Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Merauder posted:

So seriously though, break it down for me? I've never understood why people would be upset about getting exclusives items from a KS. I completely understand finding a game a year after the KS has run and finding out that you've missed a bunch of sucks, that's a total downer. If I were ever to run a KS I'd be very unlikely to have any for that reason, but... yeah, what's the thought process here, since it's a common topic here on the forums? Altruism for future customers?

I, too, only care about problems that affect me me me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It essentially means your Kickstarter is all the money you're ever going to make.

There was a Conan kickstarter a while back and they packed it with a bunch of KS exclusives and then released it to retail and nobody bought it because everyone knew it was an incomplete game. They admitted they lost all their profit on a retail release and won't be doing that again.

Essentially, significant KS exclusives means that your audience becomes KS or nothing.

Yeah, that was Monolith. They realized that was a HUGE mistake when it became a huge string of mistakes when it eventually did hit retail.

They've done well with Batman though.

Kaza42 posted:

Three major reasons

1) Just because something isn't unfair to you doesn't mean you can't object to it on the grounds of being unfair to other people

2) A game with kickstarter exclusives tends to be very frontloaded and is unlikely to get much support in the future

3) If half the content in a game is locked behind exclusives, that makes it very difficult to draw in new players. That means that the community for a game is almost entirely going to be people from the kickstarter, a group which shrinks over time. Even for games you only play with friends, having a large community is good because it keeps up interest and makes continued support for the game more likely.

CMON is able to do this mainly because they know that they're constantly churning out more hype, but otherwise most of their games would fall flat on the floor, forever.

Other companies are trying to fill the same model because they see CMON's success, but not the huge amounts of capital and manufacturing that lets to have such low margins and still turn a huge profit. I've seen a lot of companies try the same thing with "hey look, you get a literal boatload of high quality minis, but they're exclusive to KS only", and then be delayed a year or three because of how their manufacturers suck or have failed them, causing a lot of back and forth on their own dime.

Plus, the way CMON is doing it, they've basically made a closed loop where you can get the exclusives again, just at a ridiculous mark up (excluding the ebay sellers here) by going to their specific con events, spending a buttload of money, getting "vouchers" for every x dollars spent, to be redeemed for a past exclusive. This makes first adopters so rabid for their exclusives, because they know they can hawk a CMON game for literally 150%+ markup, and immediately invest it into the next CMON game for a larger payout.

FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) is such a rampant thing amongst kickstarter people that they're foaming at the mouth even at the hint of an exclusive, because they're easily impressed by a good pledge page, that they'll throw money at it. It's the same reason they're super fickle and will back out of a project when they see that not enough "stretch" goals are being met, and they feel their value threshold doesn't make it; a lot of campaigns will lose anywhere from 3 to 10% of their pledge money because of that at the last stretch.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

It essentially means your Kickstarter is all the money you're ever going to make.

There was a Conan kickstarter a while back and they packed it with a bunch of KS exclusives and then released it to retail and nobody bought it because everyone knew it was an incomplete game. They admitted they lost all their profit on a retail release and won't be doing that again.

Essentially, significant KS exclusives means that your audience becomes KS or nothing.
While there's definitely examples of that (Conan being a great one), there's plenty of games which have gone on to have life at retail post-KS despite the use of campaign exclusive hooks. Zombicide is a good example of that, from the granddaddy of KS exclusives. Blood Rage and Rising Sun as well. Surely wouldn't be too difficult to find other examples. I think if a game stands alone well enough (albeit Zombicide still makes me scratch my head as to how it's done so well), exclusives, while annoying, doesn't inherently kill your product's future.

Kaza42 posted:

Three major reasons

1) Just because something isn't unfair to you doesn't mean you can't object to it on the grounds of being unfair to other people

2) A game with kickstarter exclusives tends to be very frontloaded and is unlikely to get much support in the future

3) If half the content in a game is locked behind exclusives, that makes it very difficult to draw in new players. That means that the community for a game is almost entirely going to be people from the kickstarter, a group which shrinks over time. Even for games you only play with friends, having a large community is good because it keeps up interest and makes continued support for the game more likely.
1. Yeah this is definitely true, which is basically the only reasoning I could really come to whenever I see people complain about stuff they can personally still get. It's a principle thing, which I respect, but seems like an easy thing to shrug off and hardly worth digging one's heels in over, in my eyes.
2. Examples of this? Not sure I follow your implication.
3. My experience with board games in the last 8-10 years is quite different from that of a lifestyle game like a TCG or Miniatures game. Yeah, the publisher of course wants to continue selling their game to more players, but building a "community" around it is rarely a factor, at the publisher or consumer level. Like, I picked up Rising Sun when it hit retail because I enjoyed the game, but not because there was a community of people who also all had copies to play with. I don't need a bunch of people to own the same board game as me to own it, so even if KS exclusives do narrow your audience (surely they will to a degree, I don't disagree there), I don't really see this point being an issue.

tl;dr: As I mentioned I think they're kind of lovely to do in the long term for your customers who miss out on them, but :shrug:, doesn't seem like that big a deal from my eyes.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Stonemeier games also had blowback from the Euphoria kickstarter since it cames with much better components than the retail version. New players were turned off by that fact and it's the reason they don't do big exclusives anymore.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also $240 for everything seems like a lot. Even with the KS exclusives being given relative values.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

kinkouin posted:

Cashing in on the Nostalgia wagon, but this just dropped:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/165626423/power-rangers-heroes-of-the-grid-board-game/

I just want a ton of Megazords :toot:

I was going to say that Power Rangers is still ongoing, but they're clearly focused on the season 1 cast for some reason?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I’m so glad that I’m not enticed by miniatures anymore because it just adds unnecessary cost to mediocre games most of the time.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Merauder posted:

While there's definitely examples of that (Conan being a great one), there's plenty of games which have gone on to have life at retail post-KS despite the use of campaign exclusive hooks. Zombicide is a good example of that, from the granddaddy of KS exclusives. Blood Rage and Rising Sun as well. Surely wouldn't be too difficult to find other examples. I think if a game stands alone well enough (albeit Zombicide still makes me scratch my head as to how it's done so well), exclusives, while annoying, doesn't inherently kill your product's future.

Yes that's why I said "significant" exclusives. Conan failed because critical characters from the stories were locked forever behind KS exclusivity, which meant that the game alienated the very people that would care about the license. poo poo like that. "A scary samurai with a cool sword" is not significant to most people.

It's also real telling that your 3 examples are all from the same company.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 15, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

DalaranJ posted:

I was going to say that Power Rangers is still ongoing, but they're clearly focused on the season 1 cast for some reason?

MMPR is the season(s) that older fans are attached to (read: the people with jobs and bank accounts and credit cards).

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

jivjov posted:

MMPR is the season(s) that older fans are attached to (read: the people with jobs and bank accounts and credit cards).

Also based on the pledge page it seems like it’s following the comic books vs the TV series. But MMPR is easily 25 years ago for me so I may have missed evil overlord Drakkon from one of the many PR series.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Yes that's why I said "significant" exclusives. Conan failed because critical characters from the stories were locked forever behind KS exclusivity, which meant that the game alienated the very people that would care about the license. poo poo like that. "A scary samurai with a cool sword" is not significant to most people.

It's also real telling that your 3 examples are all from the same company.

Yeah, not wrong there. Same goes for the super limited story piece of the toddler-sized Cthulhu model recently (also CMON, whatdya know!). I haven't looked closely at Renegade's Power Rangers campaign, is there "significant" stuff in there in terms of game play?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Nystral posted:

Also based on the pledge page it seems like it’s following the comic books vs the TV series. But MMPR is easily 25 years ago for me so I may have missed evil overlord Drakkon from one of the many PR series.

Drakkon is the villain from the current mega-crossover arc of the comics. He's literally evil Tommy.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

The only RPG stuff I've backed that hasn't delivered so far are Cortex Prime, Retrocausality, Gattaibushido, Shinobigami and Pirate World.

Out of those, Pirate World is the only one that's dead with the creator gone missing, although Retrocausality is coming close (:v:).

I assume you're waiting on a Pirate World physical book? Because the PDF released. Albeit I don't believe it ever made it as far as going on sale for non-backers.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

DalaranJ posted:

It's because Zyuranger is the best sentai season :colbert:

(I kid; the best sentai season is obviously Carranger)

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

dwarf74 posted:

It feels half-baked. It doesn't seem like much thought at all was put into how the various parts fit together, especially pure-strain humans, but kinda all the classes. Always-On mutations are a mess. There's interesting bits here and there, but it feels shoddy and incomplete compared to DCC.

I have to agree. I'm normally a big DCC booster, but MCC is the most disappointing DCC-related KS I've backed (and I backed Appendix N). The Umerican Survival Guide is in every way superior.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

jivjov posted:

Has the show ever been as big as it was in the first few years? It felt like a huge fad when it came out that faded after a few years, but that may just be because I was no longer 5.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Merauder posted:

I haven't looked closely at Renegade's Power Rangers campaign, is there "significant" stuff in there in terms of game play?

A lot of extra figures and their cards are backer exclusive (several of them stretch goals) as well as some more location boards in the two backer exclusive expansions.

Including the green and white rangers, Scorpina, Lord Zedd, and if it hits 500k Goldar. There's others, but I think those are the big ones.

I'm backing this campaign, because I love Power Rangers, but I honestly think the green ranger shouldn't be backer exclusive. And maybe also let the white ranger expansion actually be released to the public down the line too. Seems kinda not cool to lock a lot of peoples favorite ranger behind being an early backer.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Exclusives suck because the whole point is to create artificial scarcity and scare people into backing now now now. It's kind of the definition of a practice that's good for sellers (at least in the short run) but bad for consumers, so if you're a consumer it makes sense to not like being manipulated like that during the kickstarter campaign or to already have missed out if you pick up the deliberately incomplete package at retail. Obviously I think there are levels of badness, so minor changes that are mostly cosmetic don't seem like a big deal to me since they're closer to being a collector's edition perk or something, but changes that gate gameplay behind exclusives are pretty lovely.

I'm not saying I'd never back a game with exclusives, but all things being equal I'd rather support a publisher who I think is behaving with integrity, and will actively look for reasons not to buy anything with major exclusives. If nothing else, it helps with avoiding impulse purchases based on FOMO. The other thing that helps is realizing there will always be more interesting board games around than I can ever reasonably buy, or will ever have the opportunity to play, so if I miss something cool because I took a negative view of a (likely expensive) game based on exclusives, oh well.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 16, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Moon Monster posted:

Has the show ever been as big as it was in the first few years? It felt like a huge fad when it came out that faded after a few years, but that may just be because I was no longer 5.

Big enough that they literally invented a custom Power Rangers tabletop system and did an audience-participation Twitch thing of it for the 25th anniversary last year.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/power-rangers/268340/power-rangers-hyperforce-twitch-rpg-coming-soon

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Big enough that they literally invented a custom Power Rangers tabletop system and did an audience-participation Twitch thing of it for the 25th anniversary last year.

Have they ever talked about releasing the system?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dawgstar posted:

Have they ever talked about releasing the system?

Apparently they decided there was not enough interest.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Foglet posted:

Or Colossal Hunter (Shadow of the Colossus/Monster Hunter: The TRPG, with multi-tiered combat maps).

man i've wanted this game so bad for so long i've considered writing it myself

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Apparently they decided there was not enough interest.

That's a shame. Maybe they thought they needed something bigger than just a decent PDF which would probably do fine.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

It seems like it went out? Did you ever chase Shawn Pierre?

Nah, life went nuts when it was shipping and I was moving a heap so never really worried about it. Oh wells.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Same, except for the writing it myself bit.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I mean, that's not the worst position to take when selling trad games (though, as noted above it might be bad for the game). It's a niche hobby as is, and each game appeals to an even smaller subniche, it's hard to say that there will be appreciable interest in your game beyond those who would back the Kickstarter. It sucks for anyone who would be interested and doesn't hear about it, but it stops you / retailers from holding the bag on unsold inventory - it's a cutthroat market and few games draw enough interest to continue to move units. Factor in the fact that all of the most likely sales went to the Kickstarter backers needed to produce the game in the first place and there's not a whole lot of reason to expect (material) continuing sales.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kai Tave posted:

Same, except for the writing it myself bit.
Its enemy sheets look like this:

And no idea what THIS is but I know I want some of it:

To be fair, it's highly anime with a lot of the illustrations evoking more of an Attack on Titan feel than SotC, but welp.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 16, 2018

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Foglet posted:

That's a lot more than I could say of some other published products I may own.

Nah, as one of the players on Meikyuu Kingdom, I'll definitely back Gnoll on this. The concept is great. The art is cute. The actual game is basically a hexcrawl where you're choosing which table to roll on or who's going to make a given roll, and it's really stifling.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

lol "No see, I'm wearing a tie so it's business casual."

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Kai Tave posted:

lol "No see, I'm wearing a tie so it's business casual."
Made me literally laugh out loud as well, yeah.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nah, as one of the players on Meikyuu Kingdom, I'll definitely back Gnoll on this. The concept is great. The art is cute. The actual game is basically a hexcrawl where you're choosing which table to roll on or who's going to make a given roll, and it's really stifling.
I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying I could always use it for salvaging neater parts (such as the generators), and for some of the stuff I bought, there's not even that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Foglet posted:

To be fair, it's highly anime with a lot of the illustrations evoking more of an Attack on Titan feel than SotC, but welp.

maybe i just watch enough anime that the big resemblances are drowned out by small differences but i'm not seeing it

the dudes aren't nearly angry enough and the women aren't nearly buff enough for that to look anything like Attack on Titan :v:

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

maybe i just watch enough anime that the big resemblances are drowned out by small differences but i'm not seeing it
I probably thought of that one illustration of the cover dude in a different pose, with the cables/implied flight/hip-mounted machinery. (Strange-looking giant weapons are IMHO extremely MonHun, even if more high-tech.)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/power-rangers/268340/power-rangers-hyperforce-twitch-rpg-coming-soon

See neither of those things make it sound particularly big to me. When I was in 3rd grade something like 50% of the male children owned some sort of Power Rangers paraphernalia. Did it maintain that level of popularity?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Foglet posted:

Its enemy sheets look like this:

And no idea what THIS is but I know I want some of it:

I need this game in my life.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Foglet posted:

Or DracuRouge (Castlevania: The TRPG/Japanese World of Darkness).

I wish I could go back to blissful ignorance where I didn't know this game existed instead of knowing it exists but that I'll probably never see it in English.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I need this game in my life.

Mode 7 posted:

I wish I could go back to blissful ignorance where I didn't know this game existed instead of knowing it exists but that I'll probably never see it in English.
I know, right?

Truth be told, DracuRouge looks more like a Vampire Hunter D game (you must've seen that post by Andy K outlining it), but still.

At least I have my Ryuutama. And my hope, since SOME demand evidently exists.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Foglet posted:

I know, right?

Truth be told, DracuRouge looks more like a Vampire Hunter D game (you must've seen that post by Andy K outlining it), but still.

At least I have my Ryuutama. And my hope, since SOME demand evidently exists.

Does it involve random d6 tables?

because if not Ewen Cluney won't translate it and your hope lies entirely with people who take even longer and more sporadic work.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Mors Rattus posted:

Does it involve random d6 tables?

because if not Ewen Cluney won't translate it and your hope lies entirely with people who take even longer and more sporadic work.
Don't all Japanese TRPGs?

Anyway, I never thought I'd see Ryuutama or TBZ published, yet here we are.

Maybe someday I'll learn one more working language for my skillset and become the change I wanna see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

kinkouin posted:

It's the same reason they're super fickle and will back out of a project when they see that not enough "stretch" goals are being met, and they feel their value threshold doesn't make it; a lot of campaigns will lose anywhere from 3 to 10% of their pledge money because of that at the last stretch.

This one baffles me. I kind of get it for the people going 'I'll watch it and buy in when it hits my determination of 'value for money', but the people who pledge at the base level, and then complain they're not getting enough free stuff are weird. You thought it was good enough x days/weeks ago, and now suddenly it's not good enough even though you're still probably getting more 'stuff' than you backed for'.