Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I guess? I know a guy who's 29 and claims to have been named after Wolverine so I guess it was a thing even back then. Silly comic book names are something I came across at the store very frequently.

I've got a buddy who named his son Logan after Wolverine - so it's definitely a thing..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
The university in Cincy calls it Zavier. But gently caress them.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They were the Z-Men all along!

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I've known one Xavier for 15 or 16 years, and he was always Ex-avier

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jedi posted:

I've got a buddy who named his son Logan after Wolverine - so it's definitely a thing..

No I get it's a thing, I was saying that even 30 years ago it was a thing. A friend of mine named his newborn baby girl Logan Arana.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

pubic works project posted:

The university in Cincy calls it Zavier. But gently caress them.

Woah, woah, woah, gently caress you buddy. Go Bearcats!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

No I get it's a thing, I was saying that even 30 years ago it was a thing. A friend of mine named his newborn baby girl Logan Arana.

As in spider-related B-list heroine Arana?

(I'm not judging. A guy at the comic store I used to work at swore up and down he was going to name his daughter Jubilation. Whenever he said it his wife's eyes would go a little blanker.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

As in spider-related B-list heroine Arana?

(I'm not judging. A guy at the comic store I used to work at swore up and down he was going to name his daughter Jubilation. Whenever he said it his wife's eyes would go a little blanker.)

Yeah. Dude has the Arana tattoo and everything. It's also funny because we have a mutual friend who is also a huge Spider-fan and he's pissed that he was beaten to the Arana name.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Aside from being a comic book reference, Jubilation isn't that that weird, I knew a girl named Hallelujah (she went by Halley). Her parents weren't super religious so I always assumed they were just huge Leonard Cohen fans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's definitely some poor kids stricken with the names Gambit and Rogue. I'd put money on it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Remy would be bad, but hopefully there's only an Annie Marie in that case.

Still would be awkward now that they're married.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IUG posted:

Remy would be bad, but hopefully there's only a Marie in that case.

Oh no, not their real names. I know a couple who named their daughter Remmy. Not comic inspired at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

IUG posted:

Remy would be bad, but hopefully there's only an Annie Marie in that case.

No, he's talking about people with driver's licenses that say "Gambit Meyers" and "Rogue Stephenson"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's no way "Gambit Meyers" isn't the antagonist who's an old army rival to Chance Bordeaux (JCVD) from a lost Hard Target sequel from 1995 .

Possibly played by Dolph Lundgren.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Aside from being a comic book reference, Jubilation isn't that that weird, I knew a girl named Hallelujah (she went by Halley). Her parents weren't super religious so I always assumed they were just huge Leonard Cohen fans.

It was mostly his insistence that everybody knew it was Jubilee from the X-Men (specifically the cartoon) while his wife would sigh patiently.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

It was mostly his insistence that everybody knew it was Jubilee from the X-Men (specifically the cartoon) while his wife would sigh patiently.

Why wouldn't you just name the girl Jubilee at that point, there's a poo poo ton of girls named Khaleesi right now, most of them can barely talk now but I worry about them in high school.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Why wouldn't you just name the girl Jubilee at that point, there's a poo poo ton of girls named Khaleesi right now, most of them can barely talk now but I worry about them in high school.

Nope. It was 'Jubilation Lee <last name' or nothing. Sadly she was born after I was laid off so I didn't get a proper conclusion to the tale.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's no way "Gambit Meyers" isn't the antagonist who's an old army rival to Chance Bordeaux (JCVD) from a lost Hard Target sequel from 1995 .

Possibly played by Dolph Lundgren.

John Woo should've directed a Gambit and Rogue movie in the late 90s, would've been glorious!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

John Woo should've directed a Gambit and Rogue movie in the late 90s, would've been glorious!

Ant movie with them would have been glorious because it not Woo, it Gambit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr and Mrs X was great, when's issue 2 coming out?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

Ant movie with them would have been glorious because it not Woo, it Gambit.

Nice.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1028866713863913472

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Kelly Thompson is the best.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I am interested in seeing how they get the X-men who haven't been hanging out for years assembled again to disassemble them immediately. That sounds sarcastic but it isn't.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Rick posted:

I am interested in seeing how they get the X-men who haven't been hanging out for years assembled again to disassemble them immediately. That sounds sarcastic but it isn't.

Is adult cyclops alive again? I wouldn't be suprised to see them revive him only to kill him almost immediately again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, but they actually did that recently.

The Phoenix resurrected him to tempt Jean then killed him again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That was the best thing the Phoenix has ever done. Kill him as many times as you like and it wouldn't be enough.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I just want to hurry up and find out what brought Wolverine back. And why the gently caress his claws get hot now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

davebo posted:

I just want to hurry up and find out what brought Wolverine back. And why the gently caress his claws get hot now.

Because actual wolverines have hot claws probably.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Skwirl posted:

Because actual wolverines have hot claws probably.

Wolverines don't have hot claws...yet.

Cue solicits for Wolverine: The Other (2019).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Wolverine transitions to his rightful place as Marvel's lead villain by starting out a plan to make all the wolverine's on Earth's claws hot all the time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

That was the best thing the Phoenix has ever done. Kill him as many times as you like and it wouldn't be enough.

One for each family member he's abandoned in some way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rick posted:

Wolverine transitions to his rightful place as Marvel's lead villain by starting out a plan to make all the wolverine's on Earth's claws hot all the time.

oh no jonathan

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

davebo posted:

Charles Soule gave him the Ol Spicy Adamantium.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I like the Astonishing annual, and I like Charles being an exhausted rear end in a top hat who has dropped all pretense of pedagogy.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I liked it too, especially that he was so unapologetic about it. "The world is better off with the X-Men in it, STFU you whiners", ha. Though it does feel a bit of a stretch from how Jean thought of him from the last time she saw him (in New X-Men I guess?)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really enjoyed Extermination. Even though I'm one of the bigger supporters of the Young X-Men and them staying and knowing this will lead to them leaving.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just so long as young Scott stays or old Scott comes back.

I need a Cyclops in my X-Men!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Codependent Poster posted:

Just so long as young Scott stays or old Scott comes back.

I need a Cyclops in my X-Men!

My man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gotta be the OG, I don't want a Cyclops that missed the 80s and didn't wear a cool jacket in the early 90s.

(the OG from our perspective as readers I mean)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 16, 2018