Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

Wait, ND / SodaPop had goodwill? First I've heard of it...

Looks like I'm going to be suffering my first failure myself, the Dark Age Outpost. Creator seems to have gone silent and previous updates were about how he was getting screwed over by the mould makers drastically increasing their fees from the original quotes. AFAIK it hasn't even entered production yet and is years late.
same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The_Doctor posted:

The longest I’ve waited is for the Deep Space D-6 one, but as someone said, they’re doing regular updates so I’m not too bothered.

I also backed that one, but it's not the project bothering me - I backed one by Hasslefree miniatures, and after lengthy delays, they finally started sending minis out in January. Except, lots of people got a shipping notice and never received anything, and after repeated queries, and finally an update from them suggesting all was well, things are posted, send us an email if you still have issues, Hasslefree has gone radio silent for two months on KS and on socials. Really starting to look like I'll never get my shamans and berserkers.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've got a handful of dud kickstarters, but I think all of them are software-based, and from that period when nobody had any idea what they were doing. Disappointing, but oh well.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think the only KS I've really backed that actively failed was the Deck of Legends, and I got my money back on that so that's fine.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Bieeanshee posted:

I've got a handful of dud kickstarters, but I think all of them are software-based, and from that period when nobody had any idea what they were doing. Disappointing, but oh well.

I know how you feel. Though some may have pulled out of that hole.

We Happy Few, Star Citizen, to name a few :negative:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Star Citizen is never getting out of the hole. The hole is its home.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Mors Rattus posted:

I think the only KS I've really backed that actively failed was the Deck of Legends, and I got my money back on that so that's fine.

You're one of the few who did.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

What's the most recent news on Star Citizen, anyway? Two of my tabletop buddies gave money to it and will defend it to the ends of the earth despite the obvious prior issues.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mors Rattus posted:

This is [it's] hole. This hole belongs to [Star Citizen].

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

NGDBSS posted:

What's the most recent news on Star Citizen, anyway? Two of my tabletop buddies gave money to it and will defend it to the ends of the earth despite the obvious prior issues.

Still a scam.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
RIP Barkley 2

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

NGDBSS posted:

Did you hear about how some months ago they opened up a new tier of buy-in where you get every reward from all other funding drives, and it costs $27,000?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

NickRoweFillea posted:

RIP Barkley 2

One of my friends had this as his first and only Kickstarter.

:rip:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

One of my friends had this as his first and only Kickstarter.

:rip:

What's the story with Barkley 2? Wasn't a goon tied up in making that or something?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Zark the Damned posted:

Wait, ND / SodaPop had goodwill? First I've heard of it...

Looks like I'm going to be suffering my first failure myself, the Dark Age Outpost. Creator seems to have gone silent and previous updates were about how he was getting screwed over by the mould makers drastically increasing their fees from the original quotes. AFAIK it hasn't even entered production yet and is years late.

I remember that one. Super-samey wood walls and towers and such, with a ton of overpromising. I almost backed it. I just checked, apparently it updated today, something about how he's still working on it, and a mad backer called his work to try and get him fired.

Nice.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

Did you hear about how some months ago they opened up a new tier of buy-in where you get every reward from all other funding drives, and it costs $27,000?

But you had to pay $1,000 to unlock the ability to pay $27,000 and no I'm not joking.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So far only Deck of Legends has gone completely tits-up for me.

I was one of the lucky ones to get my Cthulhu Writhing Dark playing card deck.

Otherwise, Project: Dark is my most-delayed one right now.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Part of me is extremely pleased the unasked for 7th Sea board game still hasn't funded, and this is the second attempt. If showing it off at Gen Con didn't get it funded it is sunk.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm happy to report I got out of that hole. Made a small profit to sink into less stupid KS :v:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Part of me is extremely pleased the unasked for 7th Sea board game still hasn't funded, and this is the second attempt. If showing it off at Gen Con didn't get it funded it is sunk.
Oh it's close. I'm sure it will make it. Still gotta be a letdown after the million dollar take for the rpg.

Speaking of - that 7th Sea 2e RPG? It's gotta be my biggest gaming disappointment in the past decade. That, or Mutant Crawl Classics, but I could at least see myself playing the latter.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

dwarf74 posted:

Oh it's close. I'm sure it will make it. Still gotta be a letdown after the million dollar take for the rpg.

Speaking of - that 7th Sea 2e RPG? It's gotta be my biggest gaming disappointment in the past decade. That, or Mutant Crawl Classics, but I could at least see myself playing the latter.

What disappointed you about 7th Sea 2e?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

LeSquide posted:

For me? The rules.

Wick does pretty decent settings, but the 2e rules were rushed to print and have some serious flaws that will never, ever get fixed because he defaults to 'the rules just support the drama, your GM should fix them'.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LeSquide posted:

The entire rules system.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

NGDBSS posted:

The Star Citizen recap thread is a pretty good way of keeping up with it.

Basically it's still a scam.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

poo poo I might back this new Legacy thing so I can get my grubby hands on new settings. I'm kicking myself for not doing that for 2e core because I ended up getting Rhapsody of Blood separate and that whole shebang has been one of the best campaigns I've run recently (even if we're ignoring some of the mechanics).

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

LeSquide posted:

I have been playing 7th Sea second edition almost since the pdf first came out, and yeah while it is a ton of fun and I like it OK the rules could be way better. It is exactly why I think every Kickstarter should release a let's play of the designer actually playing the game with experienced players. It is just very unclear how the gently caress anything is actually supposed to function.

Another big disappointment that is more subtle is that the source books have so little substance. While beautiful there is actually very little information about anything beyond the broadest strokes of the particular topic. Do you want several full page spreads for npcs you will almost certainly never encounter? Or stuff like a Vesten tavern keeper who is one of the main npcs in the Montaigne section?

If you are new to the setting you will learn almost nothing, and setting the War of the Cross over 30 years ago is also weird. Eisen is still way too shell shocked about a thing that happened over a generation ago.

Still, at 65 bucks for everything I have gotten it is a great value.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

dwarf74 posted:

What disappointed you about Mutant Crawl Classics, then?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I've never had a trad game Kickstarter fail to deliver. Rocket Ranger Reloaded did, but Cinemaware gave refunds. Sword of Fargoal 2 sort of failed (the dev hosed off to do Death Road to Canada), but apparently it made it to mobile platforms and there was at least a playable beta of the PC version.

Apart from that, I'm only waiting on the massively overdue Reformation CD box set and Reformation 2. But Matt Gray has been very up front with all the problems and has constantly supplied WIPs of the tracks.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I kick-started the new paranoia. Yeah. The bad one.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I've never had a kickstarter not deliver but I've 100% had a bunch that I regretted getting in the end.

I have London Dread and Archmage still sitting in shrink because I've realised they aren't quite my thing but reselling boardgames is a huge pita.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I lost money to Up Front! along with eveyone else who backed it.

Which was weird because AFAIK it was essentially a reprint.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

moths posted:

I lost money to Up Front! along with eveyone else who backed it.

Which was weird because AFAIK it was essentially a reprint.

Expanded reprint, new publisher. There was a story behind it as well, but I don't remember it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm out some money on the Deck of Legends which I thiiiiink might actually have been my first goon Kickstarter so lol owned, me. And unfortunately Last Stand: Reinforcements as well. Even though it's posted some updates somewhat recently, I suppose I'd consider Broken World to also be a wash at this point given that it's like three years overdue and a quick check shows that the creator is having health issues. So those three out of about 50 projects, so I'm doing okay.

Also the Sigmata guy, now that he's no longer trying to collect money, has posted not just one but two interviews where he makes it clear that he thinks anyone who has a problem with the conceit of his game is a shortsighted idiot and also a concern troll:

quote:

2) One of the first things that struck me about the world you have created is the diversity of groups which make up the Resistance, especially since some seem antithetical to each other. How did you decide to include the radical left, libertarian militias, Evangelical Christians, and the wealthiest Americans as the opponents of fascism?

If it feels totally wrong, you're my target audience. As part of the game's exploration of how tyrannies defeat people movements, I thought it would be fun and instructive to create an imaginary popular front so disorienting and discomforting to players in real life that their biases would bleed into the gaming fiction. Divide and conquer is Tyranny 101. Even though it's not a secret, we all fall for it. Some folks seriously stopped reading as soon as they read the line about factions, only to race to Twitter and concern troll about it. The militias, evangelicals, and business people would support fascism, they'd insist. Yes, certainly some would. Maybe even a lot of them. Thing is, it's pretty natural to think of these groups as monolithic blocks when it comes to politics... "the" Evangelicals, for example, or "the" radical Left. But these groups are, themselves, extraordinarily diverse. We can quote statistics all day to reinforce our biases (e.g. 80% of [insert group] voted for [insert candidate]). But there's another way of looking at those statistics: *only* 80%? You mean 1 out of every 5 of them is a Resistance sympathizer who is on the inside already, primed to counter-recruit and/or sabotage at the Resistance's behest? Why wouldn't you break bread with these folks? I mean, other than you want to lose. Westerners often look at the very messy struggles happening all over the world, aghast that sectarianism continues to serve the interests of the some of the most brutal and vile regimes in history. Then they go high-five each other while posting memes alienating the very men and women who could very well be their brothers and sisters in arms if push came to shove.

quote:

Come on, folks. Meet me halfway. You’re totally fine with the cyborgs, but there’s no way that libertarians would break bread with communists, and to propose that makes me a centrist?

What a fuckin wiener.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
It's a genuine struggle for me to not line-by-line that statement, it is so wrong. I said it before and I'll probably end up saying it again: the guy does not know enough about politics to write a game about politics. :sigh:

Anyway, regarding my Kickstarter failures... I'm doing alright, actually. Backed a load of video games which are probably never going to manifest, but since I only ever go in on those for $10-$15 I'm not too fussed. I'm willing to lose that much on a gamble here and there.

RPG-wise, Stab City! dropped off the face of the earth years ago, which is a shame because the basic premise was pretty cool.

I thought Noir World was dead in the water too but the creator's still answering questions on the KS page as of six days ago so that's still rolling along.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Man, Stab City, there's a blast from the past. "I spent all your money on a pizza party (not really though, j/k)" followed by vanishing off the face of the earth may not be in Star Citizen's league but it's still pretty hilarious.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Didn't Noir World actually deliver on the PDFs, at least? I could swear I read them a while back.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I feel bad for the Up Front! effortpost I made here. I just thought it looked like a really fun WW2 game.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

unseenlibrarian posted:

Didn't Noir World actually deliver on the PDFs, at least? I could swear I read them a while back.

They're not in my DTRPG library -- which doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I don't have them.

Noirlandia dropped some time ago, as did Exuviae which has some pretty cool noirish styling. Got both of them.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
They're in Backerkit digital downloads, not as DTRPG codes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Tech Noir is kind of a weird case because the game itself delivered as did one of the stretch goals, then the rest of the stretch goals never manifested and as far as I know the designer's never popped up again.