Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ha, in response to FiveThirtyEight putting up their site, people were preemptively posting that it was of course time for a bunch of jerks to post up a prediction that was wrong and not from the week prior to the election. Three days before the election, they had Clinton's odds at 64%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Now we can buy some more jet fighters!

It's fighter jets, Donnie, and even then only if you're 12

Reminds me of this ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWJeqrvoF6M

Oops double post.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Bowser and Trump must have had a discussion about Who Run Barter Town

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Ha, in response to FiveThirtyEight putting up their site, people were preemptively posting that it was of course time for a bunch of jerks to post up a prediction that was wrong and not from the week prior to the election. Three days before the election, they had Clinton's odds at 64%.

I don't know why people have such a hard time understanding that statistical predictions like this are not vote tallies. 64% odds of winning still gave Trump a 1 in 3 chance of winning, and 538 specifically talked about how they were seeing worrying results out of Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin well before the election.

Put more plainly, 64 or 75% odds doesn't guarantee an outcome, and Nate Silver has always been very upfront about that compared to other odds makers.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

I don't know why people have such a hard time understanding that statistical predictions like this are not vote tallies. 64% odds of winning still gave Trump a 1 in 3 chance of winning, and 538 specifically talked about how they were seeing worrying results out of Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin well before the election.

Put more plainly, 64 or 75% odds doesn't guarantee an outcome, and Nate Silver has always been very upfront about that compared to other odds makers.

Then why post it at all instead of just telling people to go vote? It’s really stupid to post anything that shows odds in favor of one thing or another, especially when you are fully aware that people will interpret it incorrectly.

It’s setting it up for failure. You’re not going to educate people on what polls mean so stop feeding into their ignorance.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
That's part of why FiveThirtyEight still puts up percentage odds, but in big, bold letters uses a different metric. 3 in 4 chance, for example.

It seems the average person understands 3 in 4 chance better than saying someone has a 75% chance of winning, even though they're identical. Maybe the latter gets read as 75% of votes, which would be a landslide?

boop the snoot posted:

Then why post it at all instead of just telling people to go vote? It’s really stupid to post anything that shows odds in favor of one thing or another, especially when you are fully aware that people will interpret it incorrectly.

It’s setting it up for failure. You’re not going to educate people on what polls mean so stop feeding into their ignorance.

:what:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

That's part of why FiveThirtyEight still puts up percentage odds, but in big, bold letters uses a different metric. 3 in 4 chance, for example.

It seems the average person understands 3 in 4 chance better than saying someone has a 75% chance of winning, even though they're identical. Maybe the latter gets read as 75% of votes, which would be a landslide?

I think you're right. I think people literally thought it meant Clinton was going to win 75% of the electoral vote or something, even though the model itself was only ever assessing how likely it was that a candidate would get to 270 votes.

The 538 house model is interesting because while it's assessing the chances that the Dems will retake the house, they also created a normal distribution showing how many seats they would gain along the bell curve and the probability of each outcome.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Solution: make every American play XCOM and then ask them how confident they are with 64% odds.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Vasudus posted:

Solution: make every American play XCOM and then ask them how confident they are with 64% odds.

I'm not confident with 95% odds in xcom most of the time. How the gently caress do you miss the alien right beside you???

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Vasudus posted:

Trump winning was my 25% shotgun hit chance that missed the sectoid, but nailed the truck behind it, blowing up the truck and the sectoid.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1030451360779710465?s=19

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Vilerat and his mom come to mind.

Speaking of, was Vilerats Mom an actual Trumpists or was she so blinded by rage/sadness/angst that she willfully allowed herself to be coopted by the big orange idiot?

Has she ever expressed any regret for her role in getting Trump elected?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

God drat you're triggering me.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

:tesla:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Speaking of, was Vilerats Mom an actual Trumpists or was she so blinded by rage/sadness/angst that she willfully allowed herself to be coopted by the big orange idiot?

Has she ever expressed any regret for her role in getting Trump elected?

I don't have a specific source for this handy, but from what I remember:

1. He and the mother were estranged, mostly because the mother was a source of Vilerat's perennial "Post your crazy email forwards" posts in D&D.
2. Vilerat's wife wanted absolutely nothing to do with politics and refused to make statements.
3. (This one I'm a bit fuzzier on) I think that Vilerat gave the survivor's benefits to the wife and none to the estranged mother, which likely broke the mother further.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Vasudus posted:

:bisonyes:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

bulletsponge13 posted:

Can you give us a TL;DR version?

quote:

One of the most famous exchanges in the twentieth century is recorded in Sir Ernest Shackleton’s South! – the account of his ill-fated Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition of 1914-17, and the book that helped to secure Shackleton’s legacy as a leading exemplar of British heroism.

Shackleton and his crew set off from Plymouth in August 1914 at the outbreak of the Great War, having petitioned the Admiralty to offer their services to the war effort, only to receive a one-word telegram ordering them to ‘proceed’. Apart from brief calls at Buenos Aires and South Georgia, the expedition was then completely out of contact with the outside world as the war progressed.

The long and arduous entrapment of the expedition crew in the Antarctic ice are stuff of legend. After the sinking of the Endurance in November 1915, the famous 1300km voyage of the tiny boat James Caird from Elephant Island to South Georgia to summon aid is rightfully described as one of the greatest feats of maritime navigation in modern times.

Upon finally reaching the Norwegian whaling station at Stromness in May 1916, the exhausted and relieved party begged for news of the outside world, having been totally isolated from developments. Shackleton recites the scene in South!:

Shivering with cold, yet with hearts light and happy, we set off towards the whaling-station, now not more than a mile and a half distant. The difficulties of the journey lay behind us. We tried to straighten ourselves up a bit, for the thought that there might be women at the station made us painfully conscious of our uncivilized appearance. Our beards were long and our hair was matted. We were unwashed and the garments that we had worn for nearly a year without a change were tattered and stained. Three more unpleasant-looking ruffians could hardly have been imagined. [Shackleton’s navigator, New Zealander Frank] Worsley produced several safety-pins from some corner of his garments and effected some temporary repairs that really emphasized his general disrepair. Down we hurried, and when quite close to the station we met two small boys ten or twelve years of age. I asked these lads where the manager's house was situated. They did not answer. They gave us one look—a comprehensive look that did not need to be repeated. Then they ran from us as fast as their legs would carry them. We reached the outskirts of the station and passed through the "digesting-house," which was dark inside. Emerging at the other end, we met an old man, who started as if he had seen the Devil himself and gave us no time to ask any question. He hurried away. This greeting was not friendly. Then we came to the wharf, where the man in charge stuck to his station. I asked him if Mr. Sorlle (the manager) was in the house.

"Yes," he said as he stared at us.

"We would like to see him," said I.

"Who are you?" he asked.

"We have lost our ship and come over the island," I replied.

"You have come over the island?" he said in a tone of entire disbelief.

The man went towards the manager's house and we followed him. I learned afterwards that he said to Mr. Sorlle: "There are three funny-looking men outside, who say they have come over the island and they know you. I have left them outside." A very necessary precaution from his point of view.

Mr. Sorlle came out to the door and said, "Well?"

"Don't you know me?" I said.

"I know your voice," he replied doubtfully. "You're the mate of the Daisy."

"My name is Shackleton," I said.

Immediately he put out his hand and said, "Come in. Come in."

"Tell me, when was the war over?" I asked.

"The war is not over," he answered. "Millions are being killed.
Europe is mad. The world is mad.
"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Vasudus posted:

:xcom:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
One thing that really struck me about Shackleton was how in tune he was to the people under his command and what an effective leader that (plus wisdom) helped make him. It's an ability I both admire and could never hope to emulate.

For example, Frank could endure hardship but was vain. Shackleton therefore always made a point to tell Frank his intended actions and ask for his thoughts before proceeding. Frank was therefore always in the loop / first to know important things. The captain consulted with him, even though he had no leadership burden himself and had no need to know. But it kept Frank's basic needs satisfied.

I do know that when people like Frank don't get the recognition/importance they feel they deserve, they seek it elsewhere which usually means Empire-building and undermining of any existing structure or "rival". That's really not the direction a harrowed mess of people in a survival situation need.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Vasudus posted:

God drat genius.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

shame on an IGA posted:

A thriving drug market is the first point of evidence I've heard that Tesla might be a legit auto factory. Only one dealer though? Amateurs.

It's a very isolated area, with a pretty shocking number of obvious tweakers. The nearest town is a true shithole.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

"never tell me the odds"

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Shackleton was frikkin' amazing, and the documentary where they recreated the epic journey on the James Caird was absolutely great. I would have died before they ever even got off of the ice hahah.

http://www.pbs.org/program/chasing-shackleton/

Highly recommended watch even if you've never read the book or anything.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I think it was the PYF Scary wiki thread, but someone posted a great long form article about the expedition that explained terrifyingly well the odds of making it to that postage stamp island 500 NM away, and how basically it was skill, tenacity, luck, and massive balls to make it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Very sad what they are doing to good person Manafort

Let's review what a good person he is
1. Worked for Russia
2. Worked for Russian-backed sham Ukrainian government
3. Worked for Pakistan's ISI
4. Massive financial crimes
5. Forced his wife to participate in gangbangs while he watched, that caused her serious psychological problems.

A good person indeed

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Forever War 3.0

https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1030486187348291584?s=19

https://twitter.com/colincampbell/status/1030481823703420928?s=19

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Erik Prince is so hosed in the head that the only remedy is probably a drone strike.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
How do you privatize a war? Doesn’t the money ultimately come from taxes anyway?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Haha isn’t that the same Blackwater/Eric prince group that committed war crimes in Iraq AND got a few of their mercs strung up on a bridge in Fallujah?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
For what it’s worth*, the NSC spokesperson says POTUS is not considering Prince’s proposal.

*I’ve no idea what it’s worth, myself

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

For what it’s worth*, the NSC spokesperson says POTUS is not considering Prince’s proposal.

*I’ve no idea what it’s worth, myself
Then we find out that Donnie hashed it out with Prince using his personal cell phone and we're paying them twice as much as they asked for.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Haha isn’t that the same Blackwater/Eric prince group that committed war crimes in Iraq AND got a few of their mercs strung up on a bridge in Fallujah?

the exact same.

his sister is also Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos. they're probably the scummiest family in America

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

quote:

When Trump announced the current strategy, he noted that his "original instinct was to pull out, and historically I like following my instincts." 

If this image is going to be stuck in my mind, everyone else has to suffer as well.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

How do you privatize a war? Doesn’t the money ultimately come from taxes anyway?

yeah unless you go full on east india company and pillage their resources

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

yeah unless you go full on east india company and pillage their resources

Pls don't reveal my civ v tactics

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Pls don't reveal my civ v EUIV tactics

Ftfy

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Prince was a SEAL, Fox News talks that up and the CHUDS back it because SEALs are their favorite species of military

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

maffew buildings posted:

Prince was a SEAL, Fox News talks that up and the CHUDS back it because SEALs are their favorite species of military

Because they get soldiers killed?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

McNally posted:

Because they get soldiers killed?

Even if they have to do it themselves!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Tesla is having a bad day lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Tesla owes like a billion dollars (200/800-ish) in different convertible bonds and the first one is coming up really soon. If they have to pay out both of them, which they almost assuredly will, that's more than the cash they have on hand right now.

• Locked thread