Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Recruiting a DPS sub for a casual Savage static. We're working on O8S, but willing to teach the earlier fights. Having a healer class raid-ready would be a bonus. We run Tuesday and Thursday, 7:30-10pm PST. PM me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I tried out the glamour dresser for the first time. The plate system sucks, but I like that it's free storage now that you can take items out.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Safeword posted:

You guys are making the end game sound so bad. :saddowns:

Something Awful MMO threads (really any gaming discussion site) will have brief moments of raving about something good followed by days of bitching about something bad. It's just the way things go. FFXIV is a very successful subscription MMO, even with a parent company that leans heavily toward the incompetent. There's definitely fun to be had.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Rhix posted:

There's definitely fun to be had.

Instead of Eureka I'm having much more fun climbing a pointless tower and trying to get the perfect screenshot with Pineapple Girl, Murder Stickers, and O'rphan.

The perfect screenshot is a work in progress.

I did find this guy at the top of the tower.

Also, dabbing ripped off sentai.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Ah, it's all cool. I was just getting the impression my fun would slam to a screeching halt the second I hit higher levels. :v:

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Those are great because if you ever get hit it's 1000% your gently caress up.

To be fair, if you have a bit of lag the missiles can do some bullshit rubberbanding.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hommando posted:

I tried out the glamour dresser for the first time. The plate system sucks, but I like that it's free storage now that you can take items out.

Not entirely free, you need glamour prisms, but yeah. If you have too much gear, you can just toss some in the commode.

Safeword posted:

Ah, it's all cool. I was just getting the impression my fun would slam to a screeching halt the second I hit higher levels. :v:

Nah, high-level is where everything opens up. People only bother with Eureka because there's relic gear behind it, otherwise it would be deader than Diadem.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Safeword posted:

Having just reached max level, I can assure you it does not, although after so long spent levelling it's weird to be in post-XP land.

The last time I was in the gear treadmill phase of an MMO was early cata WoW, I'm not used to all this freedom

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Recruiting a DPS sub for a casual Savage static. We're working on O8S, but willing to teach the earlier fights. Having a healer class raid-ready would be a bonus. We run Tuesday and Thursday, 7:30-10pm PST. PM me!

X dps

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Safeword posted:

After you hit 70, you'll probably have 10 quests to go until you hit the end of 4.0 proper. Your class quest will give you i290 gear. Then you have 4.1 - 4.3 to go through for the MSQ (they're short and sweet).

Things that you can do at 70!
- Omega (becomes available after 4.0 I think)
- Eureka (don't do it, it's bad!)
- Optional dungeons such as ??????? and ??????? that unlock Expert Roulette
- Return to Ivalice (fukken A alliance fukken sux bunch of fukken assholes)
- Expert trials such as ?????? and ???????
- Monster Hunter stuff!
- Catch up on the real end game: crafting and gathering

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Don't forget you can also go back and do older content that you may have skipped on the way to 70. Many of the old dungeons and raids are still really cool. To be sure though, putting together a group to run old raids synched can be rough. It's much easier set up a PF to run them unsynched if you don't mind losing a lot of the experience of the fight itself.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Safeword posted:

It's mostly us vets who are complaining, since we've done a lot of the other stuff already and even if it's still really, really Good and Fun, it's not new content. Eureka is the most recent thing they added and so it's freshest in our minds and also it's real bad.

But the only things gated behind it are some glamour (marketable), an emote (marketable...?), a mount (not marketable), and a relic weapon (glamour food as all previous relics have been, don't lie). Most of us are just grumpy that SE has tried several times now to make this sort of open world side-content and every time they do it, they somehow get worse. We're not angry, we're just disappointed, like if your favorite sports team continues to make bizarre fuckups.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Don't forget you can also go back and do older content that you may have skipped on the way to 70. Many of the old dungeons and raids are still really cool. To be sure though, putting together a group to run old raids synched can be rough. It's much easier set up a PF to run them unsynched if you don't mind losing a lot of the experience of the fight itself.

You can get through the Alexander normal raids alone a lot more easily than before because they're included in the newish roulette. Still a long queue especially once you reach the last tier but it's at least doable.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How is Summoner? It seems like the job I hear about the least.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Ytlaya posted:

hello I am the local summoner apologist when I’m not busy playing scholar instead

Summoner is a great job, with the second or third best single target DPS in the game, none of the downsides of the higher-damage Jobs, the highest AOE damage, decent party buffs, and a combat raise. It’s even easy-ish to play (Ifrit makes per management a myth) and has excellent mobility to boot!

Besides the fact that it was awful at Stormblood launch, there’s two downsides to SMN that keep it from being more popular. One is that the optimal opener for raids is rather rushed and counterintuitive, requiring you to burn a lot of resources and trance time to get to Bahamut faster: you can avoid this by just using a slower opener and sacrificing a bit of damage for consistency. The second, more important issue is that dying is absolutely crippling. You’re basically using aetherflow to build up to Dreadwyrm Trance, then using DWT to build to Bahamut, and dying resets all of that. A worst-case death in Savage can easily cost you a third of your DPS over an entire fight. So if you have marginal healers or aren’t confident in mechanics, it might not be ideal.

anyways be a cool nerd and play summoner

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alt character stories: Went into The Aery and as we fought the first 2 bosses I thought man, the DPS here loving sucks. I then notice the other DPS, a nin, wasn't putting up huton or putting up their slashing debuff/dot. And the healer didn't dps. Whatever, this dungeon is going to take longer. Then I approached the final boss... and my heart sank. And sure enough, when that one thing where you get caught in a bubble and the bubble needs to be killed or the player in it dies? Yeah. When I got caught in it the only hit it took was the tank throwing an unmend at it. The healer and other DPS completely ignored it.

And now I just had a Bismark fight where the tanks wouldn't grab each of the adds, leading one add to just go around killing every other player. Then had healers who decided to ignore healing people to slow cast a raise.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

smn_in_exdr.jpg

edit: to actually answer your question, SMN is king poo poo of AOE mountain, decent single target dps, more mobile than red mage (you technically only need to stand still once every 2 mins for the hardcast Miasma III), has good utility (rez, devotion, awful physick) and sweet horn hats

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 16, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That DRG doing 2.8k :eyepop:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Kuvo posted:

smn_in_exdr.jpg

annnnnnnnnd my decision to level sch/smn next is further reinforced

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
SMN is really fun and engaging and every fight feels like you're launching a 3-stage rocket (the rocket is bahamut).

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

I'm levelling a BRD so that I can have a class where I press cooldowns as an option for when I'm drunk though.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I hope every expansion just adds another phase onto summoners. Next expac you'll have to build up two bahamut mega aethers to summon Bahamut Prime, a bahamut you can glamour hats onto (amon's hat)

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

ChickenWing posted:

annnnnnnnnd my decision to level sch/smn next is further reinforced

if you line up everything right and blow your CDs you can, in a ~30 sec period

- bane
- shadowflare
- akh morn x2
- painflare x5
- deathflare
- flaming crush
- inferno

SMN AOE is silly

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Too bad you're twiddling your thumbs in between aetherflow's cooldown and charging up baby bahamut again.

If you want super clunky gameplay but huge numbers, play arcanist jobs!

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Ytlaya posted:

I love playing Black Mage. There is no reason to play Black Mage. Summoner is a better all around class. And Red Mage is better for braindead zero effort.

I just hate how SMN plays. It's the only reason I live and die by the Flare.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

I am hella PEEVED posted:

I love playing Black Mage. There is no reason to play Black Mage.

Wrong; explosions are their own reward.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Summoner's dont get to see the big numbers that come from bahamut. Its a travesty

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I know utility-wise summoner is way better but it doesn't come anywhere close to tickling my lizard brain like casting flare multiple times does

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Other than the dungeons and raids everything they have put into stormblood has kinda sucked.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ytlaya posted:

It's only the job you hear about the least because all the machinists are constantly bitching about how terrible it is. :smithicide:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

slev posted:

Other than the dungeons and raids everything they have put into stormblood has kinda sucked.

Fordola is good, too.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Squad Bot Dungeons were Stormblood right? That's a huge add unless you had everything 50+ already.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

slev posted:

Are you saying that the jumping puzzles are not excellent?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

The only really awful thing I can think about in Stormblood is Eureka, honestly. The new classes are cool and good, the new areas are neat, the fights have been pretty fun, crafting's less impenetrable than it's ever been (at least to me)...

I guess if you count playing it safe as a bad thing, then that's there? The formula hasn't really changed at all, and I know that has some people frothing at the mouth, but it works for me. I like Stormblood overall.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

I think SB has been excellent and I've never been disappointed with a major patch.
There are a few things that I'd like them to improve, like getting personal loot in dungeons or handing out tokens from raids, but that's got nothing to do with SB and more to do with the overall design decisions they've made throughout the entire history of the game.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Stormblood rules. Taking a break because I've leveled all the classes I want to and I'm waiting for expansion ilvl cap before getting back on the gear treadmill anymore.

Out of everything I'm probably the most pleased by the overall combat class refactors and the system design for crafting. So much more logical and less RNG.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Aside from Eureka the only thing I've thought kind of sucks is swimming, and even then it's not bad just really pointless

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

When I started playing I just couldn't get used to the fact that the world wasn't seamless, it's my one wishlist feature.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I love the summoner job but I am so bad at popping Bahamut just as the boss enters an invincibility phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
The Namazu are like neck and neck with the Vath for best beast tribe too. Wonder if/when we’ll get the alliance quest line and the return of Cyborg Thong Catboy