Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I would LOL for like an hour straight (before weeping once more over the state of pop culture) if the Picard series turns out to be a drat prequel, especially after there's been so much talk of "Finally, Star Trek is going to look to the future again, we need it now more than ever!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Here’s my hot take: Reliant is a boring name for a series and Destiny is just terrible, especially when there’s already another series called STD

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What if Reliant were about that black Captain and his first officer Chekov, and they never actually reach Seti Alpha 5?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Sir Lemming posted:

I would LOL for like an hour straight (before weeping once more over the state of pop culture) if the Picard series turns out to be a drat prequel, especially after there's been so much talk of "Finally, Star Trek is going to look to the future again, we need it now more than ever!"

I want it to be just a retelling of Galaxy Quest, beginning with Patrick Stewart the actor being harassed by what he thinks is his pal Jonathan Frakes, but is actually William T Riker, captain of the Titan who’s come to steal him from an alternate universe to replace that universe’s dead Picard.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

I want it to be just a retelling of Galaxy Quest, beginning with Patrick Stewart the actor being harassed by what he thinks is his pal Jonathan Frakes, but is actually William T Riker, captain of the Titan who’s come to steal him from an alternate universe to replace that universe’s dead Picard.

This is almost certainly better than whatever it will actually be

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

skasion posted:

Here’s my hot take: Reliant is a boring name for a series and Destiny is just terrible, especially when there’s already another series called STD

They're doing it deliberately so people start calling Discovery DSC or DIS like they wanted.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
In Stewart's announcement at that convention in Vegas he did say "20 years into the future," so... let's hope that's all there is to it and he's not just there to bookend a bunch of flashbacks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

20 years into our future. This will be the prequel to end all prequels, as we finally witness the gripping story of Jean-Luc Picard's venerable ancestor, President François-Fabien Picard, during the events leading up to World War 3.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

skasion posted:

Honestly all I think when I hear "Star Trek Reliant" is a show about this

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Whalley posted:

Honestly all I think when I hear "Star Trek Reliant" is a show about this

picard driving this around space

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Still looks better than season 1 shuttlecraft

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I've honestly never understood people getting hung up on those ugly turtlenecks.

Because the Monster Maroons look terrible without the turtlenecks or the belt.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I want a small, cozy Picard show. Use play-performance rules. Understated, single-room setpieces. Conversational dialogue leading to conflict and self-discovery. Few characters, hopefully TNG characters, and they are the source of dramatic developments. No villain, it's man v. self or man v. world, but no "bad guy" or "monster" types. Resolution will be soft, with no problems "solved" or questions "answered" but personal development and character gravity gained, as Picard's archetype demands.

If a single punch is thrown by anyone but Worf, I'm done. Give me a slow, chatty trek with throbby engine noises in the background.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well OK but Patrick Stewart is going to require some dune buggy chases.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
OK, so a slow, chatty trek with throbby dune buggy noises in the background and bluescreened scenery going by like in a sitcom car ride

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Star Trek: Fury Road

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Bloop posted:

OK, so a slow, chatty trek with throbby dune buggy noises in the background and bluescreened scenery going by like in a sitcom car ride

Captains in Shuttles getting Earl Grey, where Picard has a different Captain from sci-fi chat with him while piloting a shuttle around.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

Star Trek: Fury Road

Please don't give me hopes, ideas, aspirations for star trek like this.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think it would be fun to have a Star Trek series written by one of those comedy teams who did Parks & Rec and etc, and there's never really a "huge" arc. Sort of like early DS9, but like with even lower stakes, and it's mostly about the cast interactions and jooookes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pick posted:

I think it would be fun to have a Star Trek series written by one of those comedy teams who did Parks & Rec and etc, and there's never really a "huge" arc. Sort of like early DS9, but like with even lower stakes, and it's mostly about the cast interactions and jooookes.

And let the folks who made "The Mick" take a run at a show about a Klingon crew.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

This is called The Orville

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I want a Star Trek that crosses over with Power Rangers in Space, Power Rangers Lost Galaxy, Power Rangers SPD, and Power Rangers Ninja Steel, and considers them canon. I want Data explaining the properties of Ninja Steel, Worf fighting off a boarding party of Sting Wingers then bonding with the Galactabeasts, and Geordi discovering how to harness the Morphin grid in order to enhance the warp drive. Riker separating the saucer section to form Megazord. Picard tries to help Doggie Kruger reach a peace agreement with the Troobian Empire.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Well... Okay!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pick posted:

Please don't give me hopes, ideas, aspirations for star trek like this.

Don't forget that Tom Hardy already played Picard's clone.

It's like poetry, it rhymes :v:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Timby posted:

Don't forget that Tom Hardy already played Picard's clone.

It's like poetry, it rhymes :v:

:aaaaa:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

HD DAD posted:

Star Trek: Visit to a Weird Planet Revisited, Revisited.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'd be surprised if he were a main character. Stewart is getting older, and full TV season filming schedules can be intense. Bringing him in as a narrator/bookend/main character's mentor probably does make more sense.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Brawnfire posted:

Captains in Shuttles getting Earl Grey, where Picard has a different Captain from sci-fi chat with him while piloting a shuttle around.

As a fan of ComCarCof, I am behind this completely.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Epicurius posted:

I'd be surprised if he were a main character. Stewart is getting older, and full TV season filming schedules can be intense. Bringing him in as a narrator/bookend/main character's mentor probably does make more sense.

I'm imaging him like Christopher Lloyd in the back to the Future cartoon where he had a live action science experiment at the end of each episode.

I think they can limit filming requirements though if he's not on the bridge.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I don't know where this was posted on SA, but I saw this copy-pasted explanation of Star Trek 4...

quote:

It's unclear. Paramount hired JD Payne and Patrick McKay--the bobos who, with Bob Orci, wrote the original Star Trek 3 script that was so terrible it got them all fired, with Pegg then being asked to write a script and turn it in in about a month--to write Star Trek 4. Now, their Trek 3 idea was that a group of renegade, surviving Vulcans got their hands on some leftover red matter from the destruction of the Narada (I know, it got sucked into a black hole, fuckin' don't ask me), and announced their intentions to go to the remains of Vulcan and detonate the red matter, in the hopes of restoring the planet. So the Enterprise gets sent to stop them, and Kirk has this crisis of conscience after Spock tells him that depending on how much red matter there is, the detonation could conceivably wipe out their entire timeline and restore things to how they originally were before the Narada traveled through time, appeared and annihilated the Kelvin, so Kirk starts thinking, "Well, poo poo, a universe in which I knew my father might not be so bad." There's a small test detonation, the Enterprise is caught in a wave, and Kirk's father (or Shatner Kirk, both ideas were considered) appears, and Hemskirk/Shatkirk talks Pinekirk through his bullshit, Days of Future Past-style, convincing him that this timeline is its own thing and it must be allowed to continue.

So Kirk straightens his head out, they stop the renegade Vulcan superweapon, roll credits.

Like I said, this script literally got Payne, McKay and Orci--who was set to make the movie his directorial debut--all summarily fired once Paramount executives read it.

Hemsworth had confirmed as far back as, like, January 2017 that he had been sent a story pitch for Trek 4 and that he loved it, so between his connection and the return of Payne and McKay, I imagine they at least partially went back to that well.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I want them to do the CGed Data thing people keep mentioning, but I want it to be Picard downloaded into them shiny positronics instead of Brent Spiner and he (the Picard) uses his new eternal robit body to do kisses on everyone.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't know where this was posted on SA, but I saw this copy-pasted explanation of Star Trek 4...

This was me in the Greenlighted thread in CD. Did it get posted around elsewhere?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Whalley posted:

I want them to do the CGed Data thing people keep mentioning, but I want it to be Picard downloaded into them shiny positronics instead of Brent Spiner and he (the Picard) uses his new eternal robit body to do kisses on everyone.

Picard and Data on a mission. An accident occurs: Picard's memory engrams are superimposed over Data's, effectively replacing him with Picard forever. Picard guides the development of the Federation over millennia from his base at the center of the Moon.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Epicurius posted:

On the other hand, Patrick Stewart did seven years of twenty-six episode seasons, so even if he's not at his peak a ~13 episode season might be entirely doable for him.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Brawnfire posted:

Picard and Data on a mission. An accident occurs: Picard's memory engrams are superimposed over Data's, effectively replacing him with Picard forever. Picard guides the development of the Federation over millennia from his base at the center of the Moon.

PicR Dateel Olivaw?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

On the other hand, Patrick Stewart did seven years of twenty-six episode seasons, so even if he's not at his peak a ~13 episode season might be entirely doable for him.

I'm figuring it's going to be a limited one-off series running for, like, eight episodes at most.

Edit: And Stewart spent several months shooting Logan in Louisiana and New Mexico during the dead heat of summer, so it's not like the guy isn't still a trooper.

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 13, 2018

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

PicR Dateel Olivaw?

You know, how come there has never been any real adaptation of any of his Foundation, Empire, or Robot series? Now more than ever you figure someone could do a netflix or HBO series following one, or all of them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

You know, how come there has never been any real adaptation of any of his Foundation, Empire, or Robot series? Now more than ever you figure someone could do a netflix or HBO series following one, or all of them.

I keep hearing rumors about Foundation series, but they never seem to manifest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tom Guycot posted:

Apple TV announced back in April that they would be producing a Foundation series written by David Goyer, but I’m not holding my breath. It seems like Asimov properties are constantly being bought and announced and then instantly enter development hell until studios give up or eventually put out garbage like I, Robot.