Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

AppleTV + DirecvNow + 3rd party apps = perfect for me. Add in plex and infuse and I've got all the bases covered and it's wife friendly.

My only complaint is Netflix doesn't feed into the TV app.

Part of Netflix's strategy is to make their app intentionally difficult to navigate so it seems like they have endless content (like Ikea). It's unlikely they'll ever connect to the TV app for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

That’s a hilariously accurate analogy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Amazon’s “list each season as a separate show” thing is worse.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

qirex posted:

yo wtf is with this

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

qirex posted:

Yeah wtf this is loving terrible too.

Also Netflix is always moving my list and I hate it they can gently caress right off with that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Part of Netflix's strategy is to make their app intentionally difficult to navigate so it seems like they have endless content (like Ikea). It's unlikely they'll ever connect to the TV app for that reason.

Ill still dream and complain about it :smith:

qirex posted:

Most of the time I interest with Amazon through tv.app

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Amazon and Fox apps are best interacted through via the TV app.

Also, adding sports to the TV app is great.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The TV App is a lot better than I expected but yeah i wish it was more seamless across services

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Kimoa Kid posted:

That's one of the reasons I'm ending my subscription after 10 years. Canceling Joel McHale show is another. Plus they have poo poo for content anymore.

I'm probably going to go with a re-up > binge select show > cancel cycle with them going forward.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

The remote is garbage and the platform is clearly a second tier concern for many content providers. I’ve been without mine for a month and using the Fire Stick in the meantime, and while you can watch it struggle with Kodi + Addons, most of the time I can’t tell the difference.

I think the best thing Apple TV has is the TV app, but unless you pay for networks you aren’t gonna see it doing it’s thing.

lol the Fire Stick is hot garbage vs ATV

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

lol the Fire Stick is hot garbage vs ATV

I’ve owned both for two years. It really depends on what you want to do?

The ATV is really good at some things but in part because of Apple decisions, like trying to promote games, refusing to include a web engine of any kind, and because of developer priorities it’s sort of a shitshow. And until I don’t have to login to Comcast in network apps and enter codes every loving week (the Fire device with a web based login seems to keep the cookie forever) I’m going to continue to call it a less awesome experience for someone doing what I’m doing, which is running a handful of network apps and Plex.

I mean I can’t blame Apple for all the problems, the lack of that Comcast streaming app that mimics the DVR frontend is entirely on Comcast, but the net effect is that I can say “I don’t enjoy this device as much as others for doing what I want to do” and you can’t tell me I’m full of poo poo; I genuinely believe you love your ATV but you must be doing different things than me. For example, maybe you don’t live in a Comcast market. Maybe you don’t value retro emulators. Maybe you don’t want Kodi. That’s fine, but for what’s important to me that makes it a lesser box.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

You are allowed to judge the quality of a product independent of your use case.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

To be fair Netflix really never had content, they were just kind of the first to corner that market

But hey free with t-mobile 🤷🏽‍♀️

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Matt Zerella posted:

AppleTV + DirecvNow + 3rd party apps = perfect for me. Add in plex and infuse and I've got all the bases covered and it's wife friendly.

My only complaint is Netflix doesn't feed into the TV app.

It definitely does. You may need to go into your settings and fix it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

Please show us where.

Netflix has not, and still does not, integrate with the TV.app

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Ummmm. No it doesn’t. It never has, and if it ever did it would kind of be big news.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So it sounds like the TV app is worth trying, maybe I’ll go back and revisit that.

Does Direct TV Now have decent DVR now? I have regular ATT internet and cable, and when I travel, UVerse doesn’t allow me to steam most cable channels to either my phone or Apple TV unless I’m on the same WiFi as the tv box, which is just infuriating. I have a year left in contract, so I’ll either be going to charter or finding an internet streaming option.

The main issue is last time I tested PS Vue, Sling, DTV Now, etc, and none of them got Jeopardy. Of all things, I need jeopardy plus DVRing of Jeopardy or i’ll basically get divorced (exaggeration, but it’s important).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

So it sounds like the TV app is worth trying, maybe I’ll go back and revisit that.

Does Direct TV Now have decent DVR now? I have regular ATT internet and cable, and when I travel, UVerse doesn’t allow me to steam most cable channels to either my phone or Apple TV unless I’m on the same WiFi as the tv box, which is just infuriating. I have a year left in contract, so I’ll either be going to charter or finding an internet streaming option.

The main issue is last time I tested PS Vue, Sling, DTV Now, etc, and none of them got Jeopardy. Of all things, I need jeopardy plus DVRing of Jeopardy or i’ll basically get divorced (exaggeration, but it’s important).

The DVR is fine for shows that have a set ending. It wasn't fun taping World Cup games and having to go through and tape the next 2 or 3 shows after in case it goes into OT.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That sounds infinitely better than cutting off right after regulation time.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That sounds infinitely better than cutting off right after regulation time.

Im used to normal DVRs where you can set an extended end time. It was annoying to go through and click a bunch of stuff and then multiple clicks to get them to record.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

Im used to normal DVRs where you can set an extended end time. It was annoying to go through and click a bunch of stuff and then multiple clicks to get them to record.

Yeah, extended DVR is both super useful and super basic.

I have a year left, so we will see. Charter will probably offer a pretty aggressive discount so I’ll be betting I try their cable/DVR anyway.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
How could you possibly have a problem with the remote? I don't understand.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Ummmm. No it doesn’t. It never has, and if it ever did it would kind of be big news.

While it doesn't have full integration stuff on there still comes up with searches, I think. It doesn't let you track it, add to up next, etc. though.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The remote with a silicone case thing is fine. Has replaced my harmony for ever day use as Cec works fine for me.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

kri kri posted:

Cec works fine for me.

This is more unique than King Arthur pulling the sword from the stone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah my tv is almost brand new and CEC works about 95% of the time.

If it worked all the time I could put the stupid tv remote in a drawer but I guess we ain’t quite there yet :shrug:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My problem with the remote is that it's small and I forget where I put it and then I step on it or sit on it which causes my TV to automatically switch inputs off of whatever I was watching at that exact moment.

Otherwise it's good and fine and really good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For those who have no CEC problems: one day you will, and you’ll never, ever be able to work out why.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

kri kri posted:

The remote with a silicone case thing is fine. Has replaced my harmony for ever day use as Cec works fine for me.

Same but replace silicone case with SideClick. 8 programmable buttons for my receiver and Tv in case one doesn’t catch the CEC command.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

kri kri posted:

Yeah it absolutely needs a silicone case. They’re stupid fragile (and unsurprisingly, expensive)

CEC is cool and good. Waking up and turning my TV off with the remote is cool & good. And it actually adjusts my Sonos playbar audio which other remotes usually have an issue with

In case y’all didn’t know hold the multi task button to bring up the option to sleep the ATV which if your TV isn’t garbage should turn it off as well. CEC cross compatibility can be bad but thankfully I have no issues

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 19, 2018

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I have a rubber band on my remote to tell which end is which in the dark, I don't think I'm really interested in getting a case for it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Are we all talking about the same remote? Why would you put a silicone case on the AppleTV remote? I'm so confused.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

American McGay posted:

Are we all talking about the same remote? Why would you put a silicone case on the AppleTV remote? I'm so confused.

So it doesn't slide around on my couch. Also the case has magnets and my coffee table has a metal frame.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The more I think about it the more it makes sense to me. For some reason when I heard "silicon case" I immediately thought of this:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Having tiled floors and a sofa that loves to make the remote slide like crazy meant it was only a matter of time before one of my ATV remotes got smashed.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Vince MechMahon posted:

While it doesn't have full integration stuff on there still comes up with searches, I think. It doesn't let you track it, add to up next, etc. though.

I have to apologize, this is was I was seeing, so I assumed it meant the app had TV integration.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have this guy on my remote in bright rear end red

Makes it easy to spot in a room and I haven’t lost it yet

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

My problem with the remote is that it's small and I forget where I put it and then I step on it or sit on it which causes my TV to automatically switch inputs off of whatever I was watching at that exact moment.

Otherwise it's good and fine and really good.

You should get an 11-month-old child. No matter what, my kid manages to find and grab the ATV remote.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
My fire stick is slow as hell and struggles to load netflix and hbo.

Hell, it doesn't even have a youtube app because google and amazon are in a pissing match.

I find all of apple's tiny remotes frustrating and the touchpad on the newest one gets in the way far more than it enables any new thing, but it's still a much better experience than the fire stick.

I might still prefer the apple tv3 to all of the other boxes. It's perfectly fast for my usage, I don't have a 4k tv, and some of the apps are a much worse experience on the atv4k than they are on the boring but supremely functional menus in the 3.

If you don't need 4k, the biggest issue with the 3 is that if something you want isn't on there, that's not changing.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Should an HDMI audio extractor like this work with an ATV 4K? I got one for my dad and it worked fine with his Chromecast & Roku stick (HDMI switch > audio extractor > toslink > old receiver).

My own use case would be hooking the ATV up to an entry-level soundbar. Just wondering if there’s like advanced encryption features or something that could be an issue with the 4K.

Might sound like a dumb/paranoid question, but I just discovered that the spare TV I’m using for this setup can only use the digital out for coaxial sources (possibly due to 2007-era copyright concerns???), so I feel like I can’t rule anything out!