Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Maybe this is lefty echo chamber talk but surely if they switch leaders to the potato they're absolutely hosed next election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Maybe this is lefty echo chamber talk but surely if they switch leaders to the potato they're absolutely hosed next election

I keep thinking they might have a win if they hammer the race angle enough. Tampa is painfully clear in my memory.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

It's not the lefty echo chamber, his polling as preferred leader even among liberal voters is terrible.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Q. Which of the following do you think would make the best leader of the Liberal Party?

Total Vote Labor Vote Lib/Nat Vote Greens Vote other

Peter Dutton 3% 3% 4% 1% 8%

http://www.essentialvision.com.au/best-leader-liberal-party-2

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Starshark posted:

I keep thinking they might have a win if they hammer the race angle enough. Tampa is painfully clear in my memory.

I think that while elements of the right are more vocal now, in general the millenials coming of age and starting to become a larger cohort would make this approach far less effective.

Also Dutton and the other far right idiots are way way way worse at not saying the quiet part loud.

So UWA cancelled the trans-hate-fiesta scheduled for campus appearance later today. They concocted a bs excuse about security and risk management concerns, but it doesn't really matter - protest wins again.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Kinda tempted to dig into the archives and find peoples posts along the same lines from when Abbott was made leader of the Libs.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Senor Tron posted:

Kinda tempted to dig into the archives and find peoples posts along the same lines from when Abbott was made leader of the Libs.

Essential Poll just before Abbott rolled Turnbull.

Abbott was much more popular then than Dutton is now, and Abbott winning the leadership was a bit of a fluke in itself. Plus Labor worked really hard at losing the 2010 election.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

I think that while elements of the right are more vocal now, in general the millenials coming of age and starting to become a larger cohort would make this approach far less effective.

Also Dutton and the other far right idiots are way way way worse at not saying the quiet part loud.

So UWA cancelled the trans-hate-fiesta scheduled for campus appearance later today. They concocted a bs excuse about security and risk management concerns, but it doesn't really matter - protest wins again.

don't you think it would be better though to let these people talk and not silence them though huh sunlight is the best disinfectant

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Essential Poll just before Abbott rolled Turnbull.

Abbott was much more popular then than Dutton is now, and Abbott winning the leadership was a bit of a fluke in itself. Plus Labor worked really hard at losing the 2010 election.

In the Auspol thread we were celebrating it as the Libs dooming themselves for a thousand years.

chyaroh posted:

This is gonna get interesting, Tony Abbot defeats Malcolm Turnbull by one vote, 42-41. Only took them 49 minutes, and Joe Hockey lost out in the first round. Will Rudd be able to keep a straight face for the next few weeks?

duck monster posted:

Australian politics just got hilarious.

Orkin Mang posted:

The sound you just heard was the collective cheering of the Labor party. I really didn't think they'd vote in Abbott and marginalise the party so dramatically, but here we are. What an awesome past couple of days.

Farmidillo posted:

Good luck Libs, you're going to need it with Tony "I hate women" Abbot in charge.

miss_chaos posted:

Oh my god, Abbot is going to get wasted by Rudd. This guy is going to be steamrolled on every possible angle.

Rudd's people will be having a conga line through the office at the moment.

Senor Tron posted:

I know Rudd has been pretty consistent in saying he wouldn't call a double dissolution, but this really makes it more certain for me he will drag out the election for as long as possible. Put up with more short term obstruction for longer term benefit of the Liberals losing more voters.

I'm laughing at the Liberal Party right now, but I'm not looking forward to Labor having complete control and seeing what things like the internet filter they push through.

miss_chaos posted:

Hockey's press conference is excellent.

Doesn't take much to see that he'll be waiting in the shadows for when Abbot self-implodes.

Happycataclysm posted:

As someone with a firm track record of voting Liberal (shock!), there is no way I could have voted for that oaf Hockey, and DEFINITELY not the backwards uber-conservative Abbot. The Libs have just laid down and hosed themselves out of the already minor chance they had for the next election.

I admittedly have a hard-on for Turnbull. I'm of the mind that he's a very clever, genuine, hard-working man and a great match intellectually for Rudd. The politics world just doesn't seem to be suited to his kind unfortunately, and he's leading a party of muppets which would have been endlessly frustrating. Sigh.

Rudd will likely get my vote this time around. The guy's a two-faced operator but at least he's clever and has a much firmer sense of reality than Abbot.

Hookshot posted:

I wish we still had the Embassy in LF

Abbott being leader is pretty hilarious. I can't decide if I want an election now, or if it would be better to give the Liberals a bit of time to understand what it's like to basically have a Republican (in the American sense, obviously) as their leader.

It's not a perfect analogy, but given the hell timeline we're living in I wouldn't be banking everything on Dutton losing the Libs votes.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really hope Dutton challenges, no matter what happens Australia wins

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I too remember thinking Abbott was going to be self destructive :smith:

I didn't realise how self destructive Rudd was, and how out of his depth Rudd was when things didn't go his way.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Abbott was self-destructive, eventually.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I love that people can present a coherent, evidence based argument that Abbott rolling Turnbull in 2010 is an absolutely garbage comparison to Dutton doing the same thing in 2018, and Auspol posters will still call the next election for Dutton.

Magnificent.

Edit: I think part of the issue with 2010 was that we all had far less reason to be quite so heavily engaged in politics, to the level we are now. Sure, Labor were doing their absolute best to gently caress progressive politics in the eye for the next decade, but for the most part it wasn't a case of every day, something worse like it is now.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 17, 2018

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I think the general public of today are more environmentally conscious thank 8 years ago. Abbott got in when coal was hip but now people are just sick of hearing about coal and just want to execute the electricity companies.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

I love that people can present a coherent, evidence based argument that Abbott rolling Turnbull in 2010 is an absolutely garbage comparison to Dutton doing the same thing in 2018, and Auspol posters will still call the next election for Dutton.

Magnificent.

Edit: I think part of the issue with 2010 was that we all had far less reason to be quite so heavily engaged in politics, to the level we are now. Sure, Labor were doing their absolute best to gently caress progressive politics in the eye for the next decade, but for the most part it wasn't a case of every day, something worse like it is now.

Framing this post so when Dutton is elected in a landslide and abolishes the senate we can all point at it and remember the better times. Before the great darkness.

Remember I was right about Trump.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Trump and Abbott both happened before 2018, where anything is possible and the more bad it is the more likely though.

The margins were actually super thin for both, and exit polling put them within the margin of error iirc. Blind optimism was a problem for me both times.

This IS different though. While I'm not going to claim it's impossible for the Liberals to make up the ground they've lost, which is NOT well reflected in current polling (look at the difference between polls for the recent by election and the actual outcomes if you need proof of the delta between newspoll's 2pp and the likely real world outcome).

A shrewd operator like Howard or a pre-brainworms Abbott might have been able to turn this around. Bishop? If her own party didn't white-ant the poo poo out of her. Hell, if it wasn't for the gang of far right shitheels white-anting Turnbull, he'd probably be doing better.

I don't see the current liberal/national party room coming back from this. I'm not going to toxx on it because 2018, but Dutton definitely isn't their winning solution. He's a bully, and he won't be able to unite the party behind him any better than Abbott could.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

hooman posted:

UWA's rating on facebook has gone from 4.9 to 3.7 in 2 days.

They're getting savaged over hosting hate group speakers.

Good.

UWA just cancelled the speaking thing

e: Apparently on a technicality, but I am guessing that the Uni is probably glad that they could cancel the booking

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

GoldStandardConure posted:

Framing this post so when Dutton is elected in a landslide and abolishes the senate we can all point at it and remember the better times. Before the great darkness.

Remember I was right about Trump.

OK, Cassandra.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

DUTTON: I AM THE SENATE

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Recoome posted:

UWA just cancelled the speaking thing

e: Apparently on a technicality, but I am guessing that the Uni is probably glad that they could cancel the booking

It almost reads like the VC asked her operations manager to find a solution to cancel the event without making it look like she gave in to pressure, doesn't it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

Would you Toxx yourself for if it happens?

It probably won't, the evidence says it won't, but in a world where Brexit is happening, Trump is US president and Tony Abbott became PM anyone who rules anything out is mad.

edit: You already addressed it.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah. Toxxing for election results in 2018 is kinda batshit.

That said, it's only :tenbux: - but we lose so much more than that so I wouldn't wanna jinx it.

In order to get to a place where Dutton becomes PM, we're talking about a stolen election. Not the way the Libs usually do it, through a coordinated media campaign of deceit - I mean the way the Republicans do it. Voter suppression, fraud, hacking, foreign collusion etc. It would mean the AFP and ASIO and other elements of the Home Affairs portfolio working to impugn the democratic process. While the infrastructure is there to support this, thanks to BOTH parties voting for it, Labor must be fairly convinced the checks and balances in place are sufficient to prevent it, or they wouldn't have voted for it, even if it would have given the libs/media a platform to campaign on.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The resemblance to Himmler is uncanny.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Peter Dutton will collaborate with Indonesian Boat Smugglers to hack the election and win a majority.

Bill Shorten will be publicly hanged.

Tax breaks for potato farmers.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Anidav posted:

Peter Dutton will collaborate with Indonesian Boat Smugglers to hack the election and win a majority.

Bill Shorten will be publicly hanged.

As long as anyone who moderates a forum is publicly shamed and sent to a gulag, then I can deal with it

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Don Dongington posted:

The excuse was super good: "they didn't complete the venue booking paperwork in time"

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
The potato being PM sounds like our version. Of Trump but with less money.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
I'm not sure comparing an Australia election to a UK or US one is fair, they have opt in voting, we have compulsory voting. And barring anyone whose just skipped out on enrolling for year after year, we don't have a large number of people who go 'well, it'll probably be alright so I won't vote'.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Dutton 4 fuhrer

Vote 1

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Konomex posted:

I'm not sure comparing an Australia election to a UK or US one is fair, they have opt in voting, we have compulsory voting. And barring anyone whose just skipped out on enrolling for year after year, we don't have a large number of people who go 'well, it'll probably be alright so I won't vote'.

I feel like compulsory voting and the additional choice provided by STV make it even more astonishing we keep voting against our own interests

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I mean we have compulsory voting in that if you bother to enrol and don't show up on the day you get a fine.

We still have a massive cohort of 18-25 year olds who either don't enrol or vote informally. They also don't take part in polls for the most part though, and the mass-enrolment during the SSM plebiscite may have some interesting side-effects.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

tony galati can gently caress off

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

It's not a perfect analogy, but given the hell timeline we're living in I wouldn't be banking everything on Dutton losing the Libs votes.

Never discount the hierarchial drones deciding "he's a bastard but he's OUR bastard". If the Libs can sell the threat to them well, that can be enough to corral the swingers. On the other hand, a whole bunch of millenials signed up to vote thanks to the plebiscite backfiring, and Dutton is so polarising it might offset that factor. We can only know with a vote.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

ewe2 posted:

If the Libs can sell the threat to them well, that can be enough to corral the swingers.

I find it's hard to tie swingers to a single option

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Konomex posted:

Literally just over 9% of those enrolled at the 2016 election didn't vote (~approx.1.3m people).

https://www.aec.gov.au/About_AEC/research/files/voter-turnout-2016.pdf

Don Dongington posted:

I mean we have compulsory voting in that if you bother to enrol and don't show up on the day you get a fine.

We still have a massive cohort of 18-25 year olds who either don't enrol or vote informally.

From the same, only an average of 4% of votes were informal - 616000 people.

Not hugely significant.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://thenewdaily.com.au/money/finance-news/2018/08/16/nbn-morrow-backflip-regional/

Lol the government actually had to oppose it for him to climb down. Just imagine what $20 extra for rural voters would have done.

I find it's hard to tie swingers to a single option

"swingers" in this sense being the Liberal voters who still think they are moderates.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GoldStandardConure posted:

don't you think it would be better though to let these people talk and not silence them though huh sunlight is the best disinfectant

Nah, gently caress that :decorum: bullshit.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

snoremac posted:

The resemblance to Himmler is uncanny.
That's "Himms" thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Nah, gently caress that :decorum: bullshit.

i wasn't serious

• Locked thread