Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

Also Gunn being rehired won't un-embolden the alt right.

No, but if a giant media conglomerate fired back with “remember when you plead guilty of battery after being charged with sexual assault” it might take the wind out of their sails. But they can’t do that, alas. And no one hired him for rape jokes, those were in his past even when GotG1 came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Nodosaur posted:

It'd sure as hell take away something they see as a major success, and decrease the likelihood that they'll get away with this poo poo again.

If Gunn gets rehired it'll be pretty obviously the fact he is a rich, influential white guy with several big successful movies under his belt that saved him. Not a single alt righter is gonna look at that and go, oh, guess I won't muckrake then. The lesson would be that these guys operate under different rules.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

welp, looks like I'm watching this movie again.

Lol if you don't watch this movie everyday and do all the moves along with the characters

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Fangz posted:

If Gunn gets rehired it'll be pretty obviously the fact he is a rich, influential white guy with several big successful movies under his belt that saved him. Not a single alt righter is gonna look at that and go, oh, guess I won't muckrake then. The lesson would be that these guys operate under different rules.

The fact that they will or won't muckrake anyone isn't the point. They'll do that. They've always done that. The point is that they weaponized accountability and succeeded.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

I think the fact he made some really well loved movies has more to do with people wanting him back than him being rich or white.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

What does WoDC stand for? Sorry, it's probably very obvious but I'm drawing a blank.

Funniest outcome would be Lucasfilm hiring him to make a Star Wars movie.

The new official name for DC's films is Worlds of DC.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey, it's the reason I stopped watching Family Guy even if nothing else was on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Is that because they’re doing things like the joker what if’s that aren’t quite in the same continuity?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Fangz posted:

Which is why Bautista should get some of his WWE friends and do a documentary about them going on a road trip to confront Alt Right muckrakers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The WWE wants nothing to do with Batista because they're jealous children upset he found success without them.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So The Rock then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His early roles were with their participation so he has their blessing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Lol if you don't watch this movie everyday and do all the moves along with the characters

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A 4K BLU RAY INTO THE SLOT. ITS INFINITY WARS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, THANOS. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME SUPERHERO BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY KILLED HALF THE UNIVERSE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

makin whoosing sounds when I feel the regret of my many horrible choices or even when I make a horrible weapon and do it again

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

This is dumb.

I parse WoDC as World of Darkness C, but honestly most things that begin with "World of" are pretty lame. World of Artichokes, World of Knives.

Things they could have used instead:
DCCM -this even one-ups Marvel
DCoIE

Most people are just going to say Marvel Movie or DC Movie anyway, unless they just say superhero movie.

Edit: Can't get fooled again.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 16, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Is this a joke

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BiggerBoat posted:

Although B&R falls into that MST3000 category where it's so awful it's funny.

Worth noting that there's a Rifftrax for Batman and Robin. It led to one of my favorite Rifftrax moments when Dr. Woodrue shows up. With his campy mad scientist style, over-acting, crazy hair and the fact that three guys from MST3K are watching, you just sit there waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Finally, once he starts cackling over his mad scientist plans, you hear, "And then I'll send a man into space and force him to watch bad movies!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Is this a joke

It's not the name.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Never mind

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh yeah.

Basically Lasseter was notorious for getting handsy and groping female employees, particularly at parties, to the point where he literally had an actual handler who’s job was to keep him from doing that poo poo. Everyone at Pixar knew, Disney knew, it was all swept under the rug more or less because he was the public face of Pixar. When it was finally exposed to the public, Disney put Lasseter on a 6-month paid leave and then quietly brought him back once that was over.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/pixar/breaking-john-lasseter-takes-leave-absence-pixar-following-missteps-154881.html

It was an open secret even in other, unrelated Disney divisions, people I know knew about it at least a year before it became public. Disney doesn’t give a poo poo about what you did or didn’t do, only public perception (see Johnny Depp).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

It was an open secret even in other, unrelated Disney divisions, people I know knew about it at least a year before it became public. Disney doesn’t give a poo poo about what you did or didn’t do, only public perception (see Johnny Depp).

This is why people acting like Gunn's firing is somehow justice have no leg to stand on. It's 100% about appearances, not about the facts, and the appearances were manipulated by a right-wing monster.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

What does WoDC stand for? Sorry, it's probably very obvious but I'm drawing a blank.

That doesn't make any sense. Marvel wants to keep him, it's Disney that fired him. He absolutely will not make a Star Wars movie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The general consensus I've seen online, and y'all may have seen different, but it's mostly that Gunn shouldn't have been fired, it was a right-wing hatchet job, but also it makes sense why Disney would fire someone who has that kind of stuff in their background. With varying levels of vitriol, of course. Some people are furious about, some people are just like "what're you gonna do". I've seen very very few people say that Gunn getting fired was an unalloyed good thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

The general consensus I've seen online, and y'all may have seen different, but it's mostly that Gunn shouldn't have been fired, it was a right-wing hatchet job, but also it makes sense why Disney would fire someone who has that kind of stuff in their background. With varying levels of vitriol, of course. Some people are furious about, some people are just like "what're you gonna do". I've seen very very few people say that Gunn getting fired was an unalloyed good thing.

We've got one in this very thread.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Worlds of DC I think...?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Worlds of DC is not the official branding for the DC stuff. Thank God because it's dumb as hell. Also there's no official branding for their stuff. It's just DC.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
He probably shouldn't have been fired, but I get why Disney did it and I don't care enough about the guy to be upset about it. I'm not missing Spider-Man 2 because Rich White Director #489316438 is missing a paycheck. Gotta be honest, the pictures made me uncomfortable. Maybe I'm just a prude but the tweets and the pictures together were a big yikes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't want him fired but that's totally fireable and it's fine that they did.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is “Worlds of DC” really any more stupid-sounding than “The Marvel Cinematic Universe”

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Pigbuster posted:

Is “Worlds of DC” really any more stupid-sounding than “The Marvel Cinematic Universe”

It sounds like a section of an amusement park

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
MCU just kind of rolls off the tongue.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Pigbuster posted:

Well the concept of your continuity including different universes is dumb, at least until you do a multiverse movie.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Justice League II: Prelude to Jokerverse.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The third joker is the affleck batman

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Beachcomber posted:

Justice League II: Prelude to Emperor Joker

Fixed.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

it makes sense why Disney would fire someone who has that kind of stuff in their background.

No it doesn't, not when they hired him with that stuff on his resume. If they didn't read his entire Twitter (which I'm entirely certain they did but that's besides the point) it's one thing, but claiming never to have read his public blog? Never to have watched the bulk of his movies? It's not just a lack of due diligence, it's a lack of any attempt at all to figure out who you just signed to a multi-film contract.

The idea that Disney didn't know who James Gunn was at all when they hired him is so stupid, so asinine that it has permanently colored my perception of shitloads of people who have expressed it.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Honest question here since I'm not all that familiar with Gunn's body of work, but what previous films did he work on as a writer or director that made light of rape and/or pedophilia?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think Tromeo and Juliet had incest

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

To be fair nobody has watched anything James Gunn made before Guardians..

Also different people hired and fired him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Aphrodite posted:

To be fair nobody has watched anything James Gunn made before Guardians..

I pity anyone who hasn’t seen Slither and Super.

• Locked thread