Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
these were the people helping to shape the game, it's systems and it's design

just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Man that looks like a textbook pyramid scheme event.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I suppose becoming a pyramid scheme is actually an improvement for most Kickstarter MMOs.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

I literally can not watch this for multiple reasons

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't wait for this lovely game to fail so all these bank sitters are forced into LoU where I can steal their boat keys and fart emote at them

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

http://ultimacodex.com/2018/08/sergorn-dragon-sota/

rather informative review that really demonstrates how profoundly broken the promised single player experience is, even if the author is absolutely desperate to find nice things to say

quote:

And how can I not mention companions? In Ultima tradition, Shroud of the Avatar offers three companions (that will only joins you if you play offline though), each being tied to a separate principle and representing a different “class”. They can make some comment during the adventure at specific places or events, sometimes (but rarely) intervene in dialogues and each offers their own quest. It’s pretty decent picture on the whole (though with still a lot of room for improvement) except it’s actually something that was added recently to the game: at launch two of the three companions only had for dialogue “This NPC is still in active development”. Which really feels like a bad joke. And considering the game isn’t really balanced for adventuring the world solo, depriving oneself of the companions isn’t a solution as they are pretty much required if you want to complete the game offline, while it’ll be recommended to team up with other players when playing online.

So sure, companions were improved since launch, but this really showcases the core issue of the game’s development.

Finally, we can’t mention the game’s issues without mentioning the “save” system, and yes it deserves these quotation marks. As you’d expect you can save anywhere and “Continue” the game where you left off… except the game basically doesn’t save ANYTHING about the state of the SCENE you are in! So if for example you save in the middle of a SCENE that you have pretty much emptied of monsters, explored and looted all its chest after you have opened two of three of the locks on the secret door leading to the biggest treasure… and you quit the game and come back… the SCENE will have been COMPLETELY reset! What about all the monsters you killed, the treasures you looted? They’re all back. And the locks? They’ll have been reset as well so you’ll have to find the keys again and start all over! It feels like an antiquated save system from an old console game: unbelievable! Same with the time of day which is based on real world time, so if you save at day… you can reappear at night. There is also no way to “pass time”, so good luck if you plan to use the Lunar Rifts to move around the world : you’ll have to wait till the cycle reach the place you want to go, which sometime amount to doing nothing for half an hour! Oh and it’s the same if you quit a SCENE and come back to it: it’ll have been reset! So we can only give advice not to quit or save the game until you have completed a SCENE at the risk of having to redo everything. And if you save and “load” a game instead of just using “Continue”? You’ll restart at the beginning of the scene, which might force you to have to redo a whole dungeon for example, even in the main plot!

Basically this feels like an online system where someone quickly jerry-rigged a save system without really taking time to put a proper save system as you’d expect in any single player offline game. That’s not exactly painting a good picture of the development, and it’s also not consistent with what had been announced as we’d been promised that the offline version of the game would have SCENES not resetting and a limited respawn. Another aspect obviously not complete.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

quote:

Same with the time of day which is based on real world time

I'm sorry, what? In an MMO?

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

Schubalts posted:

I'm sorry, what? In an MMO?

WoW was like this originally. Didn’t take them long to figure out it was a bad idea, so how this gets repeated a decade an a half later.....ya.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Moo Moo Canoe posted:

it was a bad idea, so how this gets repeated a decade an a half later

Wildstar answered that question, and the answer is idiocy.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

how is wildstar still running

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Percelus posted:

how is wildstar still running

Each year, NCsoft flips a coin for each of it's MMOs to decide whether is gets shut down.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

wildstar hiphop

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wildstar: Peak of 164 playing over the past 24 hour period.

https://steamcharts.com/app/376570

Shroud: Peak of 205 playing over the past 24 hour period.

https://steamcharts.com/app/326160

Talk about a couple of runaway success stories.

Cliffy B's Radical Heights had 12 people playing over the past 24 hours :v:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

apparently someone was selling polynesian outfits for cheap on the unity asset store

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Percelus posted:

apparently someone was selling polynesian outfits for cheap on the unity asset store

That lady looks pretty chill for having two broken arms.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
"forsaken virtues" is the most generic poo poo. They might as well have just called it "video game"

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I think G-rat was just desperate to cram as many Ultima references as possible into the title so he could claim spiritual successor.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

How are things like the overall graphical quality of this game not raising huge red flags? This poo poo looks halfway-acceptable in like maybe 2004

Are people really hungering this badly for a new Ultima clone?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Chrysophylax posted:

How are things like the overall graphical quality of this game not raising huge red flags? This poo poo looks halfway-acceptable in like maybe 2004

Did you skip the entirety of the thread or what

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Chrysophylax posted:

Apparently not lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chrysophylax posted:

In all seriousness? No, not really. At least not enough people to crowd fund a new RPG to the point where it could be completed.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Did you skip the entirety of the thread or what

I said come in! posted:

In all seriousness? No, not really. At least not enough people to crowd fund a new RPG to the point where it could be completed.

I did read the thread but I guess I asked a poor question.

I'm just surprised it got as far as it did even though it looks like that (plus all the other problems).

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Arms_Akimbo posted:

"forsaken virtues" is the most generic poo poo. They might as well have just called it "video game"

I think it describes quite well what the game has become

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i wonder what kind of salary garriott drew for his efforts here. bet it was high. he did a lot of work.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chrysophylax posted:

I've seen garbage graphics like this in alphas transform into delightful visuals later once the art team did their magic and so on. The first playable alpha of Divinity Original Sin looked loving terrible to the point it arguably looked worse than Divinity 1.

Shroud never had an art team as such so everything looks like a unity asset flip. For a good reason in many cases because "placeholder" became permanent quite a bit.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I know people that were on Shroud’s art team and oh wow were they excited and proud to uproot their families and move to to work with game dev legend Richard Garriot on his return to glory

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Capntastic posted:

I know people that were on Shroud’s art team and oh wow were they excited and proud to uproot their families and move to to work with game dev legend Richard Garriot on his return to glory

oops

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I would love to hear from Someone who worked there who is to blame for the whole mess. Did Garriott prefer everyone to listen to the whales or did he never care? Is Chris as insufferable to work with as he sounds?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
nobody listens to the whales.

the business model for anything whale-friendly involves selling them a bill of goods (and doing so at a premium, to boot). only an idiot bitch would fall for it, and they can be trusted to fall in line with whatever you've got going on. they might grumble a bit like warhammer dwarfs, but they'll go along with it for sure. why would anyone ever listen to someone like that? whales are useless blubber barges with no place in the ecosystem. nuke the whales, in fact.

garriott quite literally phoned it in, by way of that nanny cam on wheels. i think this could probably have been a neat little reboot of some of the earlier ultimas, and a fine way to build up a boutique dev studio (sort of like what harebrained did with shadowrun and btech), but it doesn't seem like he was ever really interested in that. some of the early concept art suggested that it might be going in an ultima 1-6 direction, but all the design work pointed to a copy/paste of ultima online. somehow this was going to be both? what? as a freshman offering? how?

i think homeboy just saw the crazy success that croberts had, and knowing that guy to be a moron, figured that he himself could hardly do worse. but then he did. yikes...very embarrassing...

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I whale like a mofo providing the core underlying gameplay loop is good. I mean the ffxiv devs basically siphon money out of me. But I’m not buying cosmetic poo poo for reskinned ultimate online, sorry.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
The most charitable outlook is that Garriott set out to make a legit good MMO, but things went south during the production, so he said 'gently caress it, let's cut costs and push it out the door.' The least charitable is that Garriott is retiring, and decided to milk all the goodwill that he build up over the past 40 years into cash.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Gynovore posted:

The most charitable outlook is that Garriott set out to make a legit good MMO, but things went south during the production, so he said 'gently caress it, let's cut costs and push it out the door.' The least charitable is that Garriott is retiring, and decided to milk all the goodwill that he build up over the past 40 years into cash.

Garriott's a narcissist; I firmly believe the sum total point of this project from end to end has been to get him back in the news and getting interview requests. And if he makes a few million more dollars from his exclusive rights to the Shroud of the Avatar license, kindly licensed to his own loving studio? Welllll, that's just fine too.

Game design isn't an inherently public-facing position; the "celebrity" game devs from the 80s and 90s are huge presshounds.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Im pretty sure Garriott started Portalarium because he wanted the French lady he was dating to think he was actually a successful entrepreneur doing big things rather than some washed up has been. Once they tied the knot he didnt even bother sticking around Austin to pretend to give a poo poo and instead spent most of his time trying to sell his castle and move to NYC. Hes still cashing those checks they send him though, no doubt about that.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Adept Nightingale posted:

Garriott's a narcissist; I firmly believe the sum total point of this project from end to end has been to get him back in the news and getting interview requests. And if he makes a few million more dollars from his exclusive rights to the Shroud of the Avatar license, kindly licensed to his own loving studio? Welllll, that's just fine too.

Game design isn't an inherently public-facing position; the "celebrity" game devs from the 80s and 90s are huge presshounds.

It is time to repost this gem of an interview:

I've met virtually no one in our industry who I think is close to as good a game designer as I am. I'm not saying that because I think I'm so brilliant. What I'm saying is, I think most game designers really just suck.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I like how after they fired everyone the emails don't have as much art in them now. It's just bullet points.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Capntastic posted:

have you talked to them lately?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Soup du Journey posted:

nobody listens to the whales.

the business model for anything whale-friendly involves selling them a bill of goods (and doing so at a premium, to boot). only an idiot bitch would fall for it, and they can be trusted to fall in line with whatever you've got going on. they might grumble a bit like warhammer dwarfs, but they'll go along with it for sure. why would anyone ever listen to someone like that? whales are useless blubber barges with no place in the ecosystem. nuke the whales, in fact.

garriott quite literally phoned it in, by way of that nanny cam on wheels. i think this could probably have been a neat little reboot of some of the earlier ultimas, and a fine way to build up a boutique dev studio (sort of like what harebrained did with shadowrun and btech), but it doesn't seem like he was ever really interested in that. some of the early concept art suggested that it might be going in an ultima 1-6 direction, but all the design work pointed to a copy/paste of ultima online. somehow this was going to be both? what? as a freshman offering? how?

i think homeboy just saw the crazy success that croberts had, and knowing that guy to be a moron, figured that he himself could hardly do worse. but then he did. yikes...very embarrassing...

if he had hired a legit good art team and had them crank out awesome looking dragons he could have sold limited time only dragon mounts for 10k each easy

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
DID ANYONE GET THEIR BOXES YET?!

I just got mine... and it's all surprisingly well-produced...

Full color manual and book with LB's notes for his Akalabeth D&D campaign.

A coin, a very heterosexual-looking ankh, and a really nice quality cloth map. I'm seriously surprised how nice this stuff is based on... everything else.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Unctuous Cretin posted:

DID ANYONE GET THEIR BOXES YET?!

I just got mine... and it's all surprisingly well-produced...

Full color manual and book with LB's notes for his Akalabeth D&D campaign.

A coin, a very heterosexual-looking ankh, and a really nice quality cloth map. I'm seriously surprised how nice this stuff is based on... everything else.

All for the low, low cost of your dignity and pumping money into a scam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WebDO posted:

All for the low, low cost of your dignity and pumping money into a scam

If you post on SA you've already checked your dignity at the door.

Scam? Well can't argue with that.

Funny story. I've played a few hours of *checks steam library because forgot the name* Resequenced. Which is a small team indie game that uses mostly unity asset store uh... assets. Not quite a flip because there is a complete game in there but it's nothing much to speak of. Never mind the game anyway, it's forgettable but for the price of a couple coffees gently caress it right? The funny part is the first open world level is full of those desert themed houses SotA sells for 50-100 realbucks a pop. You know, as scenery.

I think I paid seven dollars for the game.