Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think Archer's actually a very good personality he's just in a bad show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Archer's an arrogant, sanctimonious jerk who can't decide if he's a Kirk wannabe or a Picard wannabe.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pick posted:

I think Archer's actually a very good personality he's just in a bad show.

Archer is a naive, bumbling dumbass who has flashes of clarity, and I liked that approach to the character.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Tom Paris: Shift into turbo!
Archer: Let's rocket!
Janeway: Go Galactic!
Kirk: Lightspeed rescue!
Future Janeway: Time for timeforce!
Worf: Wild Access!

Archer isn't cool enough to be Andros.

Archer is Troy.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Archer is a huge dumb rear end and that's why he's perfect for being the captain of the first Warp 5 ship. We're all huge dumb asses.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

Archer is a naive, bumbling dumbass who has flashes of clarity, and I liked that approach to the character.

Yeah he's very human imho :shrug:.

I didn't say he's my favorite Captain, that's Janeway, who I think is a psycho.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Archer is a huge dumb rear end and that's why he's perfect for being the captain of the first Warp 5 ship. We're all huge dumb asses.
also he wouldn't have gotten that job without his dad being who he was

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

FlamingLiberal posted:

also he wouldn't have gotten that job without his dad being who he was

Truly the George W. of space

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Seven: Let’s gently caress
Kim: Heh, woah now. Uhhhh. Well umm you see. It’s just that... hmmm. Well... I just. Phew. Ma’am you... heh well you see... I’m a huge pussy, sorry no.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm really impressed at how well the writers of DS9 would predict my face when I'm texting:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Cythereal posted:

It's not very unique, it's a common thing among black men trained for public speaking and a lot of Sisko's quirks come from Avery Brooks being a stage theater actor who never adjusted his performance for the television set rather than the stage.

Cythereal posted:

Brooks' stage acting mannerisms give Sisko a unique and memorable flair on top of Sisko's already rather unique character.

I think you understand what I was trying to say about Sisko's cadence being unique. No, he's not the only human being on the planet to ever sound that way, yes, it's straight-up stage performance (same with Shatner on TOS.)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Drink-Mix Man posted:

TNG - "Make it So"
DS9 - (Too good for catchphrases)
Voyager - "Do It"
JJ - "Punch It"
Disco - "Hit It" :rolleyes:

Man, the catch phrase choices on these Treks are excellent microcosms of the writing on each overall

EDIT: Forgot about Enterprise. Uh... no catchphrase that I can remember, but I seem to recall Archer liked to use a lot of lame PG-13 swears like "bastard" and "butt."

Lorca's catchphrase was originally planned to be "get 'er done", until they found out it was trademarked by larry the cable guy

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Tunicate posted:

Lorca's catchphrase was originally planned to be "get 'er done", until they found out it was trademarked by larry the cable guy

Sometimes it is hard to make fun of STD because as a show it isn't even trying. :effort:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I will freely admit that the first Enterprise promo, with the loving The Calling song, still gets me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejOkf_C-mo0

ALSO MOTHERFUCKERS WERE LITERALLY GOING WHERE NO ONE HAD GONE BEFORE BUT YOU JUST HAD TO GO BACK TO THE BORG

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

a prequel isn't a prequel without a few shoehorned "actually, they were the ones who discovered it, but they never told anyone" stories

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
picard is a dumb nerd and the rest of the captains could (and should) beat him up

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Low Desert Punk posted:

picard is a dumb nerd and the rest of the captains could (and should) beat him up

Kirk canonically was a bit of a nerd also, hence being harassed by Finnegan.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Kirk got laid dozens of times. Kirk meant business.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pick posted:

Yeah he's very human imho :shrug:.

I didn't say he's my favorite Captain, that's Janeway, who I think is a psycho.

No human being should love water polo so much

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Janeway probably got freaky deaky with the Leonardo Di Vinci hologram.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Gonz posted:

Janeway probably got freaky deaky with the Leonardo Di Vinci hologram.

she probably got a double teamed by Di Vinci and Gimli the dwarf.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Pick posted:

I'll try not to re-start poo poo, but it does end up being an issue, I think, that Brooks is very much theater acting around a lot of people who are very comfortable TV (and to a lesser extent, film) actors. It's not quite the same skill set, and to the degree it is, then the entire property has to lean into it. Shimerman is acting in a totally different way for a totally different purpose, for example.

Shimmerman was a Shakespearean actor before ds9, and is again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

All the captains and a lot of the cast were mainly stage actors before Trek up until ENT, it was one of those Star Trek quirks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

All the captains and a lot of the cast were mainly stage actors before Trek up until ENT, it was one of those Star Trek quirks.

A lot of young actors these days don't even consider theatre as an option in their careers. It's either screen or nothing. :sigh:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Low Desert Punk posted:

picard canonically laughed when he got stabbed through the heart while kirk canonically got his rear end handed to him by a lil pointy eared fuckboi so whose the dumb nerd now you big jerk

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Whalley posted:

picard canonically laughed when he got stabbed through the heart while kirk canonically got his rear end handed to him by a lil pointy eared fuckboi so whose the dumb nerd now you big jerk

Picard gets Space Dementia in his old age and Kirk dies after falling off the side of a mountain and having a bunch of scaffolding fall on top of him.

I call this one a draw.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Sisko chucks himself into a fire pit, ascends to another plane of existence, and then apparates to tell his preggo wife that he’s gonna go get some cigarettes and doesn’t know when he’ll be back for dinner.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Abalone Malone posted:

she probably got a double teamed by Di Vinci and Gimli the dwarf.

I am not Mr. Pavarotti. Mr. Pavarotti is an Italian. He speaka likea this. Do I speaka like this ? No. Why ? Because I am an Englishman, you blistering idiot !

Sallah, I said NO holograms! That's FIVE holograms! Can't you count?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Getting killed by a poorly constructed foot bridge is no way for a space hero to die.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The Bloop posted:

I am not Mr. Pavarotti. Mr. Pavarotti is an Italian. He speaka likea this. Do I speaka like this ? No. Why ? Because I am an Englishman, you blistering idiot !

Sliders waas great when it wasn't dogshit.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

8one6 posted:

Sliders waas great when it wasn't dogshit.

It was fun right up until the first cast shakeup. Every subsequent shakeup just made it even worse.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
But he punched Soran. Picard's punches wouldn't have been enough, he needed those few extra punches as an assist. What a noble death.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

galenanorth posted:

a prequel isn't a prequel without a few shoehorned "actually, they were the ones who discovered it, but they never told anyone" stories
I haven't had a chance to watch DIS yet, but how did they square going to the Mirror Universe ten years before TOS, when Kirk and co knew nothing about it?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Payndz posted:

I haven't had a chance to watch DIS yet, but how did they square going to the Mirror Universe ten years before TOS, when Kirk and co knew nothing about it?

Their Nechayev equivalent ordered the whole thing remain a secret

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The admiralty just classified it. Struck from the records probably because of a few Mirror characters that came over to the normal universe

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Sisko punched Q. That trumps everything else.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Veotax posted:

The admiralty just classified it. Struck from the records probably because of a few Mirror characters that came over to the normal universe

At least that’s better than ENT’s “look it’s this race again, but none of the main characters actually saw them, so it’s all good” loophole.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Sisko punched Q. That trumps everything else.

I’m changing my answer to this being Sisko’s catchphrase.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

I’m changing my answer to this being Sisko’s catchphrase.
I mean he brought it up all the time, like in S6E5's Favor the Bold, when right near the end when they're about to retake DS9; Sisko turns to everyone and goes "There's an old saying: fortune favors the bold. Well, I punched Q, and could totally beat up Kirk any day any time because I'm the best Space Dad so let's gon git em"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Their Nechayev equivalent ordered the whole thing remain a secret
Oh. That's... kinda dull.