Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Rules against it would impede money from lining pockets, so probably not ,no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Sounds like BLJ found a lovely anti-foreigner rear end in a top hat to pen a paper about how immigrants and browns = bad.

No they didnt

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bea Nanner posted:

Are there any rules against this?

There are, apparently the bids aren't supposed to do anything related to the other bids, they're just supposed to make their case on their own merits. BBC was saying that if an investigation proved the allegations were true, it would be grounds to strip the World Cup from Qatar.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

vyelkin posted:

BBC was saying that if an investigation proved the allegations were true, it would be grounds to strip the World Cup from Qatar.

If the bribes, working conditions, environmental concerns, and evidence of slave labor weren’t enough to strip them of the World Cup this won’t be either.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

GutBomb posted:

If the bribes, working conditions, environmental concerns, and evidence of slave labor weren’t enough to strip them of the World Cup this won’t be either.

You have to go by FIFA's rules. FIFA doesn't give a poo poo about the environment or slave labour. Proof of bribes would have been enough, but FIFA did an internal investigation led by that one American lawyer guy and he claimed not to find any evidence of wrongdoing (lol).

Odds are that if FIFA is pressured into doing an investigation over this, they also will find no evidence of wrongdoing. However, the situation has changed since last time around, and maybe Infantino is looking for an excuse to gently caress over Qatar, maybe to suck up to the Saudis and the US, maybe to open up a new round of fast-paced bribery as countries try to replace Qatar at the last minute. Also, it was pretty obvious they wouldn't find evidence of bribes because a bribe is a two-way street: to prove Qatar got the bid through bribery, you have to also prove members of FIFA took bribes, and so obviously FIFA wouldn't find that. But in this case the accusation is that Qatar was using outside agents to manipulate opinion, rather than working within FIFA, so theoretically they could find Qatar at fault without blaming anyone internally.

In short, FIFA is an unpredictable ride that offers a thrill every minute, so who the hell knows what might happen.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Infantino could also tie wrong-doing to old political rivals as a sham clear-out, too.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
If they take the tournament away from Qatar, Qatar is going to take down the whole thing with them. The rot goes deep on this one and FIFA is just going to have to ride it out.

Also, FIFA rules are that if a host country can no longer host, it goes back to the most recent host. Russia 2022 baby.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Kurtofan posted:

This is some spy movie stuff

Licence To Shill

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Reprisal posted:

Infantino could also tie wrong-doing to old political rivals as a sham clear-out, too.

this would own lol. proper dictator stuff

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The blood of thousands already went into Qatar's bid, lol if that was for nothing. I was talking to a soccer player (plays in a local league there or something) and he was going on about the stadiums actually working in re to AC or something. Color me skeptical.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
i would be fine with russia 2018 being the last world cup ever

qsvui fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 31, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

qsvui posted:

i would be fine with the russia 2018 being the last world cup ever

I'd just skip to the cumcup

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

vyelkin posted:

You have to go by FIFA's rules. FIFA doesn't give a poo poo about the environment or slave labour. Proof of bribes would have been enough, but FIFA did an internal investigation led by that one American lawyer guy and he claimed not to find any evidence of wrongdoing (lol).

Isn't that not the case at all? Michael Garcia did this:

quote:

Chairman of the investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee of FIFA (2012–2014)
Main article: Garcia Report
On July 17, 2012, in the wake of announced anti-corruption reforms by Sepp Blatter, the President of the world association football governing body FIFA,[19] the organization appointed Garcia as the chairman of the investigative chamber of FIFA Ethics Committee, while German judge Hans-Joachim Eckert was appointed as the chairman of the Ethics Committee's adjudication chamber.[20]

In August 2012, Garcia declared his intention to investigate the bidding process and decision to respectively award the right to host the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cup to Russia and Qatar by the FIFA Executive Committee.[21] Garcia delivered his consequent 350-page report in September 2014, and Eckert subsequently announced that it would not be made public for legal reasons.[22]

On November 13, 2014, Eckert released a 42-page summary of his findings after reviewing Garcia's report. The summary cleared both Russia and Qatar of any wrongdoing during the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups,[23] leaving Russia and Qatar free to stage their respective World Cups.[24]

FIFA welcomed "the fact that a degree of closure has been reached," while the Associated Press wrote that the Eckert summary "was denounced by critics as a whitewash."[24] Hours after the Eckert summary was released, Garcia himself criticized it for being "materially incomplete" with "erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions," while declaring his intention to appeal to FIFA's Appeal Committee.[23] On December 16, 2014, FIFA's Appeal Committee dismissed Garcia's appeal against the Eckert summary as "not admissible." FIFA also stated that Eckert's summary was "neither legally binding nor appealable."[25] A day later, Garcia resigned from his role as FIFA ethics investigator in protest of FIFA's conduct, citing a "lack of leadership" and lost confidence in the independence of Eckert from FIFA.[26]

In June 2015, Swiss authorities said the report was of little value.[27]

Bolding mine. It was Hans-Joachim Eckert who released the summary that cleared of wrong-doing and then wouldn't release it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Isn't that not the case at all? Michael Garcia did this:

Bolding mine. It was Hans-Joachim Eckert who released the summary that cleared of wrong-doing and then wouldn't release it.

Oh sorry let me apologize for impugning the honour of the man who found loads of evidence of FIFA bribes that could have ruined the organization and then did nothing about it

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

vyelkin posted:

Oh sorry let me apologize for impugning the honour of the man who found loads of evidence of FIFA bribes that could have ruined the organization and then did nothing about it

quote:

FIFA welcomed "the fact that a degree of closure has been reached," while the Associated Press wrote that the Eckert summary "was denounced by critics as a whitewash."[24] Hours after the Eckert summary was released, Garcia himself criticized it for being "materially incomplete" with "erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions," while declaring his intention to appeal to FIFA's Appeal Committee.[23] On December 16, 2014, FIFA's Appeal Committee dismissed Garcia's appeal against the Eckert summary as "not admissible." FIFA also stated that Eckert's summary was "neither legally binding nor appealable."[25] A day later, Garcia resigned from his role as FIFA ethics investigator in protest of FIFA's conduct, citing a "lack of leadership" and lost confidence in the independence of Eckert from FIFA.[26]

I urge you to read that again.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

vyelkin posted:

Odds are that if FIFA is pressured into doing an investigation over this, they also will find no evidence of wrongdoing. However, the situation has changed since last time around, and maybe Infantino is looking for an excuse to gently caress over Qatar, maybe to suck up to the Saudis and the US, maybe to open up a new round of fast-paced bribery as countries try to replace Qatar at the last minute.

outraged people get to sneer at Qatar and feel good about themselves, and bribe-takers get another chance to call everybody on their bribe rolodex. this, my friends, is what we call a "win win"

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

qsvui posted:

Well then how's it going to come home?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

TheBigAristotle posted:

Well then how's it going to come home?

We joke, but the fact that the British press keeps publishing these stories and embarrassing FIFA is the reason why England is never going to get the tournament again.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I urge you to read that again.

Oh, I read it. It says he found 350 pages' worth of bribes and then when FIFA decided not to air his report exposing them all as horribly corrupt he appealed within FIFA, then when they predictably said no again he threw his hands in the air, said "oh well I guess that's that" and went home and never showed the evidence to anyone outside FIFA. Great job dude.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

qsvui posted:

same

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Pook Good Mook posted:

We joke, but the fact that the British press keeps publishing these stories and embarrassing FIFA is the reason why England is never going to get the tournament again.

Close, but it’s actually oil money and massive corruption.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
https://twitter.com/kenbensinger/status/1029149165228457984

lol

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

FIFA owns

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

lol

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

lmao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Last week I was trying to explain to a friend of mine how incredibly hosed up FIFA was. This is perfect.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Just burn it to the ground.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao FIFA

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

:thunk:

Well, if corruption is ok now, I guess we need a new thread title

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

FIFA ethics code and Infantino Megathread

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

jesus christ

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

:hmmyes:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
This thread is just coming up to 5 years, so 'corruption' should probably be redacted from the thread title.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

FIFA [redacted] and [redacted] megathread [READ THE OP, OP]

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Remember when people thought the mighty Americans would use RICO to take down FIFA?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Simone Poodoin posted:

Remember when people thought the mighty Americans would use RICO to take down FIFA?

That was before CUM 2026

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Simone Poodoin posted:

That was very funny

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
They did expose a cat loving santa lookalike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

They did expose a cat loving santa lookalike

and killed him