Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm going through that woman's twitter history and she really is fixating on a lot of Oprah-tier pop psychology (and Eckhart Tolle) garbage. This is all stuff I recognize from what my mom's into and it's a perpetual pain in the rear end to try to gently detach my mom from some of these irrational beliefs that the Oprah hucksters aggressively sell. This is all unverifiable stuff that you can twist pretty much anyone into fitting, it's the same sort of stuff that pops up in horoscopes for your brain's pattern-matching to go "Wow that really is just like me!"

Note that I'm not saying that this disproves her allegations or anything like that.

lol: https://twitter.com/KarenMonahan01/status/1016399122381791232

She's still posting texts, someone posted them above. This is her comment and it doesn't look like we're going to get the video that allegedly exists anytime soon:

https://twitter.com/KarenMonahan01/status/1028730146805538816

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
apparently chapo listeners are 6% of the primary vote in hawaii

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I think Keith and his ex had a rough break-up and it sounds like they yelled at each other and said things they regret, which sucks, but it doesn't appear to be sex pest-tier behavior.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

uncurable mlady posted:

gonna lol if this lady turns out to be crazy
gonna lol if keith ein sexmonster

win-win for the lols

If it's the former, then Keith really does need to swear off dating, because he already did this before.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
what's the accusation again? I assumed it was domestic violence but it sound more like that hasn't been clamed.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I have no idea why anyone would completely delete a video that has a political figure in it doing anything

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Get away from him!!

Islam is in his veins.

Sharia is what he's about.

He's oppressed you...and will oppress others.

It took courage to let this out. Stay the course. No way you can let him back in your life...EVER!

#BanIslam
#KeithEllison
#domesticviolence

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

what is Shane's Law

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The alt-right are already trying to get to her and direct her to Laura Loomer :lol:

OmanyteJackson posted:

what's the accusation again? I assumed it was domestic violence but it sound more like that hasn't been clamed.

the original accusation was that Ellison dragged the woman off a bed and screamed at her to get out. There might have been some grabbing alleged, I don't recall the exact language used

Vox Nihili posted:

I think Keith and his ex had a rough break-up and it sounds like they yelled at each other and said things they regret, which sucks, but it doesn't appear to be sex pest-tier behavior.

Yeah everything about this smacks of a really bad breakup.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

can’t wait for keith to go on jake tapper to talk about the allegations only to get grilled again about farrakhan

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
good thing the #metoo methodology has zero space for nuance!~

(im gonna laugh either way)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/08/12/abuse-allegation-made-against-keith-ellison-denies-attorney-general-election

quote:

The alleged video was not included in the Facebook post and has not been provided to MPR News. There are no police reports or court documents confirming the incident. Austin Monahan said he confronted Ellison by text message after he saw that video and said "I know what you did to my mamma."

quote:

More than 100 text and Twitter messages between Ellison and Karen Monahan, shared by Karen Monahan and reviewed by MPR News, show the two communicating after their breakup for months, coordinating her getting her things from his house.

The tenor of the conversation at times was friendly, with the two acknowledging concern and care for one another, and at other times more combative over the terms of their break-up and the emotional pain Monahan said he caused her.

In one exchange, Monahan tells Ellison she plans to write about their "journey" in a chapter in her book and Ellison warns her not to. "Horrible attack on my privacy, unreal," he wrote in one message. There is no evidence in the messages reviewed by MPR News of the alleged physical abuse.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
guys maybe minnesota is a trash state

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Vox Nihili posted:

oh if thats the case i guess hes fine but yeah also kinda lovely

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
minnesota is the npr of the midwest

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

loquacius posted:

man these are some really long text messages but none of it seems to be pertinent to whether domestic violence has actually taken place, just that two people broke up and are being dramatic about it

"you need to paint me in the worst light" and "I'm far from perfect" is kinda nauseating tbh and just the sort of things a domestic violence perpetrator would say.

granted, those tweets are from last year and there's no telling the context but if he takes that tack now he's prolly guilty.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phone posted:

minnesota is the npr of the midwest

lol

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Land of 10,000 sexfiends

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I’m still idling in the gently caress off keith zone tbh.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Karl Barks posted:

what is Shane's Law

It's what was enacted in "Chads World" and gave us Sean William Scott

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

that's what I'm saying though, my phrasing was bad because it's not necessarily BAD, but a really interesting weird sort of shot in this situation.

the victim may not want a video of her abuse - possibly one of the worst moments of her loving life - distributed for the whole loving world to see

this is especially the case since she's been trying to keep it under wraps and out of the public eye for over a year, and only came out when one of her kids stumbled across it. even now, she's reluctant to dive in, and is mostly trying to just contain the level of twitter crap flying her family's way

publicly daring her to post the video may be a gamble, but probably a fairly effective one

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

really queer Christmas posted:

I’m still idling in the gently caress off keith zone tbh.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I mean either there is video like the person accusing him claimed or their isn't. Pretty easy to just sit on the sidelines for a few days on this one until they either back down or call his bluff.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Main Paineframe posted:

the victim may not want a video of her abuse - possibly one of the worst moments of her loving life - distributed for the whole loving world to see

this is especially the case since she's been trying to keep it under wraps and out of the public eye for over a year, and only came out when one of her kids stumbled across it. even now, she's reluctant to dive in, and is mostly trying to just contain the level of twitter crap flying her family's way

publicly daring her to post the video may be a gamble, but probably a fairly effective one

well, the texts she provided to mpr weren't produced for the world to see until she started releasing them. why didn't she have them confirm the existence of the video and its contents like they did the texts?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/08/12/abuse-allegation-made-against-keith-ellison-denies-attorney-general-election

There is no evidence in the messages reviewed by MPR News of the alleged physical abuse.

what the gently caress is happening?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Willa Rogers posted:

"you need to paint me in the worst light" and "I'm far from perfect" is kinda nauseating tbh and just the sort of things a domestic violence perpetrator would say.

granted, those tweets are from last year and there's no telling the context but if he takes that tack now he's prolly guilty.

if you look at her twitter history she became extremely fixated on oprah psychology and narcissism which unfortunately does lead these people to see everything in the worst possible light. the unfortunate thing is that that mode of thinking can be either accurate or wrong and it's very difficult to verify one way or another because so much of it relies on contextual understanding and twisting

that said I'm still firmly of the mind that these people are easily replaceable so I won't be concerned if/when he does go down

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

It's true that abusers do try to minimize the extent of there ause with language like that, but it is still common in breakups to play up the worst qualities in your partner. Also it's rare for an abuser to tell their partner to leave or for them to end the relationship.

I'm not saying the accusation isn't true, but if it is it's probably not going to be the typical controlling abuser narrative.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

comedyblissoption posted:

don't worry even if this is true the thread title can still be accurate for goons living in CA

God drat

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Ellison is an actively dating bachelor in his 50s he is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, a manipulative shithead. He probably also a sexfiend

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Thoguh posted:

I mean either there is video like the person accusing him claimed or their isn't. Pretty easy to just sit on the sidelines for a few days on this one until they either back down or call his bluff.

Agreed

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006
Total succ, personal experience edition.

Just had a Richard Neal canvasser come to the door. I explained that he hasn't represented my interest and that Tahirah Amatul-Wadud aligns closer to my households political alignment. This person, who didn't seem a day over 20, proceeded to lecture me on how I didn't understand pragmatism and that progress can come in increments who also brought up the fact that my chosen candidate is a Muslim. Thanked them for their involvement in politics and closed the door.

I'm a 34 year old vet and DSA member. Get off my loving lawn.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

SKULL.GIF posted:

if you look at her twitter history she became extremely fixated on oprah psychology and narcissism which unfortunately does lead these people to see everything in the worst possible light. the unfortunate thing is that that mode of thinking can be either accurate or wrong and it's very difficult to verify one way or another because so much of it relies on contextual understanding and twisting

that said I'm still firmly of the mind that these people are easily replaceable so I won't be concerned if/when he does go down

Fixating on Oprah psychology could also be a response from encountering some pretty bad poo poo in their personal life and trying to find a way to understand it

It could be a reaction not a cause

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

where is her allegation posted?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

The victim is posting them, apparently as evidence?

Not sure using the term “victim” makes it OK to trawl through her tweets for laughs or evidence of lying or entertainment value or whatever.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Lets Get Patchy posted:

Just had a Richard Neal canvasser come to the door. I explained that he hasn't represented my interest and that Tahirah Amatul-Wadud aligns closer to my households political alignment. This person, who didn't seem a day over 20, proceeded to lecture me on how I didn't understand pragmatism and that progress can come in increments who also brought up the fact that my chosen candidate is a Muslim. Thanked them for their involvement in politics and closed the door.

Glad to see that particular bit of scaremongering still going on.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
As someone who never watched Oprah, what is "Oprah psychology"

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

rudecyrus posted:

As someone who never watched Oprah, what is "Oprah psychology"

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Lets Get Patchy posted:

I still remember from my own experience in college how there are two different types of college freshman polsci majors. Usually, the butt of the jokes are the stereotypical pot-smoking slackers who rage against machine politics and wear Che shirts. These guys were generally harmless.

But the second contingent of pol sci majors are the ones who are actively involve themselves in the college town's Democratic machine as an intern or volunteer, have an encyclopedic knowledge of West Wing plotlines, and kept wanting to be "the adult in the room". I was sort of involved with this group back then.

Granted, it was still a relatively not-lovely time for the Democrats, since they were still riding high from the 2006 wave and Obama excitement. So the second group wasn't as off-putting then as it must be now. I can't imagine what official College Democrats must be like now.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 12, 2018

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kobayashi posted:

Not sure using the term “victim” makes it OK to trawl through her tweets for laughs or evidence of lying or entertainment value or whatever.

Your initial beef was about the texts, which she posted, as a followup to her allegations about Ellison. Her other tweets are also about Ellison, and she chose/wrote them in such a way that it's a message about him

This stuff is posted publicly online intentionally and specifically for other people to see

If these are off limits because it's personal or whatever then these allegations are also off limits to discuss or think about or even look into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

I still remember from my own experience in college how there are two different types of college freshman polsci majors. Usually, the butt of the jokes are the stereotypical pot-smoking slackers who rage against machine politics and where Che shirts. These guys were generally harmless.

But the second contingent of pol sci majors are the ones who are actively involve themselves in the college town's Democratic machine as an intern or volunteer, have an encyclopedic knowledge of West Wing plotlines, and kept wanting to be "the adult in the room". I was sort of involved with this group back then.

Granted, it was still a relatively not-lovely time for the Democrats, since they were still riding high from the 2006 wave and Obama excitement. So the second group wasn't as off-putting then as it must be now. I can't imagine what official College Democrats must be like now.

I'm guessing its a split between the chapo crowd who wants to burn it all down and the centrist lanyards in training that keep wanting to set up playdates with TPUSA