Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pick posted:

Hehe they’ve never seen TAS so I brought up The Slaver Weapon and my dad flipped that there are kzin in Star Trek and that they adapted that story

I remember there were early rumors that the Kzin were going to be in Discovery and people lost their everloving minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Timby posted:

I remember there were early rumors that the Kzin were going to be in Discovery and people lost their everloving minds.

There was concept art for them for ENT's fifth season, and their ship at least looked cool - a neon red hot rod looking thing with three nacelles.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

DS9 S05E11 "The Darkness and the Light" synopsis: A hidden enemy systematically murders Kira's old Resistance comrades.

It seems like Kira's old Resistance comrades are always getting murdered in a lot of episodes, so I think I'll save this one for later and watch it after I've seen the rest. The following episode, "The Begotten", was great

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 11, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

There was concept art for them for ENT's fifth season, and their ship at least looked cool - a neon red hot rod looking thing with three nacelles.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

I don't know why, since the Kzin aren't that great. I liked them as a 6th grader though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DrNutt posted:

I really enjoy whenever this thread goes nuts with memes because it feels like a sequel to Darmok.

Some (most) memes are dumb as hell but who cares, tbh I enjoy laughing

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sUYcJ5lOBI

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pick posted:

Some (most) memes are dumb as hell but who cares, tbh I enjoy laughing

I always laugh at memes about Star Trek and video games and poo poo because like memes I'm dumb as hell. But I don't really care. I especially like that pon farr one you posted it gave me a sensible chuckle when I got to the punchline.

vV Me too! :hfive: Vv

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 12, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DrNutt posted:

I always laugh at memes about Star Trek and video games and poo poo because like memes I'm dumb as hell. But I don't really care. I especially like that pon farr one you posted it gave me a sensible chuckle when I got to the punchline.

I spent too much of my life not liking stuff, now I like stuff. :toot:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I like what's happening in this thread

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pick posted:

I don't know why, since the Kzin aren't that great. I liked them as a 6th grader though.

The Kzin are mostly great for showing how awesome humans are.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

it's true. also, coincidentally, that person who draws spock as a dog is desperately trying to get some money to buy signatures from the cast at an upcoming con, so i threw some money their way and they asked if i wanted an art, and i said damar would be good. what i got was worth every money.

i love this.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

T'Pol's jazzy mind meld is the Dumbest Thing

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

egon_beeblebrox posted:

"Dear Doctor" is a bad episode. Phlox genocided a species.

Technically, they were already dying, he just decided to let nature take its course rather than intervene.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pick posted:

An excellent likeness, thank you for sharing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Number_6 posted:

Technically, they were already dying, he just decided to let nature take its course rather than intervene.

What a good doctor

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
God drat it. More loving Borg. Enough!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Windows 98 posted:

Oh buddy. Maybe you’re watching the wrong show after all.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Epicurius posted:

It's not Scotty, but there was a character, an officer named Beckwith, who had "Jewels of Sound", illegal "dream narcotics", that he would hook aliens on in exchange for their treasures. In Ellison's script, It's Beckwith's going back in time that changes history.

Here's Ellison's draft.

Thanks for this, it was a really interesting read! Much more believable as an Ellison story, especially with the notes to the show's crew and Beckwith's fate at the end.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Windows 98 posted:

We warned you.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Windows 98 posted:

Lol your voyager posts getting gradually more negative has been good fun. Predictable, but fun.

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang
I just rewatched Far Beyond The Stars and, sadly, it's so much more powerful today for so many reasons. I felt ridiculous getting so emotional over a TV show about spaceships. Honestly, the massive amounts of makeup they usually have to wear does a disservice to the talent of some of the actors on DS9, like Shimerman and Auberjonois

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CBS have registered both Star Trek: Reliant and Star Trek: Destiny as trademarks for TV series.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m guessing Reliant is the Khan miniseries no one asked for, named in a manner that the writers no doubt believe to be clever. Destiny has to be the Picard series.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/SS_Urusei_Yatsura

The weebs have been infiltrating the series for decades it would seem.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Golden Gael posted:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/SS_Urusei_Yatsura

The weebs have been infiltrating the series for decades it would seem.

Rick Sternbach was/is a huge anime fan and was inserting various references, many of them to Dirty Pair, since practically the beginning of TNG. Two different props got modeled off Nanmo:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Urusei Yatsura I have seen translated as "Those Crazy Aliens" so that would be a great name for a human-crewed ship.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
And the doctor has hair... to show time has passed

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Windows 98 posted:

And the doctor has hair... to show time has passed

Given how much you like the Borg I hope you're strapped in for the next few episodes.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Senor Tron posted:

Given how much you like the Borg I hope you're strapped in for the next few seasons.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m guessing Reliant is the Khan miniseries no one asked for, named in a manner that the writers no doubt believe to be clever. Destiny has to be the Picard series.
Nah, Destiny's going to be about Ezri's career before she got the slug.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well, Picard was an ensign on a ship called the Reliant (presumably a later one than the WoK one), and I keep reading rumours this Picard series is actually a prequel, with P.Stew just back for linking material. :ohdear:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Well, Picard was an ensign on a ship called the Reliant (presumably a later one than the WoK one), and I keep reading rumours this Picard series is actually a prequel, with P.Stew just back for linking material. :ohdear:

No. NO! No more prequels, the line must be drawn here!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Alan_Shore posted:

Especially since they don't make the special sewing needles for the Italian sewing machines they need to make the WOK style undershirts.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Alan_Shore posted:

With the first prequel, the chain is forged. The first continuity error, the first unnecessary explanation given, the first sequel story denied, chains us all irrevocably. The road from engaging entertainment to rampant prequel writing is much shorter than we think.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I just hope that Destiny doesn't refer to those godawful books about the origins of the Borg with them turning into giant spiky ships at the end or whatever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

8one6 posted:

Especially since they don't make the special sewing needles for the Italian sewing machines they need to make the WOK style undershirts.

I never understood this, can they not just make more?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I've honestly never understood people getting hung up on those ugly turtlenecks.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, gently caress off.

Are the showrunners so afraid of trying something new that they have to shoe horn in existing known things? Discovery couldn't be it's own show, it had to awkwardly shoehorn in a bunch of stuff about Spock that didn't need to be in it, and they gave in the shows poor feedback by throwing in the Enterprise to satiate people who think that will make it more like their Trek.

A Kahn series sounds like a hilariously terrible idea. Is Kahn really that interesting or is he just notable because he's the one villian everyone can name?

I feel like half the excitement I've observed since this Picard series was announced was the idea that they could move into a new era we haven't seen yet. If they then turn that into a TNG prequel about the man 'before he was the one we know and love' - loving lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilfunkyogi
Jun 27, 2005
:effort:
They're not going to make the Picard series a prequel because the whole draw is seeing Patrick Stewart play the character again.

Only using him as a framing device is such an obvious mistake that not even Kurtzman would go there, and I doubt Patrick Stewart would sign on for something like that.