop buying poo poo from amazon for one loving day to support that worker strike, great job assholes

That's one helluva leap in logic and I have no clue how they got there

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

1500quidporsche posted:

That's one helluva leap in logic and I have no clue how they got there

“Since consumption is never ethical, it’s no less ethical to buy on the strike day than any other day.”—is how I understand it.

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Maybe boycotting is ineffective if you only do it for one day?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Here's the solution to capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

HCFJ posted:

Maybe boycotting is ineffective if you only do it for one day?

So I take it you think a strike day is when thwy put up the bumpers at the bowling alley?