Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Witcher is a very bad series but gwent is ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Vakal posted:

The combat system in Dragon's Dogma has kind of ruined all other monster hunting types games for me forever.

Seriously, that game is like an inverse Witcher where I'm willing to forgive everything else being mediocre because the combat is so goddamn amazing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bioware romances, where you either give people their favorite presents until they gently caress you, or sexually harass people under your command? I think that's creepier. The cards are just being honest about video games pokemonesque gently caress mechanics lol

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Over There posted:

yee. I tried so hard to like it but it was so boring

The Monster Hunter titles require a specific kind of autism that I apparently possess, but I totally understand the lack of appeal if you aren't in the target audience for that sort of thing. That said, Monster Hunter is a game built on repetition and pattern recognition and it still feels more unique and less samey than The Division, one of the worst games I've ever played.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The characters in Bioware RPGs have gotten uglier with each game released.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Does this also mean they keep nude trading cards of all their old girlfriends if they're a dude? Or a big old stack of them to hand out to anyone they sleep with if they're a lady?

Seriously. For all the praise the witcher series gets, that mechanic was unsettling and it kind of kills any interest in the series at all for me. I mean, that poo poo's worse than bioware romances.

Definitely don't play the first game because it's bad, but the witcher 3 is really great and stands on its own, like the prior two games don't even need to exist really

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

IDONTPOST posted:

Monster Hunter World sucks rear end and I’m going to assume that all the rest of the games are trash as well.

I usually post something along the lines of "it's not for me" on the forums for the sake of diplomacy, but in reality/thread context I think Monster Hunter is one of the most boring game series ever. I've given it more tries than it ever deserved too. I don't understand how people enjoy that poo poo at all, but to each his own or whatever.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 15, 2018

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Chomp8645 posted:

:agreed:

Like I respect people's opinion and if they enjoy it then great. But man, I do not get it AT ALL. The gameplay is incredibly slow and boring, the story is complete nonsense, and the monster fights are like Dark Souls but if every object weighed a thousand pounds and was placed on ice (without ice skates).

The only good things are the eating scenes and the little cats who call you Meowster.

The slow weapons feel heavy because they can do poo poo like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1DPTD7TAaU but there are much much faster weapons, and basically if every weapon was fast as hell there wouldn't be any that really feel weighty, which some people like. I tend to like the slower weapons myself, but dual blades is just running around doing cartwheels down a monster's spine and poo poo like a circular saw blade

Basically a lot of the game is making builds that you can't do at all until you've put a few tens of hours in, and I suppose that's all in the nature of the whole game, fights take a long time but have satisfying finishes, and you can want an item and go get it directly without having to rely on RNG dropping the item for you outright. So that's cool, if someone's into that.

The story is absolutely ridiculous though yeah. Like, after the last boss of the story, the commander basically gathers everyone around and tells them great job, you can go home now... if you're a pussy

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

http://news.cision.com/thq-nordic-ab/r/thq-nordic-acquires-timesplitters,c2592484

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The Witcher 3 is insanely overrated and has really bad gameplay

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I wanted to like Witcher 3 since nerds crowed online about how AMAZING it was

But it was just kind of ok? Weighed down heavily by poo poo gameplay and everything taking too long. I had played for what felt like a billion hours when my main quest consisted of fighting an aborted baby ghost or whatever and I just didn't give a poo poo

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Once I got out of the main city in Witcher 3 it really stuck and I was enjoying it immensely. Before that I had to force myself to play it. Once I played the DLC it went down as one of my favorites.

e: not for the gameplay, but the stories for the quests.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

signalnoise posted:

The slow weapons feel heavy because they can do poo poo like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1DPTD7TAaU but there are much much faster weapons, and basically if every weapon was fast as hell there wouldn't be any that really feel weighty, which some people like.

Once again in Dragon Dogma land- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2afH5wYR4BY

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

witcher 3 is art

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

bradzilla posted:

You dont play witcher 3. You fast travel everywhere and read/watch the "game".

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Oscar Wild posted:

You dont play witcher 3. You fast travel everywhere and read/watch the "game".

fast travelling everywhere ruins the game, much like TES but moreso because witcher 3 is actually good

games goons also love the fast travel everywhere mod and consider it essential, naturally

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

So 15 seconds charging up a move that just causes the monster to stop abruptly, cool totally what I was talking about, absolutely

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

signalnoise posted:

The slow weapons feel heavy because they can do poo poo like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1DPTD7TAaU but there are much much faster weapons, and basically if every weapon was fast as hell there wouldn't be any that really feel weighty, which some people like. I tend to like the slower weapons myself, but dual blades is just running around doing cartwheels down a monster's spine and poo poo like a circular saw blade

Basically a lot of the game is making builds that you can't do at all until you've put a few tens of hours in, and I suppose that's all in the nature of the whole game, fights take a long time but have satisfying finishes, and you can want an item and go get it directly without having to rely on RNG dropping the item for you outright. So that's cool, if someone's into that.

The story is absolutely ridiculous though yeah. Like, after the last boss of the story, the commander basically gathers everyone around and tells them great job, you can go home now... if you're a pussy

This looks like floaty, unresponsive garbage.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

This Monster Hunter thing is unresponsive garbage.

But I repeat myself!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Petition to rename Lost Izalith to the "The Monster Hunter Zone".

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Vakal posted:

The combat system in Dragon's Dogma has kind of ruined all other monster hunting types games for me forever.

I know Dragon's Dogma sucked rear end but that doesn't mean you can't give other games in the genre a chance

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’ve never played Dragon’s Dogma but from pictures and how I’ve heard people talk about it I got the impression that it’s a little like if you took Dark Souls and mixed it with Down’s syndrome.

Confirm/Deny from people who’ve played it?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

fruit on the bottom posted:

I’ve never played Dragon’s Dogma but from pictures and how I’ve heard people talk about it I got the impression that it’s a little like if you took Dark Souls and mixed it with Down’s syndrome.

I was convinced to try it by people who compare it to Dark Souls. My best guess is there either exists some yet unaccounted for condition that's like video game version of tone deafness, or then those people never actually played DS.

if you only looked at screenshots you might think they are similar but if you actually play them oh god no

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

fruit on the bottom posted:

It's an ok game that could be great if it wasn't bogged down by weird character development decisions, having to unlock fast travel points later in the game, and the loving pawn system. Dark Arisen improves on it tremendously but the game has some problems; I suspect Capcom didn't want to make the game TOO good or else it would infringe on Monster Hunter's success.

I think I might play DD forever if it had multiplayer and the stupid pawn system got ripped out.

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
Dragon's Dogma was a fun game for beating up monsters, but the npc inclination system was really bad. Over the course of the game, your partner would turn even dumber than they already were if you did innocuous things. Things like picking up items when there were any enemies around (so they would get distracted by all the crap dropping off monsters), or asking them to come over to help you (meaning they wouldn't attack anything more than 5 feet away from you). The only way to fix them was to buy a bunch of expensive potions. Also, 95% of the people playing don't know about this stuff either, so you just have to pray that the npcs you hire aren't totally stupid and passive.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Yes the slowest weapon in the game does require you to be deliberate about what you're doing

But ya know to each their own. I was just postin cause dude said he didn't get it. There are definitely much faster weapons that have shorter animations, this is the slowest one and it rewards you with big hits that send monsters stumbling around and whatnot. If you don't understand the appeal that's fine, but if you're complaining about not understanding it while actively trying not to, then that sounds like you just like having stuff to complain about

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bradzilla posted:

The gameplay is admittedly not great, but the game is good despite it

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Lilac, and goozbarrys

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

I stopped playing MHW when my friends wanted to do the same tedious fights over and over to get trex boots or whatever the gently caress. poo poo is an MMO with no metagame light at the end of the tunnel

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The best soccer game ever made is fifa street 2

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

Lilac, and goozbarrys

My favorite scent that I've never smelt

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

IDONTPOST posted:

poo poo is an MMO with no metagame light at the end of the tunnel

This is essentially the complaint to have if you genuinely just don't like the game. Everything centers around the fights themselves, and for people who like how the fights play, everything else about the game supports that core gameplay by giving you access to new skills for a build that works however you feel like. Fights are dynamic, and there's no real end to progression as it just goes as you acquire new gear that further broadens options. I dunno what "metagame light" you're talking about with MMOs, but if you're talking about having lots of options available for builds to be more effective, that's absolutely there.

However, since the whole game centers around the fight, while maybe you could get a build that alleviates interruptions or has a better moveset or whatever, that suits your playstyle, if you don't like the combat system itself then you won't like the game as a whole, and that's okay

My unpopular opinion to contribute here is that it's okay to not like a liked game

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I really dislike Diablo (2+3)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Over There posted:

I really dislike Diablo (2+3)

I really don't care for the over-game of Diablo or Diablo types. It's just pointless, endless grinding.

On the other hand, the moment to moment gameplay is smooth and can be enjoyable and not horrible stilted jank, so it's better than Monster Hunter!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

AGGGGH BEES posted:

The characters in Bioware RPGs have gotten uglier with each game released.

Inquisition's creepy greasy faces mixed with pores you could swim in.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

When people play a game together that none of them are particularly interested in but play anyway because they want to play something together, and they keep playing that game they don't like because it's impossible to get the whole group to want to migrate to play a new game all at the same time, that is actually the worst video gaming experience of all

If you are the guy who convinces your friends to "keep at it" because "it gets really fun" when they are only playing that game because you won't play something else, then you're really bad

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

signalnoise posted:

When people play a game together that none of them are particularly interested in but play anyway because they want to play something together, and they keep playing that game they don't like because it's impossible to get the whole group to want to migrate to play a new game all at the same time, that is actually the worst video gaming experience of all

If you are the guy who convinces your friends to "keep at it" because "it gets really fun" when they are only playing that game because you won't play something else, then you're really bad

I agree, all MMOs and mobas are poo poo

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

signalnoise posted:

Remember this when you are logging on to play MHW with your friends.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

1redflag posted:

Yea but actually I like that game as do the people I play it with so :shrug:

Also if we're havin' a bad time in it we play something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

1redflag posted:

:eyepop: