Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Terrible Robot posted:

Hello thread, I visited the Patuxent River Naval Air Museum this weekend. I took some pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/cNzENdm

https://imgur.com/a/tDglN9j

Nice! Did you see the missile we invented to attack Stando Land?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I did, and I meant to get a picture of that adorable little turbojet but my phone battery was dead af by the time I hit the engine room, so I was focusing on the cutaways.

Luckily I have a friend who lives like 10 minutes away from the museum so I'll definitely be going back. If I lived in the area I'd volunteer as a docent/caretaker, I actually ended up answering a few people's questions about various displays while we were walking around anyway...

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I had a fun chat when I visited last year with one of the guys who was working on restoring the F-14 sim that they got from NAS Oceana after the Tomcats sundowned. It's a miserably complex piece of equipment with what has to be awful documentation, but who knows, with another decade or so they may be able to get it up and running.

We also talked some about the X-47 and its inbred spiritual successor, the MQ-25.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Not gonna lie being reminded of the existence of Grave of the Fireflies has had me emotionally off balance all day.

My deepest apologies for even bringing it up, which only happened because I had confused it for The Wind Rises.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled bimonthly Miracle Mile chat.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

My deepest apologies for even bringing it up, which only happened because I had confused it for The Wind Rises.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled bimonthly Miracle Mile chat.

Depressing documentaries that I've not heard of? I need to hear more.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://www.headlineshirts.net/space-force-t-shirt.html

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Plaid uniforms?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Seeing the X-32B outside and deteriorating like that is sad. . . even though it's putting on a brave face.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Blistex posted:

Seeing the X-32B outside and deteriorating like that is sad. . . even though it's putting on a brave face.

It's just so happy to be there, wherever it is.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Best color palate and font so far. I'm not even kidding.

Keep the six stars, too. They're classy.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Terrible Robot posted:

Hello thread, I visited the Patuxent River Naval Air Museum this weekend. I took some pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/cNzENdm

https://imgur.com/a/tDglN9j

so what is this thing?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Given all the pains to make things a certain length it’s some kind of RF emitting wizardry. I’d like to know too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TimNeilson posted:

so what is this thing?

Not a handhold, probably.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

It's what happens when you give Lockheed Martin a cost-plus contract to build a harmonica.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Looks like it's straight out of a Dr Seuss illustration, which makes it an amazing and bizarre piece of engineering.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s the chemtrail emitter.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Looks like a non-steerable, purely mechanical early attempt at phased array

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I absolutely need this on a patch.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Ah, man, Spaceballs is actually cool :smith:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Sorry to detail, but it's been bugging me recently. Were the forces stationed in West Berlin anything other than a trigger to ensure the US wouldn't just ignore Soviet aggression in Europe? I just don't see how the relatively small force in Berlin could do anything other than possibly annoy the Soviets for a day or two.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Saukkis posted:

It's been about 15 years since I saw GotF, but it didn't make me sad, it made me angry and I hate that movie. I felt the tragedy was mostly caused by the laziness and selfishness of the big brother. If I want to feel angry I'd rather watch Now and Then, Here and There.

This right here.

Prick decides that his kid sister should starve because he doesn't like the idea of joining the firefighters / getting roused at by his aunt (?) for not joining the firefighters.

TimNeilson posted:

so what is this thing?

Well, it has horns and waveguides, so I'm going with stealth VTOL USMC unmanned death ray and long-range teleporter. Make sure you know where the switch is before you start testing on the enlisted.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 13, 2018

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Don Gato posted:

Sorry to detail, but it's been bugging me recently. Were the forces stationed in West Berlin anything other than a trigger to ensure the US wouldn't just ignore Soviet aggression in Europe? I just don't see how the relatively small force in Berlin could do anything other than possibly annoy the Soviets for a day or two.

We only really know the following facts: there were 3 NATO brigades stationed in W-Berlin, one for each 'occupying' country. IIRC they were mostly leg infantry based with a smattering of mech and armor attachments. Berlin police and especially border patrol were also paramilitary to a degree. On the opposite side you had the East German 1. MSD (first mechanized division) earmarked for the 'Berlin operation' plus tons of local border guard and Soviet specialized regiments etc. The vast bulk of GDR and Soviet forces stationed in E-Germany were meant to do 'forward defense' deep into W-Germany and not bother with Berlin.

My take: everyone would have been sitting tight in and around Berlin until the nukes started flying.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Don Gato posted:

They were window dressing, proof of commitment, and support for operations taking place within a hostile theater of operations. If we decided garrisoning West Berlin wasn't worth it because it was ~too hard~, it'd encourage the Soviets to keep pressing on other fronts, both diplomatic and geographic.

Also bear in mind that the East Germans and Soviets were tenuous allies at best. Even if the metaphysical kettle could've been kept from boiling over into a global thermonuclear war, both halves of Germany were destined to become bombed out, irradiated, chemically-spoiled wastelands upon which even cockroaches couldn't flourish. Having West Berlin within the GDR's immediate sphere of influence gave them a seat - however small - at the table, and even though everyone knew it was bullshit, the Soviets couldn't out one of their 'valued allies' as an overt puppet.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

TimNeilson posted:

so what is this thing?

It’s the waveguides for the emitting part of an airborne radar off of I want to say the F-4? The entire radar is in that album, probably directly after that image. The waveguides are on the bottom underneath the dish.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Proper Kerni ng posted:

It's what happens when you give Lockheed Martin a cost-plus contract to build a harmonica.

Platystemon posted:

That’s the chemtrail emitter.

You guys crack me up.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

I know gently caress all about submarines and I'm aroused now. Help.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

JcDent posted:

I know gently caress all about submarines and I'm aroused now. Help.

http://www.hisutton.com/

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Don Gato posted:

What's been said above, and it also meant the GDR or the Soviets couldn't pull low-rent bullshit. Like sending a colonel with a couple trucks full of troops up to Rotes Rathaus Schöneberg and declaring the city re-unified under GDR control and daring someone to do something about it. Knowing there were some American soldiers in play meant that sort of nonsense was likely to go sideways before they could manage a fait accompli.

EDIT: Not that something like that was likely without NATO forces in Berlin. But having some friction made it less likely someone would have a galaxy brain moment, both because there were more obvious ways for things to go badly and because it prompted the respective governments to get serious about putting controls in place specifically to curtail galaxy brain moments.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 13, 2018

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TimNeilson posted:

so what is this thing?

Since it isn't a hand hold, it's obviously a step.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
West Berlin was also an obvious point of escalation if the US attacked Cuba.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Potato Salad posted:

Best color palate and font so far. I'm not even kidding.

Keep the six stars, too. They're classy.

They should just make one, Lone Starr.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Comrade Gorbash posted:

What's been said above, and it also meant the GDR or the Soviets couldn't pull low-rent bullshit. Like sending a colonel with a couple trucks full of troops up to Rotes Rathau and declaring the city re-unified under GDR control and daring someone to do something about it.

Given that Rotes Rathaus was (appropriately lol) in East Berlin they could do this one just fine, actually. :sun: Sure you're not thinking of Rathaus Schöneberg?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Given that Rotes Rathaus was (appropriately lol) in East Berlin they could do this one just fine, actually. :sun: Sure you're not thinking of Rathaus Schöneberg?
Shoot I got them turned around in my head.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

A.o.D. posted:

Since it isn't a hand hold, it's obviously a step.

:golfclap:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Defense Watch Watch

Irving is naturally upset that Davie shipyard got its foot in the door

I mean, it's the most ships the Government has asked for since the second world war, of Course Irving is going to build all of 'em

Davie meanwhile isn't building commercial icebreakers; it is buying commercial icebreakers and then refitting them for Canada

That's how big the need is; they are buying foreign and refitting them

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's how big the need is; they are buying foreign and refitting them

loving DO IT!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Comrade Gorbash posted:

EDIT: Not that something like that was likely without NATO forces in Berlin. But having some friction made it less likely someone would have a galaxy brain moment, both because there were more obvious ways for things to go badly and because it prompted the respective governments to get serious about putting controls in place specifically to curtail galaxy brain moments.

I think it would have been pretty trivial for the USSR to annex the rest of Berlin if there had been no or only marginal forces there. I don't think they would have had much of a problem waiting until there was some dumb pretext like some kind of social unrest where 'representatives of the people' can ask for help restoring order and conducting 'free elections', and then just rolling trucks through the gate.

Whats that? The only footage of the unrest comes from a state controlled East German media crew that happened to be on hand in West Germany when the trouble started? Well, yes it does look like just the same few dozen people walking in front of the camera over and over again but trust us, there are reports of hundreds of thousands of protesters and rioters in the streets.

A UN resolution you say? Well, of course we will take that very seriously we should definitely conduct a fact finding mission staffed equally with western and eastern personnel and a joint leadership team to get to the bottom of this.

Are you entirely forgetting the Berlin airlift where they decided they would just starve West Berlin into compliance?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Murgos posted:

Whats that? The only footage of the unrest comes from a state controlled East German media crew that happened to be on hand in West Germany when the trouble started?

Interestingly enough, I remember this being a plot point in Ralph Peters Red Army for the city of Frankfurt. I forget exact what the plan was, ordering it bombed and then blaming the Germans for it pretending its an East German city.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Murgos posted:

I think it would have been pretty trivial for the USSR to annex the rest of Berlin if there had been no or only marginal forces there. I don't think they would have had much of a problem waiting until there was some dumb pretext like some kind of social unrest where 'representatives of the people' can ask for help restoring order and conducting 'free elections', and then just rolling trucks through the gate.

Whats that? The only footage of the unrest comes from a state controlled East German media crew that happened to be on hand in West Germany when the trouble started? Well, yes it does look like just the same few dozen people walking in front of the camera over and over again but trust us, there are reports of hundreds of thousands of protesters and rioters in the streets.

A UN resolution you say? Well, of course we will take that very seriously we should definitely conduct a fact finding mission staffed equally with western and eastern personnel and a joint leadership team to get to the bottom of this.

Are you entirely forgetting the Berlin airlift where they decided they would just starve West Berlin into compliance?
No I’m not forgetting it because that wasn’t my point.

My point is that in addition to being a tripwire force, a small NATO force in Berlin is like locking the door to your house. It keeps the opposition from pulling off crap like the German capture of Fort Douaumont in WW1.

It also encourages the leadership to keep a close eye on lower ranking officers to make sure they don’t try something dumb on their own recognizance.

The leadership deciding to make a deliberate brinksmanship play or jump right to annexation is a different issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Interestingly enough, I remember this being a plot point in Ralph Peters Red Army for the city of Frankfurt. I forget exact what the plan was, ordering it bombed and then blaming the Germans for it pretending its an East German city.

Hah, but why do that when they could just bomb an East German city, though?