Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Ytlaya posted:

How is Summoner? It seems like the job I hear about the least.

SMN is a fun class and I like it because rather than making GCD-to-GCD decisions you're usually maintaining trajectory and playing the long game, juggling cooldowns so they align the way you want them to and trying not to own yourself by leaving damage on the table.

You play by priority system, obeying a few rules to set the course, and the whole thing has a really satisfying rhythm to it if you manage to keep up.

The opener is a bit wacky (the end-game opener has you swapping pets using swiftcast), Ruin spam is a thing, and the pets are a bit dumb, but I like it.

e: you don't hear much about it because most people find SMN boring and also there's nothing wrong with it for once

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SMN is great and fun and the only reason I don't main it is because I am old and bad at video games so the RDM rotation is more my speed.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

The Namazu are like neck and neck with the Vath for best beast tribe too. Wonder if/when we’ll get the alliance quest line and the return of Cyborg Thong Catboy

I just want to see what the unholy combination of ritual dance, yol dance, and /charmed will look like.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So here is a 1.0 database/ps3 limitation thing. Was fighting the boss in the Vault where he dashes around and spawns orbs. When the orbs blew up I got the achievement for killing so many enemies. I knew things like that in other fights were wrecking my durability! Its cause the game considers them as enemies then "kills" them when they leave!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That explains why they're on the aggro list.

218/230 Triple Triad cards. Seven more dungeons and all I'll need are Tidus, Lightning, and the Pagos cards.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Leal posted:

So here is a 1.0 database/ps3 limitation thing. Was fighting the boss in the Vault where he dashes around and spawns orbs. When the orbs blew up I got the achievement for killing so many enemies. I knew things like that in other fights were wrecking my durability! Its cause the game considers them as enemies then "kills" them when they leave!

This is how mechanics work in many MMOs I've played, I know WoW for example did the same for a lot of stuff back in the day(might still do their engine is very very old), like quest triggers that killed a invisible spawned non combat critter to then spawn a quest item you need to click on and many other real very weird things to just proges quests for the player.

In FFXIV you can notice this on single target boss fights that has damage sources not originating from the boss itself showing up as entities on your aggro list in some fights, also you can see this happen a lot by looking at ACT.

Not sure its a limitation thing as much as its just a thing MMO devs seem to occasionally do for various reasons unknown to me.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
For entities like that, I've always wondered if the game is nice enough to let debuffs on the boss affect the damge they deal.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Fairly sure they do not, in some fights that may even be the reason they are used too.
Just like how regular adds not being affecting by the single target debuffs/buffs currently on a boss the same rule should apply there.
Unless the boss themselves casts the damage ability or spell, then its pretty certain that you cannot debuff it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I still want my ultimate beast tribe Alliance where you unite the beast tribes across all expansions.

Mostly so Gi Gu, Deftarm, and Gyoshin can team up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Who's going to blow up the edgy cat this time? That dumb Tia from the Ananta quests?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Who's going to blow up the edgy cat this time? That dumb Tia from the Ananta quests?

He'll grab a box of lit grenades and run at the cat, surviving thanks to his hours of training of the WoL Hurling bombs at him.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Aren't Egis straight-up Stands and Ifrit is basically Magician's Red? I think that's enough reason for me to play SMN.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Schneider Heim posted:

Aren't Egis straight-up Stands and Ifrit is basically Magician's Red? I think that's enough reason for me to play SMN.

In so much as any summoned creature in anything is a stand.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
I got kicked from Halatali by a MAGA rear end in a top hat and his friend for being a communist machinist. How’s y’all’s evening going?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

small bird pudding posted:

I got kicked from Halatali by a MAGA rear end in a top hat and his friend for being a communist machinist. How’s y’all’s evening going?

Did you try sharing a bullet with him?

Give him a bullet for free.

Equal distribution of bullets for the whole party.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dasvidaniya, comrade.

But seriously, how did that even come up?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean you got saved from Halatali and they had to run it so I think you win.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
^^^^^ That’s a good point.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Dasvidaniya, comrade.

But seriously, how did that even come up?

He was spamming party chat about how he voted for Donald Trump. I made some joke comment and he asked if I didn’t like MAGA because I’m a MCH, then he said I suck, his tank friend(/wife? they shared a last name) caused a wipe by over pulling, the guy blamed it on me and called me a communist, and then I was kicked. :shrug:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

He was spamming party chat about how he voted for Donald Trump.

of all the places to try and edgelord

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He was spamming party chat about how he voted for Donald Trump. I made some joke comment and he asked if I didn’t like MAGA because I’m a MCH, then he said I suck, his tank friend(/wife? they shared a last name) caused a wipe by over pulling, the guy blamed it on me and called me a communist, and then I was kicked. :shrug:

Well, that is... certainly a series of events.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I have not booted a live party member before other than an idler. It just takes 2/4?

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Schneider Heim posted:

I have not booted a live party member before other than an idler. It just takes 2/4?

2/3, the person getting kicked doesn't get a say

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm starting to kinda root for Lahabrea. Poor guy never catches a break. I bet Zodiarck is actually a swell god.

Edit: Zodiarck is a giant penguin who just travels the world giving people gifts, and the Ascians can't figure out why everyone wants to prevent him from being summoned.

Edit2: so I guess in canon I soloed Thordan and all his knights. It's starting to feel like the WoL is kinda bullshit and like some invincible final boss Real Protagonist Lahabrea has to deal with

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 17, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Ascians are just a hilariously ineffectual Beast Tribe. Like the Namazu, only edgier and played seriously.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Ytlaya posted:

Edit2: so I guess in canon I soloed Thordan and all his knights. It's starting to feel like the WoL is kinda bullshit and like some invincible final boss Real Protagonist Lahabrea has to deal with

Is it? I've always thought your Blessing hax just protects your fellow adventurers, but if that's true then it's cool as hell.

I want to think that Lahabrea is just Char Aznable in Kingdom Hearts cosplay because JP voices rule

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I mean, there were cutscenes showing just you after the fight (where Thordan tries to attack you before losing primal-form and then looking terrified and going "what are you"), and you just traveled there with just Cid, Y'shtola, etc so there wasn't really an opportunity plot-wise for other adventurers to join you

lmao, the WoL flying over to the Enterprise while waving and smiling (and the happy main theme playing in the background) right after Estinien was consumed and transformed into Nidhogg.

I bet if any of the other main characters was just transformed into a giant evil dragon she wouldn't be all smiles. WoL is a Bad Friend.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 17, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, it's not the first time Estinien has been taken over by Nidhogg. :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
WOL to Estinien:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

drat right

edit: holy poo poo, he's on the moon

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Looking forward to going there on the Lunar Whale at some point.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
It's actually an Evangelion reference.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ytlaya posted:

edit: holy poo poo, he's on the moon

When you absolutely positively have to make sure no one overhears your evil plan.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ytlaya posted:

I'm starting to kinda root for Lahabrea. Poor guy never catches a break. I bet Zodiarck is actually a swell god.

Edit: Zodiarck is a giant penguin who just travels the world giving people gifts, and the Ascians can't figure out why everyone wants to prevent him from being summoned.

His men killed your fanboy. He forfeited his life at that point, you were just the executioner.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like it's always the same lady singing English lyrics for JRPGs. Like there's some American woman in Japan who just got this sweet gig singing JRPG songs in games like Xenoblade Chronicles and FF14.

edit: So I have about 1.1M gil. How far could that get me with crafting? My goal is to just level up the crafting/gathering classes, not to make any high-end gear.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

His men killed your fanboy. He forfeited his life at that point, you were just the executioner.

Haurchefant was a legitimately good guy, and I felt like the combination of him being genuinely likable and having been around since before Heavensward in the MSQ helped add impact to his death.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The Ascians are just a hilariously ineffectual Beast Tribe. Like the Namazu, only edgier and played seriously.
..Hm? You cannot comprehend the meaning behind this monologue, you say? Fret not! Nor do I. That itself is proof of our villany. For what is narrative, if not a collection of events both contrived and peculiar? What defines a fantasy if not the ability to accept belief on tales of uncertain likelihood and credibility? Indeed our plots must aim for ever greater heights of incomprehensibility if we are to reach true triumph. Our course forward is clear!

Algid fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 17, 2018

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like it's always the same lady singing English lyrics for JRPGs. Like there's some American woman in Japan who just got this sweet gig singing JRPG songs in games like Xenoblade Chronicles and FF14.

While this statement is pretty lovely for the various singers that did other jRPGs, I'm pretty sure Susan Calloway (who does the 3 main tracks for ARR, HW, and SB) has covered the FF9 and 10 vocal songs in distant worlds concerts. So its not entirely wrong I guess.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Kuvo posted:

smn_in_exdr.jpg

edit: to actually answer your question, SMN is king poo poo of AOE mountain, decent single target dps, more mobile than red mage (you technically only need to stand still once every 2 mins for the hardcast Miasma III), has good utility (rez, devotion, awful physick) and sweet horn hats

8k? That's it?

Man I love and main SMN but calling it king poo poo of AoE mountain is disingenuous when Black Mage pulls this poo poo off. A well played SMN beats the poo poo out of BLM on single target though and actually brings raid utility so it is the superior choice for 8 man content. Also learning fights on BLM is pretty miserable.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
that pic was the average for the entire dungeon. SMN can easily hit 20k+ dps on mass pulls

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I hit 320 cards, unlocked the Gosetsu card, and got some fancy new gloves to glamour. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

No amount of parses will get me to give up my BLM aesthetic victory over every other class.

My only regret is that I don't get to LB3 more often.