Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So what do you guys do while grinding out your 3% Steal rates? I've watched Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee on Netflix and really enjoyed it. It's both funny and informative, and even Seinfeld is a bit of a crotchety old man, he seems like a fun and interesting guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I skip 'em because why bother.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I don't bother trying to steal if its that low. If its something I actually want, I'll buy it.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I buy them with Tressa as you never really need to buy anything from a store if you stealin.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So what do you guys do while grinding out your 3% Steal rates?
3% steals don't take that long if you're willing to burn your rep points trying. If there's only one 3% item in a town then burn rep 5x and scum until you get it.

If there's multiple items in one town that are 3% I'll go for the best of them and leave the rest for when Therion's level is higher. The exception was the Ceremonial (?) coin in Sunshade that I looked up and would sell for 25k, easily covering the rep fee. But I managed to get it on the first try.

Everything else I scum for to avoid burning rep. 40% and above is really just an inconvenience while 8% is "come back later". The 15% items are actually the most annoying. The expectation is that you'll successfully be able to steal it within seven tries, which is short enough to still be practical but sometimes when it takes 10 or more it's annoying.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

E: Primrose Ch4 chat

Barudak posted:

Its not good, mind you, mainly because of the main point which is the character isn't discussed anywhere near enough for it to mean anything to the player and holy moly does the dialog drag with Primrose's internal monologue, but on a certain level having the villain be unabashedly "there is no purpose, this just amuses me and I've done it to other people too because who cares why" was neat when the story sets up that there was some reason the whole thing happened in the first place and that there must be something else going on. Nope, sheer random chance this rear end in a top hat decided to do it and was in the place to do it so your whole life got ruined for no gosh darn reason.

You haven't actually "finished" the story yet because there is very much a reasonable motivation for why Simeon murdered Primrose's father.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 17, 2018

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ExcessBLarg! posted:

3% steals don't take that long if you're willing to burn your rep points trying. If there's only one 3% item in a town then burn rep 5x and scum until you get it.

If there's multiple items in one town that are 3% I'll go for the best of them and leave the rest for when Therion's level is higher. The exception was the Ceremonial (?) coin in Sunshade that I looked up and would sell for 25k, easily covering the rep fee. But I managed to get it on the first try.

Everything else I scum for to avoid burning rep. 40% and above is really just an inconvenience while 8% is "come back later". The 15% items are actually the most annoying. The expectation is that you'll successfully be able to steal it within seven tries, which is short enough to still be practical but sometimes when it takes 10 or more it's annoying.

I feel that on average it takes 5-10 minutes per item to get, which depending on how many items I'm getting is an episode or two of a thing. I haven't actually bought anything except for Alfyn's concoct ingredients. So I imagine I'm overequipped but it's nice to have good weapons, and it's not like I steal the things that are of no use to me; items meant to be sold I just ignore, since I never buy anything. I only steal weapons and armor, and if something costs less than 10k give or take, I just buy it. I scum for the 3 through 15% items if I need them, once it works if I have between 3-5 rep points left I continue, if I have 2 or less I burn them trying to get the 40-80% items. Then I start again. So far in reputation fees I couldn't have paid more than 70000 and I feel like that's generous, so it's all turned out to be a real bargain.

I really owe it to the portability of the Switch, I don't think I'd have bothered to do this if I couldn't do something else at the same time.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was glad to find there wasn't a leaf cap of 999,999.

Now to perform some capitalism!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you level therion/find the stealing books thats straight faster thsn ehat youre describing

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

and it's not like I steal the things that are of no use to me; items meant to be sold I just ignore,
But that completion check mark on the purchase/steal action!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

3% steals generally aren't worth it except really early on for stuff like the Golden Axe and Wizard's Staff which are, admittedly, insanely good until you start getting the post-ch4 items

after ch2 money becomes more or less useless outside of a few specific things like dragon vests and purifying dust so it's often easier to just Purchase stuff

e: though if you want to do 3% steals for laughs while doing something else then who am I to stop you, i've done dumber stuff for dumber reasons(capturing sub-bosses with H'aanit), play how you want

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I actually liked that part because you have Theater Primrose being blown away by this sinister puppet-master's genius machinations, and then when things are at their lamest the camera pans up to Real Primrose who is like "yeah i'm just gonna stab you, you loving lunatic"

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

E: Primrose Ch4 chat

You haven't actually "finished" the story yet because there is very much a reasonable motivation for why Simeon murdered Primrose's father.

this is why I think the finale should have been it's own 4-chapter story or whatever, there's a lot of legit cool plot revelations there but it's all super-rushed

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 17, 2018

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yinlock posted:

this is why I think the finale should have been it's own 4-chapter story or whatever, there's a lot of legit cool plot revelations there but it's all super-rushed

Yeah agreed, the game feels like a whole third act was cut, and the plot of it just dumped into the wrap up dungeon at the end. It also feels like there's a huge gap in dungeon content missing between where they expect you to be at the end of the Ch4's and where the final dungeon wants you to be.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yinlock posted:

I actually liked that part because you have Theater Primrose being blown away by this sinister puppet-master's genius machinations, and then when things are at their lamest the camera pans up to Real Primrose who is like "yeah i'm just gonna stab you, you loving lunatic"

I did wish that while what's his face is being dramatic and having all of those between-dialogue motions with Primrose that the actors on stage would mirror them.

Cyrus' Chapter 4 was more satisfying. Though the boss would've been a bit of a burden had I not done all them secret-things first.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Primrose C4

how was she having flashbacks to the day she was born

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm only watching the ending credits with one eye but I can summarize what's going on pretty well:

Cyrus blows things up.

Those background videos were a nice touch, though. I like this game's attention to the occasional little details -- I was pleasantly surprised when every character voiced the appropriate line for every skill.

I'm mad about the billion leaf, though.

chlorophylls
May 8, 2013

I'm gonna kill you.
https://twitter.com/BDFF_OFFICIAL/status/1030661727078105088

The Unbending Bat.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A baseball rendition of an octopath tune.

I love the accompanying image.

Defect Mechanism
Jun 2, 2005
Pants McGee's Shoost Butan
Okay. Finally got through ch2s and most of the way through ch3s. When can i get the superfun classes?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
They’re in the way to some of the Chapter 4 towns. They show up on your minimap just like the regular job shrines.

Defect Mechanism
Jun 2, 2005
Pants McGee's Shoost Butan
Neat. Ive read bits and pieces about certain ones cheesing the others. Was there an order to that at all? Or just "figure out what owns this mans and do that over and over"?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Dancer Divine skill and Reflective Veil own two of them, Sidestep owns the other two, but you need Runelord to completely cheese Warbringer.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sorry about that, I missed I had gotten a PM about the whole final dungeon shebang. There's now a link at the very top of the OP you can direct people to if someone asks about it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

NieR Occomata posted:

Like the reason why I enjoy Octopath Traveler as much as I do and have is because the story such as it is is placed firmly in the background because, coming off of BD 1 and 2, I sort of forgot how bad those games' stories are and how even by JRPG standards nobody's character motivations made any real loving sense. But boy did the end of Primrose's story sort of bring me back down to earth.

Eh, Primrose's Chapter 4 is honestly the worst of the Chapter 4s. If you can do that, you've basically done the worst of it. She's kind of opposite of Ophilia where her story starts off so strong but piddles out at the end, while Ophilia's start out unremarkable then picks up spectacularly towards the end.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'm just now coming back around to this, and am about to finish recruiting every character. So what's the deal with the party banter skits? Are they missable? Is there a handy guide out there for who I should bring to which chapter to see all of them?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ZiegeDame posted:

I'm just now coming back around to this, and am about to finish recruiting every character. So what's the deal with the party banter skits? Are they missable? Is there a handy guide out there for who I should bring to which chapter to see all of them?

They are missable, they only trigger off your active party members at specific times during the chapters.

You can find a guide for what order to shift the characters in or there's a compilation on YouTube.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Some Numbers posted:

Dancer Divine skill and Reflective Veil own two of them, Sidestep owns the other two, but you need Runelord to completely cheese Warbringer.

When I did Warmaster I had a merchant/warrior Olberic with as much phys def as I could get on him and he taunted and soaked the hits, with occasional sidestep for extra durability. You still need to be able to heal the party at times but a 4-5k hp Olberic being able to eat a turn worth of attacks goes a long way.

Runelord makes the fight easier but you can still cheese it just fine without aoe sidestep.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Olberic being able to Boost his Guard would also help a role as a tank.

I don't actually know how effective his Boosted Guard is though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I gave the final boss another try with a better party split. It went a lot better this time.

Post-game: It was nice that Kit got to talk to his dad briefly, but I was hoping that there'd be some communication between him at the party. I find myself rather unsatisfied with the conclusion.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Found a really cool video on Octopath Traveler's music so I have to share it with this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbSgRRiPtHY

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh I'm going to have to watch that, I've loved the music, I didn't expect it to be this good.

The game is good but one thing it sorely needs, is to allow you to change party members at any point in the game. I understand, if for gameplay, they don't want you to do it in dungeons or the field, but then let you have an in-menu option within towns only, because it's very trying to have to run to the tavern constantly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I just want them to have chest keys so I don't have to drag Therion around all the time.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Folt The Bolt posted:

Found a really cool video on Octopath Traveler's music so I have to share it with this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbSgRRiPtHY
:yeah: Composing with the melody front and centre is the best. I've never been a fan of "orchestral" soundtracks like you'll find in a lot of modern movies and games because while they can sound pretty epic they all kind of... sound the same.

I wish he didn't get some basic facts wrong in that video though. The NES-era consoles did indeed only have basic waveforms (and are true chiptunes) but the SNES onward used a form of sampling, and all those amazing and memorable soundtracks from the old JRPGs aren't composed of "primitive electronic pulse noises" at all.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

I just want them to have chest keys so I don't have to drag Therion around all the time.

Chest keys that you can only get from capturing a specific enemy in the area of the chest. Each captured enemy has a 2% chance to have a key on them.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I can live with low droprates but having to leave and re-enter a town to reset challenges is just the worst.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Duckula posted:

I can live with low droprates but having to leave and re-enter a town to reset challenges is just the worst.

Leave the area the challenge is in and then reload the autosave. Usually faster than reloading at a save point or leaving and re-entering town.

Battle tested gear behind 2 challenges is still the worst.

I could basically finish the game now with the levels and gear I have but I haven't done all the side quests to unlock it yet. I think I'm stalling because I had so much fun and after I finish the final boss I probably won't ever touch the game again. Although, I did replay and 100% Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and replayed XCX and probably did 95% of it. I guess with this game it's basically been a 100% run the first time through, which doesn't really leave any reason to come back to it.

I never played BD2 after burning out on BD1, but maybe that's what I'll try next after the FFVFJF and this game made me want to play JRPGs with jobs again.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 19, 2018

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Eh, I just make sure to go back immediately after finishing up an area. With the avoid enemy skills it's really not a big deal, you get maybe one or two fights running in, XP and JP is always good, get your item and fast-travel back to town.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I died in part two of the superboss fight, then saw exactly how much horseshit I'd have to redo and went "gently caress this", and watched the ending on YouTube.

What an underwhelming ending that isn't worth the amount of grinding I'd have to put in to make my B team not garbage. God. What a wet fart.

The story revelations were cool but otherwise seriously wow, gently caress the end of OT.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

NieR Occomata posted:

So I died in part two of the superboss fight, then saw exactly how much horseshit I'd have to redo and went "gently caress this", and watched the ending on YouTube.

What an underwhelming ending that isn't worth the amount of grinding I'd have to put in to make my B team not garbage. God. What a wet fart.

The story revelations were cool but otherwise seriously wow, gently caress the end of OT.

I honestly kind of agree with this. There were a lot of poor decisions that went into that final "sidequest."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The only positive is that you don't have to beat the final boss to get the good post-game lore since all that's hidden behind the initial bosses and ending is meaningless fluff anyway.

Otherwise, the lack of save points is pretty lame and the only reason to fight the final boss is for the challenge, which loses its appeal when you have to beat eight other bosses every single attempt.

The reward is a hilarious kick to the crotch too. Congrats, you've done the hardest content, now you can turn off encounters after having nothing left to do in the game!