Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Again he got it off the ground. That’s not as simple as “floor it and pull stick back”

I've only flown Cessnas, but at least in Cessnas, it is actually that simple. I can't imagine it's *tons* harder in a twin engine turboprop, especially one with digital engine controls where it automatically matches thrust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Having flown in plenty of dash-8's I can say that roll must have been terrifying and awesome. I would have been waiting for the engines to rattle off

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

large hands posted:

Having flown in plenty of dash-8's I can say that roll must have been terrifying and awesome. I would have been waiting for the engines to rattle off

By the sounds of it, so was he.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

What's the reason for the Kilo class not having an upper part of the rudder? Is that for a specific purpose or just because?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hey yall Grave of the Fireflies is getting a one-day theatrical release tomorrow

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/studio-ghibli-fest-2018-grave-of-the-fireflies?date=2018-08-12%2000:00:00.000

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

GotLag posted:

What's the reason for the Kilo class not having an upper part of the rudder? Is that for a specific purpose or just because?

And then there's the one with like a magnetohydrodynamic drive fitted to it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bought tickets to it already.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Carth Dookie posted:

By the sounds of it, so was he.

True.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

GotLag posted:

Kilos are mostly made for littoral/brown water operations, and Russians like(d) to keep their towed arrays in those bulbous 'doohickeys.' A towed array would be useless in shallow water, and they can't be used in deep-water boats within ~1-200 feet of the bottom or you risk dragging or damaging/snagging/losing it. Deletion of the rear sail also would give the ship a cleaner and quieter draft through the water with less wake and disruption.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nebakenezzer posted:

I suspect it is phoneposting but "feeling shortly" is almost a good turn of phrase

I also know how you feel, if only because this year in Canada we've had two dinguses who've killed innocents then tried to suicide by cop.

cool image about the Russian sub fleet

I couldnt barely recognize them without their rust.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

orange juche posted:

Bought tickets to it already.
hasn't there been enough suicide in this thread already?

I studied the film in uni briefly, great film but god it's depressing

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

slothrop posted:

hasn't there been enough suicide in this thread already?

I studied the film in uni briefly, great film but god it's depressing

I've seen it at home, so now I'm going to get my sad on in a public setting.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

I couldnt barely recognize them without their rust.

How many of the older subs are permanently dry docked waiting for a total refit? I seem to recall that there are several or have they already cleared that backlog?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What's Seabed Warfare? I'm guessing stuff like mine-laying/clearing, diver insertion, underwater sabotage?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bring tissues.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Collateral Damage posted:

What's Seabed Warfare? I'm guessing stuff like mine-laying/clearing, diver insertion, underwater sabotage?

Right now it's deployment of sensor buoys and tapping undersea cables, also 'delousing' operations of your own submarine cables. The web site that image comes from is something of an expert on it, it's pretty cool.

http://www.hisutton.com/

That Delta IV the Russians have is the mothership for various classes of spy sub; once the last Typhoon is retired it will be the world's largest operational sub.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Bring tissues.

It can't possibly be as bad as taking my 92 year old great grandma to Up

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

BRING. TISSUES!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

shame on an IGA posted:

Significantly worse

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

My dude you have no idea

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It hits a bit harder when you remember it's autobiographical, and the story was written as an apology to the author's younger sister (i.e. Setsuko). You can see his feelings of guilt in what happens Seita.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

shame on an IGA posted:

Yeah, it's worse

And it was originally a double feature with My Neighbor Tortoro

e: get your kids these :evilbuddy:

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 12, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Nebakenezzer posted:

And it was originally a double feature with My Neighbor Tortoro

Because they thought if they released it alone it would be way too much of a downer

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Bring tissues.
Phrasing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Alaan posted:

Man people are losing their minds over space force when it would basically be 90% bureaucratic changes. Sorry folks, space has been militarized the whole time.

My issue is that it's massive bureaucratic bloat being added while doing little to actually change things. The real change is the creation (well, re-creation) of US Space Command. That's the organization that makes sense. A separate service is nothing more than an excuse to spend more money (a lot more money) and make splashy headlines.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 12, 2018

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
It's been about 15 years since I saw GotF, but it didn't make me sad, it made me angry and I hate that movie. I felt the tragedy was mostly caused by the laziness and selfishness of the big brother. If I want to feel angry I'd rather watch Now and Then, Here and There.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Godholio posted:

My issue is that it's massive bureaucratic bloat being added while doing little to actually change things. The real change is the creation (well, re-creation) of US Space Command. That's the organization that makes sense. A separate service is nothing more than an excuse to spend more money (a lot more money) and make splashy headlines.

A totally reasonable answer. Most I’ve been seeing is “don’t put weapons in space! Keep the military out of it” which is a ship that has already sailed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Alaan posted:

Man people are losing their minds over space force when it would basically be 90% bureaucratic changes. Sorry folks, space has been militarized the whole time.

As has been pointed out, an actual separate service is a Big Deal. A space command? Much less of a big deal.

The Big Deal isn't boohoo military in space or haha, we're colonizing mars, it's stuff like setting up, from the ground up, how they recruit, train, equip, etc their entire force. Whereas a command pulls from existing forces to build a force structure. The former is much more money and manpower and legally intensive.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There is a significant difference between space weapon transit and space weapon stationing.

There's a huge political difference between a secret weapon system you cannot use openly to block free navigation and use of space resources and a publicly acknowledged weapon platform that can

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The lack of a space force doesn’t prevent us from developing that and the creation doesn’t force us to.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Space has been militarized since Eisenhower. It's largely not been weaponized, however. There's a difference. But also: What Alaan said.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Alaan posted:

The lack of a space force doesn’t prevent us from developing that and the creation doesn’t force us to.

Load what you know of the shuttle program evolution into recent memory, then look at this though the eyes of a congressman

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Y'all thinking that this would become a glorified us space command are optimistic.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Potato Salad posted:

Y'all thinking that this would become a glorified us space command are optimistic.

They're doing both.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I wonder who the first enlisted will be to jerk off in space?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

I wonder who the first enlisted will be to jerk off in space?

Probably a Trump. Do you see him letting someone else have that honor?!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Saukkis posted:

It's been about 15 years since I saw GotF, but it didn't make me sad, it made me angry and I hate that movie. I felt the tragedy was mostly caused by the laziness and selfishness of the big brother. If I want to feel angry I'd rather watch Now and Then, Here and There.

The author agrees with you, which is why he slowly and brutally killed the character that was him in the story.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Yeah, Dyna-Soar was a thing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Not gonna lie being reminded of the existence of Grave of the Fireflies has had me emotionally off balance all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Hello thread, I visited the Patuxent River Naval Air Museum this weekend. I took some pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/cNzENdm

https://imgur.com/a/tDglN9j