Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

This update... wasn't absolute poo poo. In a .hack or digimon fangame, the wasteland wouldn't feel too out of place as a "the entire area is corrupted data" sense (but why is there an area making copies of real things in a pokemon... is the wasteland a PULSEd Ditto?) And we have a character who doesn't immediately suck. Granted, the gym leader sounds like she's about to put a box of gym badges next to the front door with a sign that says "Free- Take One", but still.

And how did douchbag McGee beat us to the gym that's in the area that's locked and only one person had the key?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Haifisch posted:

True or not, I have a sinking feeling this is going to tie into whatever Amethyst thinks happened:

And also this:

This seems to support what I read, but at the same time raises the question of how the reddit guy knew what happened when Amethyst apparently didn't.

Anyway, I'll wait until the event crops up in game. Just wanted to slow some people down since serious conclusions are being jumped to.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
It's funny to me that the only actual fun gym fight is against someone who's inexperienced, stressed, and clearly not at her best.

Also: Cain's drama would be more interesting if he weren't a walking sexual harassment case.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I would fully imagine those two things are linked and not separate issues, unfortunately.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Dragonatrix posted:

I would fully imagine those two things are linked and not separate issues, unfortunately.

Exactly.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Every time the meteor boss orders his pokemon to execute I keep thinking this is going to turn into a MMBN LP.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Grizzwold posted:

Every time the meteor boss orders his pokemon to execute I keep thinking this is going to turn into a MMBN LP.

i think i'd almost prefer playing through BN4 than this tire fire tbh

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

"Oh no, ClownMan.exe is making the speakers blare deafening circus music and its operator is standing here taunting me. We have to stop it!"
"Jack in, Megaman, execute!"
*splorch*
:gonk:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've found a few of the pictures I saved that didn't make the cut for whatever reason.

Here's an album https://imgur.com/a/y8pEKwE

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:five:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Azza Bamboo posted:

I've found a few of the pictures I saved that didn't make the cut for whatever reason.

Cal o Sengan is hilarious.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Materant posted:

i think i'd almost prefer playing through BN4 than this tire fire tbh

Well there are similarities. BN4 constantly jerks you around with sidequests distracting you from your goal of participating in the tournaments (and helping resolving almost all your opponent's personal problems). The tournaments are just going on in the background of the real issue of the meteor threatening to crash into the planet. And there's a villain who does things just to be evil.

Of course the big thing separating them is that you actually get to do things in BN4, regardless of how stupid those things are. And the actual battles still do feel like BN, unlike this game which seemingly strives to make them as much of a pain as possible.

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

I've obsessed over Pokemon Reborn so much, I have a color-coded 5,999-word document filled with quotes, pieces of lore, and my own findings of the game so far up to the end of E17.

Onmi posted:

Wait a loving minute. If Cal had already sabotaged the Pulse Camerupt, then why did he stop Kiki from destroying it, to begin with? Shouldn't he have just let it happen and went "Oh darn, looks like the Pulse Camerupt was destroyed boss, sorry, they were too strong for me, gee wilickers"
I ask myself this question every time I time I think about this scene; I'm glad someone else finally noticed.

Psycho Knight posted:

Omni's questioning of Amethyst is more trustworthy, and she does make it sound like something sinister happened that made them kick him out.
I thought the implication was that his real-life mom kicked him out of the house because he was gay (or at least into dudes since he seems to be a pansexual in the game), and that was why he couldn't be part of the server anymore.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I've been reading this for a while but missed the past couple of updates until just now, and :psyduck: Really? Really? The treatment of Corey's player is still more distasteful by leaps and bounds, but Kiki's story still sinks pretty low.

I understand the sentiment of wanting to memorialize someone who helped shape a campaign: I did similar games when I was a kid, of the "apply to play a canon character" variety. In one of these games, a player who had been there since the beginning passed away from complications of chronic illness. The rest of us all worked together to print an artbook in her memory (in our defense most of us were teens and/or poor), and then we retired her signature character; no one could apply for him again, but he would stick around as an NPC, happily living out his dream career and helping people all over the land.

What we didn't do was write an arc in which he develops a terminal illness, watches his dearest partner be incinerated by a traitorous pupil, and is brutally hacked apart while at his lowest moment.

It would be one thing if Kiki's player wanted to write their experiences into their character, though it still wouldn't be an excuse for the terrible execution that makes Kiki look callous, stubborn, and ineffective. And after Corey, I'm not sure if I even want to give whoever wrote and okayed the script the benefit of the doubt. Come to think of it, I'm also not sure how I feel about reusing other people's characters seemingly without their input on how to portray them - or, in the case of people who left the community or died, without knowledge and consent. Even in the interview itself Ame mentions that Fern didn't suggest things like mocking suicide, and Heather apparently fell out of communication entirely.

I would think that once the grieving daughter who lost her father to suicide stops talking to you, that's a sign that you should probably not include them both in your fangame.

And, sure, maybe the entire cast's dynamics are irreplaceable and can't be cut out of their developments (you probably couldn't have Aya without Cain or a bootleg Cain, unless that relationship was totally made up for Reborn), but... Are you really going to put all of that on display for a large audience? Especially very personal topics like illness, suicide, and goodness knows what else? I know Ame said in the interview that she tried to make it so that the characters can't be easily linked back to the players, but I don't have much faith, considering said characters still have the same names as before judging by that post Omni linked to. (semi-related but gently caress this one guy in particular)

That's not even getting into the narrative pitfalls that have been discussed time and time again, the dual flaws of no protagonist agency and constant detours even in an urgent life-or-death situation. It's actually surprising how lightning-fast dealing with Aya and her badge, though given the hints about her family life I doubt it's the last we'll see of her. Even so, at least she handed over the Official Badge We Need For Orphan-Rescues before any more meandering could happen, so we can finally get to work on that urgent task of saving kids from torture, right?

.....right?

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 16, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

"Look, I know you have every reason to hate me, but hear me out. I never meant for this to happen. Kiki never would have-- I didn't go to Apophyll to infiltrate it for Team Meteor. I joined because I wanted to change. And I did change. Team Meteor had other plans, and they wanted to use me being there, so they directed me to set up the PULSE to destroy the academy. You all, and Kiki tried to stop it..."

No. Kill the smelly hobo.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

This is why Vine had to die :eng99:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

MiracleFlare posted:

And, sure, maybe the entire cast's dynamics are irreplaceable and can't be cut out of their developments (you probably couldn't have Aya without Cain or a bootleg Cain, unless that relationship was totally made up for Reborn), but... Are you really going to put all of that on display for a large audience? Especially very personal topics like illness, suicide, and goodness knows what else?

Here's the thing though. This doesn't fundamentally make things any better but I'm going to assume that Reborn was never meant to be for a large audience. Even now it still seems to be made for the specific Reborn community. It's just that these days it's way bigger than it's ever been, with lots more attention having been called to it over the years for being probably one of few large-scale Pokemon fangames that is both playable and still being developed. If the audience is really just supposed to be those who participated in the RP, then it's really not surprising that the player character has so little agency--because the RP participants are already in the game, but you need a "player character" to travel between scenes containing them. What was probably intended to be for specific people to play ended up being available to everyone in the end.

We're all on the outside looking in here. It doesn't make the writing or various portrayals of topics in the game any more acceptable but it does partially explain a couple of the more boneheaded decisions we've encountered.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
OFS, join the RP and post your results on the forums. Clearly this is how Reborn is meant to be experienced.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

The more I see Dr. Connal, the more I can only think about Yoshikage Kira.

I'm not sure if I've consumed too much Jojo's, or I'm becoming a part of the abyss.

PK Starstorm
Jun 2, 2011

MiracleFlare posted:

Even so, at least she handed over the Official Badge We Need For Orphan-Rescues before any more meandering could happen, so we can finally get to work on that urgent task of saving kids from torture, right?

.....right?

I wouldn't hold my breath, personally.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Whenever a character with an accent shows up in text and there's no immediate indication of how they sound I just start hearing them as Shrek. I guess Hardy is supposed to sound Austrailian because he says 'mate' a few times?

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

LightningKimba posted:

The more I see Dr. Connal, the more I can only think about Yoshikage Kira.

I'm not sure if I've consumed too much Jojo's, or I'm becoming a part of the abyss.

The entire game is just Sheer Heart Attack screaming "Look over here" while getting distracted by random nonsense.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

What would really make me laugh would be if you finally go to move that rock and a work crew has just got done moving it and when you talk to them they are baffled that you went all the way across the lake to get strength. It would be a funny joke for them to acknowledge that it has taken way too long to get to moving the rock. That’s a good joke.

But then have something requiring strength shortly after to validate your efforts.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

Cal o Sengan is hilarious.

:agreed:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
But obviously the only reason we dislike this game is because we want to get past every challenge by smashing our face against it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

No no, we're whiny children who can't appreciate a deep, mature storyline

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Look, it's either that or acknowledge your flaws.
And who has time for that poo poo.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Psycho Knight posted:

Anyway, I'll wait until the event crops up in game. Just wanted to slow some people down since serious conclusions are being jumped to.

"I didn't jump to conclusions. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were."

If the past 100 pages have taught us anything about this game and everyone involved in it, it's that the worst possible scenario is always either completely right or actually still not as bad as reality. I can't imagine Cain, walking sexual harassment case surrounded by dark hints, can possibly have any kind of innocent backstory, but I guess maybe he could be the exception that proves the rule - something has to be.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'll admit there is the possibility for future developments to be deep, touching, and well-written. Evidence from past performance renders it unlikely.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

My impression was that Cain had been thrown out for being gay and Lana told Aya he ran away, or something.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

F14m3rz posted:

I thought the implication was that his real-life mom kicked him out of the house because he was gay (or at least into dudes since he seems to be a pansexual in the game), and that was why he couldn't be part of the server anymore.

PetraCore posted:

My impression was that Cain had been thrown out for being gay and Lana told Aya he ran away, or something.

Basically, yes. I don't know about kicked out of the house, all I read was forced by her to quit the server because he had a boyfriend or something. That's all heresy and a personal matter regardless of course, not really anyone's business. Which obviously means that it should be made in to game Cain's back story for some reason. Uuugghhh.

Again, this is still flimsy information. Amethyst says that Cain just vanished one day with no notice, but also does seem to know what happened to him. This could just be a case of Cain's back story being based on what the real person went through, or it could just be people are assuming that since he disappeared with little or no explanation. I'm definitely not interested in pushing anyone who was directly involved for all the details, I was just trying to get a small bit of clarity on this because of the conversation Omni had with Amethyst. When it comes to Reborn, I really don't want to leave things to the imagination upon learning that an event is another 'based on the real person' deal.

Black Robe posted:

"I didn't jump to conclusions. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were."

If the past 100 pages have taught us anything about this game and everyone involved in it, it's that the worst possible scenario is always either completely right or actually still not as bad as reality. I can't imagine Cain, walking sexual harassment case surrounded by dark hints, can possibly have any kind of innocent backstory, but I guess maybe he could be the exception that proves the rule - something has to be.

This seems to be the exception as far as I can tell. Let's just hope that there are others. I've had enough of this real life writes the plot garbage. I don't want to see talk down the road that IRL Solaris may have actually been a terror cell leader or something.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Honestly, I don't care at all about Cain's past, present or future. I cant imagine why I don't care about him.

Though it makes perfect sense he was born and raised in a trash swamp.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

I need to distract you all from Cainposting to pimp this excellent link. This is the ultimate pro click of this thread, I laughed out loud at Stupid Sexy Flobot/Cal O Sengan double whammy.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

limeicebreakers posted:

This is why Vine had to die :eng99:

Because the one thing this game was missing was memes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Solumin posted:

Because the one thing this game was missing was memes.

This is not the last time we'll be seeing memes in field descriptions, not by a longshot. Particularly in the insane ones you're unlikely to see during the LP due to there only being one or two ways to invoke them.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kurieg posted:

This is not the last time we'll be seeing memes in field descriptions, not by a longshot. Particularly in the insane ones you're unlikely to see during the LP due to there only being one or two ways to invoke them.

Oh yeah I trigger that one by complete accident.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Why is the waste watching anyway?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

The Skeleton King posted:

Why is the waste watching anyway?

There's nothing on TV.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Psycho Knight posted:

Basically, yes. I don't know about kicked out of the house, all I read was forced by her to quit the server because he had a boyfriend or something. That's all heresy and a personal matter regardless of course, not really anyone's business. Which obviously means that it should be made in to game Cain's back story for some reason. Uuugghhh.

Again, this is still flimsy information. Amethyst says that Cain just vanished one day with no notice, but also does seem to know what happened to him. This could just be a case of Cain's back story being based on what the real person went through, or it could just be people are assuming that since he disappeared with little or no explanation. I'm definitely not interested in pushing anyone who was directly involved for all the details, I was just trying to get a small bit of clarity on this because of the conversation Omni had with Amethyst. When it comes to Reborn, I really don't want to leave things to the imagination upon learning that an event is another 'based on the real person' deal.

This seems extremely strange and ironic when you consider all the lesbian flags in the game and the fact you can play a nonbinary androgynous character that's referred to with "Xe". Custom pronouns and being homophobic don't usually go hand in hand from what I've observed, but what do I know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

TCat posted:

This seems extremely strange and ironic when you consider all the lesbian flags in the game and the fact you can play a nonbinary androgynous character that's referred to with "Xe". Custom pronouns and being homophobic don't usually go hand in hand from what I've observed, but what do I know?

If you really want to get into it, there are plenty of people, especially idiot teenagers, who base their tolerance or lack thereof regarding sexuality around whether or not they consider it "yucky", so it wouldn't surprise me if Reborn as a community was totally supportive of LGBT women but less so when it's a dude. I consider it more likely that Cain was, in fact, a creepo, but a supposedly-inclusive, but deeply toxic, community shunning someone for being the wrong kind of different would not surprise me in the least.