Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yes, you can use them as a bonus action, which does this:

Healer's Kit. This kit is a leather pouch containing bandages, salves, and splints. The kit has ten uses. As an action, you can expend one use of the kit to stabilize a creature that has 0 hit points, without needing to make a Wisdom (Medicine) check.

With Healer, that means giving the stabilized creature 1 HP, which is very useful.

But the 1d6+4 heal ability of the Healer feat doesn't come from the item. It's not using the item.

You can always ask your DM to houserule otherwise, of course.

Idk, mate. I've never heard of a "feat action" and looking at all the other PHB feats, that seems like a thing that would only exist for just this one feat.

On the other hand, Use an Object says "When an object requires your action for its use, you take the Use an Object action."

I guess maybe some other DMs could weigh in, but I don't see any way RAW you can't bonus action the medpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"As an action, you can spend one use of a healer's kit to tend to a creature and restore 1d6 + 4 hit points to it, plus additional hit points equal to the creature's maximum number of hit dice. The creature can't regain hit points from this feat again until it finishes a short or long rest."

This is not the use an object action. It's an action that requires an object.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Reading from a few pages back, but fighters and martial characters should be tall tale level heroes as they get near 20. Wrestle that loving tornado! Drag your axe and make a massive canyon! Split the mountain! narratively, all characters should be similar in ability to affect the world. He grabbed that river by its mouth and slammed it shut!

Mechanically? make fighters/warriors have magic that is just a skill check. Con or Str. Wizards cast spells with defined limits. Martial characters are by the rule of awesome.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They should be, and in my opinion were pretty close in 4e, but I don't think we'll get that close again with the current designers in charge.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
People in this thread: DnD is a bad game because it has vague rules in some cases and too many in others use another system duh

Also people in this thread: lol using an object isn't literally using an object guys come on don't be stupid

Like really, I don't think I'd play any system with half of you because you sound like the loving worst rules lawyery That Guy on Earth.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Person in this thread: How bad and dumb is <build>?
Other people in this thread: You can get the same mechanical effect with less effort like this, and also RAW it doesn't actually work the way you think it does so you'd need to clear it with your GM.
The Gate: loving RULES LAWYERS!!!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Playing around with critical hits, and I realize I hate when someone rolls a critical hit and it ends up being a low number anyway

so I'm thinking you automatically count the first set of dice as having rolled the maximum, and then get to roll the additional dice as normal.

So if you attack with a short sword and land a critical hit, you get 6 (maximized 1d6) + 1d6 + additional modifiers

This way you always roll at least slightly higher than your standard potential damage

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Splicer posted:

Person in this thread: How bad and dumb is <build>?
Other people in this thread: You can get the same mechanical effect with less effort like this, and also RAW it doesn't actually work the way you think it does so you'd need to clear it with your GM.
The Gate: loving RULES LAWYERS!!!

At what point did I make this argument? Oh right, never. You argued that using an object isn't using an object on this page. Shrug.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

The Gate posted:

At what point did I make this argument? Oh right, never. You argued that using an object isn't using an object on this page. Shrug.

So I can assume that any attack is an Attack action, then?

E: Since that comes off as kind of glib, I'll just say that 5E has invited close and literal readings of its words by having a lot of them not actually be what you would naturally think when hearing them. This is not exactly unique to 5E, but it also means that there's a fine line between "rules lawyering" and just figuring out what the hell the designers actually meant.

Zandar fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 16, 2018

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

The Gate posted:

People in this thread: DnD is a bad game because it has vague rules in some cases and too many in others use another system duh

Also people in this thread: lol using an object isn't literally using an object guys come on don't be stupid

Like really, I don't think I'd play any system with half of you because you sound like the loving worst rules lawyery That Guy on Earth.

The RAW suck sometimes but their interpretation of the rules is correct. You can work with a DM to get around some of these issues but I think there’s value in trying to parse and adjudicate the RAW while acknowledging their flaws. This is important if you’re in a AL or other rotating DM settings as people clearly have trouble interpreting the rules consistently and even the designers flip-flop on Twitter about them.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zandar posted:

So I can assume that any attack is an Attack action, then?

Does the PHB section say "any action that makes an attack is an attack action"? Because the entry on Use an Object says that about actions that use objects. Also, ruling that there is a "feat action" which only exists so this 1 feat in particular isn't Use and Object, and is not mentioned or described anywhere, is weird to me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Verisimilidude posted:

Playing around with critical hits, and I realize I hate when someone rolls a critical hit and it ends up being a low number anyway

so I'm thinking you automatically count the first set of dice as having rolled the maximum, and then get to roll the additional dice as normal.

So if you attack with a short sword and land a critical hit, you get 6 (maximized 1d6) + 1d6 + additional modifiers

This way you always roll at least slightly higher than your standard potential damage

Yes, absolutely.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Verisimilidude posted:

My table plays this way (at request of players)

It becomes a problem because enemies will generally roll a lot more dice than the players, and makes fights too swingy.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Gonna go play my first AL game this Saturday for one of the ToA epic modules. Do I need to roll my character in store with the DM, or can I take care of that in advance? Is this something I need to call my LGS about?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Pretty sure you have to use the standard array for AL, so there's nothing to roll anyway. I don't see why you couldn't create it in advance because of that.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Toshimo posted:

Does the PHB section say "any action that makes an attack is an attack action"? Because the entry on Use an Object says that about actions that use objects. Also, ruling that there is a "feat action" which only exists so this 1 feat in particular isn't Use and Object, and is not mentioned or described anywhere, is weird to me.

This, basically.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Toshimo posted:

...is a sword an object? Asking for a friend.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Proud Rat Mom posted:

My table plays this way (at request of players)

It becomes a problem because enemies will generally roll a lot more dice than the players, and makes fights too swingy.

The 4e solution is to have enough HP that you can absorb the crits anyway

The 3e solution is to introduce crit confirmations, so you don't actually get to crit 5% of the time

The AD&D 2e solution is to have nat 20s translate into "automatic normal hit, plus another attack roll"

The AD&D 1e solution is to not have crits at all

The B/X solution is to have nat 20s translate to "just an automatic hit, maybe with maximized damage"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Verisimilidude posted:

*cough cough cough* 4e did it pretty much this way and it is good *cough cough cough*

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Gate posted:

At what point did I make this argument?
Uh, here

The Gate posted:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 16, 2018

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
4e had crits be max damage plus xd6 or whatever, while enemy crits were just max damage, which made things a little less swingy against PCs. I mean crits still hurt, but I think that's better than "could be nothing, could be twice as much as anyone was expecting."

Especially since "roll well and instantly kill an enemy" is less disruptive than "enemy rolls well and instantly kills a PC"

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, rereading the text of the feat/non-feat actions they both basically say "as an action, you can spend one use of the kit to...", so if one of them's Use an Object (which it's obviously meant to be) then the other is. I can see that now.

As I explained in my edit, my mention of the Attack action wasn't meant to draw an equivalence, just to say that "using an object isn't necessarily Use an Object" is not an unreasonable stance that only a rules lawyer could take given wording in other areas of the game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
BTW sage advice errata RULES CLARIFICATIONS say go for it
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/525714673614602241

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Reminder that in 5e punching someone is a melee attack with a weapon but not a melee weapon attack.

Arguments over the "natural language" are always going to be stupid because 5e fans/devs are always going to pretend that clearly the rules must say whatever makes sense (at least until they need to make sense in a different way for a different argument) while anyone critical of the game will point out that the words on the page don't actually say that and be promptly ignored.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
If you were to cap a free form campaign at 12th level, what single higher level ability would you give classes? That isn't spell slots.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Splicer posted:

Are we sure he hasn't posted exactly the opposite of that sometime later?

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Verisimilidude posted:

Yeah rolling 2's on damage on a crit is just a waste of a 20. 4E's max damage made sense and was fun. It's never cause much of an issue for my players, but maybe I'm just not rolling enough crits?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Splicer posted:

D-d-did you just re-quote the same tweet I posted last page to open the discussion? :shobon:

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Cassa posted:

If you were to cap a free form campaign at 12th level, what single higher level ability would you give classes? That isn't spell slots.

Pick one ability score. You can do crazy ridiculous things with that ability score, at the same DCs as normal stunts for other, non-awesome characters.

-Strength = Easy: lift a cart, horse, and rider; Moderate: life a castle wall; Difficult: lift a river
-Dexterity = Easy: stand atop a single reed or blade of grass; Moderate: sneak through an open courtyard in broad daylight; Hard: steal a sleeping maiden's dreams
-Constitution = nothing, because Constitution should not be an ability score in the first place
-Intelligence = Easy: know a man's whereabouts for the past week just by looking at him; Moderate: know the identity of a man's mistress just by looking at him; Hard: know a demon's True Name just by looking at it
-Wisdom = Easy: read a diplomat's lips from three miles away; Moderate: stop your own heart, and start it again an hour later; Hard: solve the riddle of eternal life and free yourself from the wheel of karma
-Charisma = Easy: dethrone the king with a single well-placed rumor; Moderate: scare a veteran soldier to death, literally, with a single whisper; Hard: woo the goddess of music with a single heartfelt tune

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

OutsideAngel posted:

Hard: woo the goddess of music with a single heartfelt tune

Rothfuss parachute account spotted.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Splicer posted:

...is a sword an object? Asking for a friend.

Only if you objectify it with risque hilt engravings

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I can't imagine a reading of the rules where using a healer's kit as an action, regardless of the source of that action, is not the "Use an Object" action.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Reik posted:

I can't imagine a reading of the rules where using a healer's kit as an action, regardless of the source of that action, is not the "Use an Object" action.

5e, everyone! :rimshot:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Reik posted:

Only the most uncharitable reading possible could lead one to any other conclusion.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Someone, somewhere, thinks the healer's kit is overpowered, and that person is dming a game on Saturday.

Honestly, I think applying a tourniquet in like 2 seconds is hilarious, I'm on board, let'm do it

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Someone, somewhere, thinks the healer's kit is overpowered, and that person is dming a game on Saturday.

Honestly, I think applying a tourniquet in like 2 seconds is hilarious, I'm on board, let'm do it

Epic class feature: Triage Master

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Splicer posted:

This tweet is from 2014. I’d put even odds on there being two entirely different interpretations posted between then and now.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/793225714040397825

If you go into the thread he originally said "no" and changed it to a "yes," so I'd say there's pretty reasonable consensus that it works.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The DnD staff errata tweets are based on whatever they think makes them sound smarter at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey bit of a rules question but anyway I thought of taking Inspiring Leader on my Tiefling Glamour Bard at some point. Anywho, how does that interact with Mantle of Inspiration? (I know temps don't stack)

So lets say at level 4 I take Inspiring Leader and have pumped up my party, so they are all getting +7 temps.

Then in combat I use Mantle of Inspiration, which has the text, "Each of them gains 5 temporary hit points. When a creature gains these temporary hit points, it can immediately use its reaction to move up to its speed, without provoking opportunity attacks" So, assuming that a party member still has their +7, and they decide they don't want to replace it with the +5, will they still be able to spend their reaction to move?

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 16, 2018