Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

If going through Stormblood as a MNK got me any special dialogue, I sure as heck didn't notice it. Not even in the dungeon specifically made by a monk to train monks that features a monk boss at the end. :mad:

I like how even the Monk questline from 60 - 70 is like "Pugilists are so much better, you guys."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
If it helps, just remember you do two snap punches(side finisher) for every one demolish(back finisher.) That’s really all you have to remember.

Or fully commit to the drunk strat and spam Arm of the Destroyer until your tp is gone then beg for a goad in an all mage party.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You know what would make me buy a jump potion? If they put in crafting class jump potions. Don't want to manually grind my broke alt so I can fix my own gear.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

If going through Stormblood as a MNK got me any special dialogue, I sure as heck didn't notice it. Not even in the dungeon specifically made by a monk to train monks that features a monk boss at the end. :mad:

SAM is mandatory though, if only for the final showdown of 4.0.

I think Temple of the Fist has like an extra line if you're a Monk but it's just something like "Wow, you're a monk? Then you're just the man for the job!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like Monk is the most bullied Job Class story-wise.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
As it should be

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Monk rules because you punch and punching is cool.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Punching is the best. Though when you think about it, hacking at people with pointy implements of destruction is just tool-assisted punching so that's also good. It's those finger-wagglers you can't trust.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I feel like Monk is the most bullied Job Class story-wise.

I dunno, the machinist job quests are practically a 90s Disney sports movie complete with a down on his luck head coach, a disappointed father to impress and a bad guy preppy snob rival you have to beat.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I dunno, the machinist job quests are practically a 90s Disney sports movie complete with a down on his luck head coach, a disappointed father to impress and a bad guy preppy snob rival you have to beat.
Yeah it owns

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Huge chunks of the HW MCH quests made me think of Animal House.

It was good

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Got kicked from keeper of the lake for telling the tank where to pull the dragons. He will stand where he wants, and I better adjust.

Hello 20m queue.

What a good game.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

The best things about the MCH quests is there's always a snobby elf to shoot in the face.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Me after falling off the same drat jump that's super easy and I've it done before and :argh:

Swimming around and taking pics to ease the pain.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Got kicked from keeper of the lake for telling the tank where to pull the dragons. He will stand where he wants, and I better adjust.

Hello 20m queue.

What a good game.

We can only hope they never finished the boss

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

dmboogie posted:

there's a decent amount of text that changes but it's mostly minor flavor, so if you don't already wanna level the class it's not worth doing just for this imo

It's less the text changes and more that thematically an expansion that involves mostly murdering rear end in a top hat dragons just feels right being the job that specializes in said murder of dragons.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I’m going to hit 70 on my first class (SCH) soon. What’s the best way up the gear treadmill? I know to start with the 70 class quest.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

brainwrinkle posted:

I’m going to hit 70 on my first class (SCH) soon. What’s the best way up the gear treadmill? I know to start with the 70 class quest.

I just did as well, and have been following this

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Crossed Halberds are a real good housing item, with one slight problem

The goddamn shield isn't centered :suicide:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

brainwrinkle posted:

Useful mildly abusive trick: You can equip crafted items to meet the item level thresholds for the duty finder and then unequip it to avoid binding it, then gear up from the drops and sell off the crafted items.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Are swords available for marauders and warriors, or is each class completely tied to a single type?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Safeword posted:

Are swords available for marauders and warriors, or is each class completely tied to a single type?

The weapon is the class. This doesn't stop swords that look like paddles and greatswords that are giant clubs.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Alright, cheers! I have my eye on DRK as a later choice. The class story appears to be getting universal praise.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Where are all of the Elezen princesses?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

In another castle.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/FrischeNq/status/1031026018960588801

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

brainwrinkle posted:

Ask me to craft you a i350 main hand for ~160k gil.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

The weapon is the class. This doesn't stop swords that look like paddles and greatswords that are giant clubs.

Except that BLMs can use both 2 handed staves and 1 handed sticks with a shield!
Before level 50 at least.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Broly is pretty lame, yeah.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

AngusPodgorny posted:

I did the laziest simulation possible and plugged numbers into a spreadsheet, and over 180s got 15,450 potency compared to 16,150 potency, so 4.5% less. I didn't include ogcds in that, but they're a constant so that'd just decrease the percentage.

Another way to look at it is that since Demolish is already ticking either way, any dps loss comes from refreshing Demolish too often and only getting the 70 potency Demolish base instead of a 170 potency Snap Punch. Doing a perfect rotation would let me use Snap Punch 4 times every six combos instead of 3, so that's an extra 100 potency (less than one attack) every 18 attacks/36 seconds.

Unless there's some even more complicated optimal rotation out there than:
Dragon Kick - Twin Snakes - Demolish
Bootshine - True Strike - Snap Punch
Dragon Kick - Twin Snakes - Snap Punch
Bootshine - True Strike - Demolish
Dragon Kick - Twin Snakes - Snap Punch
Booshine - True Strike - Snap Punch, repeat
Which I don't know of, and I don't see what you could do without losing the buffs from Dragon Kick or Twin Snakes.

This doesn't take into account things like making sure the Demolish lines up perfectly with Hypercharge / Trick Attack / whatever, but I'm never going to script out a fight that perfectly anyway. My adventuring consists more of clicking raid roulette and ending up with 3 black mages and a dragoon that casts Dragon Sight on the tank.

that's definitely lower than i expected, although even before getting into party buffs you'd still be clipping your self buffed with RoF demolishes short, and 30% is non trivial but only every 90s

there actually is a newer monk rotation but the GCD structure is the same, TK is a DPS gain a decent amount of situations, and basically universally ending your Riddle of Fires with one at the very least, most of it is dependent on using a combination of riddle of wind and perfect balance to regain stacks quickly, and top parsers are doing it almost twice a minute, but that's probably a level of optimization beyond most people anyways

tbh i consider it a success in alliance roulette if people can keep their GCD rolling

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Ran a leveling roulette that landed on Sohm Al. Was on WHM, had a sprout SAM that refused to do any mechanics, a sprout tank (who at least learned quick when coached), and a bro AF SMN that made it at all tolerable. Tioman is a beast when you keep getting dead center meteors and one of your DPS is blind to all of the things on the ground or floating over his head.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I, too, have had harrowing runs of Tioman (Savage).

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

oh no blimp issue posted:

Except that BLMs can use both 2 handed staves and 1 handed sticks with a shield!
Before level 50 at least.

They can use them afterward too, it's just a bad idea.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Mage shield supremacy

Also don't equip your job stone so you can take more role actions. Little hot tip there.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Saint Freak posted:

Mage shield supremacy

Also don't equip your job stone so you can take more role actions. Little hot tip there.

Thank god that won't be a thing soon

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
a story in 2 acts

keep in mind, i'm also 2 mendacity from upgrading a 340 bracelet to a 360 one, too

https://i.imgur.com/38858Np.mp4

Phone fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 20, 2018

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

What the kupo did you just loving sing about me, you spoony bard? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Nymian Marines, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Ala-Mhiego, and I have over 300 confirmed clears. I am trained in avenger warfare and I’m the top scholar in the entire Gelmorran armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the gently caress out with chain strategems the likes of which has never been seen before on this Hydaelyn, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Linkshell? Not only am I extensively trained in reading combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Royal Nymian Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the continent, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” songwriting was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo miasma all over you and you will drown in it. You’re loving wiped, kiddo.

The googly eyes thing is the best easter egg they've put in this game. The rest of the swimsuit's cute too!

Phone posted:

keep in mind, i'm also 2 mendacity from upgrading a 340 bracelet to a 360 one, too

Honestly, since it's unlocked, I'd just run O5S to get accessories and save your Mendacity for bigger purchases. i370 without needing a token to upgrade, you might get lucky with drops, and if you don't it's only four clears per item. Sneak into a halfway-decent clear/farm party on Tuesday and you can probably get two items an hour. :eng101:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Wacky Delly posted:

They can use them afterward too, it's just a bad idea.

Well yes, but none drop anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

The googly eyes thing is the best easter egg they've put in this game. The rest of the swimsuit's cute too!

Googly eyes....?