Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

:bisonyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

So I guess the wasteland is actually pulse garbodor?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

rannum posted:

So I guess the wasteland is actually pulse garbodor?

That seems believable given what we've seen so far. Surprisingly subtle for this game, so I expect some NPCS will yell about it at some point later.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That was cruel, Misdreavus. :(

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

So. We spent how many hours getting Strength, and we are blocked again?! What?!

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
I can marginally accept the Fake Kiki thing because it's a ghost pokemon being a jerkass. Now you need to shove it in a box in the computer to suffer eternally in dullness, on principle.

How about editing in the ability to catch another one to use so you can achieve the revenge that you've earned against it without giving Amethyst any extra hold over you?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RareAcumen posted:

That was cruel, Misdreavus. :(

Yeah using the avatar of an actual dead person to freak out the player.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Silegna posted:

So. We spent how many hours getting Strength, and we are blocked again?! What?!

No, it looks like there's a way into the Yureyu building. Presumably that's the next area to go through.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Well, this update was certainly a wild rollercoaster.

I don't have a problem with ghost pokemon pretending to be humans to gently caress with people, as such. I'll even grudgingly accept them being able to talk, or telepathically project, or whatever. But how the gently caress did it summon an edgy Medicham? Or was that whole battle meant to be a hallucination?

Azza Bamboo posted:

Whether it's the ghost of Kiki or the ghost of Christmas past doesn't matter, having someone be all "you should feel bad for the bad thing you did" is rear end when the game did it in front of you.

This game is basically "Stop punching yourself, Raven"

In fairness, 'why did you sit and watch the lovely cutscene of other people's OCs, Raven? Why are you doing any of this, Raven?' is actually an extremely fair question.

Also OH MY GOD WE FINALLY MOVED THE GODDAMN ROCK IT'S A loving CHRISTMAS MIRACLE.

:fuckoff: Cain. Nobody gives a drat about your angsty past when you are a terrible poo poo-stain of a person. Your angsty past does not give you the right to be a terrible poo poo-stain of a person. Go away.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

ARBITRARY GLAMOR SHOT OF MY CAT:

:swoon: What a precious fluff! :3:

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I'm almost disappointed we can't make boulder jokes any more. On the bright side, between Pokearchy being verified and Raven standing a ghost of a chance, this was a great update. Also that's a very good cat pic

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Azza Bamboo posted:

Whether it's the ghost of Kiki or the ghost of Christmas past doesn't matter, having someone be all "you should feel bad for the bad thing you did" is rear end when the game did it in front of you.

This game is basically "Stop punching yourself, Raven"

At this point I feel less like Raven is any kind of protagonist and more like she's the Reborn equivalent of Vaan or Penelo, just wandering along, bewildered, in the wake of all this batshit loving lunacy, just to see how insane it can get.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

At this point I feel less like Raven is any kind of protagonist and more like she's the Reborn equivalent of Vaan or Penelo, just wandering along, bewildered, in the wake of all this batshit loving lunacy, just to see how insane it can get.

Vaan and Penelo had characters. Vaan may not have been the hero destined to save the world but he was on the journey for a reason.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Onmi posted:

Vaan and Penelo had characters. Vaan may not have been the hero destined to save the world but he was on the journey for a reason.

Raven is not afforded that courtesy.

As a follow-up.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Please count how many rocks we can push with our tally of Absols found and murders occured. We need to milk Strength for as much as we can.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

"... ...Why?"

This is of course different if we hadn't.

"But still, you let him kill me. Why did you kill me? Death is...
...cold...
...painful...
...lonely...
You feel the wind across your face, the warmth of your own body... You feel all the light of life and then, all of a sudden, darkness. The world slips away. Even your mind, your memories. You hear your heart stop beating. You feel your blood freeze. You try to cry, but you don't have tears to do so. You try to scream, but you no longer have a voice. Why would you do that to me?"

Ask the orphans.

"Did you loathe me? Did you cheer my disease onward? Were you just waiting for me to rot to peck at my corpse?"

Real Ghost Kiki, Pokemon just messing with the player, doesn't matter. Cal is a total fuckup and it was all his fault. I don't care how on board you are with these characters, Reborn is kidding itself if it thinks the player would take any of that to heart.

Raven did nothing wrong. :colbert:

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Psycho Knight posted:

Real Ghost Kiki, Pokemon just messing with the player, doesn't matter. Cal is a total fuckup and it was all his fault. I don't care how on board you are with these characters, Reborn is kidding itself if it thinks the player would take any of that to heart.

Raven did nothing wrong. :colbert:

You're absolutely right. Raven did nothing wrong. Raven isn't allowed to do anything wrong, because Raven has no agency.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Psycho Knight posted:

Raven did nothing

ftfy. This loving game.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LightningKimba posted:

Please count how many rocks we can push with our tally of Absols found and murders occured. We need to milk Strength for as much as we can.

One... two... three...

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Good update but this

I have no idea how homosexuality develops in the Pokemon world, which this ostensibly takes place in as Kanto's Silph Co. and Hoenn's Devon Corp. have offices here, so I won't bother trying to figure it out and just say what the heck!

is kind of a weird thing to say? Like, people are just gay sometimes

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

EightFlyingCars posted:

Good update but this

We just don't know how that egg got there.

(Honestly, I personally took it as "I'm not sure why it would be taboo", but no telling if that's what the actual intent was.)

EDIT: Looks like OFS went back and changed it and that's what was meant.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 18, 2018

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

EightFlyingCars posted:

Good update but this

gently caress I totally hosed UP MY WORDS and they ENDED UP TOTALLY WRONG!

poo poo!

Loops
Oct 20, 2011

This may be a dumb nit pick but the words Ame put in Cain's mouth re: his sexuality bother the poo poo out of me. He describes his sexuality as his "choices" as to with whom to "have fun with"? I have trouble believing that the "real" Cain, a teenager with a presumably abusive/homophobic mother would consider his sexuality to be a choice :crossarms: Just another wildly inconsiderate portrayal of someone else's character, I guess.

Loops fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 18, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

poo poo!

haha - How does homosexuality develop in the Pokeverse? We may never know.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

eke out posted:

haha - How does homosexuality develop in the Pokeverse? We may never know.

"That's why they call me the Pokemon Professor! Now, are you a boy or a girl?"

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

poo poo!

Ohhh I see what you were going for now! Okay. It's okay. :glomp:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It was meant to be "homophobia" as Cain's mom's homophobia is reminiscent of American WASPs views, but it's in a setting that's notably without the rest of the sociocultural elements that that would imply. Furthermore, this sort of intolerance is demonstrated by no other characters, as evidenced by Amaria and Titania being openly homosexual and literally no one cares they're both girls.

So it's just one character who hates her queer son. Perhaps it's because she decided to live in a toxic hellscape that she got a toxic attitude.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

For real though gay people don't live in the Pokémon world because as cool as it is to have a flaming chicken for a pet I haven't seen a single Lush anywhere in any of the games and that's pretty much my idea of hell

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

EightFlyingCars posted:

For real though gay people don't live in the Pokémon world because as cool as it is to have a flaming chicken for a pet I haven't seen a single Lush anywhere in any of the games and that's pretty much my idea of hell

There are hot springs and incense sellers. And pokemon that know Sweet Scent. You just have to improvise.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

EightFlyingCars posted:

I'd believe this but in the end I read this post in James' voice. He just emphasizes the word live to give the post a whole new meaning.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Loops posted:

This may be a dumb nit pick but the words Ame put in Cain's mouth re: his sexuality bother the poo poo out of me. He describes his sexuality as his "choices" as to with whom to "have fun with"? I have trouble believing that the "real" Cain, a teenager with a presumably abusive/homophobic mother would consider his sexuality to be a choice :crossarms: Just another wildly inconsiderate portrayal of someone else's character, I guess.

Yeah that was another fine gem of bad / ignorant writing.

To be fair there are a lot of people who try to pretend that sexuality is a choice and if you're not very intellectually curious / rigorous I can see people still believing that.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'd believe this but in the end I read this post in James' voice. He just emphasizes the word live to give the post a whole new meaning.

Have you seen his hair? You know he's all about that sea salt shampoo

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm all about the snow fairy hand soap and it bothers me that they only sell it during Christmas.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

I'm just staring at this and... it's a gigantic Strength puzzle hell that goes off-screen. In two directions.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Oh a puzzle with sliding pieces. OFS' favourite :allears:

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm just staring at this and... it's a gigantic Strength puzzle hell that goes off-screen. In two directions.

Honestly it looks more tedious than difficult, I'd imagjne the whole puzzle is making sure you just go down by pushing rocks left or right and hoping you don't hit a wall.

Boring and tedious: A Reborn story.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Although I guess Ame's hope is that Cain ran away instead of something else happening, it's still like... not a great handling. So about what I expected and I'd appreciate it if she didn't make him sound like a pedophile. Not a great way to talk about someone being gay.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

EightFlyingCars posted:

They live in an alternate Pokemon world where attract only works on same-gender Pokemon. :v:

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

PetraCore posted:

Although I guess Ame's hope is that Cain ran away instead of something else happening, it's still like... not a great handling. So about what I expected and I'd appreciate it if she didn't make him sound like a pedophile. Not a great way to talk about someone being gay.
"encounters with boys" is a pretty :wtc: way to phrase what apparently happened, yeah

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Black Robe posted:

I don't have a problem with ghost pokemon pretending to be humans to gently caress with people, as such. I'll even grudgingly accept them being able to talk, or telepathically project, or whatever. But how the gently caress did it summon an edgy Medicham? Or was that whole battle meant to be a hallucination?
I guarantee you've already put more thought into that scene than Amethyst did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Elephant Parade posted:

"encounters with boys" is a pretty :wtc: way to phrase what apparently happened, yeah

Yeah it really gave us an extremely negative impression of him as soon as we learned about that. I'm very happy it's only this, even though it's still horrible that such a situation happened to him in real life.