Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Poison Taco's username checks out. What a vile waste of oxygen.

The whole "let's add rape!" exchange was unbelievably :gonk:

Potato Salad posted:

Hey, y'all, prepare yourself for That Kazan
spam

"Modding" text files
Was That Kazan's jam

You're bound to lose control
When That Kazan starts to spam!

Goddamn it, I thought I was the only person who remembered "Rubber Band Man."

Taxxe: a link to ocean cattes; I can't imgur from my phone lately.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Agony Aunt posted:

Woah, look at 1 hour ago. This time of day is traditionally lowest for funding, but i've never seen funding drop to the $100 region per hour.

I guess we can expect a new concept sale soon!

Since they’re already focused on Medical Gameplay, I hope they follow up the Apollo with a gravlev space bike that EMS larpers can use for emergency evacuations.

Mostly though, I’d just like to here Sandi talk more about ”Try-adje” props.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scruffpuff posted:

That's exactly my point, though. You can't say "the networking is hosed" because that would mean fixing the networking would fix the game. It won't. You can't even say "everything is hosed" because that would imply they have functioning game code but it's just very bad and poorly optimized and whatnot.

What CIG has isn't even code. They have not designed a game here - they threw together model viewers, camera hacks, and all kinds of bullshit to give the backers the illusion that they're playing a video game, but it's all smoke and mirrors in the worst way possible.

It's difficult to explain the point I'm trying to make here. ALL games are smoke and mirrors, so long as the end result looks and plays right, that's what matters. What I'm talking about is that under the hood, there is actually no functioning game engine here. The entire thing is a cheat made to look like a video game. They did this when the released the 2.0 PU in December 2015 to start denying refunds. The "build" they released was a front - they had been working on an internal build for years that was 100% broken and unreleasable, but there were orders to release something so they could claim that they'd delivered a "significant portion of the game." So in a few months they hacked together a system with noclip camera zooms approximating what a flying ship would look like, and a bunch of other poo poo too insane to get into. People look at the massless ships and say "oh the physics are off" - no, there are actually no physics at all. Their developers did work on the physics engine, and that code exists somewhere, but it's 100% broken so it's not in the present game. This was the same time they hacked in the now memetic "the player becomes the ship."

The entire thing is like those fake games they design for television shows. Just look at the December 2017 reveal of the SQ42 "progress." You can see the seams everywhere as a team of non-game developers with no experience and no understanding of anything on earth, working under the dumbest fucker imaginable, did what they could to visually approximate what they think they saw when playing real games.

Star Citizen is Ecce Homo, The Game.

Nah, they do have a tiny bit of code, running on the Crytek/Lumberyard engine. If they were just making an FPS that tiny bit of code would be enough. (Again, not a full game, but enough to have like people in a server and have 60fps)

They're not just making an FPS though.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Meh... I'm not an internet lawyer, so none of this really means much to me until there is some sort of tangible outcome. Someone let me know when this goes to trial and things are looking down for Crytek, so they call Derek Smart as a surprise witness and his shocking testimony shuts down CIG forever and they haul the Crobler off to prison and someone in the courtroom audience starts playing the Matlock theme music. Then Space Court Citizen will be good.

In any case, I think CIG being dealt a mortal blow by this lawsuit would be one of the worst outcomes. Not only would the entertainment abrubtly end, and we wouldn't get to see the zealots pure money into this dumpster fire for several years to come; but it would give Chris an easy out and a convenient victim narrative allowing him to go for another crowdfunding scam.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

Wil wheaton's primary role now is acting like a bitch on twitter, so it's probably something about that

Deadguy2322 posted:

He’s retweeting @comicbook.com’s twitter, not hunting anyone down. Is that brigading?

Guess I messed with the wrong weird twitter post. :clint:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Bugs? Bullshit - there's not a single bug in Star Citizen and there never has been. For a game to have a "bug" there has to be a state to compare it against - a known and documented feature that you can contrast and say "it should work like this" and when it doesn't, that's a bug. Star Citizen is a shitload of art assets tossed sideways into a model viewer that occasionally sends packets that may or may not pertain to anything happening anywhere to systems that it may or may not need to send them to. There is no design, no feature set, no gameplay loop, and no expected behavior because they haven't even put in a loving physics or dogfighting game in their spaceship pew pew game yet.

As a player my character should not transform into a deep space spider nightmare because this may not be a bug but it will fuel my nightmares.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Mr Fronts posted:

It got better...

The Sickening Truths Have Been Revealed

Regarding the more mainstream subset of virginal neckbeards supporting this game. I've always been surprised by how sexless and sterile most the SC universe is. Sure you have fetishized spaceships and a lot of manifestations of subconscious phallic insecurity. But where is the more literal nerd wank material in all of this? Like I'm surprised that the Crobler hasn't tried to outdo Mass Effect and the other Bioware games with their nerd romance fantasies. Where are the sexy females with boob windows in the armor? Where are the hot but emotionally tormented gay/bi males fueling terabytes of slash fiction? Where is Liara?

Considering the backers and their dreams of an escape into a new life in space, you'd think romance would be a big selling point and something that CIG could monetize.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
All these suggestions of crazy sex stuff is the echos of the Second Lifers starting to get anxious. It's been a while since CR talked about the girls and every day SC is more of a sausage party than it was before.

Some of the homophobic manly men are probably starting to get worried when two of them wake up together in the same wank pod. Were they wanking together? Did the other guy touch their pelvis finger?

The fear is building...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Kiosk FUD on the subreddit.

Hurry Dolvak — ban him or her for this filth.

quote:

Whilst it's good to see these come online in the near future. It does highlight lack of foresight from those making design decisions relating to multiplayer aspects of the game.

It was never going to be practical to interact with an NPC everytime you need to drop off cargo/mission run.

A lot of wasted effort has been put into the drop off NPCs, when the new drop off points would've been the easiest and most logical ways of handling those types of missions.

We have seen a similar waste of effort on the shops, physically rendering items in the shop, going to each, item and then purchasing was never going to be practical. Now we have retrofitted shop kiosks that will be able to list the vast amount of items available.

There are a lot of things going into this game that seem great from the offset, but practically and realistically will not work in a multiplayer environment.

I hope CIG spend more time understanding basic multiplayer systems rather wasting resources on cool 'realistic' features that will need to be scrapped at a later point.

You are dismissed.

”Now... Let’s get back to those dark corners where anything can happen...”

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

amazing $ per meter value on this ship

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Solarin posted:

amazing $ per meter value on this ship

Punches above its weight, too.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Store Citizer: Chris Roberts hiding in a dark corner, lust for fresh cash is on his mind. Things can happen.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Totally not promotion

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Roadmap update: Rip server meshing

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trying to think of all the experiences you can have with your friends in Star Citizen and then I realized none of those have been implemented yet because realtime mega-MMOs are hard, shockingly

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

G0RF posted:

Since they’re already focused on Medical Gameplay, I hope they follow up the Apollo with a gravlev space bike that EMS larpers can use for emergency evacuations.

Maybe look like helicopters from MASH....only with hoverjets instead of rotorblades.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

MedicineHut posted:

Server tech was always going to be their #1 issue and the people who could pull it off are few and far between. At the beginning they might have been able to lure a half dozen to dozen experts in the field with the ability to do something new/different plus big paychecks, but they didn't and those days are long gone. Nobody with that level of competence wants to be associated with the project now.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Hearing about the newest lawsuit developments from backers first and then going back and reading what actually happened was pretty funny.

"We won! The courts shut down Crytek!"
"The Court hereby denies CIG's attempt to dismiss the case and destroys their argument, but also makes CIG exempt from 1/8th of the possible penalties."

This is like backers claiming a huge victory when the court said "CIG isn't required to submit to discovery because we haven't ordered them to yet. They don't understand that and filed to be exempt from an order that didn't exist like idiots." YAY!! CIG doesn't have to do discovery!!!!

Why would the backers not want discovery? It would be real tangible info about how the funds were spent wouldn't it?
Is it a "yeah, but that means Crytek won an argument in their wrongful lawsuit and we can't have that" thing then?
Or are they afraid of the crap that might surface and shatter their "CIG is the best" life-crutches.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

:laffo:

Dear Skadden intern, please take notes.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Love all the recent happenings.

Space court is getting very exciting, the prospect of discovery and injunctions is quite thrilling.

New sex offender / anal rape gameplay requests.

Derek Smart doing 115 twitters/hour.

Taking ownership of /r/FailGamedevs and seeing the reactions to this, just wow, very well done indeed.

Star Citizen is good again. :downs:

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 18, 2018

dumby
Oct 25, 2007

MedicineHut posted:

Oh wow they couldn't get the physically impossible thing they've been working on for years done in three months.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

colonelwest posted:

Meh... I'm not an internet lawyer, so none of this really means much to me until there is some sort of tangible outcome. Someone let me know when this goes to trial and things are looking down for Crytek, so they call Derek Smart as a surprise witness and his shocking testimony shuts down CIG forever and they haul the Crobler off to prison and someone in the courtroom audience starts playing the Matlock theme music. Then Space Court Citizen will be good.

In any case, I think CIG being dealt a mortal blow by this lawsuit would be one of the worst outcomes. Not only would the entertainment abrubtly end, and we wouldn't get to see the zealots pure money into this dumpster fire for several years to come; but it would give Chris an easy out and a convenient victim narrative allowing him to go for another crowdfunding scam.

Star Citizen 2: The Search for more Cash!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

Oh my, the part about the "grotto" on the ship. Inviting your friends around to relax.

They really are going after the no life, i mean second life crowd.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

AbstractNapper posted:

Why would the backers not want discovery? It would be real tangible info about how the funds were spent wouldn't it?
Is it a "yeah, but that means Crytek won an argument in their wrongful lawsuit and we can't have that" thing then?
Or are they afraid of the crap that might surface and shatter their "CIG is the best" life-crutches.

a lot of them have said theyre afraid crytek is going to steal crobblers genius spaceship programming and use it for themselves lol

The Titanic posted:

All these suggestions of crazy sex stuff is the echos of the Second Lifers starting to get anxious. It's been a while since CR talked about the girls and every day SC is more of a sausage party than it was before.

Some of the homophobic manly men are probably starting to get worried when two of them wake up together in the same wank pod. Were they wanking together? Did the other guy touch their pelvis finger?

The fear is building...

Now introducing the Snicker from RSI. We've taken the Apollo hull you love and swapped the medbay for a tickle dungeon. On sale now for only $750. War bond only.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Agony Aunt posted:

Oh my, the part about the "grotto" on the ship. Inviting your friends around to relax.

They really are going after the no life, i mean second life crowd.

Star Citizen is a game about nothing.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

Wil wheaton's primary role now is acting like a bitch on twitter, so it's probably something about that

Might also have to do with his best friend Chris Hardwick being outed as an abusive poo poo and Wil gong silent about the whole situation after saying he would make a statement about it.

Lowtax made a thread about it in GBS because the woman accusing him was a goon and he considers her a friend.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860204

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 18, 2018

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Protip: Make sure to absolve yourself after space raping someone.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

They Feyd-Rautha avatar fits perfectly with that suggestion.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Star Citizen: You just don't get it

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Do you think they've thought this through, aren't they going to be swamped by father-raping Goons the minute the "game" "comes out"?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I'm fairly annoyed that the MtD decision came almost at the same time the latest WoW expac launched so I was too busy playing a game instead of laughing at cultists.

The "exclusive" part of the decision still seems weird to me but what ever.

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks

Pingiivi posted:

Star Citizen: Hiding in a dark corner. Lust is on his mind. Anything can happen

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

ewe2 posted:

Do you think they've thought this through, aren't they going to be swamped by father-raping Goons the minute the "game" "comes out"?

Imma get that man butt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9WClv4U5B8

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Hobold posted:

I guess the question is, which one does he want to be? Getting some mixed signals here.

"Hellooooo, I am peeking up thee booooox...

"I am about to bend oooooverrrrr... to pick up thee booooox...

"I hope nobody is creeping up on meeeeee...

"Anyone? Hello?"

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

http://docdro.id/N0hyv2e

Pls no discovery, pls, judge, DO SOMETHING

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

In other news, Planet Denizen is going to have functional combat in about two weeks.

Two incompetent nerds (and tuo, which IS competent) cobbled together a near-game in a week and a half. Which makes me violently angry about just how much of a waste of money star citizen is.

gently caress, there's literally nothing to do in it, and I still had more fun flying around in an empty scene shooting PARP targets and zooming around not-to-scale planets than I did last time I made the mistake of checking out SC...

How do you gently caress up that badly? How? Hell I bet if the SC subreddit had ten million dollars, they could band together and make a better space game than croberts by light years.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

http://docdro.id/N0hyv2e

Pls no discovery, pls, judge, DO SOMETHING

:laffo:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

plz wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU