Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Kith posted:

Hey guys take a look at this here effortpost I made about Tychus. I'll be doing similar review/reworks for Gazlowe and Kerrigan after I (finally) finish the art requests that I got from this thread. If anyone is interested in scoping a rough draft and providing preliminary feedback, shoot me a PM or something.

Those sounds like fun changes for tychus. He's never felt quite right to me after they nerfed him hard when he was meta.

I dont like the lose of baseline knockback on the grenade though. The knockback makes the grenade fun to use rather than just a generic nuke you toss out on cooldown. I think I'd rather see grenade damage lowered or something and keep the baseline knockback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Pulled this from yesterday's Gazlowe game, just an absurd amount of knockback on Blaze. Junk's mine, then Yrel hammer, then Stukov arm. https://clips.twitch.tv/HeadstrongHeartlessLapwingVoteYea

extremely "MAKE HIM TASTE THE CURB, HE WANTS TO TASTE THE CURB" feelings on this play

Nybble fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 13, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Nybble posted:

Pulled this from yesterday's Gazlowe game, just an absurd amount of knockback on Blaze. Junk's mine, then Yrel hammer, then Stukov arm. https://clips.twitch.tv/HeadstrongHeartlessLapwingVoteYea

That was a magnificent play. Every time it looked like he was going to escape, someone else knocked him back again.

And they did it without breaking the wall, too.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Those sounds like fun changes for tychus. He's never felt quite right to me after they nerfed him hard when he was meta.

I dont like the lose of baseline knockback on the grenade though. The knockback makes the grenade fun to use rather than just a generic nuke you toss out on cooldown. I think I'd rather see grenade damage lowered or something and keep the baseline knockback.

:yeah: Grenade knockback is too good to give up and it's a defined part of the Tychus experience at the moment, at least. Hitting a hero back into your firing line and chasing them with Overkill once they run is almost as satisfying as hitting the big red button

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kyrosiris posted:

Glossing over literally everything else, Deal With It is brilliantly named and iconed, given the effect.

I'm glad you noticed, that's the one I put the most work into :)

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Thank you!

quote:

Bogart posted:

:yeah: Grenade knockback is too good to give up and it's a defined part of the Tychus experience at the moment, at least. Hitting a hero back into your firing line and chasing them with Overkill once they run is almost as satisfying as hitting the big red button

That's why I put in Concussive Blast at Level 1. Run and Gun/Dash is already getting a pretty big buff by having its Mana Cost go from 50 to 25, something that effectively replaces Tychus' current Level 1 mobility talents as a baseline. If you want the knockback on the grenade, just take it as a talent.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You get so defensive about your reworks, it makes discussing them really unpleasant.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
That wasn't rude at all though?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

No Wave posted:

You get so defensive about your reworks, it makes discussing them really unpleasant.

Nothing about that was defensive, you weirdo

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

No Wave posted:

Explaining a design decision is not getting defensive. Getting defensive would be saying that Orthodox Rabbit and Bogart are wrong for wanting to keep Frag Grenade's knockback as a baseline (which they're not). It's been a part of Tychus' kit since inception, so I can totally understand the viewpoint of wanting to keep it for tradition/gamefeel reasons. I just feel that, in the context of all of the other changes made in the rework to modernize Tychus' mechanics, keeping it as a baseline is giving Tychus too many nice things for free. At the same time, I also recognize that there are plenty of people who like it, so I kept it around as an option at Level 1, something I pointed that out not because I was upset, but because there have been a lot of people from my initial feedback sessions that missed it and I wanted to make sure they knew.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Kith posted:

That's why I put in Concussive Blast at Level 1. Run and Gun/Dash is already getting a pretty big buff by having its Mana Cost go from 50 to 25, something that effectively replaces Tychus' current Level 1 mobility talents as a baseline. If you want the knockback on the grenade, just take it as a talent.

From a fun perspective I think the grenade losing base-line knockback would really remove grenade as an interesting skill to use if you ended up taking a different talent at 1. It would feel pretty unsatisfying to use imo if you didn't take the knockback talent. Putting the knockback on a talent feels like one of those things months later they end up baking in because everyone just picked it anyways.

To me at least it would be like putting the knockback on Jimmy's Q into a talent but buffing the damage. Sure it'd do more damage but you're moving the interesting part of the skill to a talent.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Oh man remember when tychus's auto attacks had a spinup and run+gun's main gimmick was that it spun up your minigun. I remember him feeling 10 times better after they changed him to jsut have a flat attack speed.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, but it was funny taking the AA talents and getting it charged up just to see the numbers fly out.

Besides, if you were ever fighting the enemy team, you would just Odin for 3 healthbars anyway.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

From a fun perspective I think the grenade losing base-line knockback would really remove grenade as an interesting skill to use if you ended up taking a different talent at 1. It would feel pretty unsatisfying to use imo if you didn't take the knockback talent. Putting the knockback on a talent feels like one of those things months later they end up baking in because everyone just picked it anyways.
I disagree about the "eventually baking in because everyone takes it" thing, especially since I put Bob and Weave at Level 1, but I do see where you're coming from about it feeling unsatisfying. How would you feel about it if the Grenade talent at Level 1 was increasing the knockback distance in addition to making the knockback affect Tychus as well?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

Nothing about that was defensive, you weirdo

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Kith posted:

I disagree about the "eventually baking in because everyone takes it" thing, especially since I put Bob and Weave at Level 1, but I do see where you're coming from about it feeling unsatisfying. How would you feel about it if the Grenade talent at Level 1 was increasing the knockback distance in addition to making the knockback affect Tychus as well?

It think maybe its just that with your ideas the grenade as is without talents is a generic nuke you throw on cooldown without any real thought. So you're losing some of the interesting interactivity with one of his skills before your rework vs afterwards + needing to take a talent (even if overall the rework sounds really interesting). So maybe a knockback base-line isn't required, but something baked in baseline that gives the skill some kind of interesting mechanic without needing to take talents.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Keep the knockback and make the damage bonus the level 1 talent seems like a really easy solution.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Ort posted:

Keep the knockback and make the damage bonus the level 1 talent seems like a really easy solution.

Level 1 talents are mobility-themed, so that's not a solution at all.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

It think maybe its just that with your ideas the grenade as is without talents is a generic nuke you throw on cooldown without any real thought. So you're losing some of the interesting interactivity with one of his skills before your rework vs afterwards + needing to take a talent (even if overall the rework sounds really interesting). So maybe a knockback base-line isn't required, but something baked in baseline that gives the skill some kind of interesting mechanic without needing to take talents.

I'll just put it back and make the Concussive Blast talent increase the knockback and have it affect Tychus as well.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Kith posted:

I'll just put it back and make the Concussive Blast talent increase the knockback and have it affect Tychus as well.

I'm not trying to mess with your rework! Just speaking personally, I know I'd be bummed if grenade lost knockback (or some other kind of interaction) as a baseline thing without talents.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I'm not trying to mess with your rework! Just speaking personally, I know I'd be bummed if grenade lost knockback (or some other kind of interaction) as a baseline thing without talents.

Nah man, I posted it here (and elsewhere) because I wanted feedback. I got feedback, and the overwhelming majority was "please keep the knockback on the grenade", so I'm gonna change it. The arguments you made helped me reach that conclusion.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Enemies hit with the grenade now have a spin-up on their auto attacks for the next 10 seconds

Lets see how they like it

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

An Attack Speed reduction that weakened with each Basic Attack would be a really interesting mechanic. It'd be perfect for a Zerg or Undead character.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you make the grenade affect Tychus for movement, it could be used as a last-ditch juke. Could even go with it allowing him to dispel roots / slows on himself with a self-cast, but that might be a little op.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Bogart posted:

If you make the grenade affect Tychus for movement, it could be used as a last-ditch juke. Could even go with it allowing him to dispel roots / slows on himself with a self-cast, but that might be a little op.

What about a small enemy knockback + lesser self cleanse that removes root/slow effects? The dude is already plenty immobile.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Having a weaker baseline knockback that talents into a larger enemy and small self knockback would add some strategy to him. Having full on both would be a little much and kind of harp on Junkrat territory.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Bogart posted:

If you make the grenade affect Tychus for movement, it could be used as a last-ditch juke.

Yep! That's the reasoning behind Concussive Blast being on the Movement Tier.

quote:

Could even go with it allowing him to dispel roots / slows on himself with a self-cast, but that might be a little op.
I had a similar idea which can be found in the Level 7 talents.

Relentless posted:

Having a weaker baseline knockback that talents into a larger enemy and small self knockback would add some strategy to him. Having full on both would be a little much and kind of harp on Junkrat territory.
That's more or less what I changed it into. It wouldn't go too far into Junkrat territory, though - Concussive Mine's knockback is enormous and even with a full 100% increase to knockback, Frag Grenade doesn't even come close.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
i'm gonna be honest kith i couldn't find the talents section at all

oH. got it. sounds neat. I might even go full Xul and give him Sucker Punch as a very basic level one option, ala Body Check with Garrosh.

e: Change "Nice Try, Idiot" to "Nice Try, Kid." Tychus is much more posi in HOTS. "Kiss that keep goodbye, jerks!"

Bogart fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 14, 2018

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Thought I'd try not taking the Clemency at lvl1 for Whitemane...what a mistake. Relying on your team to actually attack is trouble.

Literally had a Muradin who would just jump away from me the second Garrosh stepped up. Like yeah, thanks bud you really saved yourself there.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Bogart posted:

i'm gonna be honest kith i couldn't find the talents section at all

oH. got it.
I'm sorry if it wasn't more obvious. I'll see if I can get away with bolding the text to make the link more visible.

quote:

sounds neat. I might even go full Xul and give him Sucker Punch as a very basic level one option, ala Body Check with Garrosh.
I'm hesitant to tread the same ground that another design has already covered because HOTS has been very careful to avoid making characters too similar. Hell, the primary reason that Tychus got remade into a Tankbuster in the first place was because Minigun's stacking Attack Speed was too similar to Valla's stacking Hatred. I could see the justification for it on a character/personality basis, but I don't think that making it available as a Level 1 talent would be wise because it's something that Garrosh already does (up to and including being an ability where the character chooses to punch someone instead of using their enormous weapon).

On top of all that, since I'm trying to emulate HOTS' more modern character designs, the Talent Tiers of my reworks are crafted with a specific theme in mind. The Tychus Rework's Level 1 theme is "mobility", and "punch someone in the face" doesn't really fit that that.

quote:

e: Change "Nice Try, Idiot" to "Nice Try, Kid." Tychus is much more posi in HOTS. "Kiss that keep goodbye, jerks!"
I have already transformed into an old man at the ripe age of 26, so I'm not hip with the lingo and I have no idea what "posi" means.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Teach me how to Leoric, I'm level 6 with him, I'm mainly having trouble deciding when and how to wraithwalk, do I use it as soon as my team starts taking damage to absorb it? It's sometimes hard to do without dying needlessly.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

Teach me how to Leoric, I'm level 6 with him, I'm mainly having trouble deciding when and how to wraithwalk, do I use it as soon as my team starts taking damage to absorb it? It's sometimes hard to do without dying needlessly.

I'm not the best leoric around but as long as you're blocking skillshots, draining their fatties health and slowing the enemy to a crawl you're doing something right.

Wraithwalk use evolves during the match. Early it's mostly your disengage/reposition button, starting at 13 and peaking at 16 it becomes your engage as you'll want to neutralize as many damage dealers as you can with it and take advantage of the Q+E synergy. Note that they removed the talent that gave you armor during wraithwalk.

I usually work with the following build:

1) Lifesteal on Q
4) More slow on Q (works when you're dead and pairs well with 13 and 16) Occasionally the extra range, depending on the comps
7) Range on W
10) Entomb if they lack easy escapes and your team can followup, March if you need the extra sustain
13) Wraith
16) WRAITH
20) Your pick but I love Spectral leech

protip: queue with a Fenix buddy to get those massive purification salvos going.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Always W somewhere before you E away to get that extra bit of healing while you're channeling.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
QuiZ! The strongest Varania ult is:

A)Twink Blades
B)Columbus Smash
3)Truant

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Princess Talanji for HOTS, thank you in advance

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Princess Talanji for HOTS, thank you in advance

Her ults are summon ghost dinosaur and mist cannon barrage

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

WITCHCRAFT posted:

QuiZ! The strongest Varania ult is:

A)Twink Blades
B)Columbus Smash
3)Truant

Twink Blades, as shown by talent popularity in my games.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

This has not been a good season for Unranked, holy gently caress. All of my other seasons I've had 50%+, right now I'm sitting at 47%.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
My Unranked has been great. 62% winrate overall 72% as assassin because I only play Cassia now.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How do you get that special Stukov NYET! emote??

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

fortunately, being a colossal piece of poo poo with lucio knows no winrate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

HOTS seems insanely buggy and laggy today. Wonder if it’s the BFA launch? I just had a game that was lost 100% due to me lagging out during a critical rotation; by the time I had reconnected, my team was dead (and mad) and they snowballed us from there.