Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Figured you all would appreciate some Battletech spotted at Gencon last week.

GIANT battletech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Holy poo poo the giant battletech

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
loving hell that all looks amazing, I need that giant Battletech set immediately. I play once or twice a month with a group in Brooklyn and we're all pumped as hell for the new tabletop set.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Holy poo poo the giant battletech

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Looks like HBS may have a new product in the queue, either that or they're rebuilding their team:

https://twitter.com/WeBeHarebrained/status/1028086675149185025

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Oh, and did somebody say Giant Battlemech?

https://bg.battletech.com/uncategorized/battletech-is-awesome/

looks 7-8" tall, imagine trying to move THAT across a battlemap :)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Fortunately, the Awesome is only a 3/5.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SirFozzie posted:

Oh, and did somebody say Giant Battlemech?

https://bg.battletech.com/uncategorized/battletech-is-awesome/

Uhhh 7-8' (feet) not inches I think!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SirFozzie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=071cXxCNj5A

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa. :P

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So I've been quietly peeved that there's no Catapult variant that has 2* missile slots in each arm because I've had a design in mind, and the only chassis that seems like it could do what I need it to do is the A variant Jagermech which can't be purchased in any star system save those that you can't access until after the endgame.

But then I had 2 missions in a row where I'm up to my ears in Jagermech salvage to the point where I've got two complete chassis.

So now Glitch is rolling in this.

It's a variation on the classic battletech Butterbee unique variant Catapult, with some extra holepunch ability. There's enough HS to fire the missiles constantly, and given that Glitch is 10/10/10/10 she can fire the LL for the first 4 turns without overheating. Not that the hole-punching ability is really required, because those +++/++ SRMs can completely strip a Heavy in 1 or 2 rounds.

It's glorious.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The Mechwarrior online Mad Cat looks really bad for some reason. It's one of the few that I hate

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

I've just started a Rogue Tech play through and utters going okay. It seems that pilots have a really low hit chance even with tag, homing beacons etc. It's seems like every fight rely drags on. I have to fence with the enemy lance until they mess up thrn focus down a mech. Is this intended or am I missing something.

It makes missions with reinforcements basically impossible because it takes so long to actually kill something I have to fight 7 mechs at once.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The Mechwarrior online Mad Cat looks really bad for some reason. It's one of the few that I hate

PGI didn't understand the Clans had their own aesthetic. The art for the Timberwolf was ok, but the final model they 'blunted' the same way they did the Atlas, making it wider and more squat. They basically took a shark and turned it into a sunfish.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Most MWO models are great and the timber wolf is..... fine, except from behind. It's shorter and squatter than the art but it's a 75-tonner after all and needs a robust silhouette for quick visual identification. Lest we forget, this is how it originally looked

edit: lmao i forgot about the rakshasa

:pwn:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I mean the Rakshasha is literally a derpy copy of the Timberwolf, so

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

PGI didn't understand the Clans had their own aesthetic. The art for the Timberwolf was ok, but the final model they 'blunted' the same way they did the Atlas, making it wider and more squat. They basically took a shark and turned it into a sunfish.

I thought the clan aesthetic was 'everything is a box because MW2 has a memory budget'.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

I thought the clan aesthetic was 'everything is a box because MW2 has a memory budget'.

Partially true. Clan 'Mechs being gunboxes is a valid part of their aesthetic, but it's not solely the case.

1) Clan 'Mechs usually have tiny baby hands. Smaller hands are more suitable as fine manipulators, because Clan pilots have better-quality neurohelmets that give them more fine control. They also disdain melee, so building a big punchyfist is less important, and the tinyfist emphasizes that this is not a 'Mech that punches. A lot of fan-favorite Clan 'Mechs like the Executioner and Kodiak are 'Mechs that buck the tinyfist design.

2) Clan 'Mechs have long, slender legs for their size. This isn't universal but Clan 'Mechs are usually very fast for their size and having leggy designs help make sure they look it. Clan 'Mechs that buck the long-legged design are rare. Even the Dire Wolf didn't skip leg day and it's about as slow as Clan 'Mechs get.

3) Clan 'Mechs tend to be long and slender, even the boxes like the Kitfox and Warhawk much longer than they are wide. MWO had to make the designs wider and less long for the sake of hitboxes, to the detriment of several designs (Timberwolf, Centurion, Atlas)

4) Dat Arm. With a few key exceptions many Clan light and medium 'Mechs are scouts and downplay their arms a bit. They tend to be scrawny to discourage their warriors from duking it out with bigger enemies. Then you get the heavy 'Mechs and get the oversized "I'm not loving around, you're dead" hexagon arm:

That arm was so successful at communicating "this is what these 'Mechs are about" that their 3145-era replacements got arms like this:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 13, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

MrTargetPractice posted:

I've just started a Rogue Tech play through and utters going okay. It seems that pilots have a really low hit chance even with tag, homing beacons etc. It's seems like every fight rely drags on. I have to fence with the enemy lance until they mess up thrn focus down a mech. Is this intended or am I missing something.

It makes missions with reinforcements basically impossible because it takes so long to actually kill something I have to fight 7 mechs at once.
There's a couple things going on - early on your base accuracy is terrible and you have to exploit every possible terrain advantage.

Melee is really important in RogueTech. An enemy that gets punched often loses its evasion pips. Forcing shutdowns is also really viable too. While a lot of weapons are no longer support weapons that used to shoot in melee, the ones that are either directly enhance melee or help your allies (TAG and NARC activate when you melee).

Pulse lasers, magshot rifles and +++ versions of some weapons will simply ignore a pip or two of evasion. Magshots are particularly nice ; 10 shots built into the weapon, only 1 ton and 1 crit slot.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The hexpod arm is so fuckin good

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like how a lot of them share other parts as well. Direwolf / Warhawk legs, Timberwolf/Mad Dog legs, etc. Everything looked so much more modular, so mission accomplished. They all stand out when compared to how individualized the IS stuff is at the time.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

I've been doing a lot better now that my pilots have a few levels under their belt. I've been spamming as much ewar stuff as possible which also helps.

I did notice a bug that works in my favor. If you fire both an emp and a narc beacon if either hits you get the effects of both.

I just got a black knight to eject when all I have is a vindicater and shadow hawk for my heaviest stuff so that's nice.

I did remember reading something that missions scale to whatever you field's cost. So if I drop thst black knight with the rest of my crap am I going to see a bunch of heavies on 1 skulls?

MrTargetPractice fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 14, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
That's a thing in the base game too - sometimes PPCs will still cause the EMP effect even on a miss. I suppose it could be based on other weapons in the same salvo hitting.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It also has something to do with the Mercenary Review Board I think.

Have you noticed pilots ejecting more often? I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that you can inflict engine and gyro crits now?

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Does having more dudes give more events or just more options when an event occurs?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

Does having more dudes give more events or just more options when an event occurs?

Some events have special outcomes if your dudes have specific tags, from small flavor things to special resolutions. There is a mod someone is making to add little pilot perks for every tag as well.

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/282

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
I've decided to start a modded campaign on higher difficulty settings. I've already downloaded merc deployments and basic panic system. Are there any other universally recommended mods? Mods that add more types of missions or maybe more pilot variety would be good. Maybe more mechs/weapons if they're done well/aren't too ridiculous. I've seen roguetech and am not interested due to some of the changes it makes.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Get 'Hangar of the Dispossessed', it adds the Warhammer and Marauder with the actual, correct models.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Organ Fiend posted:

I've decided to start a modded campaign on higher difficulty settings. I've already downloaded merc deployments and basic panic system. Are there any other universally recommended mods? Mods that add more types of missions or maybe more pilot variety would be good. Maybe more mechs/weapons if they're done well/aren't too ridiculous. I've seen roguetech and am not interested due to some of the changes it makes.

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/136?tab=description&BH=0

This one improves pilot variety through Pilot Quirks, adds the Warhammer and Marauder, and includes a system where the Sucessor States slowly rediscover LosTech, becoming available in stores. It also adds a whole slew of variants for existing mechs and includes Wartech with the whole Inner Sphere.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Roguetech has made this game much more like the game that I wanted. I'm having a blast and stuff like needing 5 pieces to finish a mech is making it much more exciting when you finally do get to upgrade to a new mech. I am up to 2 Hunchbacks, a Griffon and a Trebuchet and I feel like I've come a thousand miles already!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

deathbagel posted:

Roguetech has made this game much more like the game that I wanted. I'm having a blast and stuff like needing 5 pieces to finish a mech is making it much more exciting when you finally do get to upgrade to a new mech. I am up to 2 Hunchbacks, a Griffon and a Trebuchet and I feel like I've come a thousand miles already!

:same:
They've added more granularity to the difficulty, so people that tend to be "I like X but not Y" can tweak it accordingly.

Salvaged mechs seem much more expensive to put together now. I'm guessing it has something to do with engine and gyro additions. I tend to save my money for the mechs I actually want to use, since restoring them up to functionality eats up all the profit you would get from selling them.

Still, it's lots of fun customizing your lance now, since you have an enormous variety of equipment.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got bored of my "hard" campaign now that I have a full lance of Assaults so maybe it's time to install that and gently caress around with mods.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The fact that hits don't remove evasion pips fundamentally changes your strategies. Before, you could soften up a target's evasion and stability with crappy weapons then follow up with a strong hole puncher. Now, you have to get more creative in how you'll reliably hit your targets.

With melee becoming more specialized, it nudges you toward an all or nothing approach to design. Instead of a small battery of weapons that will likely whiff and overheat your mech, you can focus on support weapons to directly boost your melee accuracy, damage, and secondary attacks. There's many ways to boost speed and you can now shoot/melee after sprinting which allows you to charge forward and deliver a fatal haymaker from a surprising distance. You can even spec for DFA attacks which are hilarious.

The variety of weapons and equipment may be overwhelming, but makes for some fun RPG moments where hard times can lead to some hilariously ramshackle frankenmechs.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
I also remember some people here talking about an AI mod that made the AI behave more like a human. Is this the one?

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-release-better-ai-tweaks-for-deadlier-ai.1075322/

I remember the feedback on this one being good. Am I remembering correctly?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Organ Fiend posted:

I also remember some people here talking about an AI mod that made the AI behave more like a human. Is this the one?

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-release-better-ai-tweaks-for-deadlier-ai.1075322/

Thats the only one I know of. Amechwarrior is a goon and posts in the this thread as well.

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

Breetai posted:

So I've been quietly peeved that there's no Catapult variant that has 2* missile slots in each arm because I've had a design in mind, and the only chassis that seems like it could do what I need it to do is the A variant Jagermech which can't be purchased in any star system save those that you can't access until after the endgame.

But then I had 2 missions in a row where I'm up to my ears in Jagermech salvage to the point where I've got two complete chassis.

So now Glitch is rolling in this.

It's a variation on the classic battletech Butterbee unique variant Catapult, with some extra holepunch ability. There's enough HS to fire the missiles constantly, and given that Glitch is 10/10/10/10 she can fire the LL for the first 4 turns without overheating. Not that the hole-punching ability is really required, because those +++/++ SRMs can completely strip a Heavy in 1 or 2 rounds.

It's glorious.

-1 HS / +1 ML++ in my opinion

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Organ Fiend posted:

Yes, it is good. But I'm biased as I'm the creator. It's better than stock, but it's not some AI-Kerensky yet. "Less Dumb" is an apt phrase.

I'm away on business and haven't been able to work on it for a month or so. But my plans are to keep making the AI more aggressive while not losing the defensive base I've established.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Just the fact that it lets the AI reserve again is a huge game changer.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Amechwarrior posted:

Yes, it is good. But I'm biased as I'm the creator. It's better than stock, but it's not some AI-Kerensky yet. "Less Dumb" is an apt phrase.

I'm away on business and haven't been able to work on it for a month or so. But my plans are to keep making the AI more aggressive while not losing the defensive base I've established.

Your mod is queued up for my next campaign. I'll be running it, merc deployments, panic system, and a small one I made to change all PPC heat to 30. Thank you for your hard work! :thumbsup:

DatonKallandor posted:

Just the fact that it lets the AI reserve again is a huge game changer.

Yeah, that is pretty huge. I posted earlier in this thread that there really needs to be an initiative phase 0, so that the mechanics for assault mechs matched the other weight classes (i.e. assaults could then reserve and be knocked back an initiative phase). Someone pointed out (forgot who, but he has a moon patrol avatar) that the big problem with this is that it would let you cheese the AI even harder. If the AI can reserve then this isn't an issue.

The last mod I'm looking for is something that improves juggernaut. I found this one (https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/87), but this is too powerful. A mod that just autobraced after melee or allowed a melee attack out of a sprint would be enough. Are there any like this (or an earlier version of this mod that does this), or is there a place I can go to read about how to do this myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The juggernaut mod you linked has a version that only braces in the files tab. That's the one I use - it seems good enough. Melee still risky with it though, especially with the AI mod, because even though you're braced you are going to end up in easy punching and de-bracing range. Watching the activation timings is super important still.

I also can't recommend these https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821533&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=318#post483957862 changes enough. It really makes accuracy something that matters (instead of almost all shots in the game being 80%+) and helps lights and mediums a lot. Without slowing the game down to a crawl as everyone has permanent 20%s to hit.