Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Suicide Watch posted:

This is going to sound horribly elitist but I've never understood the value of a school like QU, which have low academic standards and are so expensive. There are always comparable state schools that will have much lower tuition. Are these schools consolation prizes for people who did poorly in high school? Is it a badge that, expensive school = good? Is there a loyal and successful alumni base for networking? I only remember some hockey jocks from high school going there.

Here are some colleges with average programs but amazing water parks
https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/tricked-college-campuses-water-parks-luxury-dorms/story?id=26164491

It's a local thing, at least in the case of QU. Regardless of the actual quality of the education (outside their PoliSci department, which is world famous) if you wanted to show people in southern Connecticut you were loaded, you went to QU. Which is extra amusing because Yale is about 20 minutes away, so if you were actually wealthy you would be a legacy admission, or actually talented you would get in normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
This unite the right stuff is funny they're posting a bit of it in the cspam former gbs Trump thread

Edit:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/07/magazine/paul-ryan-speakership-end-trump.html

NYT Magazine interviewed Paul Ryan. Only gave vague non-committal answers.

quote:

Rubenstein also sprang a question about whether Ryan thought it would be proper for Trump to pardon anyone caught up in the Mueller investigation.

“I’m not going to touch that one,” he said. Rubenstein followed up with a related question about whether Trump should be allowed to pardon himself. Ryan laughed. “I’m good, thanks,” he said, as if he were resisting a plate of hors d’oeuvres — not touching that either.

Rubenstein eventually touched down elsewhere, but the pardon question lingered, at least with me. It came off as a quintessential example of Ryan glibly blowing off what could be a monumental abuse of presidential power and a potentially gigantic crisis. I raised this in the car heading back to the Capitol. His eyes bulged for an instant, as if some defense enzyme had been released.

“I don’t spend a lot of time thinking about that stuff,” Ryan said of the pardon issue.

“Shouldn’t you?” I said. It’s speculative, to a degree, I allowed. “But if you’re not going to touch that, who is?”

“I don’t think he’s going to do things like that,” Ryan said of Trump.

“He already has,” I said, referring to Trump’s pardoning of lawbreaking allies (Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Dinesh D’Souza).

“No, I’m talking about firing and things like that,” Ryan said.

Trump has already done that too (James Comey) and has reportedly wanted to fire Mueller on at least two occasions. “My point is,” Ryan said, “and I’ve said it all along, Mueller should be able to do his job.”

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
surprise, paul ryan is a coward!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/RealAlexRubi/status/1028679393013653504?s=19

Real: Look forward to the counter protest being way more people.

Levity: Don't know if the penalty for dual-weilding is worth it

But he double classed in duel wield, so it's actually +5 dmg everytime he uses the duel wield skill.

That motherfucker is carrying 4 batons. 2 straight billy club type, and what looks like 2 collapsible batons.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BigDave posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/07/magazine/paul-ryan-speakership-end-trump.html

NYT Magazine interviewed Paul Ryan. Only gave vague non-committal answers.
Biggest fake in politics.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

That Works posted:

Yeah that's fair. Also I'm in STEM but will be the first to argue that college should be well more than a tech training campus.

As a STEM major my college continues to be useless as a tech training camp

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYFtskeZrNg&t=50s

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bulletsponge13 posted:

But he double classed in duel wield, so it's actually +5 dmg everytime he uses the duel wield skill.

That motherfucker is carrying 4 batons. 2 straight billy club type, and what looks like 2 collapsible batons.

I could understand a riot baton and an asp style but that does seem a little much.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

M_Gargantua posted:

As a STEM major my college continues to be useless as a tech training camp

It pisses me off to this day that we all seem to have forgot how this works. A college is a poo poo place to learn tech skills, you need to be on the shop floor. A shop floor is a poo poo way to learn scientific or engineering rigour, you really want to be in a university or college being bollocked by someone smarter than you. And in general really good people need both experiences, because god help you if you try to do anything complex and you haven't.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hexyflexy posted:

It pisses me off to this day that we all seem to have forgot how this works. A college is a poo poo place to learn tech skills, you need to be on the shop floor. A shop floor is a poo poo way to learn scientific or engineering rigour, you really want to be in a university or college being bollocked by someone smarter than you. And in general really good people need both experiences, because god help you if you try to do anything complex and you haven't.

Well yes but training people is expensive so the taxpayers and students should be footing our bill.
- Tech firms

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Looks like the rallies are winding down, there were barely two dozen Right wing marchers versus several hundred counter protesters.

https://twitter.com/thencarolsaid/status/1028708659373776897

https://twitter.com/thencarolsaid/status/1028718421108768769

https://twitter.com/thencarolsaid/status/1028732159564161024

https://twitter.com/Matt_D_Cohen/status/1028727013325135874

https://twitter.com/SegravesNBC4/status/1028748794022834181

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If you want to learn real job skills, just get a unpaid internship for a couple years. So frustrating that people want things handed to them, when all you got to do is live in daddy's summer house for a bit and borrow their third car.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Looks like the rallies are winding down, there were barely two dozen Right wing marchers versus several hundred counter protesters.

Can't wait for this to get turned into "look at the intolerant left overreacting and trying to trample the free speech of some good ol' boys :qq:"

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Hannity gonna be lit tomorrow

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Excellent sign. Guillotines also acceptable.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

DC resident checking in. The big Nazi rally was a measly shart- less than two dozen Nazis flanked by a few hundred riot police who separated them from thousands of counterprotesters. This was never going to be a permissive environment for them (4% of the city voted for Trump and it’s still technically majority black here) but any notion of this being Charlottesville 2.0 died hard.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

I could understand a riot baton and an asp style but that does seem a little much.

Sure, until his arms split in half and he's ready to baton some Jedis.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

DC resident checking in. The big Nazi rally was a measly shart- less than two dozen Nazis flanked by a few hundred riot police who separated them from thousands of counterprotesters.

So a few hundred and 24 Nazis.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Nazis keep getting followed by Tuba/Sousaphone players, but I've never seen this high-tech guy before.

https://twitter.com/ellievhall/status/1028738397219766273

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

psydude posted:

but getting drug tested for caffeine before a track meet because they arbitrarily decided it was a PED was one of the stupider experiences I had as a college athlete.

Hahaha wait really? That's loving ludicrous. I don't even disagree with it being a PED, I'm just surprised they'd be so stringent. Otoh I don't even care about PEDs except for the health of the user.

Also lol

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 13, 2018

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

M_Gargantua posted:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hopefully this breaks the loving spine of these American Nazi poo poo head organizations and they crawl back into their holes to circle-tear-jerk each other. I haven't spent years working a project on anti-Nazi sociology so maybe I'm wrong but it certainly feels like them being portrayed as a weak and pathetic force massively outnumbered on all fronts by people who hate them and their ideas is a good way to go about it.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

They are a societal cancer. They may go into remission, but are never truly gone.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

MRC48B posted:

They are a societal cancer. They may go into remission, but are never truly gone.

Very true. But thoughts aren't a cancer and can be dealt with. eg:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

:colbert: Factually incorrect sign you mean. You can Bash the Fash with a board with a nail in it, a bat with barbwire around it, a brick in a sock, etc, etc.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mods changed my name posted:

This unite the right stuff is funny they're posting a bit of it in the cspam former gbs Trump thread

Edit:

WHY ARE THEY ALL SO loving SHORT DOES THIS LIL' GUY EVEN COME UP TO THE SHOULDER OF THE TRAIN COP TALKING TO HIM?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Defenestrategy posted:

:colbert: Factually incorrect sign you mean. You can Bash the Fash with a board with a nail in it, a bat with barbwire around it, a brick in a sock, etc, etc.

look at this guy who is ideologically impure....

traitor to the movement...

no true liberal...

:suicide:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

facialimpediment posted:

Nazis keep getting followed by Tuba/Sousaphone players, but I've never seen this high-tech guy before.

https://twitter.com/ellievhall/status/1028738397219766273

I love that this has become a thing

I see they didn't skimp out on the glory hole :stare:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Defenestrategy posted:

The bat with barbwire thing seems like it'd be more trouble than it's worth even though it looks cool. I've been thinking about this and I think studding it with acorn nuts seems the way to go

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Man, I thought the German neighbor-dispute game was on point, but this dude torched pretty much an entire suburb because of a 10-year-old grudge held with his neighbors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUaPtSvamPE

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Milo and POTUS posted:

The bat with barbwire thing seems like it'd be more trouble than it's worth even though it looks cool. I've been thinking about this and I think studding it with acorn nuts seems the way to go

Doesn't driving poo poo through a bat severely compromise its long term durability

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Eej posted:

Doesn't driving poo poo through a bat severely compromise its long term durability

If poo poo goes so bad you're warring in the wasteland, who cares, really.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

If poo poo goes so bad you're warring in the wasteland, who cares, really.

Wrap it tight with wire too.

Or use an aluminum bat?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1028959001969610752?s=19

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
:lol: two coworkers went to the rally to counterprotest. Highlights include standing next to a 90+ year old in a walker and their service uniform from WW2 who was there because "they told me there were Nazis here" and a 6'8" ripped black dude in a shirt that read "good night alt right"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Vasudus posted:

:lol: two coworkers went to the rally to counterprotest. Highlights include standing next to a 90+ year old in a walker and their service uniform from WW2 who was there because "they told me there were Nazis here" and a 6'8" ripped black dude in a shirt that read "good night alt right"

That old man is harder than any one of us.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Vasudus posted:

both of them own

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Vasudus posted:

Fuckin' "Greatest Generation" right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

There is a fantastic story about some paratroopers near the end of WW2 coming under attack from a pair of machine gun nests while riding in a truck convoy. Everyone was tired and just wanted to call in air support to clear it away but the huge black GI truck driver was all I ain’t got time for this. He grabbed the squads light machine gun and few grenades and proceeded to clear them both out himself then got back in the truck.
He kept the machine gun.

• Locked thread