Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Would strapping a dodgy battery be safer or less safe than strapping a small tank of lighter fluid? just wondering if it's a slight improvement.

E:VVVV Stands to reason, I used to have some cheapo gimmicky lighters and they just leaked out the butane overnight when they failed.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I would say that the battery is less safe, given that billions of people carry billions of lighters every day and you basically never hear about one just randomly exploding, while there are videos all over the internet of vape pens and crappy cell phones and cheap hoverboards blowing up all the time.

Like yes, people have been burned by exploding lighters, but it's almost always something like they were a welder and a bit of molten slag flew into their shirt pocket and melted through the case. Lithium batteries can go into an unstable state for a ton of different reasons and then they just blow up with no warning.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Has any one bought one of those Go Pro knock offs? They look pretty tempting when you can get one with a decent accessory kit for 40 bucks.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meskhenet posted:

I had to message one of the sellers when they missed a lego figure. Said, next tiem you order ill put that one in. I let it go as i was going to order something from them and they pulled through.

Fast forward a few months and now they keep messaging me about their new lego figures ><

Dear friend they call me, and wish me a good time.

The vincent william van gogh looks more like bob ross though.

and the gremlins look sweet >< time to cave in i guess

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr....54fc7727VGlPHP

omg the hillary clinton

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr....30b040f2IbbMKy

Ha nice, you linked green goblin instead of the hillary one, or did you?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bui...iceBeautifyAB=0

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 13, 2018

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Has any one bought one of those Go Pro knock offs? They look pretty tempting when you can get one with a decent accessory kit for 40 bucks.

it really depends on which one. The Yi stuff is great

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have the original Yi and it's great though obviously not up to today's standards. They have a newer 4K one that's pretty sweet, though it's not $40 and I doubt any of the actually good ones would be, either.

I'm sure this is true for the cheapest ones, the Yi seems to be very similar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28k7uBDojb8
vvvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 13, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I have heard that while the specs seem similar on paper, GoPro has much better firmware for their cameras than the Chinese knockoffs do. So the image is more crisp, the automatic exposure adjustment is smoother (where the knock-offs will just suddenly bang from one exposure to another as the light level changes), the color is better, the noise reduction is smarter, etc.

That said, I don't know exactly how dramatic the difference is, and it may not be something that's a big deal if you're just using it as a dash cam or whatever.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I like Eleven's authentic stubble on this figurine

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Sorry if this was covered upthread, but do these Lego knockoffs actually have tight enough manufacturing tolerances to stack up (heh) with the real deal?

I've been told that one of the reasons Lego is so expensive is because of how precisely the bricks must be manufactured.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
I've bought my son a few sets and he's had no issues with fitting. Larger sets that come without packaging (it is just a bunch of bags of pieces like a regular Lego set stuffed into the shipping box) will have missing pieces pretty frequently, though. The weirder minifigs (like wolverine/deadpool cross and other ones that you only see from china) have had issues with hands not fitting in to the arms properly or heads being hard to get on, but the normal ones have all been fine.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

DrHammond posted:

Sorry if this was covered upthread, but do these Lego knockoffs actually have tight enough manufacturing tolerances to stack up (heh) with the real deal?

The Lepin that I own does yes. If it didn't the blocks wouldn't lock with each other so no one would buy it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Even genuine Legos don't always fit together all that well nowadays.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DrHammond posted:

I've been told that one of the reasons Lego is so expensive is because of how precisely the bricks must be manufactured.

Most of the time, yes, they're fully interchangeable. I have had a few pieces that were a little tighter or looser than Legos usual tolerances, but nothing so bad that it falls apart or doesn't go together. The most off-putting thing is that the studs don't say Lego on top of them.

The knockoff Technic stuff I've bought, incidentally, is extremely well-made and completely indistinguishable from real Lego.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Original_Z posted:

DHGate is probably better for that stuff, it's a knockoff of Aliexpress and is kind of like what Aliexpress used to be like, with less concern for things like copyright or quality control.

DHGate is absolutely the place to go for knockoff designer stuff. You can find Louis Vuitton stuff if you search for 'L Brand' and Gucci is 'G Brand'. Once you find a store selling counterfeit stuff you can normally scroll through and find what you want. I've bought Louis bags and wallets and a Chanel handbag and they're all good quality. Make sure you read the reviews and check the photos as the listing photos will often obscure things like logos while the review photos aren't censored so you get a better idea of what you're buying.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
All the minifigs I've bought have been good quality. They are good as little xmas gifts. Last year, I gave out a few Bob Rosses and Trumps.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrHammond posted:

That sounds a lot like something Lego wants you to think. It not very hard to pour soft plastic into moulds

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

It's the moulds that (supposedly) cost a lot.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrHammond posted:

It's the moulds that (supposedly) cost a lot.

If you have the existing product to make a casting its very easy to make a mould. People have made good copies of much more detailed miniatures like a warhammer stuff with hardware store materials.

The base figure is always the same, and thats the only one that has to be really well made. The rest is just low batch accessory items

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

If you have the existing product to make a casting its very easy to make a mould. People have made good copies of much more detailed miniatures like a warhammer stuff with hardware store materials.

The base figure is always the same, and thats the only one that has to be really well made. The rest is just low batch accessory items

A "good copy" =/= the tolerances required for a tightly interlocking plastic brick. Peeps responding to me upthread have already reported that sometimes they'll find a knockoff brick that fits a bit loosely, and while shoddy QA on chinesium crap is to be expected, it does go to show that a brick without tight tolerance is noticeable.

When was the last time you found such a brick in an official lego set?

Okay I'm done shilling for Lego corporate now. This is all some half remembered poo poo from god-knows-what-source ages ago.

Real talk: Legos are expensive because :capitalism:

elmer chud
May 18, 2018

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

:chloe:

The very thought of trying to stuff that in my pocket...

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm a Lego man child and I have both legit Legos and knock offs. The grip of knock offs is like 90% as crisp as the real deal, but the price is like 30% for sets. Also buying individual minifigs, Lepin will save you a poo poo ton of money. A legit Heath Ledger Joker minifig will cost you like $30 from a reseller because it came in a $200 set. I'm sure you could find a Lepin one for less than a buck.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I was thinking of getting one of those tiny USB-powered swamp-coolers for road trips in our car with broken aircon, does anyone have seller recommendations or should I just roll the dice?

Also, I found this site that curates AliExpress finds. It's basically this thread but there's a Chrome-extension and less pocket-pussies, could be useful: https://thieve.co/swipes

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Flash Deal on washi tape, for those interested.

Look what I found on AliExpress
http://s.aliexpress.com/nYzUfm6b

Edit:
Whatever, Granddad :rolleyes:

Bored fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 14, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bored posted:

Edit:
Whatever, Granddad :rolleyes:

lmao what the hell

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Get me on that eastern wisdom poo poo.

Mmhhh yeah, that's good.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Bored posted:

Flash Deal on washi tape, for those interested.

Look what I found on AliExpress
http://s.aliexpress.com/nYzUfm6b

Hell yes love me some Washi tape

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

everyone in this thread needs to go to Washi Tape rehab

Anyway, back to browsing butterfly knives

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

InvisibleMonkey posted:

less pocket-pussies

Pffffff, then what is even the friggin' point then!?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
I like to think that Aliexpress sellers have realized that adding a fart puff to anything they are selling will force me to post it here.

Edit:

Bored fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 16, 2018

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

flashy_mcflash posted:

You'll have to take my patterned masking tape from my cold dead hands.

http://s.aliexpress.com/eI3mYbm

elmer chud
May 18, 2018

flashy_mcflash posted:

Anyway, back to browsing butterfly knives

Ganzo makes good, cheap out-the-side automatic knives, if you are interested.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

elmer chud posted:

Ganzo makes good, cheap out-the-side automatic knives, if you are interested.

some of them are good, dont buy the cheapest ones. They dont lock up strongly or they are really thick to make up for less than high end steel. Their mid range axis lock benchmade knock-offs are really good for the price. If you are willing to do some finishing work they are very smooth and hold an edge well.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

DrHammond posted:

A "good copy" =/= the tolerances required for a tightly interlocking plastic brick. Peeps responding to me upthread have already reported that sometimes they'll find a knockoff brick that fits a bit loosely, and while shoddy QA on chinesium crap is to be expected, it does go to show that a brick without tight tolerance is noticeable.

When was the last time you found such a brick in an official lego set?

Okay I'm done shilling for Lego corporate now. This is all some half remembered poo poo from god-knows-what-source ages ago.

Real talk: Legos are expensive because :capitalism:

whats the atomic number for chinesium

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Minus one, but that before it decays to Mercury (80), emitting Uranium (92) and Plutonium (94) in the process.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Motherfuckers just cracked free energy...

Better brush up on your Xi Thought.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

flashy_mcflash posted:

Noooo. It’s so cheap and it makes gifts look fancily wrapped and impressive even when you don’t give a poo poo.

http://s.aliexpress.com/yuEnyINf - pretty.

Bored posted:

I like to think that Aliexpress sellers have realized that adding a fart puff to anything they are selling will force me to post it here.

I wonder if they also sell those pads that stop your farts from smelling? I remember a long thread about a lactose intolerant goon who wouldn’t stop eating cheese and lots of people suggested them.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
Anybody bought towels on AE? The brand I'm looking at is iSinotex. The reviews seem fine, but the quality might not be what I'm used to from Bed Bath Beyond or even Walmart.

http://s.aliexpress.com/Mbaq6RJj

They have all sorts of fabric home goods. I want to replace my towels, sheets, the dog bed, etc. but could see myself easily spending several hundred on that in the US.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I bought my kid knock of Victoria secret towels and they were cheap hotel quality (though very pretty) so buyer beware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Anybody know where to get cheap card storage boxes? Like, those long white cardboard ones?

I don't actually collect cards, but they're perfect for shipping the things I sell on etsy, and I know there's got to be a cheaper place to get them than the local comic shop