Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know what this manga needs right loving now?

More Eizan faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

You know I'm still counting this as a "lost his knife" arc because he's clearly now going to obsess over recovering his dad's knife that teacherboy has.

I keep calling him teacherboy because I've forgotten his name even though it was said again this chapter.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I guess we’re just rolling with every good dish physically affecting people, too. At least cooking Raditz will probably get dispatched in a couple of chapters once Goku Souma and his hated enemy/rival Piccolo Eizan team up to rescue Gohan Erina. I wonder what cooking Nappa and cooking Vegeta will look like?

I actually do not really know what I’m reading this for anymore, it’s been the Souma show for ages so it’s not really the interesting characters, the cooking has become super one-dimensional lately and you don’t really get that interesting crossover with real world poo poo that there used to be, and the romance subplot went from a slow build that could work organically to whatever this coarse, hamfisted hackjob is.

Is it just Tosh art?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

hahahhahahaha

he put him in the garbage

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly this new stuff is entertainingly stupid.

Yeah the only thing I really hate is how similar this setup is to Tsukasa's. Soma gets challenged by the teacher after class, loses, but doesn't actually pay anything because the teacher is a dick who lost interest.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yeah the only thing I really hate is how similar this setup is to Tsukasa's. Soma gets challenged by the teacher after class, loses, but doesn't actually pay anything because the teacher is a dick who lost interest.

Well in this case it was not even a Shokugeki.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingofSprings posted:

I guess we’re just rolling with every good dish physically affecting people, too. At least cooking Raditz will probably get dispatched in a couple of chapters once Goku Souma and his hated enemy/rival Piccolo Eizan team up to rescue Gohan Erina. I wonder what cooking Nappa and cooking Vegeta will look like?

I actually do not really know what I’m reading this for anymore, it’s been the Souma show for ages so it’s not really the interesting characters, the cooking has become super one-dimensional lately and you don’t really get that interesting crossover with real world poo poo that there used to be, and the romance subplot went from a slow build that could work organically to whatever this coarse, hamfisted hackjob is.

Is it just Tosh art?
Wait, does that mean that Eizan is going to kill kick Souma out of the Elite 10 and kidnap Erina? :aaa:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Wait, does that mean that Eizan is going to kill kick Souma out of the Elite 10 and kidnap Erina? :aaa:

Erina has learned the ways of cooking in and out but now

She will learn the ways of dollar bills

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
You know what? I don't even care. We got Megumi stomping a fool and Gyaru Megumi out of this arc, I'm calling it a win.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Tosh Knew

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm enjoying this Stupid Romantic Plot, honestly, although mostly because I want lots more panels of Silent Film Damsel In Distress Erina because they make me laugh.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Asahi = the Borg

Soma = Lieutenant Worf

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is it just Tosh art?

Patware posted:

hahahhahahaha

he put him in the garbage

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

I actually do not really know what I’m reading this for anymore, it’s been the Souma show for ages

who would have guessed that the manga shokugeki no souma would be about a guy called souma having shokugekis

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elfgames posted:

who would have guessed that the manga shokugeki no souma would be about a guy called souma having shokugekis

Yeah well when it was at it’s best it wasn’t!!!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Let's be fair, there are 3 things that made Shokugeki no Souma be rad:
  • Equal Opportunity Fanservice
  • Best Boys/Girls
  • Actual, even if short-lived, rivalries; as opposed to "Oh no! Nebulous bad guy threat!"

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/276/5303/1

Looks like we're temporarily shunting aside the New Teacher Is Souma's Brother (And Also Evil) plot for more fun hijinks. Count me in.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/276/5303/1

Basically, welcome to a random beach arc. I assume this is where we're going to find our mooks for the dorm folk to beat up on.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Appreciate that one girl on the panel with Suzuki giving class being honest with herself. :heysexy:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I love that the rumor has evolved to the point where people think Suzuki judoslammed Souma into a trashcan. That's amazing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I barely recognize Yukino anymore.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The editor has officially been dead for three months now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Remind me again why everyone had to get new haircuts at the same time?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arist posted:

I love that the rumor has evolved to the point where people think Suzuki judoslammed Souma into a trashcan. That's amazing.

Who knew Souma's brother would be Immortal Technique?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Clarste posted:

Remind me again why everyone had to get new haircuts at the same time?

Timeskip law

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Timeskip law

Remind me why most of them got awful haircuts

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tsukuda and Saeki read every blog about how NisiOisiN was ruining their Monogatari waifus by giving them different hairstyles and went "Hold my beer..."

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also timeskip law

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
shouldn't more people be worried about a teacher hitting on a student

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

She's also headmaster. Whatever happens in the teachers lounge, stays in the teachers lounge.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Why should this be different from the 570,000 other mangas where this happens?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

When they’re 20-21 and the “student” signs their paycheques I think the power imbalance is waaaaaay in the other direction.

That said the guy is deffo a creep who’s trying to be “thingserinalikes.txt” and this whole thing is just kinda hosed up and weird and I am now 100% sure Mimasaka will pop out of a bush at some point to say “hey yeah that guy’s a stalker”

E: was it too much for the series to just go “hey she kinda digs Souma now”

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 25, 2018

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Dude should have asked Saiba what happens when you beat Souma in a cooking contest so he'd know to avoid battling him and avoid drawing down the curse.

Saiba had to flee the loving country and go underground to get away from the cooking challenges.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TheKingofSprings posted:

When they’re 20-21 and the “student” signs their paycheques I think the power imbalance is waaaaaay in the other direction.

That said the guy is deffo a creep who’s trying to be “thingserinalikes.txt” and this whole thing is just kinda hosed up and weird and I am now 100% sure Mimasaka will pop out of a bush at some point to say “hey yeah that guy’s a stalker”

E: was it too much for the series to just go “hey she kinda digs Souma now”

This state of affairs will always exist until shounen writers stop being cowards and attempt to write the development of a relationship as opposed to the pursuit of one

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Watsuki is probably the best Shonen Author at showing and writing relationships.

Pity he died last year. Rip.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So I got recommended Shokugeki no Soma and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it the most when it was about people hanging out and getting drunk and cooking and being best buddy's, rather then the nonstop tournaments and cooking challenges. The whole editorial push to constantly escalate the stakes takes away from the series real strength: the adventures of best character Megumi

But also looking back to 2015:

pentyne posted:

The most dangerous cooking of all, underground illegal cooking matches using rare and forbidden ingredients (panda steaks, condor eggs, elvers etc.) You have to bet a part of your body, and the entire scene is dominated by a seedy cabal of Europeans.

We learn this as Soma's Dad shows up and we see he now has a prosthetic leg, and warns Soma that even he was completely outclassed.

The irony of how close that was.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

So I got recommended Shokugeki no Soma and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it the most when it was about people hanging out and getting drunk and cooking and being best buddy's, rather then the nonstop tournaments and cooking challenges. The whole editorial push to constantly escalate the stakes takes away from the series real strength: the adventures of best character Megumi

But also looking back to 2015:

The irony of how close that was.

Jesus Christ I need to go buy some lottery tickets.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So nobody cares about Chapter 277 and the Searing Grand Pot Cliff Midair Death Ritual?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I certainly don't. This was once a promising manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Yeah I'm gonna drop this now.

? ? ?