Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah the FAAB is you get $100 a year. You spend it for free agents, including in the upcoming free agent draft, and we decided there needed to be some kind of cost for making a taxi squad steal attempt even if it is blocked, to discourage just freely spamming them and effectively rendering the taxi squads useless.

So making a taxi squad claim costs you $5 of your FAAB dollars.

E. You spend FAAB dollars to bid on players. The winning bid becomes that player's salary. You have a $250 salary cap, all your player's salaries must be under that amount.

Yup, among other considerations. Of course, you don't get to keep FAAB you never spend, but I think a lot of owners try to keep a good FAAB reserve all year, just in case. I don't think we've had a situation where nobody has more than $30 left, and if at least one player still has a good reserve, trying to drop the salary of your star player is pretty risky.

So if I have $8 cap and $100 Monopoly money I can still bid $80 on Gronk and he will make my roster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Alfalfa posted:

Huh?

So I can max out my cap with rookies and FA and still grab waivers with some side bank account?

Sorry this confuses me why FA get Monopoly money and rostered guys and draft picks have real cash and cap.

Your cap cant be busted. Ever.

If you max it with rooks and whatnot that's fine. Its gonna be a bitch to draft FA with a full cap though.

It's kind of the FA period in the real nfl. Blow real life dollars to get big name FA. Then the rookie draft happens with smaller/taxi dollars depending on their draft order.

Also we do the drafts in reverse and I am still salty apparently.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

So if I have $8 cap and $100 Monopoly money I can still bid $80 on Gronk and he will make my roster?

No. But you could clear cap space by dropping or trading away players! And then you can spend more of the FAAB dollars you have lying around.

One thing a lot of owners do is cycle through temporary players. You might pick up a random "deep gamble" player every week, and then drop him within a few days. You'll churn through your FAAB dollars that way, while constantly staying under your cap space.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Alfalfa posted:

There are two limits always in effect:

1) cap cannot exceed $250
2) in any given cap-year, you can't spend more than $100 in faab, including the auction.

So of your cap is $242, your max bid is $8 without dropping.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Pretty sure leper and I made that abundantly clear by picking and choosing parts from 6 different posts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zauper posted:

There are two limits always in effect:

1) cap cannot exceed $250
2) in any given cap-year, you can't spend more than $100 in faab, including the auction.

So of your cap is $242, your max bid is $8 without dropping.

Except we do allow you to trade or grab "directly to your IR" which costs half the salary in cap. So in theory if you had $8 of cap space free, you could bid as much as $16 for that man, providing you immediately moved him to your IR.

And just to be clear: your cap is always $250. If the sum of your salaries - your "cap hit" - is $242, then you still have $8 remaining, and you can roster additional players costing up to $8, whether by getting them via auction, or trading for them, etc. Or double that for a player going straight to IR; and a player going onto your taxi squad counts as $0 salary against your total.

We have the league MFL settings set to a "soft cap" which means the software generally doesn't actively prevent you from doing things that bust your cap. You're expected to be aware of your cap, and not blow through it intentionally or accidentally. Usually if you accidentally blow your cap and someone notices, we're just going to roll back that transaction, but the league rules cover situations where you've unfairly benefited.

The key concepts are:

-The salary cap is just a maximum amount of players' salaries you can have on your team at a time
-Salaries are set by draft position for rookies, and by winning bid amounts in all other cases
-Salaries of players still on rosters after the end of the season go up by 10% or $1, whichever is lower
-You get $100 of pretend fake moneys to spend each year. That money is spent when your bid is the winning bid for a player at auction, including both the FA auction at season opening, and the biweekly free agent periods
-NEW FOR THIS YEAR attempting to steal a taxi squad player also costs you $5 of your remaining FAAB money.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 14, 2018

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Sorry I know the goon way is to make things as complicated as possible then justify it as being simple, but why not just make your FAAB and FA budget what is left of the cap?

I don’t get what having FAAB dollars are if I can’t spend them because I only have x amount of cap.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
My guess is that from an implementation standpoint it actually is easier to have a flat $100 FAAB budget than to have to keep updating everyone's budgets to reflect their cap space

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

My guess is that from an implementation standpoint it actually is easier to have a flat $100 FAAB budget than to have to keep updating everyone's budgets to reflect their cap space

I dunno. Just making a hard cap once drafts start seems like an easier choice.

Then MFL enforces your cap.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qBQSgia

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
Roquan!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Alfalfa posted:

Sorry I know the goon way is to make things as complicated as possible then justify it as being simple, but why not just make your FAAB and FA budget what is left of the cap?

I don’t get what having FAAB dollars are if I can’t spend them because I only have x amount of cap.

Because it limits the amount of transactions you can make during the season. Theoretically. Say you have $10 in cap room but you keep picking up and dropping different players weekly to fill that space you will end up running out of FAAB bucks by week 10 or 11.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

I dunno. Just making a hard cap once drafts start seems like an easier choice.

Then MFL enforces your cap.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qBQSgia

Yeah your FAAB dollars represent your total buying power. Your salary cap represents the maximum value of the team. These are fundamentally different things.

I think you are suggesting that each owner's total FAAB for the season be set at the same value as the room they have under the cap, at the start of the season. The consequence of such an arrangement would be that nobody should ever bother to drop a player throughout the season, because the value of that player would be unrecoverable. If you entered the season with only $10 of cap space (and therefore maximum bidding for the whole season), you could not improve your ability to get free agents by dropping players to increase your cap space by another $10, because you only have $10 of FAAB dollars to spend anyway.

Or, perhaps reading it another way, you're proposing that owners should have unlimited buying power, able to bid any amount at all on any player, provided they still have cap space. This would allow any owner with a particularly cheap team (say, Straight Bass Homie, who only has $123 total salary of his players) to outbid everyone else on any player, and do so repeatedly if they are willing to drop that player later. Say his favorite RB is out for a one-week light concussion type thing; he can bid $125 on the best RB available, start him for one week, and then drop him again, and now he's got his $125 of cap space back and can do the same thing next week? For the whole season?

FAAB budget limits your ability to stream players throughout the season. Salary cap limits your ability to roster high-cost players. I assure you this is how most dynasty leagues operate.

e. as an aside, the image you linked to has bigger numbers, but is otherwise not showing something different from how our league operates.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 14, 2018

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Some leagues operate with cap hits from drops instead. But that doesn't work well in a non contract league.

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
So I have to pay $5 to get rid of this festering turd that is my forum avatar?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

I think maybe I get it.

For example if I have $60 in cap space, if i bid $60 on Gronk and win, that $60 comes out of my $100 FAAB budget leaving $40.

But since I have zero cap space I can’t use that $40 anyways.

Then if I drop a $2.00 player, then bid $200, and win on another player, my cap is again full, but I only have $38 to work with rest of season?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Alfalfa posted:

Then if I drop a $2.00 player, then bid $2, and win on another player, my cap is again full, but I only have $38 to work with rest of season?

Corrected, but yes. You cant bid $200 when you only have $40 in FAAB.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

say, Straight Bass Homie, who only has $123 total salary of his players

goddamn right i do

hope y'all ready for a fun FA auction

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

You done the math on this yet?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

goddamn right i do

Go make your draft pick

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

You done the math on this yet?

i don't need to do math because as you can see i know exactly how much cap space i have because i already accounted for rookie dollars spent

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

i don't need to do math because as you can see i know exactly how much cap space i have because i already accounted for rookie dollars spent

Uh-huh. That's true. Good on you for recognizing it.

Now about the fact you have 127 cap space and only 100 to spend...

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

trade me a WR you coward

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
You have two offers waiting.

Lets talk!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'm also done picking so you can set me to skip

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
K, draft is just alfalfa.

If you just post here I can throw guys on your roster and save 15 minutes, skip, 15 minutes, skip, 15 minutes, skip....

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Jaylen Samuels
Deon Cain
Arden Key

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I think thats done.

Now I need to figure out how the gently caress to turn off the draft in MFL.

It's not any of the 4 "draft options" in the commish setup.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

I think thats done.

Now I need to figure out how the gently caress to turn off the draft in MFL.

It's not any of the 4 "draft options" in the commish setup.

just mash "skip draft pick" a bunch of times till we get to the end.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
You gotta be loving kidding me.

Done.

Now do we archive it?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I cut rosters back down, removed that extra bench slot.

Not sure if we'll need it for the FA draft.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

You gotta be loving kidding me.

Done.

Now do we archive it?

I don't know what the archive function does, really.

We do need to see if the system will let us set up another draft, this time the auction draft.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Wrong thread.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 15, 2018

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Wrong thread I think, but yes.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I need to pay 2019 dues after trading futures. I don't think I've done that yet even though I traded a 2019 4th already. Leper, can you send me a paypal request at akickassduke @ gmail unless I'm an idiot and already paid you without knowing

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sure thing. It's better if you just send money to me at my user name at gmail dot com; if I invoice you I think paypal is less likely to consider it a gift and I'll pay a fee?

e. Oh I see, no I can just make a request without an invoice, I haven't done that before.

request sent

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 15, 2018

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
The FA draft is Thursday, August 30th at 9pm EST, 6pm west coasty time.

Right?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeap

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I think I'm an idiot but I was looking for a readout of our scoring settings on MFL but couldn't find the page

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I think I'm an idiot but I was looking for a readout of our scoring settings on MFL but couldn't find the page

Reports -> League Rules -> Scoring

http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2018/options?L=79286&O=09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Received dues from Teemu and Spermy for 2019.