Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kobayashi posted:

I think “this heat wave” is just one first domestically visible effects of climate change.

I mean you're preaching to the choir buddy, I've been saying that to anyone who will listen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Honestly, with this heat wave this should have been expected sooner or later. California seems to have so much prep for earthquakes and so little for fire.

lol at thinking we have much prep for earthquakes

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

predicto posted:

Oh yeah, especially compared to like, Japan we've got maybe the minimum.

Also Idyllwild is burning and it hasn't had a fire in like a century.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Jaxyon posted:

:(

I went to summer camp a bunch of years up there

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Current weather at Mount Shasta…wait, didn't this webcam used to point at a big mountain? :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

predicto posted:

Our prep is more “become reconciled to the possibility of death at any time”

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

predicto posted:

We have world class earthquake building codes (unless you're grandfathered in of course, or you live in the parts of SF that are just land filler and will literally slide into the bay when the next big one hits) but our actual emergency response network for helping people after the quake has subsided is a goddamn mess, yeah.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The Glumslinger posted:

:(

I went to summer camp a bunch of years up there

I literally heard on the radio about people having to abandon their things at summer camp.

No kidding.

Sydin posted:

We have world class earthquake building codes (unless you're grandfathered in of course,

Highlighted the problem.

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

Kobayashi posted:

I think “this heat wave” is just one first domestically visible effects of climate change.

Yep, this is the new normal (except not even because it will get worse)

And my parents (SoCal natives) were shocked when I told them I wasn't thrilled about moving here because of all the climate threats. I work in the industry so I'm hyperaware.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

There is so much dead wood in the forest up there. This is going to suck.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The Los Angeles DSA chapter is hosting Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez this coming Friday, if anyone is interested.

It's considered a fundraiser for her so you have to donate to ActBlue for a ticket, scaling from 15-50.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

bawfuls posted:

When was the last time an American city this size fell victim to a full on firestorm like this??

Last year. I remember similar hellish vistas during the worst parts of the Tubbs fire.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Yeah, this looks much worse then the Santa Rosa fire, which was bad but mostly hit the outlying areas. If the entire town is being evacuated then that's pretty loving bad.

Looking at the fire's progress, there was a strong west wind on the 26th that pushed the fire east, over parts of the Sacramento River and towards the city center. The wind has since died down, and things look to be holding mostly on the outer parts of the city still but it's easy to see why they called for a citywide evac. on the 26th. Based on how bad things were looking, and if they wind kept up, it might have just plowed through the whole town.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 11, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also, for anyone living in California or the midwest WIFIRE is an amazing tool for viewing and tracking the progress of wildfires. It's a UCSD project that aggregates a bunch of different resources into a single mapping application. It shows some of the most up-to-date perimeters on active fires and the upper right-hand tab has a ton of options for displaying addition info. Most useful are the data from a pair of environmental satellites (VIIRS/MODIS) that display the heat signatures from wildfires and tell you a lot about which directions the fire is moving.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That link doesn’t have anything about the big Cranston fire in Idyllwild for some reason.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ is a pretty good resource too.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Pretty smug that i wont have to take content out of my home to rebuild. My entire neighborhood is underinsured by 200-400k.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FCKGW posted:

That link doesn’t have anything about the big Cranston fire in Idyllwild for some reason.

Huh, weird, it shows up fine for me.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

CPColin posted:

Current weather at Mount Shasta…wait, didn't this webcam used to point at a big mountain? :(

It was like this from lone pine all the way to carson city today

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

The Los Angeles DSA chapter is hosting Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez this coming Friday, if anyone is interested.

It's considered a fundraiser for her so you have to donate to ActBlue for a ticket, scaling from 15-50.

Plus San Francisco on Tuesday. It was originally at El Rio and that sold out in about 6 hours, but there's a venue change and more tickets available.
https://secure.actblue.com/donate/aocsfberniecrats#tickets

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

fermun posted:

Plus San Francisco on Tuesday. It was originally at El Rio and that sold out in about 6 hours, but there's a venue change and more tickets available.
https://secure.actblue.com/donate/aocsfberniecrats#tickets
Sold out, nice!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

awww dammit wish i had seen that before they sold out

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Shear Modulus posted:

awww dammit wish i had seen that before they sold out

Go anyway and start a riot outside Pelosi's office afterwards

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1025849959449600000

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Solidarity with Portland yesterday btw

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Oh no, chemtrails!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Prop 13 changes to commercial properties going up to a vote in 2020

Get ready for a big fight over California's property taxes in 2020

quote:

A big battle over property taxes in California is shaping up for the 2020 ballot.

Supporters of a bid to increase taxes on commercial land announced Tuesday they’ve collected more than 860,000 signatures to force a vote on the issue in two years.

“This is a defining moment for California,” Fred Blackwell, CEO of the San Francisco Foundation, said in a statement. “Closing the commercial property tax loopholes is important to our state.”

Backers, including the California Federation of Teachers, the League of Women Voters and community organization California Calls held news conferences Tuesday in Los Angeles, Berkeley, Fresno, San Diego and San Bernardino to demonstrate support across the state for the idea. Of the signatures turned in to the secretary of State’s office, 585,407 must be deemed valid for the measure to qualify for the November 2020 election.

The initiative would make dramatic changes to the tax system established four decades ago by Proposition 13, which capped how much property tax bills could increase every year. The proposed measure would boost property tax revenues from commercial and industrial properties by assessing them at their current market value. Property tax protections would remain unchanged for residential properties.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FCKGW posted:

Property tax protections would remain unchanged for residential properties.
CA should just change the state motto to FYGM.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

:getin:

Does this have a snowballs chance in hell of passing? I assume going for just commercial property taxes makes the “poor grandma” narrative weaker, but they’ll still spin it as forcing cute little old Mom and pop businesses under.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bawfuls posted:

:getin:

Does this have a snowballs chance in hell of passing? I assume going for just commercial property taxes makes the “poor grandma” narrative weaker, but they’ll still spin it as forcing cute little old Mom and pop businesses under.

It's going to have the same drumbeat of "worst business climate in the nation!" and the power of every wealthy business owner pushing against it, but it's probably the best shot at cracking the Prop 13 nut open somewhat.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I love that “worst business climate in the nation!!” screeching (it’s in that LAT piece too) in a state whose economy has grown faster than the rest of the country for at least the past decade. Us Californians must be pretty awesome at business if we can manage that with such a handicap!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

business climate never meant conducive to high gdp growth it always just meant where business can pay the least taxes and wages

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Prop 13 changes to commercial properties going up to a vote in 2020

Get ready for a big fight over California's property taxes in 2020

:yeshaha:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

CA should just change the state motto to FYGM.

This would change it to a demonstrably less FYGM environment and commerical properties are some of the worst parts of Prop 13 as property can be owned by a corp/trust and never change hands.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
That would be an utterly insane change- companies like Disney pay peanuts in property taxes.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Bastard Tetris posted:

That would be an utterly insane change- companies like Disney pay peanuts in property taxes.

Yeah I fully expect a massive ad blitz trying to scare grandma about her house taxes even though she is specifically not included.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Does the statute apply to residential properties used for a commercial purpose, i.e. to landlords and Airbnb hosts?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Next we just need a change to exclude rental properties from prop 13 which might actually help the real estate market.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

VikingofRock posted:

Does the statute apply to residential properties used for a commercial purpose, i.e. to landlords and Airbnb hosts?

Not clear on the first, but AirBnB is essentially a regulatory loophole so it's likely not even mentioned.

Guessing no on landlords because the goal is to not get regular voters riled up.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Glass of Milk posted:

Next we just need a change to exclude rental properties from prop 13 which might actually help the real estate market.

Wouldn't landlords just pass on the expense to tenants?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Panfilo posted:

Wouldn't landlords just pass on the expense to tenants?
Pearl-clutchers are complaining because the landlords' property value will go down due to the new tax structure, not because their income will be meaningfully affected. Won't somebody think of the rent-seeking speculators' balance sheets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I still don't understand- if their income is unaffected then why do they care how much the house is worth?