Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Is there anyway to see what chocobo stats are from a covering ticket? Or does it just have the parents stats and you have to go all the way to the saucer and register your Record of loving before you can see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Saint Freak posted:

Is there anyway to see what chocobo stats are from a covering ticket? Or does it just have the parents stats and you have to go all the way to the saucer and register your Record of loving before you can see?

The chocobo's stats are a mix of the parents stats. So you'll at least know whether you got a good combination of father stats and a good combination of mother stats. Then, from there you'll see the results when you register it.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

New ninja glam :c00l:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

All signs so far point to Elidibus, if only because of Elidibus taking off his hood to show his face to Varis (4.0), people talking about Zenos still being alive (4.1), Zenos being shown alive (4.2), and then Zenos with Varis (4.3).

That said, there is no solid confirmation yet, so they could pull a bait and switch.

Lahabrea possessing Zenos's body would be a bit of a swerve, but Varis has a bit of a shortlist of people who he would be genuinely offended that Elidibus would body jack.

.... Although, it would be funny if Elidibus possessed Solus zos Galvus (Varis's grandfather and we saw Varis spitting on his grave) for nothing else but some maximum petty poo poo. "... You know all I have to do is reveal that I'm alive and I can throw your legitimacy to the throne in the air."

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

This is real good

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I regret pushing the wrong button on my keyboard, causing me to pick the nice option on the last dialogue choice.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress that loving tower, gently caress the hundred people jumping up and blocking the platforms from view, gently caress the jerkbags who thing its great to use their gobbu mount while scaling.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Hey, everybody, sorry if this isn't the best spot to ask this stuff, but I'm new to FFXIV, and while I'm enjoying it for the most part, I do have some questions.

-Is there a class trial or anything to help you figure out if a class clicks or not? The ability acquisition feels a bit sluggish, so it's hard for me to know whether being a pug/monk or lancer/dragoon or whatnot will be more my style.
-Are crafting/gathering professions worth leveling?
-What's the best way to level alt classes? Fates and Guildleves?
-Can you do a quest as one class, swap weapons, and turn it in as the other for xp?
-There's some kind of player housing?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Tashilicious posted:

gently caress that loving tower, gently caress the hundred people jumping up and blocking the platforms from view, gently caress the jerkbags who thing its great to use their gobbu mount while scaling.

I didn't use a goobbue. I did use a behemoth though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Not really, but you can switch classes freely once you hit Level 10 with your initial one.

Yes, for convenience purposes.

Palace of the Dead and Roulettes for combat classed. Leves for Crafters and Gatherers.

Yes, but only if you're at the minimum level for the quest. You can't turn in a Level 10 quest as a Level 3 Pugilist, even if you did it as a Level 10 Lancer to completion.

Yes.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
I love how the festival continues the proud tradition of dunking on male catgirls at every opportunity.

Jump puzzles can go die in a fire, though.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Is there a class trial or anything to help you figure out if a class clicks or not? The ability acquisition feels a bit sluggish, so it's hard for me to know whether being a pug/monk or lancer/dragoon or whatnot will be more my style.
Kinda. Palace of the Dead gives you XP for completing every 10 floors but also has an internal progression system specific to the class you run it as. It's faster than permanent XP and can give you an idea. However, the instance doesn't act much like other content so the value isn't the highest.

Best option imo is to say what you broadly like (ranged DPS, tanking, etc.) and how you like to play (higher APM or lower APM, burst dmg vs. steady dmg, high mobility vs. less, high skill cap vs accessible, etc.).

quote:

-Are crafting/gathering professions worth leveling?
Yes if you accept 1 of 2 possibilities:

1) To do it optimally, leveling all the crafters & gatherers is pretty much needed.
2) Done more casually, it can be fun in a zen way.

Cool thing about gathering in this game is that you only compete with your available time. Other players can't take your gathering nodes from you. It's also nice to (eventually) repair your gear anywhere, anytime, for cheap. That said, it can take a whole lot of time.

quote:

-What's the best way to level alt classes? Fates and Guildleves?
FATEs are good, but Roulettes and PotD (later Heaven on High) are much faster. GC Squadrons can be fast as well, especially for tanks. After that, regular dungeon runs from 61-70 are quite good especially for tanks & healers. Leves are best saved for crafters.

quote:

-Can you do a quest as one class, swap weapons, and turn it in as the other for xp?
As long as the 2nd class meets the required level for the quest, yes. Usually not worth it given the other leveling options.

quote:

-There's some kind of player housing?
Yes, and most of it is expensive. Housing plots are also a limited commodity - sometimes you can get lucky in between major patches, along with checking legacy housing districts when a new city's housing opens up. It's a reason to get into crafting/gathering (to make gil and to craft furnishings). Cheap options include apartments and guild housing - you only get a single room with no exterior decorating, but it's accessible and a good trial run to see if you want to do it.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

isk posted:

Best option imo is to say what you broadly like (ranged DPS, tanking, etc.) and how you like to play (higher APM or lower APM, burst dmg vs. steady dmg, high mobility vs. less, high skill cap vs accessible, etc.).

I generally prefer melee DPS, or if I play a caster I prefer a majority of my casts to be instant. I don't know what counts as a high APM class, but I think I'd like higher APM, and I definitely like having some RNG to mix up rotations. In WoW, for example, my main is a ret pally with my talents skewed towards RNG. I also dig Rogues and fire mages.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

I generally prefer melee DPS, or if I play a caster I prefer a majority of my casts to be instant. I don't know what counts as a high APM class, but I think I'd like higher APM, and I definitely like having some RNG to mix up rotations. In WoW, for example, my main is a ret pally with my talents skewed towards RNG. I also dig Rogues and fire mages.

The only real job with any hint of random is Machinist, which to unlock you need to be in Heavensward the first expansion.
There is Ninja and Black Mage for your other 2 choices though.
There isn’t a talent tree as in WoW so everybody plays every job exactly the same.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

isk posted:

Kinda. Palace of the Dead gives you XP for completing every 10 floors but also has an internal progression system specific to the class you run it as. It's faster than permanent XP and can give you an idea. However, the instance doesn't act much like other content so the value isn't the highest.
PotD is an OK measure but only at the boss floor. Everywhere else, stuff dies too quickly, so classes with slow startup get screwed (i.e. monk sits at zero stacks forever), and classes with front-loaded damage feel godly (i.e. black mage 2-shots everything and recharge MP between pulls).

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

If you like hitting lots of buttons, responding to random procs, and keeping track of 4 things at once, and you don't like cast bars, play bard.

Melee: Ninja is fairly forgiving and has a shorter GCD with Huton, ninjutsu has a bit of a learning curve. Monk has positional bonuses on every attack and requires moving around a lot, starts up slow, and is the only class without a ranged attack. Samurai is fairly straightforward until 62 and then it gets kind hectic. Dragoon is probably the most straightforward melee.

Black mage does ridiculous damage under optimal conditions, but gets screwed over the most by being forced to move by far. Red mage has short cast times, half of them are instant, and is pretty easy to play. It's also great for carrying bad players through alliance raids because it can insta-rez without swiftcast. Summoner plays weird and has the simplest rotation (mostly spamming Ruin), does OK when forced to move, and gets screwed the most if you die mid-fight. Summoner also shares XP with Scholar so you get two classes at once.

Machinist has a random proc on its basic rotation, but its big gimmick is optimally blowing all of your cooldowns during Wildfire.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 14, 2018

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
There's only two jumps that are unforgivably awful, but I still never want to do this again.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm glad there's no achievement or anything and I'm free to spend the duration of the event catching up instead of jumping up a stupid tower.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I haven't seen the event yet, can you use shukuchi in place of jumps? I like jumping puzzles in gw2 but fxiv jumps just don't feel as controlled.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Eorzean Nimble Warrior is a good title, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I heard people saying that you could use Shukuchi, yes.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I heard people saying that you could use Shukuchi, yes.

Yeah, there's one Shukuchi jump that also works with Ley Lines and Between the Lines.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Eureka was spearheaded by Nobuaki Komoto, right? The same guy behind Diadem and the original director of 1.0 before he got shoved to the side for being terrible?

... Why do they keep giving him important content?! He's poo poo at it. Holy gently caress, Pagos is SO BAD. It has no redeeming qualities. This was supposed to be soloable content that could also be done to get SB's relics. Instead, it's poo poo. Complete and utter poo poo.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Grimace posted:

...the original director of 1.0 before he got shoved to the side for being terrible?

That explains a lot.

An open world group monster hunting area would be a fun thing to do if it was done right, Eureka hasn't been that at all. Giving it its own level system, complete with deleveling, which hasn't been a thing in MMOs for over a decade, was the base mistake everything else has been built upon. I thought ARR and HW relics were a bit too grindy in places and maybe aside from books, Eureka has them beat.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

The Grimace posted:

Eureka was spearheaded by Nobuaki Komoto, right? The same guy behind Diadem and the original director of 1.0 before he got shoved to the side for being terrible?

... Why do they keep giving him important content?! He's poo poo at it. Holy gently caress, Pagos is SO BAD. It has no redeeming qualities. This was supposed to be soloable content that could also be done to get SB's relics. Instead, it's poo poo. Complete and utter poo poo.
I want to believe they let him do Eureka, so they can finally fire him and they will hotfix Eureka next week. Pagos will be turned into Ishgardian housing district.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

super sweet best pal posted:

That explains a lot.

An open world group monster hunting area would be a fun thing to do if it was done right, Eureka hasn't been that at all. Giving it its own level system, complete with deleveling, which hasn't been a thing in MMOs for over a decade, was the base mistake everything else has been built upon. I thought ARR and HW relics were a bit too grindy in places and maybe aside from books, Eureka has them beat.

I mean, this is basically what A/S rank hunting is. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I got caught up in it during the HW relic grind back in the day and it's entertaining enough. At least on Adamantoise there's a nice community for it so I ended up meeting a lot of people too.

Pagos is bad enough that it finally got me to buy a Switch, which I'd been waffling on for nearly a year at this point.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Grimace posted:

And before that he was a director for FFXI, which is why everything he touches feels like a bad callback to the mechanics of MMOs from nearly two decades ago.

I'm pretty sure he keeps getting major projects because he's one of the most senior people on the team and pushback from the community hasn't been nearly strong enough to offset that. Maybe Pagos will finally be the breaking point if the numbers bear out that nobody is bothering to do it.

Then again, multiple versions of Diadem happened and that wasn't enough to make them rethink their approach.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
I figure that Eureka has one job in SE’s view, and that’s giving the people who won’t shut up about XI something to do. In that regard, it seems to have worked okay, at the cost of pissing off every normal-ish person who just wants a glowy sword.

More importantly, my excal alt is a ghost cat now.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
The ff1/1.0 guy knows the truth behind the dark pacts yoship made with ruinous powers to remake this game in only a year so yoship cannot get rid of him.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

The ff1/1.0 guy knows the truth behind the dark pacts yoship made with ruinous powers to remake this game in only a year so yoship cannot get rid of him.

this is almost certainly the correct answer

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
*Regarding "The Forbidden Land, Eureka Pagos", adjustments will continue to be implemented in gradual order, through next week and beyond.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

*Regarding "The Forbidden Land, Eureka Pagos", adjustments will continue to be implemented in gradual order, through next week and beyond.

how long does it take to select the eureka folder and click "delete"

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

That's so wishy-washy of them to say it that way, though. They don't have the community reps come out and say anything on the forums or anywhere they would have direct communication. Instead, they put it in the hotfix explanation, something fewer people are likely to respond to. And that's also a very non-committal way to say, "we may or may not do anything."

It's such BS after they actively made Pagos purposely less user friendly than Anemos despite previous promises they have made. This comment only serves as a cheap band-aid to a wound they're self inflicting. It's so stupid.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Eureka is just way too much of a slog for anyone that doesn't play this game like 4 hours a day to bother with. I know Relics in general take way too much time, but the fact that you have to level up an entirely different leveling system which takes for loving ever before you can even start on your relic this time has basically made it unobtainable for me. I think I've spent ~8 hours or so in Eureka and I'm level 5 I think? gently caress that.

My only consolation is that so far the relics are ugly so I don't really care, but I know they'll probably eventually look cool and I'll be sad. I'm just slowly working on a HW relic to get my glow fix.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Gradual adjustments week-by-week implies that they think that Pagos is almost perfect, it just needs a little tweaking.

Meanwhile, I consider Pagos so awful that I have no desire to go back even now that my weekly challenge log refreshed. I guess my whole plan of slowly leveling off the challenge log was really just an excuse to procrastinate.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

At bare minimum Pagos should have started out more like Anemos post-challenge log, how they managed to make it even worse than launch Anemos instead is baffling

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pagos being our time filler content has just encouraged me to play No Man's Sky more. That game can be grindy as gently caress but at least you aren't standing still punching the same thing over and over forever (unless you really want to).

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I resumed doing my challenge log EXP right after servers went up again, and to my surprise it feels like the log gives less EXP at 23 than it did as a fresh 20. That's likely because I was soloing enemies lower level than me that didn't have chains, but man, it's just one thing after another with this content.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
They keep trying takes on this awful idea, and at this point I'm convinced they have reason to believe that there is a significant group of FFXI player that exists and they'd like to tempt over to the new game.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

If you like hitting lots of buttons, responding to random procs, and keeping track of 4 things at once, and you don't like cast bars, play bard.

Melee: Ninja is fairly forgiving and has a shorter GCD with Huton, ninjutsu has a bit of a learning curve. Monk has positional bonuses on every attack and requires moving around a lot, starts up slow, and is the only class without a ranged attack. Samurai is fairly straightforward until 62 and then it gets kind hectic. Dragoon is probably the most straightforward melee.

Black mage does ridiculous damage under optimal conditions, but gets screwed over the most by being forced to move by far. Red mage has short cast times, half of them are instant, and is pretty easy to play. It's also great for carrying bad players through alliance raids because it can insta-rez without swiftcast. Summoner plays weird and has the simplest rotation (mostly spamming Ruin), does OK when forced to move, and gets screwed the most if you die mid-fight. Summoner also shares XP with Scholar so you get two classes at once.

Machinist has a random proc on its basic rotation, but its big gimmick is optimally blowing all of your cooldowns during Wildfire.

Thanks for the info, everyone! OneEightHundred, your post was especially helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Is there some best in slot gear that Pagos gives or something? Why do you all do this thing that you hate so much?