Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

The Scientist posted:

In the movie Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, where the f did the giant space probe come from, and why didn't the movie even attempt to address that?

Otherwise, the movie was awesome.

It came from the mysterious depths of space my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I had a dream I took Janeway to the 2013 Auburn-Alabama football game on the holodeck.

I had two tickets and Tom Paris, who's idea it was, had to cancel, so I asked her if she'd like to go.

Why would I have tickets to a holodeck game.

Yes, that's the sole question you should be asking in this scenario.

The Scientist posted:

In the movie Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, where the f did the giant space probe come from, and why didn't the movie even attempt to address that?

Otherwise, the movie was awesome.

Answered above, but this is good old-fashioned Star Trek. Space is big, mysterious, and dangerous, and you'd better get used to it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Sash! posted:

Yeah it's not like "we would be honored if you would join us" wasn't a Bond villain level one liner.

Honestly, as much as I may loathe the prequels, imagining Vader as still being this emotionally stunted dude with a traumatic childhood who's desperate for people to think he's awesome even when he's middle-aged does kind of make some of his original trilogy scenes hilarious.

Especially the entire Luke fight in ESB.

I mean, he's showing off, and quipping like crazy the entire fight, just imagine it running through his head throughout the whole thing, how cool his son is going to think he is, how he's totally going to join him when he realizes this witty badass is his dad, and how all his one-liners are TOTALLY amazing.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

skasion posted:

It really depends on how you look at it. The prevailing feeling within the production at the time was that the show had not been good so far and that changes needed to be made (and were). The result is in some ways more entertaining but also sillier and more frustrating, which is saying a lot given how the show was to begin with. It fixes some big problems but that exposes the ones it doesn’t fix in a really glaring way. The big saving grace of the second half of the show is Seven of Nine, but the other side of that is that it virtually becomes the Seven of Nine show at times.

Seven: good character, great actress, totally embarrassing to watch in that catsuit as a grown rear end man in 2018.

Middle seasons of Voyager are good when they focus on more self-contained character episodes. Also they introduced some decent villains with the Hirogen.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
All things considered, the fourth and fifth seasons of Voyager weren't too bad so there's stuff to look forward to. IMO it really turns to poo poo in the sixth and seventh seasons

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
what purpose would it even serve to have an option to turn off the holodeck safeties

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Some times you just gotta' shoot some borg with light bullets.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Low Desert Punk posted:

what purpose would it even serve to have an option to turn off the holodeck safeties

Gotta feel alive by risking being dead.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Low Desert Punk posted:

Shooting up Borg with a holographic tommygun, of course!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The improbability drive is purely for entertainment purposes only. Break the glass for additional entertainment.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lol

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Also they introduced some decent villains with the Hirogen.
I don't disagree with anything you said but the Hirogen are a fantastic example of Voyager taking a cool premise and :effort:ing it into something totally bland

Low Desert Punk posted:

Running some sort of experiment probably. It's not like ensign nobody can turn them off, doesn't it require engineering or command overrides? It should. I assume there are a second level of safeties you can't turn off so no one makes a holonuke and blows up the ship

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I have fun trying to measure up Discovery and the Cage to the earlier part of the Kelvin timeline since they pretty much run concurrently. Quinto's Spock it would seem had to grow up a bit faster (if 2009 happens in 2258 he is markedly different from the Cage Spock of 2254). They've said the Spock we're getting isn't fully formed yet, so seeing how Peck's Spock stacks with Quinto should be interesting.

Similarly, the Klingon War of 2256-2257 is butt up against Admiral Marcus's fears of a Klingon invasion in 2259, which was probably delayed a bit by the whole Nero incident. Suddenly he doesn't seem like such a crazy rear end in a top hat when you see poo poo like what happened at Starbase 1 in that one episode where like a hundred thousand people were straight up murdered Wrath of Khan style on the space station.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Low Desert Punk posted:

BDSM Dungeon program 1 just wouldn't be the same if you couldn't feel the whip

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Yes, that's the sole question you should be asking in this scenario.

Answered above, but this is good old-fashioned Star Trek. Space is big, mysterious, and dangerous, and you'd better get used to it.

Hey when Voyager came out she was 41, same age as my wife now, and imo a very attractive woman. Nothing weird about dreaming of dating Janeway. Star Trek needs more Janeways and Nechayevs.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Low Desert Punk posted:

I’m more concerned about random warp plasma conduits just chilling six inches behind civilian areas. Like one crack in an unfortunate location, and you could be vaporized to hell while taking a space dump.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Drink-Mix Man posted:

In a similar vein, check out the contortions they go through to make "11:59" exciting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlnzatGpUAY

“Dark Seduction Week”?!

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

HD DAD posted:

I’m more concerned about random warp plasma conduits just chilling six inches behind civilian areas. Like one crack in an unfortunate location, and you could be vaporized to hell while taking a space dump.

Plasma conduits are part of a secret Federation depopulation initiative. :ssh:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

“Dark Seduction Week”?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_pCLl6HmdA

themed syndication package, looks like

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Hey when Voyager came out she was 41, same age as my wife now, and imo a very attractive woman. Nothing weird about dreaming of dating Janeway. Star Trek needs more Janeways and Nechayevs.

How about dreaming of Star Trek in the first place? I'd be worried even if it weren't Voyager.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh my god, Anovos, you mad lads. Only $1500!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ha, they changed it.

https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1029740645479600128

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus those loving pockets

I need to carry six bricks but keep them separated and secure...

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Oh, it was just Voyager? I assumed it was a general week of programmes with a “borderline rape” theme. I’m not sure if it just being Voyager is better though. At least it looks like most of the episodes don’t play into the theme in the slightest. Who could possibly see 11:59 or that Sulu episode and think “yes, dark seduction”?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

To the episode where someone nearly dies because of the thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

that Sulu episode and think “yes, dark seduction”?

Oh, helloooooo

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Allegedly.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Help my Wednesday has malfunctioned

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I finished season one of "Enterprise." I'd seen most of it before, but barely remembered anything. It was fine. Some terrible episodes, some bland ones, a few really good ones. I love Scott Bakula, but whenever he tries to act tough, it does not work.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Help my Wednesday has malfunctioned

Did you even try re-polarizing the inverse phase modulators?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Comrade Fakename posted:

Oh, it was just Voyager? I assumed it was a general week of programmes with a “borderline rape” theme. I’m not sure if it just being Voyager is better though. At least it looks like most of the episodes don’t play into the theme in the slightest. Who could possibly see 11:59 or that Sulu episode and think “yes, dark seduction”?

Which is kind of funny, because Voyager seemed absolutely rife with actual terrible seduction plots not included in that promo. Off the top of my head:

-That one where Janeway and the anti-telepath Nazi seduce one another
-That one with Harry Kim on the polyamory planet
-Seven gets not-raped
-Most things involving Seska
-That one where Tuvok falls in love with a hologram
-That one where Paris gets seduced by a sentient spaceship
-The one where the Doctor gets seduced into the medical dark side by that Mengele-like Cardassian
-The one where Janeway fucks an Irish hologram

And so on.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Which is kind of funny, because Voyager seemed absolutely rife with actual terrible seduction plots not included in that promo. Off the top of my head:

-Seven gets not-raped
-The one where the Doctor gets seduced into the medical dark side by that Mengele-like Cardassian

And so on.

A lot of these sound like they were generated at random via plot algorithm. It’s almost TNG S8 Twitter level.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I also forgot about any number of episodes where the crew get mentally seduced by alien forces presenting them with an opportunity to live their innermost fantasies. With or without fantasy loving.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They were trying so hard to make Voyager sexy without bothering to make any of the characters sexy. They thought they were sexy but... They just weren't sexy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I’ll have you know Harry Kim is one of the sexiest men alive

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

They were trying so hard to make Voyager sexy without bothering to make any of the characters sexy. They thought they were sexy but... They just weren't sexy.

evil Kate Mulgrew haunts my most lurid lesbian fantasies

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So...”Yesterday’s Enterprise”...the bleak, dystopian alternate timeline where the Federation is at war with the klingons and everything is dark and blue and lit for high contrast...seemed familiar.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

-Seven gets not-raped

And so on.

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOHb-YJEA5I

includes "prime factors", not 11:59,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOHb-YJEA5I

includes "prime factors", not 11:59,

"[...]Voyager: it's going to be a bumpy ride!"