Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beexoffel posted:

[fnord]
Please keep the catpixels in the other thread.
[/fnord]

What happens if you fnord a fnord in a fnord! Ha! I bet the illuminati never considered that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

The Titanic posted:

I hope he makes another Kickstarter, where he tells everybody about all the lessons he's learned and how this time will be better. The whole abused spouse syndrome will come out in spades. :clint:

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Hav posted:

Nipple-horns on a Primarch.

Seriously; I post a really interesting story on Coutts & Co entering the 'dumb investment' field and not a dicky bird.

There's not really a lot of places we can go with that right now. Coutts is entering the wild west of IT startups 20 years late and is clearly lacking any kind of in-house experience that could help them spot a lame horse, but the funny part is only going to happen when they try to get their money back.

And even that will probably be done in private, so I will just have to imagine an angry Cockney dunking Chris Riberts' head into a barrel of water while screaming "Where's tha fooking money, ya fooking muppet?!? "

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dongsturm posted:

There's not really a lot of places we can go with that right now. Coutts is entering the wild west of IT startups 20 years late and is clearly lacking any kind of in-house experience that could help them spot a lame horse, but the funny part is only going to happen when they try to get their money back.

And even that will probably be done in private, so I will just have to imagine an angry Cockney dunking Chris Riberts' head into a barrel of water while screaming "Where's tha fooking money, ya fooking muppet?!? "

I think the funny thing is there is a horse out there actually named Star Citizen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hav posted:

I get triggered by the inaccurate use of 'decimate', because it means 10%, and people use it when they mean a lot more than ten percent, and a rain will comeandwashawayallthefilthfromthestreets.

Its not wholly inappropriate though. Decimation was a Roman punishment of having soldiers beat 10% of their own men to death. 90% survived, but it was brutally stressful on them. Even in Roman times it was considered barbaric and was rare.

So using 'decimated' to mean 'brutally beaten' is about right.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Agony Aunt posted:

What happens if you fnord a fnord in a fnord! Ha! I bet the illuminati never considered that!

Anticyclical reverse-tesselated trolling is what happens then. Few have tried and returned to goonsanity.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

2) I needed a producer that could do more than just do a good deal. I needed someone to help me on the set, to tell me hey Chris I know you want to do these 10 things but we only have money to do 5 things really well. So let's pick what they are and knock them out of the park and cut the others. This is what a strong creative producer does, and its what I've tried to do for other directors I've worked with over the last 10 years.

If I made the movie today it would be 10x better.

Hahahahahahahahaha

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Nyast posted:

Don't spread FUD, Goonie. Chris was a billionaire before he started Star Citizen. He spent millions of his own money to fund the Kickstarter. And even if he now takes in a comfortable salary, he deserves it. After all, he's spending his nights in coding sessions to fix the mess his teams are making.

He even stays late at night to craft his mocap gear direct from the ground up between two sessions of coding direct to the metal.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Don't be too overjoyed until a timeframe is given.

Zzr fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 14, 2018

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Zaphod42 posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha

the man with a thousand excuses never has time for honest self-reflection, no instead the reflection becomes the marketing pitch.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

DapperDon posted:

Ah, so now you're Captain Forum Freedomfighter. Got it.

Jobbo’s from Quebec, which actually violates the UN Human Rights declaration with its language laws, so don’t look for consistency or logic, just expect whining.

iamjohnsalt
Dec 6, 2017

Deadguy2322 posted:

Jobbo’s from Quebec, which actually violates the UN Human Rights declaration with its language laws, so don’t look for consistency or logic, just expect whining.

no u r

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

<somewhere a finger hovers over a trigger, waiting for the word. But not today. Not today.>

Dongsturm posted:

Yeah, but I'm wondering how much of that was Chris Roberts trying to explain why he had these bags of cash that needed 'resting' someplace and a bunch of bankers being called into the room with; "Tarquin, come in here. You'll never believe how this guy got a hundred million".

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think the funny thing is there is a horse out there actually named Star Citizen.

http://www.skysports.com/racing/form-profiles/horse/822470/star-citizen

I suspect he'll be dead before the game comes out. And Chris Roberts won't care.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

i feel really bad about starloop and i have a feeling theres gonna be more where that came from which makes me wonder how sandi and roberts sleep at night

welp seeya

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Hav posted:

http://www.skysports.com/racing/form-profiles/horse/822470/star-citizen

I suspect he'll be dead before the game comes out. And Chris Roberts won't care.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

-77% ROI is kinda poetic.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hopefully Roberts can glue something together from this mess.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I think the funny thing here is that he calls himself Commander Roberts. Fantastic.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hopefully Roberts can glue something together from this mess.

I think he'll just hoof it.

Edit: He's more a Commodore. Sorry, Commode Door.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

I think he'll just hoof it.

Edit: He's more a Commodore. Sorry, Commode Door.

Thank god Roberts got back on the saddle again.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thank god Roberts got back on the saddle again.

It's more the people that he hitched his wagon to. Neigh, I didn't like some of his choices.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

If I made the movie today it would be 10x better... I've learnt a lot over the last ten years

No. No you haven't. And i don''t believe if you redid WC today it would be any better than SC is today. You live in your head, which is totally disconnected from reality.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Starloop really is the first time that we've seen a True Believer publicly come to the realization that all of this is a scam in real time and react this way, and it throws into stark relief the argument that one goon (Beer? Beef?) had with Sandi about their culpability in regards to the mental health of their fans. Yes, there's going to be lots of fans who rage against Goons and lots of fans who keep dreaming and lots of fans who turn on Crobberts when this falls over, but there's also the subset who see this as their only chance at meaningful existence and who will genuinely need suicide counseling when this is done.

At the end of the day the ridiculousness of Star Citizen isn't predicated on Crobbert's ineptitude or Ben's disturbing behaviour and creation of a toxic community or whatever it is that Sandi is doing with herself these days. Star Citizen could be feature-complete with absolutely everything that everyone ever wanted in the game at maximum fidelity and delivered on time, and it would still be just as much of a laughable shitshow because of something very fundamental to it that requires almost no knowledge of the half-decade of drama and bullshit that has arisen around it:

Here is a video game that people are spending multiple tens of thousands of dollars on in order to play.

Regardless of the truthfulness of any of the rumour surrounding its development, this fact alone is sufficient to condemn both the game and its fanbase.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

He literally stated he needed a producer to reign him in and limit what he did to stay within budget, Yup there you go SC fans from his mouth to your ears.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Uh I'm reasonably certain Annabelle Boo Huxley is a sexy steampunk babe who just looooves space sims, teehee

Same. Except from Norway and also just 18.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lack of Gravitas posted:

There's also the fun of watching the rest of the internet catch up to where this thread was at three or four years ago :pgabz:

That was always the worst part of The Blogs. They always just kind of rehashed all the things the thread has been saying for so long it stopped being talked about. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ah yes, good!!! He can just copy this and then do some quick replacements with some words and it'll be his perfect next pitch. Good job! :)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think we've had other conversions, though this is probably the highest level of belief to suddenly crater.

Necros posted:

i feel really bad about starloop and i have a feeling theres gonna be more where that came from which makes me wonder how sandi and roberts sleep at night
Which is funny since goons are painted as a horrible band of thugs but we don't actually wish ill will on these people once they're out from shilling for the scam.

Well other than the fuckers decrying refunds for people who have lost the physical ability to play the game to horrible nightmarish diseases. gently caress you and fall into a box of fans and die Miku.
And the rapists and well you know there's a list but they're not really most of the community I think?

Agony Aunt posted:

No. No you haven't. And i don''t believe if you redid WC today it would be any better than SC is today. You live in your head, which is totally disconnected from reality.
It would be ten times better and that's not saying anything.

Like do you remember the last time you had food poisoning? How would you rate that meal? Ten times that isn't a high bar to clear.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Zzr posted:

Don't be too overjoyed until a timeframe is given.

If it's not two weeks, I swear...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Morphix posted:

the man with a thousand excuses never has time for honest self-reflection, no instead the reflection becomes the marketing pitch.

Retrospectives are only for people who make mistakes. When you're the perfect coder and Director, you don't need these stupid things and they just waste your valuable time of coming up with ideas. :clint:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

If it's not two weeks, I swear...

90 days, tops

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Peter.Quint posted:

Well, well, well. Looks like the thread got a new guy who was worse than me and my unfortunate confession that I jerked off to pictures of Nicole de Boer I found online.

Doesn't seem so bad, now, does it? Peter.Quint - not such a bad guy, they say.

Jerking off to the wrong Dax is worse than treason.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

But no more than two fiscal quarters.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
One thing we thought a long time ago was that Star. I'm wouldn't suddenly burn out over night. It would be slow and gradual, giving "super fans" like Starloop time to acquiesce to the changing climate around them.

They would realize what's up, or get bored, and would be mostly ok and alright and simply attach themselves to the next big thing promising them a new virtual life.

What Starloop did was certainly interesting, because for some reason or other this gradual light came on quickly for them. They very swiftly stopped being a "hardline supporter" and evaluated the situation, and came to the realization very quickly that the eggs they put in this basket were not adding up.

Ultimately this could happen to a lot of people; they only choose to make an effort to ignore literal facts that are put before them. The only way to attack this is two ways:

1: Chris Roberts lied
2: Chris Roberts was hugely wrong

The problem here is that with 1, you have to ask "when is he telling the truth?" And with 2 it's "when is he not going to be hugely wrong?" Since there is no way to tell, and the state of the game vs the promises is so far off base, you're tied down by this inner urge that it "has to happen because of all this time and money and people" so maybe tomorrow is the day the magic happens.

Suddenly though tomorrow is next year, and the big updates have been removing stuff to put in other stuff, and those things are like "wow a new ship that's the best ship this week."

Seeing it for what it is, is a lot harder than seeing it for what it's not. Like the goon side of the fence has tons and tons of evidence and the proof is literally the product itself. The other side can claim to have the product, but it's not what anybody thought it would be even during the Kickstarter phase. It's barely there, albeit has some pretty graphics. The graphics help to keep that AAA appearance up, too.

But to return to the topic, it's possible that there might be more Starloop people, but they'll be the exception. I mean over 7 years I don't really recall a hard hitter suddenly making an about face like that. In fact, I've only heard of Starloop very recently. So I'm not even sure if they were some long term backer or just somebody who saw something in the last couple months or something.

In any case, I'm not seeing a lot of Starloop situations happen, though it'd be interesting to see. Also interesting to see the aftermath, because at that point you see some interesting things happen.

1: The "good guy" backers throw their own out violently
2: The "evil goons" hope the guy gets better and show concern and some people want to reach out to help them

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

But no more than two fiscal quarters.

Definitely sometime this financial year, for sure.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Definitely sometime this financial year, for sure.

This decade definitely.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

This function argument is clearly too long and enclosed in brackets... A-and refactored. Gosh, what hard work. I deserve a nap, or perhaps a short holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

he just deleted the Crytek copyright didn't he