Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

Maybe it's not that a gym leader dying invalidates a badge you already have, but if she's dead you're not authorized to just take a badge off her body for... uh... reasons?

Wait- why am I trying to make sense of this trainwreck? This game is getting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

FPzero posted:

Can't we call on our gang member friends and their connections to find someone with a backhoe we can use to move the rock? Society can't be 100% hamstrung by arbitrary pokemon bullshit.

It's not hamstrung at all, we saw that Lapras make ice stairs over an obstacle that was bigger than the drat rock. Everyone else around us can get past just fine. They are probably all going about their days as happily as anyone possibly can in this hellhole, Kiki's a prime piece of evidence that nobody gives a poo poo about the orphans.

And really, why would they? Kids get orphaned and abused on a daily basis here in Edgetown. No point making any particular effort for any specific group. Gym leaders die and need replacing all the time as well, don't get attached.

Likewise, this

ZeButler posted:

So, uh, did no one else notice that they're using the Camerupt as a suicide bomb? Because in that pulse description it says that it dies after it erupts. You know, for the full edge possible.
isn't worth getting excited over, Pokemon die constantly as well. Volcano's going to destroy the city? The city's practically in ruins anyway, would anyone even really notice?

Raven's just overreacting because she comes from a normal society that isn't numb to their own edginess. And even she's rapidly becoming immune: by now she just wants to move the rock on general principles, so she can carry on tracking down that one rear end in a top hat who stole her fish. Her master plan now is to get Gyarados and turn it into a PULSE monster to destroy this festering boil of a society, and I think that's just beautiful.

Commander Keene posted:

If we assume that Raven wasn't on her way to Reborn and the terrorist attack on the train was the only reason she got off, since the literal beginning of the game.

This, but now it's personal.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Bruceski posted:

"Catalyst for purification" is such a nice way of saying "living nuke."

:crossarms:

Dictionary.com posted:

catalyst
[kat-l-ist]

noun
  1. Chemistry. a substance that causes or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected.
  2. something that causes activity between two or more persons or forces without itself being affected.
  3. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change: His imprisonment by the government served as the catalyst that helped transform social unrest into revolution.

Not much of a catalyst if it gets consumed by the process. Amethyst can't even get basic chemistry right. :colbert:

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
The lack of original do not steal moves means that unless PULSE Camerupt has absolutely absurd amounts of SpATK (over base 200+ and thus higher than Mega Mewtwo-Y) that it will still be less threatening than Primal Groudon and it's 180 base ATK + 150 base SPATK + a speed stat that exists, even ignoring Precipice Blades.

That's before terrain bullshit kicks in obviously, and the fact I have to say "it may not be as dangerous as the second most broken Pokemon in the entire series" should sum things up perfectly

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Why doesn't Raven punch the face of every single person she meets at this point? Realism shattered.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mega64 posted:

Why doesn't Raven punch the face of every single person she meets at this point? Realism shattered.

Centuries of society's dependence on pokemon have made people unable to conceive of a person fighting another person

Wars are fought with I.D Tagged Pokemon from I.D Tagged pokeballs, with I.D Tagged TMs...

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The Door Frame posted:

Anime Stay Pretty Disease will soon claim another victim, which would make the TMX useless to us(?). Our rival (friend?) is mad at us(?) for forcing her ~sensei~ to battle and is too preoccupied with Kiki's Anime Stay Pretty Disease and our other rival (friend?), Cain, to remember to give us the TMX

The first part of this isn't even true, though. Kiki's gym just gives us the machine for Strength. We need an entirely different badge to actually use it, so her death invalidating her badge, which is still insanely dumb for the record, wouldn't impede our immediate progress in any way. There is literally no reason for either Kiki or Victoria not to give us the TMX at this point except to say, "Nah, gently caress you and also gently caress orphans." And we can't even attempt to push the subject because god forbid the player character have any agency in this plot.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Let's see:

1) We need to purify the water. So we have to bust up a water treatment plant and fight a PULSE Pokemon.
2) Now climb this mountain and fight this former gym leader.
3) Now fight your rival
4) Now fight the gym leader.
5) Now go to this unrelated base and discover another plot.
6) Go up the mountain again and fight another PULSE pokemon.
7) Go to Reborn HQ to acquire the necessary paperwork to install your rival as the new gym leader.
8) Go into the Hell Sewers to find the notary public necessary to validate the documents.
9) Fight your other rival.
10) Go to another ruined part of the city to take the paperwork back from another PULSE Pokemon
11) Fight another gym leader to get the key to take you into the ruined part of the city.
12) Fight the PULSE Abomination, then wait 3 real life days for the documents to process.
13) Fight the newly installed gym leader.
14) Go to the other side of the map to fight another gym leader to get the Dive HM so you can get the badge your rival threw into the sea because she's so mad that you had the nerve to expect something of somebody.
15) Gather berries for the gym leader's breakfast. The berries are in the garden of another gym leader.
16) The gym leader has been eaten by a PULSE Pokemon. Go back to the other side of the map and back up the mountain to find their replacement.
17) Try to remember which gym leader got eaten by the PULSE Pokemon.
18) Go back to Pokemon HQ to validate the paperwork on installing the new gym leader, waiting 4 IRL days this time because of weekends.
19) Fight the newly installed gym leader for the ability to gather berries in his garden.
20) Fight the PULSE Pokemon that ate the previous gym leader.
21) Go back to Poke HQ to reinstall the old gym leader to the previous position because they weren't dead after all.
22) Wait 12 real life days because the notary is on vacation.
23) Fight the newly reinstalled gym leader for the rights to gather berries in his garden for the breakfast of the other gym leader.
24) Go back to the previous gym leader and learn that you can't make his breakfast because Team Meteor stole his Puffin Making Machine in an attempt to create another PULSE Pokemon by merging it with a Goodra.
25) Fight the Goodra, take the puffin machine back, make the gym leader his breakfast that he's been waiting over 2 weeks for.
26) Fight your rival again.
27) Fight your rival again.
28) Get bitched at for not saving the orphans faster.
29) Fight the gym leader and get the dive TM.
30) Go back to the island and promptly remember that you can't teach dive to a boat.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 12, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Teaching a boat Dive is easy.

Now... teaching it Surface, that's the rub.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

24) Go back to the previous gym leader and learn that you can't make his breakfast because Team Meteor stole his Puffin Making Machine in an attempt to create another PULSE Pokemon by merging it with a Goodra.

As marvelous as a "Puffin Making Machine" is, I suspect you meant Poffin? Puffins are birds.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

I don't want to belabor the point any more than I already have, but why is the zen psychic gym on a volcano island? This poo poo is just Cinnabar Island 2: Electric Boogaloo
zen psychic gym, featuring Machamp on the gym leader's team EDIT: i just read the gym leader battle the other day and i don't know what type her gym is

i'm sure i could look it up, but :effort:

the Orb of Zot posted:

The lack of original do not steal moves means that unless PULSE Camerupt has absolutely absurd amounts of SpATK (over base 200+ and thus higher than Mega Mewtwo-Y)
I dunno, that special attack bar on the chart was really far over to the right. It might, in fact, have over 200 base special attack. If I had to guess I'd say it's around 225?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

azren posted:

As marvelous as a "Puffin Making Machine" is, I suspect you meant Poffin? Puffins are birds.

I did. But I think I like it better this way.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If Kiki uses the last of her energy to lift the rock in some kind of sacrificial way, I am going to laugh very hard.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You never actually get the strength TM because kiki dies thus somehow magically invalidating her badge, and her apprentice spends the next of the game weeping all her mascara off.

Instead you summon Kiki's gengar ghost to strength boulders out of the way for you.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They gave her magic powers and told us she's dying so logic would dictate that her last magic fart is going to be some attempt at an epic sacrifice.

This game hasn't followed logic thus far, though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mr. Grimdark McCreepyPasta is going to have a whole team of dead gym leaders at this rate.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

megane posted:

Description text written by someone whose only exposure to prose is anime subtitles. Good thing they had a thesaurus handy.

You know what the prose reminds me of? loving Major/Minor - it's that same excessively long and indirect way of referring to things, with excessively vague terms of someone who read only fan-translated light novels, anime subs, and those ridiculous multi-para ~literate~ rp where Radars is considered a legit substitute for ears.

Let's see if I can unfuck the description:

"Created as an amplifier, PULSE Camerupt reacts with a volcanic eruption when expose to extreme heat. After it erupts, it will perish due to being unable to cool itself down."

That still flows pretty badly I'll admit, but there's so little you can do with so many Important Words with little context (purification) and the misapplication of Catalyst

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Mega64 posted:

Mr. Grimdark McCreepyPasta is going to have a whole team of dead gym leaders at this rate.
He can use the needless deaths on the initial train into town as trash mobs!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Robindaybird posted:

"Created as an amplifier, PULSE Camerupt reacts with a volcanic eruption when expose to extreme heat. After it erupts, it will perish due to being unable to cool itself down."

"When its power is amplified with a PULSE machine, Camerupt will explode in a shower of lava."

Boom, fantansy bomb. Turns out the train station explosion was Team Meteor trying to make the train station uncomfortably muggy with a PULSE Slugma.

Edit: Make Team Meteor a band of well-meaning idiots who keep double down on their mistakes. The PULSE machines make the city better for a little while but running them more than a few days leads to disaster.

Every Pokemon they stick in a PULSE machine explodes. Trying to regrow the city's greenery with a PULSE Tangrowth? Worked for a few days, things were nice, flowers everywhere. Whoops, it exploded now the city's vines. Trying to suck the mild poisons out of the lake? Fish are coming back, you can finally get that Magikarp. Oh no PULSE Muk exploded now the lake is acid.

Wait, you set up a PULSE machine a few days ago to cut down on the toxic ash from the Volcano?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 12, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
OFS, can we get the actual base stats of that PULSE Camerupt monstrosity or is it too early?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
e: nevermind... as is standard for this game the reality is so much stupider than I could have imagined.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 12, 2018

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Guys, clearly we're overthinking this. The reason Kiki's not giving us the Strength TMX is because Raven forgot about the orphans and didn't mention she needed it for something urgent.

Come on, we would have forgotten about the orphans if the roadblock in our way to save them wasn't so arbitrary.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

limeicebreakers posted:

Guys, clearly we're overthinking this. The reason Kiki's not giving us the Strength TMX is because Raven forgot about the orphans and didn't mention she needed it for something urgent.

Come on, we would have forgotten about the orphans if the roadblock in our way to save them wasn't so arbitrary.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I guess the rest of this gets to be extra fun because all of Kiki's actions are framed in light of her knowing there are orphans held hostage.

:geno:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

"No, sir. Them's my orders. No entry. No battle."
"And so you're not gonna send out your Pokemon either. You're just gonna stand there?"

This would be cute if Team Meteor were on the whole goofier, but with how serious and grim they are at the best of times it just comes across as awkward.

"Because that's what I'm here for!"
"...Kay. Nidoking~?"

So Nidoking shoves him out of the way.

Haha. :geno:

Cain goes on ahead, so we-

I swear to god Victoria.

"I caught up to you! Kiki made me leave her. She said there was nothing I could do for her. I know she's right, but... I don't like it. You know the way to the top, right? I'll just follow you."

Victoria is a partner for a half-dozen grunt battles.

Her Incineroar is a burly jerk and has Intimidate.

It's good.

An Absol hops about the peaks.

Victoria makes sure we notice it.

"Ever since he first came to Apophyll, I've thought he was really cool. He was helpful, and eager-- A little shy, but, well, that's cute, right?"

"Well, nevermind. Let's just focus."

Anyway lets jog into one of the dumber sequences of the game. Cain and Cal are facing off against Taka and Solaris.

"Were you defeated already?"
"Uh, about that..."
"Ugh, I couldn't take both of them at once..."
"You did enough, Cain, thank you. Raven and I will take it from here! I'm not letting you lay a finger on Cal, or anyone else in Apophyll!"
'How amusing. And Raven is here, too.'

"Hey, Raven, Victoria, we don't have a whole lot of time. Look!"

Camerupt mostly looks annoyed to be shoved into that.

"And you are not permitted to interfere. Taka, deal with the girl."
"Yes, father."
"Woah, you're that creep's son?!"
"Seems so."
"I'll deal with Raven."

hold on I think there was a dramatic reveal somewh-

He's serious, you know.

OST: Battle- Dramatic

What makes it dramatic I guess is it has a piano in it?

OFSelects: Ryota Koduka, Toshiki Konishi, Kenichi Tsuchiya (Shin Megami Tensei IV) - Battle B4

Solaris is only using a single Pokemon.

Also his super-long black ponytail and untied trenchcoat look have absolutely nothing to do with black paramilitary look of the rest of Team Meteor and I hate it.

It's a level 75 Garchomp, though. It has a full array of gently caress you moves.

Hairyetta can barely dent it with Sucker Punch, and that's all I can use because it's super-fast. Too.

You don't have to win this battle.

But I have to win this battle.

Cleoparty has Curse, and it is through this that we're going to win.

Naturally the Garchomp would oneshot her, but that Focus Sash from Grand Staircase provides her with one shot.

And that's all she needs.

Curse is unique among moves, in that it deals constant damage at the end of turn, never wears off, can't be cured except by switching, and doesn't require the user to stick around.

Naturally I have to spend time while Curse is working its magic, so I toss in a Pyukumuku. Its ability Innards Out deals damage equal to the HP Pyukumuku lost when it gets KOed, and Garchomp is one-shotting these things. Innards Out allows Pyukumuku to damage an opponent without using a move, so the fact this Garchomp is so fast and brutal is to my advantage.

Pukeo probably isn't a fan.

Solaris has two Full Restores, but Curse sticks through them.

And, hey, the turn from using one means Pukiet here can apply Toxic.

She immediately gets pasted for her trouble, but between Innards Out, Curse, and Toxic, the Garchomp loses all its HP.

The plan was Pukeo and Pukiet could alternate as I revived the other one, so Pukeo is here to get the Garchomp's entire EXP reward.

By winning this I get an astounding array of relationship modifiers, pluses to basically everyone here as well as people who aren't like Anna. Who is one of the orphans. Who is still behind one rock.

But he apparently has 5 other Pokemon and just doesn't bother.

Oh yeah, for the rest of this scene,

These two are just grooving along.

More than once the bad guys proclaim annoyance with being bad guys in a Pokemon ga- wait.

"Sensei! You should be resting at the Academy! You're too weak!"
"Stand back, Raven. I will take care of this. Medicham."

Raven is going to do nothing for the rest of the scene.

"The PULSE will reach its full capacity any second now."
"Therefore... Medicham, destroy that infernal machine!"
"Cal! Stop her!"
"Magmortar!"
"High Jump Kick!"
"Catch it!"

It does. Somehow.

"What are you doing!?"
"Sorry, Victoria. I know this isn't what you thought of me."

:rolleye:

"Y-you're betraying us?"
"Dispose of it."

Well that happened.

"Kiki!"
"Solaris!"

Well that happened.

"She would have died in the flames regardless. You have no reason to be upset. You knew this would happen."
"No, I didn't want this! Forget it, I'm done!"
"Hm."

I have no clue what Cal's motivation to aid terrorists is.

"Don't you DARE-- ...Yes, I am. I am weak. I am pathetic. I always have been. Kiki helped me realize that. And she helped me accept it. Strength isn't what's important. Or maybe it is, and maybe weakness is standing by, not doing anything to stop the things you hate from happening around you. I'll stop that right now. Magmortar. Destroy the PULSE."

The scren flashes white as Magmortar does something and the PULSE is stopped.

By which I mean the Camerupt is vaporized completely.

"You are insufferably useless. And you've killed your own teacher."

I mean

And they retreat so perfectly that everyone's standing exactly where they were.

"I never meant for this to happen..."

"You meant to destroy all of Apophyll?"
"I wasn't--"
"Did you want me dead, too?"

Seriously, what was he thinking?

"Were you just lying to us the whole time? Did you ever even care at all?"
"Victoria, I--"
"No! Don't talk to me! Go away!"
"I'm sorry."
"I don't even want to look at you right now."
"...That's fine."

Cal leaves... to the other side of the caldera. Where he hides behind a rock until he can leave without it being super awkward I guess.

"Are you okay?"
"I'm fine. I'm just fine. But Kiki is--"

Oh yeah, Raven walks forward one tile. That's an action.

"...That's right."

"It was her home. Everyone there was her family. She built it from the ground up. She gave her life to it. And for it. Oh, Kiki... I'm so sorry."

We immediately cut back to our favorite room.

wait you mean

It literally took a person dying to do but I finally got the loving TMX! :woop:

"And having witnessed your struggle from your first steps, I would like nothing more than to offer you the Fury Badge, which you earned against Kiki before. However, I cannot. Because Kiki is--"

Once again, though, we'll have to have another battle against a Fighting-type expert.

I think the real reason this happens this way is so Ame won't have to give me a TM as overwhelmingly powerful as Power-Up Punch or something.

"I'll take care to contact Ame and make sure that the reserve Fighting Leader is notified."

He's a clown. Literally from the circus.

"Apophyll Academy needs a leader. Kiki chose me. So, I'm sorry, Raven. It looks like we won't be able to travel together anymore. So... you two have to beat the Reborn League for me, all right?"

no

"Yeah. You still have to save the kids."
"And that means Raven has to beat Aya, huh."

So in the end, we tried to get the TMX04 from Kiki, but she so stubbornly refused she had to die first, and to get a key from Cain, but he elected to open the door himself anyway.

We're doing this to move one rock.

I know, they've been there f-

now you're just taunting me

On the bright side, we've done here and we never have to come back again!

Finally, we got somewhere!!

TALLY OF ATROCITY:
Confirmed deaths: 11
Acts of terrorism: 7
Acts of torture: 2
A Pokemon is ordered to attack a trainer directly: 3
Bad guys escape somehow: 5
Absols: 4

TODAY'S RANDOM SHINY:

...Cleoparty will not be evolving.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

That wasn’t the stupidest thing this game has done, but it was still pretty god drat stupid.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

wow

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cal: "I wanted her to burn to death, not get cut in half! Sheesh!"

This game is so lovely I just don't understand why or how it exists.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Oh yeah, for the rest of this scene,

These two are just grooving along.

This would make a good avatar.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Why was the head of team meteor just hanging out by the caldera of the volcano he was about to make super-erupt? Doesn't he have plans to do afterwards?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Soooooooooooooo guess what? Kiki is another case of a real-life player in Reborn having died and her death being written into the game. Except the real life Kiki didn't die from a dragon chopping her head off, she died from Nephritis developed from Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.

Also if you go back to the Creepypasta gym you can see that this is one of the foretold deaths.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm holding out for a stupid Jedi ghost kiki somewhere to offer Raven some more instagram wisdom. Her psychic powers can't be a dead end, surely?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm holding out for a stupid Jedi ghost kiki somewhere to offer Raven some more instagram wisdom.

And to find some new spiritual reason to delay the rescuing of the orphans.

"You can't go rescue them until you've proven you're doing it for the right reasons!"

e: by the way if Victoria taking Kiki's place means she'll stop challenging you to duels right before you're about to challenge a gym leader then that'll be nice, but she'll probably be replaced by someone else, like Fern (remember Fern?)

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Always good fun to beat up a high level boss, and ironically it's probably one of the more fair things in the hack so far. There's so much you can do to a single Pokemon to even the odds. Like this questionable quality Ruby Destiny hack I played where you fight a level 99 ~Dark Lugia~. You're supposed to hit run, but I instead out of spite killed its accuracy with Sand Attack and Rock Smashed its defense into next year.

Another Absol. That they take time to actually point out. Like the first one in the intro was admittedly pretty cool - an easy to miss background detail. The subsequent ones...not so much. It's like someone on the design team thought a lot about that, so they kept on doing it over and over and over again with decreasing subtly each time. Also for some reason I'm getting this funny mental image of it actually just being one Absol that's following Raven around.

EDIT: What the actual gently caress, another real life death written into the game? No words. At all.

SirSystemError fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 12, 2018

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Onmi posted:

Soooooooooooooo guess what? Kiki is another case of a real-life player in Reborn having died and her death being written into the game. Except the real life Kiki didn't die from a dragon chopping her head off, she died from Nephritis developed from Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.

Also if you go back to the Creepypasta gym you can see that this is one of the foretold deaths.

oh my god

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I laughed for most of that, not gonna lie. Humiliating that garchomp with a vomiting slipper limpet was great. Kiki's death was stupid, throwing her goddamn pokemon into lava was also stupid because pokemon regularly get drenched in lava, acid, boiling water and fucktons of rocks during battles and are fine afterwards. A long action sequence that achieved absolutely nothing and changed nothing about our situation. Huzzah.

As for this:

Onmi posted:

I don't even think I care any more. I just don't have any more outrage in me. These people are disgusting but I'm numb. (That said, Sheep please edit this info into your post so it gets archived for future reference?)

Everyone should look at this instead.
d'aww :3:

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 12, 2018

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

CAT!

Seriously that's so awful I'm going to focus on your cute cat instead.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

So we got Strength. Can we finally move the stupid rock yet?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'm not sure if I'm relieved or annoyed that the "boss fight" for this plot beat was a level 75 Garchomp instead of the Camerupt that was explicitly promised. On the one hand, it's cooler than "literally one of the objective strongest Pokemon ever" and you could say it was done because the Camerupt was somehow considered too unfair to fight. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure it's just so it can be another thing on the ever expanding list of poo poo that The Player Does Not Accomplish.

Zereth posted:

Why was the head of team meteor just hanging out by the caldera of the volcano he was about to make super-erupt? Doesn't he have plans to do afterwards?

He was hanging out there because it's a classic Bad Writing thing. The writer knows already that the volcano was never going to erupt for one reason or another, so him being there doesn't matter. There's no need to flesh out a detail that was never going to come up, even though that detail existing raises questions and issues.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 12, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

XavierGenisi posted:

So we got Strength. Can we finally move the stupid rock yet?

Nah we've got to get the poison badge because...

...because we do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I'm the villainous team leader completely refusing to take responsibility for both A) killing a person and B) failing to accomplish my plan, which more or less directly resulted from A).