Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did VG Close the Poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Total: 1 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Man I haven't watched DOTA since last TI, but I gotta say I'm loving how much Crystal Maiden I saw yesterday.

She's always been one of my favorite characters, is this a new thing that she's been popular competitively, or has she been for a while now? Last I recall you almost never saw her.

Also time for that annual "who the gently caress are any of these teams" :shrug: at least EG looks largely unchanged from what I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sab669 posted:

at least EG looks largely unchanged from what I recall.

Your memory isn't very good

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Sab669 posted:

Man I haven't watched DOTA since last TI, but I gotta say I'm loving how much Crystal Maiden I saw yesterday.

She's always been one of my favorite characters, is this a new thing that she's been popular competitively, or has she been for a while now? Last I recall you almost never saw her.

she got buffed a lot two patches ago, and the current meta favors dual lanes, so her Q is almost guaranteed to hit two heros during the laning phase per cast. her harass is super strong.

quote:

Also time for that annual "who the gently caress are any of these teams" :shrug: at least EG looks largely unchanged from what I recall.

lmao :pwn:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

BULLSHIT first day, best two teams (Pain gaming 1-1 and TNC Predator 2-2) are not top of their group.

Picks-wise there's a good amount of variety but I think we're gonna get real sick of "let's give wisp away oh we got astrally space-dunked" happening every game.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Sab669 posted:

There's been a lot of changes over the past year (denying creeps give only 25% of their exp to the enemy team instead of 70%, shrines got moved further away from the offlane, jungle camps give less gold/exp, removal of the extra ranged creep from mid lane, bounty runes at longer intervals, various nerfs to the survivability of the traditional solo offlane heroes) that has shifted the gameplay away from 1 solo offlane + 1 roamer in favor of putting 2 heroes in each side lane as a default.

CM's nuke got buffed by 30 damage at level 1 to 130, which is backbreaking harassment for enemy regen if you are consistently landing it on 2 heroes at a time.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
What are the stats on core WK vs support WK from yesterday? I wasn't able to watch all the game but from what I saw, Core was marginally more successful

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

botany posted:

rtz will never win a TI

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BioThermo posted:

There's been a lot of changes over the past year (denying creeps give only 25% of their exp to the enemy team instead of 70%, shrines got moved further away from the offlane, jungle camps give less gold/exp, removal of the extra ranged creep from mid lane, bounty runes at longer intervals, various nerfs to the survivability of the traditional solo offlane heroes) that has shifted the gameplay away from 1 solo offlane + 1 roamer in favor of putting 2 heroes in each side lane as a default.

CM's nuke got buffed by 30 damage at level 1 to 130, which is backbreaking harassment for enemy regen if you are consistently landing it on 2 heroes at a time.

Another big one is that bounty runes give their gold to your entire team now instead of just who picks it up.

I'm gonna be in an all day meeting today :negative:

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

tote up a bags posted:

BULLSHIT first day, best two teams (Pain gaming 1-1 and TNC Predator 2-2) are not top of their group.

Picks-wise there's a good amount of variety but I think we're gonna get real sick of "let's give wisp away oh we got astrally space-dunked" happening every game.

Wisp is 3-5 my dude

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Thanks Valve

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Andrast posted:

Any specific games I should watch from day 1?

I’m doing a big dumb spreadsheet again https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xgx98GaJ4wRB0x-KGWnwomKjdSB2cFc_LOl43XMJePw

Might be in the OP too

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/DOTABUFF/status/1030080040069943296

https://twitter.com/wykrhm/status/1029977952497225728

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Firebatgyro posted:

Wisp is 3-5 my dude

ya but only because he is powering up

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah EG beat wisp/gyro against mineski but at the same time that game should have ended a lot earlier than it did. Wisp is loving ridic

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

icefraud sucks cuz he dumpstered dark seer but hasn't deleted the boring rear end poo poo hero wisp.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Finished day 1 at 451.91, I don't remember whether that's good or not but apparently it's 50 points off from making top 100 so I'm gonna hate myself for a bit.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

start the GAMES already

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No pudge? I miss Dendi :(

And OK I guess EG changed up more than I realized.

My boss is out of the office the rest of the week and I have loving nothing to do, but twitch is blocked on our computers so I'm stuck just watching on my tiny phone :negative:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sab669 posted:

My boss is out of the office the rest of the week and I have loving nothing to do, but twitch is blocked on our computers so I'm stuck just watching on my tiny phone :negative:

There are usually some youtube restreams if you van watch that

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Heroes that won't be picked:

Dark Seer
Techies
Razor
Bat

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea YouTube is blocked too. loving everything is at my office. HIPAA :shrug:

I'd be ok if we never see a Tinker, Naga, or Arc Warden pick.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Yea YouTube is blocked too. loving everything is at my office. HIPAA :shrug:

I'd be ok if we never see a Tinker, Naga, or Arc Warden pick.

They're all fun to watch as long as they are niche picks.

loving miserable to play with or against though

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
Hey guys, seeing a lot of debate in this thread -- some people are right on the money and I just wanted to pop in to set the record straight.

Artour "Arteezy" Babaev will never, ever, win a Valve event, for as long as he lives.

Hope that clarification helps!

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
why are they starting later today anyone know

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

why are they starting later today anyone know
I don't think they are starting later, I think they started at the same time yesterday.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
it's exactly the same time as yesterday

people were speculating at an 8:30 preshow but it didn't happen, because it wouldn't happen for group stages

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
esports app listed 1800 CET yesterday, 20.30 today - but I guess that was NOT ENTIRELY correct

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
lol nevermind

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
god damnit just found out gosu has an AI fantasy prediction page so now I just have to try that poo poo

https://gosu.ai/dota/analysis/fantasy/2018-08-16

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

It is sort of weird I think because Pudge is a pretty viable support these days, or at least way more so than in previous years

Also I'm sure someone will pick Techies at some point. I'm surprised that someone actually drafted a Clock because he seem pretty firmly in the dumpster these days

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kinda sucks they killed the offlane cuz it was the only role i was ever even remotely decent at.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Pudge is dead now that you cant get early Flesh Heap any more

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
There is only one hero that is guaranteed to not show up this TI and that hero is Nightstalker. That hero is unbelievably garbage right now.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ixmike88/status/1030115226887356416

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
"power problems" = "we bought our power adapters at the dollar store"

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm gonna blame some of those Wisp losses on the fact that they were paired with Gyro, who is actually a terrible hero.

Reality Loser posted:

Pudge is dead now that you cant get early Flesh Heap any more

Incorrect, expect to see him on the main stage but not in groups since teams aren't going to want to reveal that Pudge is something you need to watch out for. This might also be the explanation behind the Gyro picks. No one is ever going to ban Gyro, so you're not revealing anything by picking him. There are so few good carries in the pool that revealing your team eats rear end with one of them could gently caress you over in the long run

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i miss Nine Michael.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm gonna blame some of those Wisp losses on the fact that they were paired with Gyro, who is actually a terrible hero.

they're both bad!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I love winter. Sticking him with Lumi is doing him dirty.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lumi started before all these other slobs. show some goddang respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Lumi is hot garbage, he always has been.