Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

AngusPodgorny posted:

They should make Eureka monsters run away when they get low on health like in Everquest. They can put that in Pathos or whatever the next one is called.

Saint Freak posted:

Eureka monsters should leash infinitely so you can train the whole map into town and kill everyone

I'm having flashbacks to 1999 here. Next you'll tell me that in Eureka Astrapi, if you die all your equipment stays on your corpse until you retrieve it (or it decays and you lose your stuff forever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
You guys are making the end game sound so bad. :saddowns:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The 1.0 and XI devs are taking over and ruining FF14.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Heavensward, arrival to Moghome plot: WoL, we need to find the dragon dude. But we can't blindly go around trying to find him, that'll take days that we don't have! Lets go fetch the Seedseer, have her somehow get permission to enter Ishgard, past Coerthas, past the forelands, and up Sohm Al. By foot. She certainly isn't attuned to the aetheryte up here. That is certainly faster then running around, certainly faster then heading for the most immediate landmark in the area (Shiva's statue)

And then play grab rear end with the moogles. Deffo faster

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Safeword posted:

The thing they are crying about is optional and will be nerfed eventually.

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

Fat and Useless posted:

Nerfing it doesn't make it good content though.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Vadoc posted:

The 1.0 and XI devs are taking over and ruining FF14.

Okay. I get the thread's going to be all about making GBS threads on Pagos for the forseeable future, but this is hyperbole.

It's not like the game suddenly jumped off the slippery slope post-patch. You can safely ignore all of the content added last week if you want. The actual endgame hasn't changed a bit.

Fat and Useless posted:

However, if they suddenly announce that the guy that directed Pagos is in charge of 5.0, then I'll be worried.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Safeword posted:

Actual end game is fine. Do dungeons, raids, trials, roulettes, HOH, crafting, casual, hardcore, whatever you feel like. Don't do Eureka. FF14 has a fuckton of content, don't waste your time with the worst of it.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

faptown posted:

Nerfing it doesn't make it good content though.

Nerfing it means you will have to do that optional content you hate less instead of smashing your face into it now for gear that will be obsolete next month.

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

Fat and Useless posted:

Nerfing it means you will have to do that optional content you hate less instead of smashing your face into it now for gear that will be obsolete next month.

Doing something bad less doesn't mean it's good though.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Safeword posted:

Eureka isn't endgame. It was intended for casual players to have something to do to work toward good gear without having to raid. Unfortunately they made it a lovely throwback to 2000 era MMO gameplay with bullshit monotonous grinds.

There's a poo poo ton to do that's actually fun. We're all just a bit bummed out that dev resources were misspent on this poo poo.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Leal posted:

Heavensward, arrival to Moghome plot: WoL, we need to find the dragon dude. But we can't blindly go around trying to find him, that'll take days that we don't have! Lets go fetch the Seedseer, have her somehow get permission to enter Ishgard, past Coerthas, past the forelands, and up Sohm Al. By foot. She certainly isn't attuned to the aetheryte up here. That is certainly faster then running around, certainly faster then heading for the most immediate landmark in the area (Shiva's statue)

And then play grab rear end with the moogles. Deffo faster

To be fair, they did need the horn to actually call the dragon dude. :v:

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Yeah, Eureka isn't really the end game and can be easily ignored. It's not the most difficult content, it doesn't give the best gear, it doesn't stop you from going through the main story. It has a new leveling system, but it gets utterly ignored outside Eureka. I just complain because complaining is key mmo gameplay, right up there with dressing up and jumping on things.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well, mostly my annoyance with Eureka is the amount of time spent making it that could have been used making actual fun content.
And to an extent it makes me question the devs judgement.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

But these are the FFXI devs that you hate though, so it's best that they waste their time on some side poo poo that doesn't matter.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Fat and Useless posted:

This is likely correct but the use of 'crying' to describe people posting criticism is really tired.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I want to know why the big blast on par with Ultima is having its resolution shunted off in side content. Seems like a major thing to just treat as optional.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'd say it doesn't reflect well on the dev priorities that Eureka is major content.

HoH at least serves as a supplementary leveling path for 60-70.

Eureka is a replacement for the previous relic and anima steps which were essentially another layer of incentive to keep non-current content populated. Relic was rougher and more experimental with it while anima streamlined it a lot more into roulette activities. Eureka is a completely different piece of content that's segregated from the rest of the game. You can't level up other classes while doing Eureka, you can't queue for content while doing Eureka, there's no parallel progression like using crafter/gatherer turn-ins to accelerate your relic/anima progress for certain steps.

While stuff like WT has created some incentives to play older content it's nowhere near as consistent as the old relic stuff. Furthermore, relic and anima was good for both hardcore grinders and casual players because you could get a fair bit of progress done in the process of capping your weekly tomestones, whether you were doing it in a day or two by spamming ARF or over the course of the week with daily roulettes. There's no such thing with Eureka. Sure, you could do Eureka and cap out your tomestones but even Anemos is kind of a horrible grind and while the NM train still exists, it's clear by the design of Pagos that they never intended NM trains to be a thing.

I don't think Eureka will detract from the MSQ or the other current side content like trials or both flavors of raids but it's still a major branch of side content and they're loving it up big. Sure, they may fix it in the end but while the narrative of ARR fixing 1.0's broken rear end and whatnot is great, I don't think anyone wants to have a repeat of that. They can fix something awful? Great. I would rather they make something better in the first place.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I want to know why the big blast on par with Ultima is having its resolution shunted off in side content. Seems like a major thing to just treat as optional.

For better or worse FFXIV deals with a lot of pretty momentous plot stuff in optional content. Setting aside stuff like Alexander and the Crystal Tower which are only really even introduced into the plot if you bother to pursue them, things like the fate of Omega and Bahamut are totally voluntary. Even Warring Triad ties up a fair number of loose plot threads.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Lol, you can disconnect to get around cutscenes in Cutscene Roulette. Speedrun stratzz

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Safeword posted:

Adding another assessment that FFXIV's endgame has generally been and currently is good. There are a few progression paths (more if you count crafting and housing); it just so happens that one of the current options is pretty bad. Some of the Savage raids in Heavensward were so bad that they exploded more than a few raiding groups. The Stormblood raiding situation is much better, and there's plenty to do otherwise.

Always remember the real endgame is glamour.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Lol, you can disconnect to get around cutscenes in Cutscene Roulette. Speedrun stratzz

This seems like a giant pain in the rear end and a massive self-own if you do this, but people seem to love the feeling of sticking it to the man. So, good for them I guess!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Skipping those awful cutscenes is good though. The forced cutscenes are supposed to help Newbie McSprouts, but I assume some of them would want to skip that drivel, too.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

like 9/10 of the cutscenes could be replaced by big flashing waypoints saying stuff like "JUMP IN THE drat TRASH" and nothing of value would be lost

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Eltoasto posted:

But these are the FFXI devs that you hate though, so it's best that they waste their time on some side poo poo that doesn't matter.

Yes, that content is known as "FFXI." Keep it out of my FFXIV, please.

ETA: That one random FFXI crossover festival last year was cool though, you can keep doing that.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

For some reason I thought you'd be able to chat with your FC and your linkshells with the app. But you can only have 1on1 conversations with other people who have the app. This makes it absolutely useless to me

That would actually be useful and was what I expected when I opened the chat menu.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
This jumping puzzle is ironically the best content added since 4.3.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

This jumping puzzle is ironically the best content added since 4.3.

HoH is pretty decent.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It would be incredibly evil, but Square Enix could basically print money if they made the mobile app a gacha thing where you could get rare minions/mounts/glamour gear/emotes/whatever. Sorta like Heroes of the Storms lootboxes.

isk posted:

Adding another assessment that FFXIV's endgame has generally been and currently is good. There are a few progression paths (more if you count crafting and housing); it just so happens that one of the current options is pretty bad. Some of the Savage raids in Heavensward were so bad that they exploded more than a few raiding groups. The Stormblood raiding situation is much better, and there's plenty to do otherwise.

Always remember the real endgame is glamour.

The thing I like about FF14 is that there's actually a motivation to level other jobs (in the job quests). In WoW there's basically no reason other than gameplay to respec, and you can only be one class (unless something significantly changed since I stopped playing a couple years back).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The last two savage tiers have been some of the best fights they've made minus like 1 mechanic (gently caress you black holes).

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The last two savage tiers have been some of the best fights they've made minus like 1 mechanic (gently caress you black holes).

Not even black holes, it's the loving cape

Mad Science
Jul 23, 2013
That cape was the real final boss.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
The Austin Powers steamroller speed missiles also deserve a special mention imo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Axle_Stukov posted:

The Austin Powers steamroller speed missiles also deserve a special mention imo.

Those are great because if you ever get hit it's 1000% your gently caress up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bolow posted:

Not even black holes, it's the loving cape

Behind the cape was a black hole, though. :stonk:

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Those are great because if you ever get hit it's 1000% your gently caress up.

Directly, yes. Unfortunately I've had plenty of people run face first into the rear end of a missile and kill 2-4 other people who were dodging fine but were still too close to the chucklefuck running into the rear end of the slowest missile ever.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Isn't it fun dying because someone else triggered the trap that has a wide effect radius?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Isn't it fun dying because someone else triggered the trap that has a wide effect radius?

I run all my PotD/HoH instances about a room ahead/behind the other three people for this exact reason.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

My favorite HoH experience was getting one of those giant all in one rooms in the mid-20s, the rest of the group aggroing stuff without paying attention since it normally isn't hard, then finding out that the hand enemies have a complete massive-area instant party wipe attack if left alive too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Chaeden posted:

Directly, yes. Unfortunately I've had plenty of people run face first into the rear end of a missile and kill 2-4 other people who were dodging fine but were still too close to the chucklefuck running into the rear end of the slowest missile ever.

The best part is like 90% of the missile is completely safe to be in. It's just the warhead that blows up