Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Season 1 and 2 of Fargo are both fantastic, but season 1 is still the top of the crop for me. It’s an amazing echo of the film, while also being its own unique animal. I also let out an audible holy poo poo when the briefcase from the film comes into play.

The second season is interesting because it’s more of a general homage to the Coens as a whole instead of Fargo itself, what with the Big Lebowski music cues and appearance of the UFO’s, directly referencing The Man Who Wasn’t There.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
My theory on Season 3 and why it doesn't quite work is because the overarching theme, that chaos and coincidence in the universe are unstoppable as embodied by Thewlis, wasn't that interesting narratively.

It took one of the best actors the show had ever had in Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and one of the cleverest bits with the rivalry between Ewan McGregors, and it all sort of petered out. The out-there episodes, such as the tie-in with Season 2, didn't feel as interesting as the narrative thrust of previous seasons. I also grew really tired of every season ending in a bloodbath.

But I'm here, ready for Season 4 when it comes!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I also grew really tired of every season ending in a bloodbath.

Yea I think the biggest problem with Fargo at this point is that it's settled into a somewhat predictable pattern. Like, you can't necessarily predict the specific deaths or what exactly will happen to individual characters, but there's a rhythm to the show that is hard to ignore after 3 seasons. Like, you know there's going to be shenanigans at the beginning that lead to a horrible crime, then the main characters are going to get deeper into trouble by their attempts to clean it up, a few more random deaths, and then at the end a major culling where a bunch of people get killed really quickly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I will concede that season 3 ended in a way that could be seen as disappointing, but I was happy with it.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
Just marathoned through Final Space on Netflix last weekend, and really enjoyed it. It has good jokes, good exciting action moments, and some big emotional payoffs. I hope it gets a second season.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

nate fisher posted:

I love Fargo, but season 3 was the worst despite my love of Carrie Coon. Still it was good (my favorite episode was The Law of Non-Contradiction, but that was almost a standalone episode). In the end I just didn't find the cast as characters as interesting as the other 2 seasons.

Also it is hard for me to pick my favorite season of Fargo. I want to say 2, but then I remember how great season 1 was. Pretty much a tie between the first two.

Wow, agree 100% with this post in its entirety. Carrie Coon was by far the most compelling character in Season 3. When she goes and gets the shotgun from her car and heads back in the house calmly and confidently- one of the most understated acts of bad assness I can ever remember seeing on screen. She is such a great actress.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

We randomly found Kim’s Convenience on Netflix, and it’s a pretty goofy, fun show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Disenchantment aka Medieval fantasy Futurama is up on Netflix.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I used to really appreciate Demetri Martin's unorthodox, neurotic, off-brand style of humor. But the man found a formula and has done nothing with it in ten years, and his pseudo-intellectual BS is not nearly as polished this time around.

Avoid The Overthinker

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

veni veni veni posted:

Disenchantment aka Medieval fantasy Futurama is up on Netflix.

Hardest pass possible.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hardest pass possible.

... really? Groening returning from the elemental plane of show creators, along with Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein in the writers' room, is a hard pass for you? I'm kinda stunned.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

God Hole posted:

I used to really appreciate Demetri Martin's unorthodox, neurotic, off-brand style of humor. But the man found a formula and has done nothing with it in ten years, and his pseudo-intellectual BS is not nearly as polished this time around.

Avoid The Overthinker

Does he still have that loving Prince Valiant hairdo? That haircut is a very poor life choice for anyone old enough that, when they wear a sailor suit, it communicates to the world that they are either a sailor or have a very specific fetish.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I watched the first half of the first episode of the new Matt Groening thing and it was bad, sorry. Worse than late bad Futurama, but better than 21st century Simpsons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't like Disenchantment at all but I also never liked Futurama outside of maybe 1/20 episodes. I've honestly never "gotten" the appeal. To me it seems such lazy humor.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

precision posted:

I don't like Disenchantment at all but I also never liked Futurama outside of maybe 1/20 episodes. I've honestly never "gotten" the appeal. To me it seems such lazy humor.

The first 2-3 seasons of Futurama are fantastic, up there with classic Simpsons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Futurama had a few solid seasons. I don't know if I'd put it up there with the Simpsons at it's best. The jokes were never as good but I still thought it was funny at times and the stories were entertaining.

I'll give Disenchanted a whirl but my expectations are low.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

marktheando posted:

The first 2-3 seasons of Futurama are fantastic, up there with classic Simpsons.

I think it's probably true that almost all the episodes I liked were from the first 2 seasons, yeah.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cocoa Ninja posted:

My theory on Season 3 and why it doesn't quite work is because the overarching theme, that chaos and coincidence in the universe are unstoppable as embodied by Thewlis, wasn't that interesting narratively.

It took one of the best actors the show had ever had in Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and one of the cleverest bits with the rivalry between Ewan McGregors, and it all sort of petered out. The out-there episodes, such as the tie-in with Season 2, didn't feel as interesting as the narrative thrust of previous seasons. I also grew really tired of every season ending in a bloodbath.

But I'm here, ready for Season 4 when it comes!

It was thematically very much in tune with No Country For Old Men in that regard tho. So much so that they had Anton Chigur reinacarnated in Hanzee.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

... really? Groening returning from the elemental plane of show creators, along with Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein in the writers' room, is a hard pass for you? I'm kinda stunned.

Ima keep it real, the last 15 years or so of animated sitcoms has been dire.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What, you didn't like The Goode Family, Brickleberry, ChoZen...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Does Venture Bros count as a sitcom? Because it’s still firing on all cylinders.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Does Venture Bros count as a sitcom? Because it’s still firing on all cylinders.

I’m so glad Adult Swim lets them take their sweet time and get it right, that level of consistent quality is truly rare.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Venture Bros. transcends genre. It's so good, especially starting with season 3.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ima keep it real, the last 15 years or so of animated sitcoms has been dire.

Which is why it got my attention when a bunch of dudes from animated sitcoms older than 15 years made this one. :v:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I believe Venture Bros. is filed under the genre “existentialist dread, with jokes.”

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Which is why it got my attention when a bunch of dudes from animated sitcoms older than 15 years made this one. :v:

Have you watched it? I just finished the first whatever, and it's bad. Real bad.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I'm watching that Disenchanted show now. It's not as good as early seasons of Futurama, because it's not remotely as clever, but it's better than the later seasons, because it hasn't been around long enough to basically seem like it's own middling fanfiction. We'll see if it gets better. Or we won't. Fondness for Groening and Oakley can only pull me through so much mediocrity.

Just make a second season of Mission Hill instead, g'dangit.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Have you watched it? I just finished the first whatever, and it's bad. Real bad.

I mean, I haven't yet, but that doesn't mean much to me because I've heard loving wildly varying opinions. From "it's bad overall," to "it starts out bad and gets better, BoJack style," to "it starts out good and is the second coming of Futurama + Mission Hill."

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Disenchantment seems pretty ok. I'm high so that's a factor but its doing some fun things.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

Disenchantment seems pretty ok. I'm high so that's a factor but its doing some fun things.

It's getting better after the first episode.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just finished episode 2: it's still poo poo.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Just finished episode 2: it's still poo poo.

Agreed. Episode three is ... maybe a little better? I might just give up.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I dunno, I'm on the exorcism episode and they're starting to fire some pretty good Oakley era Simpsons one liners. It's not wall to wall wit, but there's some good stuff in there.

"HEY! Nobody talks to me like that except my daughter, and my wife... and now you"

It's not spun gold or anything, but it's clever enough to keep me going.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

God Hole posted:

Avoid The Overthinker

I just watched it and came to the opposite opinion. I think for the most part if you used to like him, you'll like this special. I laughed often and had a sensible chuckle at the less funny bits. The closing joke was really great too. One of my favorites in recent memory

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

Does he still have that loving Prince Valiant hairdo? That haircut is a very poor life choice for anyone old enough that, when they wear a sailor suit, it communicates to the world that they are either a sailor or have a very specific fetish.

Er, it's a Beatles haircut and 45 is still way too old to have it, but so far his set it fine.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

mysterious frankie posted:

I dunno, I'm on the exorcism episode and they're starting to fire some pretty good Oakley era Simpsons one liners. It's not wall to wall wit, but there's some good stuff in there.

"HEY! Nobody talks to me like that except my daughter, and my wife... and now you"

It's not spun gold or anything, but it's clever enough to keep me going.

I’m on that episode, and the show’s... okay. It gets a few chuckles here and there, but it’s nothing special.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

I’m on that episode, and the show’s... okay. It gets a few chuckles here and there, but it’s nothing special.

Agreed. I got through the fourth episode and bowed out. It's not horrible, but it's fatiguing in the way something that is, yes, broken into episodes but is ostensibly meant to be binged, shouldn't be. It's something I wouldn't mind catching a random episode of on Comedy Central, but also wouldn't mind missing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just finished the third and I'm dropping the show. The pace is stilted, and it's very clearly split into joke-setpieces without much continuity. Also, the characters are all insufferable and boring.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Manhattan Baby -italian garbage
That said it's fun

The Seventh Curse - director of Riki oh teams with like twenty years old Chow young fat it's pure gold
Both on prime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Disenchantment was solid. Not great, but solid.