Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bobulus posted:

It's very frustrating having lovely-but-cowardly conservative relatives. I've got one that will post a video showing cops beating up student protesters in Italy, and the comments will be full of "gently caress yeah!", but if I call 'em on it, they'll claim they're just posting the video and not taking a side, that I'm the horrible one for assuming they've picked a side.

Haha Jesus, as if fence-sitting on state suppression of free assembly and protest is an unassailable position by contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

duodenum posted:

Pomona PD hiring just the best people.

Is that man a giant or is everyone else very short?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

OwlFancier posted:

P sure those are children on the left so

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

OwlFancier posted:

Police Explorer programs are essentially like youth scout programs for kids that wanna learn about fascism, so probably a combination of being tall and surrounded by literal adolescents.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I though it was a very grim middle aged woman under the hat but that explains it I guess.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

OwlFancier posted:

I though it was a very grim middle aged woman under the hat but that explains it I guess.

Fascism ages people unnaturally, just look at your av for instance.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

DrNutt posted:

Fascism ages people unnaturally, just look at your av for instance.

Pretty sure that's drugs, which fascists tend to be into.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Orange Devil posted:

Pretty sure that's drugs, which fascists tend to be into.

Sure but in Steve Bannon's case he rolled up to the corner where they were like "yo we got that fake holy grail here son"

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

"No serious arrest record"

Hey, as long as you haven't fuckin' killed anybody yet or whatever give us a holler!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

GPA 2.0+ in America basically equates to "has shown up in class more than twice," so lol.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Thinking back to high school and of the kids who had a 2.0-2.5 GPA now having state sanctioned lethal force and a gun is terrifying.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
C's get degrees a badge and a gun.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Police Explorers is like a mentoring/training program, they aren't hired off the bat and given a gun and a badge and told to go fight crime. They're basically a fascist youth organization and while the concept is horrifying, it's not quite as bad as plucking morons off the street and giving them guns. I think it's probably okay, generally speaking, for professional mentorship programs to have fairly lax academic standards because there are a lot of kids who are doing lovely in school who still probably want to function in society someday.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah I assumed it was like JROTC but more tailored to rolling them over into police than JROTC was in making new officers for the military.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Police Explorers is like a mentoring/training program, they aren't hired off the bat and given a gun and a badge and told to go fight crime. They're basically a fascist youth organization and while the concept is horrifying, it's not quite as bad as plucking morons off the street and giving them guns. I think it's probably okay, generally speaking, for professional mentorship programs to have fairly lax academic standards because there are a lot of kids who are doing lovely in school who still probably want to function in society someday.

Generally speaking, maybe, but the police is already chock full of underachievers who regularly abuse their power because it makes them feel big and strong and they never face any consequences for it. Fast-tracking another generation of below-average intelligences into the job is not going to help this problem in the slightest.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Julio Cruz posted:

Generally speaking, maybe, but the police is already chock full of underachievers who regularly abuse their power because it makes them feel big and strong and they never face any consequences for it. Fast-tracking another generation of below-average intelligences into the job is not going to help this problem in the slightest.

The whole police apparatus in this country needs to be torn down and the earth below salted, that I firmly believe. I don't think kids who are in high school should be locked out of a career because they hosed around and got bad grades when they were 15 either.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
So this charming fellow posted this publicly on his instagram. He's a competitor and once threatened bodily harm to me through email because he got played by a mutual customer.

quote:

So after I get out of the shower in the morning I just grab the next t shirt in the stack, over the years the collection grows and so you dont wear them out as quick, I have about 165 in the stack, that being said I dont pick one over the other, I just need to get to work, so anyway this is what I grabbed this morning, I pay no attention as my commute is out the back door and to my shop, well I went to the grocery store a little bit ago, I was getting thumbs up, people smiling, and then it dawned on me it was my shirt, which then made sense as a few nitwits gave me some weird glances, oh well gently caress those people, but it did get me thinking, if some liberal twat comes up and decides to engage me I have it locked in my head that liberals dont believe in simple things like say science and biology so they make up different genders to fit their retardedness, and the good thing about that is now if one of these "things" gets aggressive towards me then no matter what gender "it" is it would then be discriminitory if you didn't knock their teeth out, all the gentlemen rules are now out the window, then maybe they would be able to identify with a toddler who doesn't have teeth yet, haha
So current number is 5478 let's see how many people on Instagram quit following me now over this pic

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Ah yes the anti-science looney left.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love that they apparently think punching any male that approaches you in a critical manner is "gentlemanly" in the first place, and then he tosses that aside so he can assault women as well as long as they're liberal. Seems like they're a very honorable gentleman, yes.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

DrNutt posted:

The whole police apparatus in this country needs to be torn down and the earth below salted, that I firmly believe. I don't think kids who are in high school should be locked out of a career because they hosed around and got bad grades when they were 15 either.

There are plenty of other careers they can go for, just not ones where they have literal power of life and death over others.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Julio Cruz posted:

There are plenty of other careers they can go for, just not ones where they have literal power of life and death over others.

Okay but statistically speaking you're going to lock a lot of non-white students out of a potential career in law enforcement with that attitude, since the entire education system is biased in favor of white students. There are massive systemic issues with both policing and education at play and middle school/high school grades are poo poo metrics to hold people accountable for, especially as people come into adulthood.

e: I want to make it clear I'm not defending the young brownshirts here, I'm just saying that the requirements listed in that image don't deserve to be mocked because "hurr durr best and brightest" as though someone's secondary education should follow them to the grave.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 14, 2018

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

He is just using biology in his posting, because real men dont have periods.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DrNutt posted:

Okay but statistically speaking you're going to lock a lot of non-white students out of a potential career in law enforcement with that attitude
I assumed that was what the "No serious arrest record" bit was for, given disparities in stop and search, school-to-prison, misdemeanor/felony charges, and sentences handed down.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Vinny the Shark posted:

Sparta wasn't at all tyrannical and oppressive with its' government.
Also, it's a manly white dude standing up to a flamboyant black guy.
So many "free thinkers" all nodding knowingly at the same meme centered around a society run by kings using stills from a movie run by a director.

gently caress, Planet of the Apes rereboot was better and the message was correct: apes strong together.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Let's have some perspective here. Kids who sign up for the Police Explorers program most likely genuinely want to help and protect their communities. A young teenager usually doesn't have the awareness of systemic racism, police brutality, corruption, and abuse that we do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes that's what the youth organization is there to teach them.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I thought it had been known that the police doesn't recruit the brightest individuals, and you're basically looking for someone who can be in lockstep with company policy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 45 minutes!

Aeka 2.0 posted:

So this charming fellow posted this publicly on his instagram. He's a competitor and once threatened bodily harm to me through email because he got played by a mutual customer.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A TSHIRT OVER MY PASTY BELLY. IT'S TRUMP 2020 gently caress YOUR FEELINGS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, TRUMP. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN MAGA SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME LIBERAL BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED MCDOUGALL COUNTY'S MOST DANGEROUS CHILD SUPPORT JUDGEMENT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY TRAILER PARK AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN LIBERAL poo poo HOLES CAN STILL BE IMMATURE TODDLERS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE QANON LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY DOUBLE WIDE LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Brawnfire posted:

I love that they apparently think punching any male that approaches you in a critical manner is "gentlemanly" in the first place, and then he tosses that aside so he can assault women as well as long as they're liberal. Seems like they're a very honorable gentleman, yes.

You know he's the 'super clever own twenty minutes later' type.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

seiferguy posted:

I thought it had been known that the police doesn't recruit the brightest individuals, and you're basically looking for someone who can be in lockstep with company policy.

Police work often pays like total rear end so anybody who can do better probably won't go for it. You actually want not stupid police officers so they can actually, you know, have strong investigative skills and reason their way through problems. Another big snag is that the police force also attracts lovely people who like the idea of having power and abusing it because, well, we do a really lovely job of policing the police. Somebody who wants to beat up black people is going to find a job where he can get away with beating up black people incredibly attractive. Decent people who actually do want to do that whole "serve and protect" thing are going to get driven out by lovely actors, get disgusted and leave, or never even go in in the first place because...gently caress...$10 an hour to deal with that poo poo? No thanks.

In areas where the police have a horrible reputation people who don't want to get that on them aren't going to join on top of that. I mean, really...if you knew a local organization was rotten to the core would you have anything to do with them?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dameius posted:

Yeah I assumed it was like JROTC but more tailored to rolling them over into police than JROTC was in making new officers for the military.
JROTC was more than where ya put the dumb slackers who wanted to just smoke weed and play magic but refused to do Horticulture?

Was the only A I got

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Dameius posted:

Thinking back to high school and of the kids who had a 2.0-2.5 GPA now having state sanctioned lethal force and a gun is terrifying.

You can be denied entry into a police program due to intelligence. They want you smart enough to follow orders, but not smart enough to question them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ponzicar posted:

Let's have some perspective here. Kids who sign up for the Police Explorers program most likely genuinely want to help and protect their communities. A young teenager usually doesn't have the awareness of systemic racism, police brutality, corruption, and abuse that we do.

You're right, it is mainly white people doing it.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, you can legally be discriminated against if you're too smart. They can refuse to hire you. They went to court for that right,

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

winterwerefox posted:

He is just using biology in his posting, because real men dont have periods.

I just wanted you to know that I appreciated this post.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
A "friend" posted a picture of Beto O'Rourke's mugshot from a few years ago. This is the fun I had over the past two days:

LM posted:
He’s a fraud.
This is an Irish kid named Robert Francis O'Rourke. He calls himself "Beto" so you will think he's Hispanic. He's not. He has a bad habit of acting naughty. Breaking and entering. DUI. Things like that. But his daddy was a powerful judge so he always walks. He wants to be your next Senator from Texas. 🤣

TS: It’s frightening to see how many people are falling for this degenerate!
LM True.

ME: It's a good thing that Ted Cruz never did stupid stuff when he was a kid. Oh wait. (link for Ted Cruz's Criminal Past: Underage Beer Possession)
AJ: DUI and breaking and entering VS underage beer possession. 😂😂😂
ME: It's not a direct comparison, but Nobody's Perfect.

JG: I find it hysterical that instead of having a discussion, someone posts a tit for tat comment..it’s what you do when when you have nothing
ME: Isn't that how people have discussions?
JG: That’s not a discussion....we used to call them toppers
ME: My bad, I thought that when people say things like they don't want a senator with a mugshot that meant both guys were disqualified. I guess it's cool since Cruz was a minor?
JG: Her post was about someone running for senate in Texas....not about Ted Cruz....and, as you told me a week or so ago, you have your wall to get your message across & have fun...sooooo
ME: JG this guy is running against Ted Cruz. Which is why Ted Cruz's past is relevant, if you're going to judge this guy for his past.
ME: (link to To Win Texas, Beto O'Rourke Is Running To The Left)

AJ: Apples and wrenches when comparing these two. One got caught with beer, the other is an actual criminal. But let’s use this comparison to further our baseless agenda. 🙄
ME: AJ yeah, that sounds about right.
AJ: unfortunately, it does.

GR: Most folks feel there is somewhat of a difference between breaking and entering and being caught with beer. What he seems to be doing now is calling himself a different name in order to identify himself with a group of people he isn’t a part of. Why not just go by his own real name then?
LM: I stopped and inspected a sign in a yard. No mention of his true name anywhere on the sign. Just like Cher or Madonna he is running as Beto.
GR: Veto Beto
ME: Why doesn't Rafael? Because people are interesting. They have nicknames that stick. They have backstories of substance. (link to PolitiFact: Why Rafael Cruz goes by Ted and Robert…)
GR: It’s ok. I never expected you to agree this Beto guy is just trying to snooker people 😆 lol.
ME: GR I'm genuinely not trying to pick a fight or anything, but what is the difference between Cruz and O'Rourke? Neither of them use their birth names in the political sphere. What's the difference? Why is one guy a fraud and the other guy isn't?
GR: I think most people get where I’m at here, honestly. Trying to tap into a segment of the population these days to try to win an election. It’s trying to attract the Hispanic vote by adjusting how you are perceived by name. Right now with everything so divided I think it’s pretty obvious if you are willing to see it. But that’s it, you have to be willing to see it and call it what it is. If you are looking to defend a guy because of his party you won’t. That’s all I’m going to say on that, I think it’s pretty clear.
ME: GR if you read the article that I posted, you see the kid was wearing a "Beto" shirt back in like 1st grade. I'm literally not taking one side over the other, I'm just trying to point out that both dudes have done exactly the same thing that y'all are pointing out but y'all are only focusing on one guy. Both dudes committed Petty crimes when they were younger, both dudes chose to change their names, but only one guy is being called a fraud here. I'm just curious why. I guess because he's running as a Democrat?
GR: think what you will. What do you think about Keith Ellison and the accusations of abuse? Yet he’s still chosen as candidate by the party for attorney general. Are you unhappy about that? Or can you defend that? I have yet to see you honestly denounce a democrat for anything, but you are always the first to post negatively on a Republican. It’s difficult to consider you unbiased. Most of the time I don’t say anything either way, only occasionally. Have a good afternoon, we won’t be able to convince each other anyway.
ME: GR say what you will about my entire posting history, even though I've called out crazy Democrats as well as Republicans. I'm literally just asking in this particular example why one person's choices are different than the others. No deflection, no escalating, we have one person running against another, they both have made name changes and been arrested for crimes, so why is one different?
If I really wanted to escalate this, I'd ask if you were cool with all of Trump's alleged crimes. But then that would be silly.
GR: I’m done here. Just don’t try to convince me you’re unbiased. I noticed you didn’t answer my question.
ME: GR I literally don't know enough about Keith Ellison to comment, except that I know that these were things discussed and brought up over years and were investigated and no arrests were made. It was apparently a long-term relationship that ended badly, but I don't have any insight to know if an actual crime was committed. So it's really irresponsible for me to comment.
In this instance, we have concrete evidence of both issues, the name changes and criminal records, so with public facts and evidence we should be able to have a reasonable discussion. Not even sure where bias comes into play, considering we've acknowledged that Beto changed his name and was arrested for crimes. I'm just wondering why that's different then Cruz's name change and arrest.
GR: I already answered you at the beginning with my opinions on what the difference was. You may not have noticed that. I’m disappointed however that you decline to call out that guy and fail to believe the poor woman. Ended badly, wow that’s quite a dodge! Anyway, goodnight, no hard feelings.
ME: GR So you are on board with the whole #metoo movement? That's great to hear! Kind of hard to square with supporting the president, but whatever! Have a great night!

JG: I find it lame that a person has to always attach an article to something they post....to me it means , they have no opinion & rely on something else to speak for them
ME: I do it to differentiate fact from opinion. You may not want to believe what I have to say, but hopefully the inclusion of fact will aid in the conversation.
JG: you put in a person that had a beer underage....every person I know has done that...death penalty
ME: JG I was just pointing out that both Cruz and O'Rourke had done stupid stuff when they were younger. How you choose to quantify their crimes is your decision. I was just wondering why one person committing petty crimes is worse than another, and I included the article in case people didn't know about Cruz's past.
JG: the other person’s were a little more than petty...but, hey, what do I know....I didn’t attach an article next to it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m not sure what we’re meant to take away from that exchange.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
D = ALWAYS EVIL!
R = NO BIG DEAL

I just was trying to get anyone in the exchange to admit it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Eh, without any other details, B&E sounds worse than minor in possession. You should have pressed them harder on how his particular B&E was as no big deal than Rafael boozing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Subjunctive posted:

I’m not sure what we’re meant to take away from that exchange.

That you can't get through to people in a cult of personality would be my take away.