Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big deal
Sep 10, 2017

FFT looks great on PSX. it’s only half 3D but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I had no idea that exists - is it a full proper sequel?

I played maybe an hour of it and I couldn't tell you. It was impressive what they were able to pump out with the rudimentary game maker tool thing, but it just wasn't good to play. And it just rehashed scenes from the original game. I just had no patience for it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

lelandjs posted:

All 3D PS1 games all look like poo poo, none of the N46’s games are as good as you remember, and while Sega technically released a console I don’t know why they bothered.

The 5th gen of consoles is undeniably the worst. Everything since has either been good or managed to find a niche for itself.

Seriously a trash generation. Once 3D cards started to hit the gap between PC and consoles during those years was loving nuts, too. I remember playing the PS1 version of World Cup 98 after playing the PC version and it was like a generational gap, and this was years before the PS2 hit.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sakurazuka posted:

In general PS1 graphics have aged way better than the foggy blurry mess that most N64 games are

Yeah

They're both terrible, but the PS1 is less terrible.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, 3D came too early for consoles. Sega initially had it right with the original philosophy of the Saturn being a 2D powerhouse, while only using 3D for simpler games like arcade games.

3D graphics prior the Model 3 look like rear end.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah

I'll take Door #2

PS1's only real advantage was storage space - the age of licensed music started a generation earlier on the PlayStation side. I still remember that wack as poo poo N64 version of THPS.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Super Mario 64 is a very ugly game. God bless em they did the best they could, but it's not good to look at

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Guy Goodbody posted:

Super Mario 64 is a very ugly game. God bless em they did the best they could, but it's not good to look at

:eng99:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Visually they’ve aged terribly but I think a lot of the good N64 games play pretty good still, especially on the actual N64 controller. They always felt off on Virtual Console and I think that’s where some of the modern backlash comes from. I agree that they haven’t aged nearly as well as SNES or even NES though.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah

The Mario screenshot looks better to me.:shrug:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They both had their strengths and weaknesses, but ultimately N64 handled 3D better. Still shots of PS1 games don't show off that weird floaty effect textures have whenever the camera moves. MGS sometimes looks like card stock that's about to fall apart.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think most early 3D games on all platforms aged pretty badly in terms of looks

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

They both had their strengths and weaknesses, but ultimately N64 handled 3D better. Still shots of PS1 games don't show off that weird floaty effect textures have whenever the camera moves. MGS sometimes looks like card stock that's about to fall apart.

I love Metal Gear but I’ve always been unable to play original Solid 1 over Twin Snakes. It just looks like a hideous mess to me, especially in the scenes outside when it’s snowing.:barf:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm sorry you feel this way

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The weird thing is the Saturn did pretty well in Japan all things considered. It just didn't do well in the West which is a drat same. Bunch of awesome games for that system and emulation has finally caught up.

Also I can't loving stand the built in blur N64 games have god I hate that kind of filtering it just makes it look much worse.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah

You better get your eyes checked because Mario is the clear winner here, and not just because he's Mario.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Art direction and stuff like that can cover up a lot of technical deficiencies. That's why Wind Waker still looks like stupid kiddie poo poo for babies drat amazing today.

Super Mario 64's graphics are pretty simple, but they don't really stand out for me as much as games that tried more realistic looks, just because the tech gap was too jarring to make it work. The more cartoony/fantasy stuff like Mario, Crash, and Spyro aged a lot better for that gen.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 14, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you watch the My Life In Gaming channel on youtube, they have a few great videos about N64's overblurring and how some neat new hacks and mods have figured out ways to reduce the blur, including combining mods to have a complete removal of blur so that you get crunchy PS1 style textures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDiHgKil8AQ

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love Metal Gear but I’ve always been unable to play original Solid 1 over Twin Snakes. It just looks like a hideous mess to me, especially in the scenes outside when it’s snowing.:barf:

MGS looked okay when I played it last year, but that was on my Vita. It probably would look way worse if I threw it on my 55” HDTV.

Also, while it’s still not great, I really prefer the look of the models in MGS compared to, say, FFVII. Snake may not have eyes, but at least his body looks like a human body.

ChaseSP posted:

Also I can't loving stand the built in blur N64 games have god I hate that kind of filtering it just makes it look much worse.

Isn’t the blur because a bunch of games were coded at, like, half the resolution that the N64 actually output and they were trying to hide it?

Nevermind, I’m an idiot, the blur was there to hide the low quality of the assets/add some “anti-aliasing”. It’s a favorite strategy of Nintendo’s. I love BotW but the white fog they stuck over everything to “smooth” the graphics out annoys the crap out of me.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 14, 2018

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TheScott2K posted:

This one is frustrating because they could render the need for it moot by just letting you put your save on an sdcard and back it up yourself.

Paywalling multiplayer mid-generation
is risky as hell and the sweeteners - fulfilling an artificial need for cloud saves and a bunch of loving NES games - are not sweet enough for them to pull it off, IMO.

:chloe:

The Switch is a year and a half old, and barring some serious shakeup it'll be around in some form for the next decade or so. Sure some people are going to be unaware of the incoming subscription requirement for online play but it's a thing that has existed for well over a decade now and most people are used to it and used to it costing more than Nintendo's will.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Blur is also a way to fix jagged appearances for stuff farther way. Basically a form of antialasing afaik with some games like Quake offering a way to disable it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

lelandjs posted:

Isn’t the blur because a bunch of games were coded at, like, half the resolution that the N64 actually output and they were trying to hide it?

Texture blurring appeared to be a platform-wide thing Nintendo asked developers to do to hide the limitations of the console (texture storage limitations). On top of that there was a secondary horizontal blur effect that the N64 would apply before spitting it out to video.

The video I posted up mentions that Quake was the rare game that gave you the option to turn off all the blurring, giving you a peek into what could have been in the world of crunchy graphics on the N64

edit: look at what could have been on the N64:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 14, 2018

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah

This is a terrible example

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:thunk: which is worse, grey on grey on grey on grey on brown or the worst Mario 64 screenshot ever

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The other thing about old 3D games is that, besides the graphics sucking, for the most part the controls sucked because devs didn't know how to make good controls for 3D games for a long time.

Megaman Legends on the PS1 is actually one of the few games that aged well in terms of its graphics because it went with a very pleasing cartoony style that still looks good today. Unfortunately I hate playing it because it has tank controls on a 3rd person shooter. It doesn't even support analog sticks!

Even if you consider Metal Gear Solid's graphics ahead of their time (which they were, to be fair), the controls are hard to get back into after being so used to later game controls and how much more natural they felt.

Bucking the trend, Mario 64 actually had decent controls.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 14, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That guy's whole head could fit up Mario's nose.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Steve Yun posted:

Texture blurring appeared to be a platform-wide thing Nintendo asked developers to do to hide the limitations of the console (texture storage limitations). On top of that there was a secondary horizontal blur effect that the N64 would apply before spitting it out to video.

The video I posted up mentions that Quake was the rare game that gave you the option to turn off all the blurring, giving you a peek into what could have been in the world of crunchy graphics on the N64

I realized like, a second after I posted that I was misremembering. You put it better than I did though!

Personally I like the sharper graphics, even if they betray the overall quality of them. Maybe I’m overly sensitive to blur in games or something but it pretty much always bothers me when it shows up.

I understand why Nintendo went with the filtering in the N64–it’s not like you were getting sharp images on a CRT anyway, so might as well smooth blockiness out while you’re at it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Even if you consider Metal Gear Solid's graphics ahead of their time (which they were, to be fair), the controls are hard to get back into after being so used to later game controls and how much more natural they felt.

MGS controls are absolutely the product of a madman. I love MGS3 but holy gently caress the first 3 MGS games were clunky. MGS3 in particular was kind of a nightmare to navigate before the Subsistence revision; I don't know how I managed to play it with those fixed camera views.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

DLC Inc posted:

MGS controls are absolutely the product of a madman. I love MGS3 but holy gently caress the first 3 MGS games were clunky. MGS3 in particular was kind of a nightmare to navigate before the Subsistence revision; I don't know how I managed to play it with those fixed camera views.

I recently started a third playthrough of MGS2 after 15 years and hooooly poo poo those controls are bonkers nowadays

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Steve Yun posted:

The other thing about old 3D games is that, besides the graphics sucking, for the most part the controls sucked because devs didn't know how to make good controls for 3D games for a long time.

Megaman Legends on the PS1 is actually one of the few games that aged well in terms of its graphics because it went with a very pleasing cartoony style that still looks good today. Unfortunately I hate playing it because it has tank controls on a 3rd person shooter. It doesn't even support analog sticks!

Legends 2 has much better controls from what I remember

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn’t have any issue with MGS’ controls once I understood them. Took a little bit, though.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Policenaut posted:

Tokyo Game Show is next month and is also the first time ever that Nintendo is exhibiting at it.

Couple pages back but don't expect anything from TGS. It's their first time back, but I believe they're only doing private meetings, not an actual booth.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

lelandjs posted:

I didn’t have any issue with MGS’ controls once I understood them. Took a little bit, though.

Yeah, just think of them as a super advanced version of Pac-Man.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SeANMcBAY posted:

Holy poo poo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does Hollow Knight have an obvious point of no return? Or does it ever lock you out of stuff ? I've just unchained the Hollow Knight

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

That was one of the complaints about the soliton radar in 1, 2, and PW when you built it, that it reduced the game to looking at dots and vision cones on the radar.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Midjack posted:

That was one of the complaints about the soliton radar in 1, 2, and PW when you built it, that it reduced the game to looking at dots and vision cones on the radar.

This is why mgsv is a masterclass in stealth design. The rethinking on how cover is designed, from single foot high to camera blocking high walls, really sets it a part from all others. Just the ground zeroes initial area is better designed than the rest of the series.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Steve Yun posted:

If you watch the My Life In Gaming channel on youtube, they have a few great videos about N64's overblurring and how some neat new hacks and mods have figured out ways to reduce the blur, including combining mods to have a complete removal of blur so that you get crunchy PS1 style textures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDiHgKil8AQ

This is terrible, why would you want to do this?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

i uh, kinda prefer the blurring tbh

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does Hollow Knight have an obvious point of no return? Or does it ever lock you out of stuff ? I've just unchained the Hollow Knight

Nope! You won't ever get locked into an end game sequence at all so feel free to save as much as you want there, go do other stuff, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Legends 2 has much better controls from what I remember

Yeah it has an option for more or less modern dual analog controls using the triggers to fire

• Locked thread