Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Only because it didn't go far enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

They did that, though, Disney Infinity was actually quite popular and had figures for every character in the game which was constantly expanding.

Then they closed it down cause it cost too much, even while making money.

Infinity I think actually ran into one of the inherent problems with this; trying to have all the characters adhere to a recognisable aesthetic at all once as well as in a video game that not everyone necessarily likes.

The whole game-accessory-figurines thing has kinda burnt itself out pretty bad now. Infinity's dead, games stores have tubs full of second hand Skylanders they're trying to get rid of, Lego Dimensions I think mostly sold in the first place for the figures rather than the game and the remainders are gathering dust on shelves... it's even getting hard to find new Amiibos in some places, though they've mostly sidestepped the issue by, well, being by a game company in the first place and thus tied to games that people actually want on their own merits.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

My friend, you need to think bigger. Imagine a movie, with all characters. Every shot is a panoramic sweep of pop culture history, averaging 339 intellectual properties per second of film footage. The narrative is nothing more than the kaleidoscopic movements of these figures.

the simpsons intro?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

there's way more narrative in the Simpsons intro

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

paradoxGentleman posted:

And it sucks!
Well, the book sucks. I've heard the movie might be slightly better?

It sucks, too

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Disney Infinity also ran into the problem of being a fairly boring game. Maybe later iterations improved on it, but my wife and I got it for her sisters when they were really into Minecraft and the game is too directionless to be fun as a campaign and too sparse to be fun as a sandbox.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I saw videos of people playing it and it looked loving godawful

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funny side effect of mainstream game development becoming so much more expensive is that it's pretty much wiped out crappy tie-in games other than phone games (which are basically an entirely different market) because you can't half-rear end it anymore, and you can't make even passably decent video games without having a studio that is both sufficiently funded and knows what they're doing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Shame, because the Burger King x-box games were actually among the best games for that console.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny side effect of mainstream game development becoming so much more expensive is that it's pretty much wiped out crappy tie-in games other than phone games (which are basically an entirely different market) because you can't half-rear end it anymore, and you can't make even passably decent video games without having a studio that is both sufficiently funded and knows what they're doing.

Conversely, indie games are making tons of great games with shoestring budgets and teams of two or three people.

It's mostly the middle ground between the $50,000 games and the $50,000,000 games that's been wiped out, which is where tie-in games used to live. They're not gone entirely, Lego Incredibles came out pretty close to the movie's release, but they're not flooding store shelves the way they did in the PS1 era.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Star Wars: Resistance trailer out now:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1030469299691970560

(Apropos of nothing: 10pm seems late for a children's cartoon - when I was little, Cartoon Network stopped at 9pm and became TNT.)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

I kind of...hate the aesthetic? The cel shaded faux-2D characters are honestly a bit nauseating to me.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

In the end, I wound up learning about a Zootopia shirt I hadn't seen before and picked it up last night. The clerk says the chain's looking into more Zoo-themed for adults going forward, but I don't know how much a clerk at a random Disney Store actually knows about the matter.

Kind of a missed opportunity not making that shirt a button-up short sleeve as opposed to just a T-shirt, but I suppose that might cost a fair bit more than the fare you'd sell at The Disney Store, so.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

I kind of...hate the aesthetic? The cel shaded faux-2D characters are honestly a bit nauseating to me.

The style sort of reminds me of these two cartoons I remember from a while ago, but I don't remember what they were called: one was on Cartoon Network and had a kind of post-apocalyptic setting with a team of four or five teenagers flying about in an airship fighting bad guys on either flying surfboards or motorbikes; the other was this futuristic outer space show in which everything is resolved by superpowered football (soccer) matches (it switched up between this kind of style during said matches, then had a more traditional-looking style the rest of the time).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Shadow Hog posted:

In the end, I wound up learning about a Zootopia shirt I hadn't seen before and picked it up last night. The clerk says the chain's looking into more Zoo-themed for adults going forward, but I don't know how much a clerk at a random Disney Store actually knows about the matter.

Kind of a missed opportunity not making that shirt a button-up short sleeve as opposed to just a T-shirt, but I suppose that might cost a fair bit more than the fare you'd sell at The Disney Store, so.

I asked at a Disney Store once about Gravity Falls merch, and the employee there insisted it wasn’t a Disney cartoon.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i watched shrek 1 for the first time in years yesterday and i hated it

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think that Céll shaded style looks a whole lot nicer than bargain full lighting/rendering that Clone Wars has. If you’re a feature film and can afford a fully lit and subsurfaced setup, go for it. But tv does not have those kinda budgets.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Rebels looked fine, though.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
It just makes me think of that CGI Spiderman cartoon MTV did, only slightly better rendered and animated.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

Just finished the last season of Trollhunters and man that thing is much better than it should be. Didn’t realize Anthon Yelchin played Jim and that’s kinda sad.

What does better than it should be mean? It's an animated tv show from Guillermo Del Toro

Wheat Loaf posted:

(Apropos of nothing: 10pm seems late for a children's cartoon - when I was little, Cartoon Network stopped at 9pm and became TNT.)

Justice League used to premiere at 9-9:30 and that was like fifteen years ago.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Thompsons posted:

It just makes me think of that CGI Spiderman cartoon MTV did, only slightly better rendered and animated.
I think you're not remembering just how bad that show looked. It wasn't just that it was bad CGI. It was just badly directed. Like it's hard to imagine that show having storyboards.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Unmature posted:

What does better than it should be mean? It's an animated tv show from Guillermo Del Toro

Honestly, I've always wanted to give the show a watch. My only exposure to it was a series of obnoxious videos discussing it thanks to a well-meaning (but kinda dense) friend of mine randomly linking them to me.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Phylodox posted:

I watched the two part Godzilla Anime and it had this style. I found it kind of distracting.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
the merch besmirched

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pick posted:

Shame, because the Burger King x-box games were actually among the best games for that console.

Sneak King owned.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The style sort of reminds me of these two cartoons I remember from a while ago, but I don't remember what they were called: one was on Cartoon Network and had a kind of post-apocalyptic setting with a team of four or five teenagers flying about in an airship fighting bad guys on either flying surfboards or motorbikes; the other was this futuristic outer space show in which everything is resolved by superpowered football (soccer) matches (it switched up between this kind of style during said matches, then had a more traditional-looking style the rest of the time).

first sounds almost like Code Lyoko - which was notorious for all the kids have not fiveheads and sixheads, even sevenheads, the second doesn't sound familiar.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I found it - it was called Storm Hawks.

Ran on Toonami from 2007 to 2009, which seems about right.

As far as ongoing CG animated series go, the one I remember as looking the worst was one I think Disney had (though they didn't make it, as far as I'm aware - they just had it on their channel) called Monster By Mistake.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 18, 2018

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

that's a show??? that look like someone's lovely Deviant Art mock up with their Jak and Dex OCs

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

It looked a lot better in motion. I'm suspecting thats actually a deviantart fanmade promo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Found it on GIS - it looked official to me.

In any event, the entire series seems to be on YouTube (first episode) if you want to see it in action.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC Storm Hawks is decidedly average, the plot is pretty much entirely cliche but there's nothing particularly wrong with it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Storm Hawks is someone's favorite show and that person really wants a Netflix revival. There's at least one person.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Storm Hawks is someone's favorite show and that person really wants a Netflix revival. There's at least one person.

That person is “whoever owns the Storm Hawks IP”

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Welp

https://twitter.com/aptkr_/status/1030582001336635392

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I have very conflicting feelings about taking that to Twitter.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm hearing mixed on disenchantment. Someone give me the definitive take

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A waste of time but not completely garbage.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've watched five episodes and it's pretty fun. The dialogue is mostly funny and the sight gags are usually great. It's more violent and dirty than I expected but it's no Rick & Morty where some episodes made me feel like taking a shower afterwards.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm hearing mixed on disenchantment. Someone give me the definitive take

It's good but it is not Futurama or the Simpsons in that it is definitely one large arc that is building on itself and ties together more strictly (like Venture Bros does), but still has Groening humor, with a little more room to breathe. Good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Same plus pretty backgrounds