Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Superrodan posted:

There's a magic-in-the-wild show coming to Netflix in a few weeks called Magic For Humans. I've seen a preview of three segments and it's pretty great, so I'm excited. It seems somewhat inspired by The Carbonaro Effect but instead of him fooling people as a fake employee it's sort of a bunch of pranks on subjects that he's covering as a faux documentarian. For example, one of the clips was him going to a goat yoga place and then doing impossible yoga once the instructor put a goat on his back. Here's one of the preview clips I got to see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSRmdzofkio

What the... how did they do that?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

I've been sitting here for five minutes asking myself the same question.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That owns.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

precision posted:

They edit out the part where they distract the children for 10 seconds and make the swap.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The marshmallows are actually hired actors.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The marshmallow was civility and class in 2018.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Any decent (and my bar is pretty low) Saw-alikes on Netflix or Prime? If they're trashy that's fine, as long as they're watchable.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

regulargonzalez posted:

Any decent (and my bar is pretty low) Saw-alikes on Netflix or Prime? If they're trashy that's fine, as long as they're watchable.

First movie that came to mind is Would You Rather, which is on Netflix.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Inhuman Resources on Prime is great. It's an office-themed Saw.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

They edit out the part where they distract the children for 10 seconds and make the swap.

That's some slick editing then, they definitely didn't just cut it and the cup never looks like cg or like its keyed in.

Terminal is on Hulu, and its a little like a magic trick, except that when all the pieces are lined up and you think you're about to get an incredible payoff as all these disparate pieces begin to come together, the marshmallow turns into a giant piece of poo poo, the kid reveals he is actually Mike Meyers, and the guy in the booth went home hours ago. The sets and lights were pretty.

e a magnet in the marshmallow and the cup? But they look in the cup. Ah, but we don't look in the cup. Wait what if one of the kids ate the magnet? oh my god

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 11, 2018

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Office-themed Saw sounds amazing :staredog:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society: Is it just me, or did that love story come out of nowhere? I felt blindsided by "Will you marry me?"

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Enjoyed season 1 of Channel Zero on Shudder. Went to look up reviews for the other seasons and discovered the show is based off creepy pastas? I've never really delved into those. I might have to check some out.

Also Shudder's quality is still (perhaps forever?) shifty as gently caress.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Season 1 of Channel Zero is arguably the least good of the 3... If you can find 2/3 somewhere, you're in for a treat

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Trashy and fun. Thanks!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Season 1 of Channel Zero is arguably the least good of the 3... If you can find 2/3 somewhere, you're in for a treat

Yeah, it's definitely the worst of the three.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't watched season 3 of Channel Zero yet but I thought 2 had a great beginning and ending with some questionable stuff in the middle. Season 1 was based on a better story but didn't really stick the landing. The story of season 2 is kind of garbage but the execution is fantastic, if that makes sense.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
John Carroll Lynch really makes Season 2.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Trashy and fun. Thanks!

The ending is fantastic, too. It deserves a sequel.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Fargo season 3 might be my favorite one yet. It's on hulu.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Binged watched Insatiable on Netflix. Somehow I feel dirty.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tweet my meat posted:

Fargo season 3 might be my favorite one yet. It's on hulu.

It's my favorite season as well, and I can't wait to rewatch it. David Thewlis hasn't been that good since Naked in 1993

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
It's funny, during Fargo S3, it felt like a large chunk of TVIV took it as a given that S2 was much better. I think looking back, I've enjoyed every season of Fargo equally for different reasons. I think that's actually my favorite aspect of the show: Minnesota as narrative canvas for different expressions of human frailty, greed, longing, love, etc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Most of TVIV is definitely of the opinion that season 3 is a lot worse than 1 and 2, unless they all changed their minds since the finale. That was a rough thread.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I learned very quickly by following the thread for Twin Peaks: The Return that TVIV is the worst place on SomethingAwful full of goons that don't know poo poo about anything.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Franchescanado posted:

I learned very quickly by following the thread for Twin Peaks: The Return that TVIV is the worst place on SomethingAwful full of goons that don't know poo poo about anything.

Most TV/IV goons spend the episode thumbing through their phones and then come back to the thread to make grand statements about the writing while simultaneously asking about very obvious plot points they missed because they weren’t paying attention.

It’s not as bad in threads about dead shows, but it’s still a garbage forum.

tweet my meat posted:

As opposed to CD, the last bastion of intelligent discussion on the finer arts.

Nah, CD is garbage as well.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 14, 2018

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tweet my meat posted:

Unirionically yes.

TBB's cool, but there's like two threads with good stuff and then a bunch of people that want to argue the validity of genre fiction.

Creative Convention is the nicest and most sincere of the fine art forums, which is weird, since the forum is designed around criticism.

Anyway, how is that Netflix show I Am A Killer? Is it a thought-provoking meditation on death like Herzog's Into The Abyss, or is it exploitative True Crime bullshit?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's exploitative true crime bullshit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Anyway, how is that Netflix show I Am A Killer? Is it a thought-provoking meditation on death like Herzog's Into The Abyss, or is it exploitative True Crime bullshit?

It's really good. Every episode is a completely different person's story, so you'll probably find some more compelling than others. But there's very little of that typical sensationalist crap you'd find on Discovery ID or whatever network does true crime these days.

And the perpetrators are all over the map. There's a few that will make your skin crawl, a few others that will probably gain your sympathy, and then also a few that you'll probably have a hard time making a real decision on.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's exploitative true crime bullshit.

I don't see how you can come to that opinion. Maybe it's not as existential as The Abyss but there's a lot more to it than your average true crime doc?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Er, no, I agree with you. I liked the show. I was just using Franchescanado's words. I'm also a total sucker for true crime shows.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's a middle ground I suppose between something as thoughtful as a Herzog doc, and all that other true crime bullshit you see on t.v.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

It's a middle ground I suppose between something as thoughtful as a Herzog doc, and all that other true crime bullshit you see on t.v.

Cool, I'll give it a go sometime.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Franchescanado posted:

Creative Convention is the nicest and most sincere of the fine art forums, which is weird, since the forum is designed around criticism.

NMD is really nice now that there's only like 5 of us left

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Franchescanado posted:

Twin Peaks: The Return was incredible. Goons didn't like it?

I've stopped following TVIV threads for the most part. The massive Survivor threads very quickly devolve into a hive mind of misogyny.

I followed the treads for The Expanse for a while, but it was full of people having huge arguments about astrophysics and whether what was shown on screen was actually possible in real life. Or people freaking out about the proper use of spoiler tags. Not a debate over whether the spoiler tags were used properly, but a lot of people were getting angry that spoiler tags should be used at all because they were too tempted to read what was beneath them.

I remember when Modern Family was still in its first season, that thread was just nothing but goons talking about how much they wanted to gently caress the actress who plays Haley, who was supposed to play like a 15 year old.

RuPaul's Drag Race is the one thread that I still follow, as it shockingly generally has it's poo poo together.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nihonniboku posted:

I've stopped following TVIV threads for the most part. The massive Survivor threads very quickly devolve into a hive mind of misogyny.

I followed the treads for The Expanse for a while, but it was full of people having huge arguments about astrophysics and whether what was shown on screen was actually possible in real life. Or people freaking out about the proper use of spoiler tags. Not a debate over whether the spoiler tags were used properly, but a lot of people were getting angry that spoiler tags should be used at all because they were too tempted to read what was beneath them.

I remember when Modern Family was still in its first season, that thread was just nothing but goons talking about how much they wanted to gently caress the actress who plays Haley, who was supposed to play like a 15 year old.

RuPaul's Drag Race is the one thread that I still follow, as it shockingly generally has it's poo poo together.

Nah, it was well regarded (I hated the ending myself, but really liked everything up to that), but the thread is terrible.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nihonniboku posted:

I used to follow the The Walking Dead thread because it was a delightful hatefest, but then I stopped watching The Walking Dead and there was no more reason to check in

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hey y’all, please stop talking about other forums sucking/being good in here, thanks.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GonSmithe posted:

Hey y’all, please stop talking about other forums sucking/being good in here, thanks.

But... but... other forums suck, and are also good!! 😭

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

Most of TVIV is definitely of the opinion that season 3 is a lot worse than 1 and 2, unless they all changed their minds since the finale. That was a rough thread.

I love Fargo, but season 3 was the worst despite my love of Carrie Coon. Still it was good (my favorite episode was The Law of Non-Contradiction, but that was almost a standalone episode). In the end I just didn't find the cast as characters as interesting as the other 2 seasons.

Also it is hard for me to pick my favorite season of Fargo. I want to say 2, but then I remember how great season 1 was. Pretty much a tie between the first two.